Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: The first Recording "Our Love"

mlutthans is offline Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Granata View Post
    "airchecks" are the disc recordings made of broadcast (aired) radio performances. These are also commonly called "transcriptions."

During the pre-tape 1940s, the only way of providing a pre-recorded program to multiple stations within a radio network (CBS, ABC, NBC) was to record it on 16-inch acetate discs. Copies of those discs were made and distributed to the network affiliates around the country, who played them at the appropriate time in their broadcast schedules.

Chuck Granata
    I'd be curious to know how often that procedure was actually followed at the major networks. I think there may be a little bit of terminology confusion there, and please correct me if I'm wrong. For actual networks (NBC, CBS, Mutual, and ABC later on), practically everything was done live, with a few shows announced as being "transcribed," a fancy term for "pre-recorded." Transcribed shows that played on the NETWORKS were typically played from disc at the flagship station, i.e., WOR or another big NYC station, and that single disc's signal was fed down the line to other stations, just as were the live broadcasts. If stations (mostly on the west coast) had to time shift a show, the station would make their own instantaneous transcription disc locally, and rebroadcast that self-produced disc. (Again, this is what I've seen; perhaps your experience is different.) [I also suspect that west coast flagship stations like KNX or KGO would transcribe the east coast broadcasts and time shift those for availability via wire to the entire west coast network, but I don't know that to be the case.) To my knowledge, multiple disc copies were not distributed (typically) to individual *network* stations, as that would involve pressing discs in the typical commercial fashion, whereas most network discs were instantaneous cuts. I'm guessing there were exceptions.

Transcription was so frowned upon in some network circles that even in 1948 -- by which time transcription was becoming fairly common on the networks -- "Escape" on CBS would do an East Coast show live from Columbia Square on Sundays, and then re-do the whole show (at considerable expense) live for the west coast stations later in the week.

Syndicated shows -- on an ad hoc collection of stations, not a formal, established network -- often would press copies probably in the dozens for distribution as you outlined above. I've personally handled and played 16" syndication pressings from as early as 1932 ("Chandu the Magician," I think). Many will remember a Christmas series called, "The Cinnamon Bear," that was broadcast for many years via syndication, usually as an advertising tool for a local department store.

Several years ago, I got to do some work with the 16" discs of the Milo Ryan Phonoarchive, a famous collection of discs donated to the National Archives by KIRO in Seattle. The KIRO discs (all instantaneous cuts) were all catalogued, but many discs from Seattle NBC affiliate KJR had been added, and were not catalogued. (I got to do that.) Every disc that was a network show was an instantaneous cut made in the KJR studio (presumably for time shifting).

I don't know of any network shows that were distributed by sending actual disc copies to individual affiliates in the 1940s. It may have occurred, but I don't think it was standard practice, at least not for major prime-time broadcasts. For syndicated shows, it was de rigueur..

--Matt
    Last edited by mlutthans; 04-07-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typos

Ronald Sarbo is offline Diamond Member
    Most of these shows were transcribed by the Armed Forces Radio Service.

Question Question regarding Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour (radio)

Hello:

On the Library of Congress website (www.loc.gov) they state that they have the entire recorded collection of the Major Bowes Original Amateur Hour radio programs. I know that Frank 'auditioned' for Major Bowes as originally Frank Sinatra and the 3 Flashes? on Wednesday September 4, 1935 singing "The Curse of An Aching Heart" and then they were asked to come back now as the Hoboken Four on Sunday, September 8, 1935 and sang "Shine". (Can someone verify)? Anyway, it then would appear that afterwards (under several different group names) they went 'on tour' with Major Bowes. 1. Does anyone know if there are recordings of that tour (1935-36) and 2. Are there additional Major Bowes radio shows featuring Frank? 3. is there a catalog / listing of the people who appeared on Major Bowes on a given night? I know that the LOC has a complete listing of all the Applications people made to appear but that is a one by one search by performer name and I was wondering if there were additional listings showing who performed on a given 'episode'. Finally, the film about Major Bowes Original Amateur hour which premiered at Radio City Music Hall in October 1935 and featured Frank in 2 roles, is it available on DVD? Are there whole songs performed? and it seems that these performances would predate the September 8 appearance. I had read that the features of Frank were shot in the Bronx in July-August 1935...can anyone confirm this? Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to compile complete verifiable info on Frank up to and including his work with Harry James. Thanks much! JIM A - Bergen County, NJ

Did we ever get to hear this on the "Opening Page" ? I forget.

No, "Our Love" hasn't played yet on the opening page.

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

Smile This forum member

would like to request "Our Love" on the opening page.!
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Nancy is offline Administrator
    Try our search engine, Jim A.

There is a nice version of "Shine" on the CD in my book.
    DON'T DESPAIR

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

Nancy,

Is this the same version that Frankie Laine does?
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Shine and early Frank - LOC

Nancy:

Thanks, the CD and the book are excellent! It is a truly great addition to my Sinatra library.

I have been emailing a research librarian at the Library of Congress (LOC) and it does turn out that Frank Sinatra has at least 1 additional recording in 1936. This is all part of the Major Bowes collection that NBC (Inc.) donated to the LOC some time ago. Unfortunately, the catalogue (on line) only shows dates but not names of those who appeared on such dates. The Librarians are the ones who can obtain that information. The 1936 appearance was December 3 and Frank sang "Curse of An Aching Heart" with a group that called themselves The Swingsters. I am going to try and get further details.

Thanks for putting together such a great website...have a great weekend.

Regards,

Jim A
    North Jersey

Jim, "The Curse of an Aching Heart" was mentioned at the very start of this thread, but I think you have the details wrong. Frank left the Major Bowes cross-country tour in March 1936, so the date you were given does not seem correct.

According to some existing sources, "Curse" was recorded September 4, 1935, from a CBS radio broadcast of Major Bowes' Original Amateur Hour at the Capitol Theater in New York, sponsored by Chrysler. (That was four days before the "Shine" broadcast on NBC, sponsored by Chase and Sanborn.)

The performance is by The Hoboken Four. The actual aircheck clip which survives is only 0:44 seconds long, and it includes Major Bowes' introduction of the group which included Fred Tamburro, Jimmy Petrozelli, Patty Principe, and Frank Sinatra.

Curse of an aching heart

Bob:

Thanks, I am following up with the LOC presently. Also, they have the entire WOR radio (which originally broadcasted out of Newark, NJ) available. I am requesting a similar search in that archive.

It did seem unusual to me as well. And thanks for the confirmation on the September 4, 1935 date...do we know if that was the Hoboken Four's audition?

Finally, anything known about the "Swingsters"? Also, I am trying to get a copy of Will Friedwald's Sinatra: The Song is You...would you recommend?

Thanks for the info!

Regards,

Jim A

Quote Originally Posted by JIM A View Post
    Finally, anything known about the "Swingsters"? Also, I am trying to get a copy of Will Friedwald's Sinatra: The Song is You...would you recommend?
    Never heard of the "Swingsters."

As for Friedwald's book, I recommend it with a caution: It's long on opinion but sometimes short on verified or attributed details. Still, it's the major published work on Sinatra's music and certainly should be read by any student of FS. Much of his research seems to stem from personal interviews and word of mouth, and that can certainly lead to understandable inaccuracies. I do know of examples where he's been shown to be wrong, and that should be kept in mind by serious scholars.

BTW, he spends three paragraphs on Major Bowes (pp. 63-64). His book offers only the Sep. 8th date for "Shine," which has been widely circulated, including in Nancy's book. "The Curse of an Aching Heart" is only mentioned in passing.

P.S. I got the Sep. 4th date from two other sources; I can't confirm that as the audition date. In fact, a check just now of another book gives the audition date for "Curse" as Aug. 31st. None of these references provide what I would call authoritative sources, so you can take them all with the proverbial grain of salt.

George Lyons is offline Diamond Member
    You really pepper us with information, Bob!
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons

Oner is offline ENZO

Question "our love "

Hi Family ;

Has Frank's first recording "our love" been released or not ? Could u give me information ?
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Nick_Bradley78 is offline Diamond Member
    Thats been answered loads of times before actually in various places, but no, not officially released.

Oner is offline ENZO
    I searched it but couldnt find any topic...
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Nick_Bradley78 is offline Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oner View Post
    I searched it but couldnt find any topic...
    The first Recording "Our Love"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5