Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Groovy Sinatra

<< forget, "Everybody's Twistin'" >>

(I may have said only half a quote there. )

I think that's a decade too early for Jason's tastes.

As someone who grew up with Hank Ballard, Chubby Checker, and Joey Dee and the Starlighters at the Peppermint Lounge, I have to say that Frank's attempt in 1962 never quite did it for me.

Ronald Sarbo is online now Diamond Member
    His 12 inch 78 of "Soliloquy" is very "groovy".

Meaning, you've worn down the grooves on yours, Ron?

RonnieC is offline Platinum Member

Thumbs up Classic 60's Sounds

I've always loved the 1968 Cycles album. It's a great example of "groovy" 60's music Sinatra-style. Both Sides Now and Pretty Colors are the standouts for me. Honorable mention also goes to the FAS versions of Downtown, Mrs. Robinson, and Don't Sleep in the Subway! He really "swings" these 60s classics! Don't miss the wonderful Downtown duet with Nancy on A Man and His Music II (available on DVD). FS was at his "grooviest" on the Francis Albert Sinatra Does His Thing TV special (also on DVD). He sings Sweet Blindness with the 5th Dimension and wears the love beads and Nehru jacket. When he suits up in the Nehru jacket, he tells the models assisting him to "...Lay them beads on me, Baby..." !!! He was having great fun here and the shows and music are a joy to behold!

I've posted a photo of the 1968 TV guide promoting the Francis Albert Sinatra Does His Thing TV special!

Ron

Ron, see also the thread in Frank on TV:

Francis Albert Sinatra Does His Thing

And the Magazine Covers thread:

http://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showt...535#post379535

******The three Joe Beck disco arrangements from 1977 (including "Night And Day" and "All Or Nothing At All") were on CD only in The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings box set.****

Actually, only those two you mention by title, Bob. (Both done in overdub technique, by the way). The third disco arrangement by Joe Beck, which was "Full Moon and Empty Arms" (a tune Sinatra had introduced for Columbia in 1945), was completed but rejected by FS and he never recorded his vocals to it.

"Everybody Ought To Be In Love" (the Paul Anka song) was no disco arrangement, but a ballad chart done by Charles Calello (one of the "Watertown" arrangers from 1969). Sinatra also used the tune extensively on his 1977 TV special "Sinatra & Friends".

Either of these certainly ain't my kinda groove... talk about A Swingin'Affair or whatever Capitol Riddle, rather.

Bernhard (... yes, I know, I said... but... )
    Last edited by bvo35; 01-31-2006 at 04:04 PM.

I have never heard those songs before. I'll have to give them a listen.

Another recording that I like very much is his rendition of Paul Anka's Anytime (I'll Be There).The song was a 1975 Reprise single and only available on the big 20 CD suitcase set.
    Ron

<< "Everybody Ought To Be In Love" (the Paul Anka song) was no disco arrangement, but a ballad chart done by Charles Calello >>

Thank you, Bernhard. Sorry for the misinformation above (hasty typing). This song does share some heritage with the two Joe Beck disco tunes, though, which is why they were played together on the Sid Mark show which prompted this thread:

All three were recorded on the same day—"Everybody Ought To Be In Love" in the morning, and the Joe Beck tunes (voice overdubbed) in the afternoon.

[ Slight edit to wording above due to Bernhard's post below. ]

"Everybody Ought To Be In Love" was released on the flip side of the Reprise single containing Beck's disco "Night And Day." ("All Or Nothing At All" was never released; it remained in the Reprise vaults until 1995.)

Not my "groove," either.

****All three were recorded (voice overdubbed) on the same day—"Everybody Ought To Be In Love" in the morning, and the Joe Beck tunes in the afternoon.****

Well, partly yes, Sinatra had two sessions that day (February 15, 1977), at Media Sounds in New York City. The afternoon was for the overdub of the two Joe Beck disco tracks (orchestra pre-recorded) - but the morning session, I think, was no overdub thing?
    There had been an orchestral track for "Everybody Ought To Be In Love" from January 17, 1977 (recorded in Hollywood at Devonshire Studios), but as far as I see the documentation, that one hasn't been used for the Reprise record, in favour of a "real live" studio orchestra recording with Frank on the morning of Febr 15 at Media Sounds for this song (there's also a Union sheet for the morning session listing the musicians).

Ah anyway, that trivia again!

Of the disco "Night And Day", Reprise also released a "maxi single" (an LP-sized 45rpm vinyl that was en vogue at a certain period of time, as many of you will remember).

I find it quite fascinating how these disco recordings get their listeners today (while the disco "Night And Day" in 1977 didn't make the charts). It's another proof for how differently all of us keep listening to Sinatra - for me (and especially because FS did so many wonders with this Cole Porter gem throughout his career, romantic ballad, swing tune etc.), the Joe Beck thing is quite a "slaughtering of a standard" that even an FS vocal couldn't save much from being nadir.

That goes only for the studio-mixed recording, however - Sinatra used the disco-beat arrangement in countless concerts as opener from 1976 onwards (until 1978 or so), much prior to the Reprise record, and when played by a "real life big-band" rather than the mushy-sounding synthesizers of the Joe Beck studio track, the chart grabs indeed!

Bernhard.

<< but the morning session, I think, was no overdub thing? >>

I believe you're right; original post corrected.

The orchestra tracks for the afternoon (disco) session were recorded months earlier, October 6, 1976, in New York. Some of the same musicians played at the morning session for the "Everybody Ought To Be In Love" recording with FS.

<< Ah anyway, that trivia again! >>

Yep Bob - now it matches exactly my information. The Oct 6 1976 orchestral thing seems to have taken place at A&R Recording, NYC, re the Union contracts. A slight question mark remains, though, as there are also sheets indicating a February 14, 1977 orchestral recording for the Joe Beck tracks at NYC. Anyway, the basic line for Sinatra's vocal on both disco tracks is: "overdub".

Which should be called "underdub"

Bernhard.

Chuck Granata is offline Platinum Member
    I still find the beat and tempo of "Everybody's Twistin'" irresistible. It always reminds me of The Patty Duke show...
    BONX!

It's a swingin' Twist record!!!
    Ron

What!!

Sinatra recording in the morning and afternoon hours? Isn't this most unusual since practically all his recordings were in the evening..and usually after 7 PM? It seems to me he always felt his voice was much better in the evening. Mr. Crosby, however, preferred the morning hours.

What gives?

Holmes

I kinda gave up Paul Anka when he recorded that nauseating tune "You're Having My Baby."

Emily

Anka

The newest cd from Anka.. He was singing Rat pack songs..
    He tries as best as he can to do it as Sinatra. But he doesnt make it.. i dont think he is much of an singer at all.. But a fine song writer and a good preformer

But you know, many people try to do it as Sinatra, but nobody makes it. Not sinatra... nono. nobody will ever make it. Its maby best that way..

What about Pocketful Of Miracles, or It`s A Wonderful World? Old Devil Moon has a great groove! Or The Boy`s Night Out or Then Suddenly Love(I adore this song)? I agree, Feeling Kinda Sunday or Life Is Such A Trippy Thing are great! I loved them from the first hearing!

Gerald is offline Jerry

Cool Watertown

I found "Watertown" one of the most "groovy" album in my whole record collection. Frank Sinatra recorded concept albums very long time before it became usual in the end of the 60's and during whole 70's (some with 20 minutes long songs). A great album way ahead of its time.

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

I agree

I enjoy "Watertown" so much. I sit and listen to the entire CD every time finding something new.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast