Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frank and Henry Mancini

Frank and Henry Mancini

Call me slow, but it just recently occurred to me that Frank Sinatra never recorded a Henry Mancini song. Does anyone know why?

I think Frank could have done a wonderful job with a song like Two For the Road.

Notwithstanding Andy Williams' attempts (yuck) Mancini had some wonderful sheets.

Thanks for your time.

Nancy is offline Administrator

Welcome Thomas...

I'm certain it wasn't intentional. Perhaps nobody suggested one. Dad was an admirer of Johnny Mercer who co-wrote some pretty great songs with Hank.

Are we SURE he didn't sing a Mancini song? The experts will tell us.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Of course Sinatra recorded Mancini tunes

1) From Moment to Moment (dunno what album)

2) Days of Wine and Roses (1964 Academy Award winners)

3) Moon River (ditto)

Andy Williams is a good singer IMO...and he did a fine job with Mancini's material.

Steve

Old Man Music is offline Platinum Member

Hey Steve you beat me to it

Nice going Steve
    got that post in there
    never under estimaite our members
    like Nancy said
    The Experts will tell Us

Frank
    Frank
    Old Man Music

***1) From Moment to Moment (dunno what album)
    2) Days of Wine and Roses (1964 Academy Award winners)
    3) Moon River (ditto)***

Add a forth one: DEAR HEART (1964 Softly As I Leave You album).

"(From) Moment To Moment" never made it to any album in the US. Reprise issued the 1965 recording only on a 45 rpm single. Of course now it is also available on the Reprise 20-CD-suitcase.

Mancini and Sinatra also performed together on Dec. 3, 1990, when FS was presented with the Ella Award by ASCAP. He did a duet with Ella (Lady Is A Tramp). Henry Mancini conducted the orchestra for the whole evening.

Another tidbit: MOON RIVER from the 1964 album is not the first Sinatra recording of the tune: In 1962, it was recorded for the Reprise album "Sinatra Conduts Music From Pictures And Plays", which contains instrumental tracks done with FS as conductor.

Bernhard.

I Stand Corrected

I stand corrected (as I thought I would). Thanks for the information. Still, it's clear that Frank and Hank never were together in the recording studio. Too bad; as I said before, I think Two For the Road would have laid out beautifully for Frank.

Frank & Hank would have been a catchy album title too.

Hank recorded exclusively for RCA. It would have been nice if an arrangement could have been worked out for them to make an album, but there were obvious contratual problems. As I said in another thread, Frank wanted to make an album at Reprise with Percy Faith but things couldn't be worked out with his label Columbia. Frank eventually did it with Don Costa (Sinatra and Strings). I once spoke to Mr. Mancini at a dinner for the Big Band Society in Los Angeles. He walked up to me as I was returning to my table and said, "Do you know where the men's room is?" I did, and told him where it was!

Frank with Percy Faith?

Interesting. For some reason I can't see Percy Faith arranging COME OR COME SHINE like Costa did. By the way, how did FS decide to pick Costa? How did they first meet? It would interesting to know.

But Faith did a great job on his recording of GONE WITH THE WIND (from the movie). I don't know if he was as modern as Costa.

Faith (along Ray Conniff) was Columbia's "house" arranger for many years. In fact Ray Conniff would do arrangements when Percy Faith was too overloaded.

Steve

***By the way, how did FS decide to pick Costa? How did they first meet? It would interesting to know.***

Sinatra himself says in interviews with radio personalities Sid Mark and Jonathan Schwartz (both broadcast in 1983, following Costa's untimely death in late January that year) that he and Costa first met when he (FS) was playing a concert date in Boston in the 40s and Don Costa, born in 1925, was the young guitarist hired for the occasion from local musicians. (I think Will Friedwald in his Sinatra book also has a section on the Sinatra-Costa story).

By the time Costa got to work with Sinatra for the first time, which was the "Sinatra & Strings" album project for Reprise in 1961, he had of course already gained at least a US-nation-wide fame as the "house-arranger" for Steve (Lawrence) & Eydie (Gormé), plus had been doing a lot of work for a variety of first-rate artists. No doubt Sinatra had him "on his mind" all the time.

Bernhard.

Percy also told me that another orchestra leader was considered or at least mentioned, Mantovani! Don't forget, as Bernhard says, Percy was a house arranger at Columbia. Have you heard of Tony Bennett, Johnny Mathis and Jerry Vale? Percy arranged albums for all of them and many more Columbia singers. Percy was Canadian born and one of the nicest people in the business I ever knew.

COOL ARTICLE

It talks about Percy Faith, Ray Conniff etc. and of course the MAN.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/franksinatra/sidebar.html

Ronald Sarbo is offline Diamond Member
    I always liked Faith's arrangement of Why Try To Change Me Now more than Gordon's.

Chuck Granata is offline Platinum Member
    Percy Faith often gets slammed because of his later recordings, basically over-orchestrated cover versions of contemporary rock tunes (Simon & Garfunkle, Beatles, etc.) BUT...in the early years, Percy Faith was a top-notch orchestrator and orchestra leader who made some fabulous and innovative recordings. Check out early LPs like "Delicado" and some of his radio transcription material - this guy was as sharp as almost any other arranger, and had a decidedly unusual flair for using exotic instruments and instrumentation. I, like Ron, prefer Percy's arrangement of "Why try To Change Me Now" to Gordon Jenkins's. It captures the wistful air that the song demands in a far more effective way. I think that if Frank had done a full album of ballads with Faith in 1952, it would have been a wonderful prelude to his early Capitol ballad albums with Riddle.

Chuck Granata
    BONX!

Ditto for me on Percy's arrangement of "Why Try To Change Me Now". Percy told me Frank came in to the studio alone with no entourage. Percy was recording with Mindy Carson just prior to Frank's showing up. A few takes and the song was completed and Frank said, "thank you" and left.

Bios of Nelson Riddle claim he was very jealous of Mancini and his income.

Of course Mancini wrote and composed far more music than Riddle.

Riddle perhaps greatest arranger.

2 different talents.

Ron,

Nelson at the end of his life was a very bitter man unfortunately. He was a great arranger, one of the best pop arrangers of our time no doubt. Although he remarried late in life, his true love was Rosemary Clooney. In the 80s right after the first Linda Ronstadt album came out there was a radio show on Nelson and his life that aired on several stations. I'm sure someone will be able to give the details. He spoke about his life and working with Nat, Frank and Linda amongst others.

Nelson and Henry

Ron,

Again I have learned something new from you.

I had no idea that Riddle was jealous of Mancini.

I have many of Riddle's recordings. He is an extremely fine talent.

I am very partial to Mancini's music. As a professional violinist, I played tunes like "Charade" and "Moon River" over and over again at receptions and weddings. When you are actually playing the music, it becomes even more beautiful and meaningful for you.

I believe Moment To Momemt was on Italian Voice Lp #1.

Also on 3 Lp set "Lonely At The Top" from South America.

I believe Nelson was jealous of Mancini's earning power, not his talent as an arranger.

Vinny :Moment To Moment on FS 5238, Voice 1 from Italy, not The Singles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast