Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sounds of Sinatra - Radio

Sounds of Sinatra - Radio

How many of you Sinatrafiles have longed to hear more of Frank on the radio?

One of three of our local stations (A.M.) is an "Easy Listening" station that plays all the oldies - and onlyabout once every three hours they treat us to Frank, which is just a teaser. The F.M. stations play nothing but crap. However, for years I've heard about the syndicated Sid Mark weekly radio show that is two hours of nothing but Frank. But there is no station that we can get that carries it.

After much searching and investigating, a friend of mine found out that Sid has a web site where we can pick up the show on the computer. He e-mailed me the site, and it's WONDERFUL. Two solid hours of Frank - and you can log into it anytime of the day or night. I think it changes every Friday. Today the program consisted of 31 or 32 songs from 1939 to 1966, including 4 or 5 songs from that swinging concert in Melbourne, Australia with Red Norvo's Quintet.

I think it's alright if I mention this because there was a short promotional spot during the program of Nancy and one of Barbara.

If anyone is interested and not already aware of the show (it's called "Sounds of Sinatra") the web site is:
    http://www.nj.com/sinatraradio/

Joanie

Talking Thanks

thanks alot for the heads up on that i checked it out and i really liked it

Fred Morgan Guest

Talking Lucky Philadelphia!

We are very fortunate here in the Philadelphia.

We have the "Sounds of Sinatra" with Sid Mark every Saturday & Sunday morning. It can be found at 1210 AM radio.

There's also another AM station (WPEN - I think it's 950) that plays a solid hour of Sinatra from 11:00 - 12:00 Mondays thru Fridays.

If you can get these Philly stations, check them out.
    If not, sorry for rubbing it in.

Fred

Fred Morgan

You Philadelphians are SOOO fortunate to be able to hear the Big Man on the radio. Sid Mark's show is wonderful - but when I listen on my computer it ties up my telephone for 2 hours. Do I have to get another telephone line? Have to find out what to do.
    Jonathan Schwartz (sp?) in New York has had a Frank show for years, too.

But, I live in Michigan and even in Detroit (fairly large town) 100 miles away, I haven't found a Sinatra syndication. Sid Mark's son told me yesterday that they have tried to get the show into Detroit, to no avail. Darn!!!!

So I just hope no one important tries to reach me by phone, like
    the Lottery, telling me I've won a million.

But I'll take my chances for Frank!!!

Thanks for your reply - glad you know what I'm talking about.

Talking The Sounds of Sinatra

If any of you are from the Minneapolis area, Sid Mark is on every Saturday afternoon from 4:00pm-6:00pm on KLBB 1400AM and 1470AM. It's a great show with a lot of facts, insight, and rarely heard songs. I also love the "Then and Again" spots, where Sid plays the same song, but with a different arranger or different record label - it's a great comparison to see how the music changed over the years.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but it's a great thread!

Thumbs up Sid Mark

Hi all,

Please inform Mr. Sid Mark that in the interests of fair play, he must emigrate to the U.K. and re-appear on BBC Radio2 where he had a short run in the early 90s. We all too rarely hear FAS on U.K. radio these days.

Sounds of Sinatra Radio

Hi, Sharon Muecke

Yah, the Sid Mark show is a fantastic place for new Sinatrafiles to learn a lot about the Master. Maybe they don't yet have all his collections and compilations, and learning all there is to know about his artistry takes YEARS of study and concentration. But then, can we possibly know EVERYTHING he did???? Sid this week includes a wonderful example of the "Then and Now" feature that you mentioned.

He played three versions of Frank's "All Or Nothing At All" - the first rendition from 1939 with Harry James (wow, 62 years ago); the second was Don Costa's arrangement from l961; the third from 1966 with Nelson Riddle. ALL EXQUISITE.

A person really needs to be exposed to his entire career, from the beginning to the very last, in order to even begin to appreciate just how unbelievable he is - I say "is" because I feel he's still around. We'll always have him through his INCREDIBLE music.

Sid Mark

Hi all, i agree with phil, ther isn't enough Sinatra played on the radio here in England.Maybe Sid could air his show on the BBC WORLD SERVICE ,then we all could hear Sid Mark where ever we are!

Thumbs up Sounds of Sinatra

Hi Joan

I'm so glad you have found the Sounds of Sinatra with Sid Mark on the radio. I've been listening to it for 3 years and just love it In fact, I'm listening to it right now

If anyone is ever around the Quad Cities (Davenport and Bettendorf, Iowa and Moline and Rock Island, Illinois) it is on WKBF am 1270 on Saturday from 10 am to 12 noon. This station plays all of the great standards, big band, etc. Thank heaven there are still some radio stations that play good music

Keep listenin'

Thumbs up Sounds of Sinatra site

Joan and Everyone,

Check out Sid Mark's site: SoundsofSinatra.com

Great site

Enjoy

Thumbs up Then and Again

Sharon,

I love the "Then and Agains" too. I am always amazed by the growth and change in Frank's voice. The "Then and Again" sections show that off so well.

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

Smile

Thanks so much for the Sid Mark site. We are very lucky in Fort Myers, Florida. They play Frank's music all day on 106.5 FM. Also Sid Mark is on all day Sunday. So I can take my cd's or listen to the radio and hear the music I love. Sid Mark has a pretty good show. Love to all, Leatrice
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

I can receive WPHT out of Philly and Sid Marks shows(live, not syndicated)can be heard from 8am to 1PM on weekend mornings. He did those shows on WWDB on FM for 45 years before that station switched to a bland contemporary cookie cutter format.

Up until a couple of months ago you could get Sinatra all day Saturday on the radioin the New York area.1460AM in Westchester carries twelve hours of Frank from 6am to 6PM, WPHT 8AM to 1PM, WVNJ from 10am to 2PM, WLUX on Long Island from 4 to 7pm, Mark Simone on WABC from 6 to9PM and Jonathan Schwartz on WNYC from 10pm to Midnight. Simones show was sadly cancelled in June and Schwartz show now is also gone, but that still leaves a lot of Sinatra listening on the weekend.

Asides from the Beatles ,Elvis and Perry Como,I don t believe any other recording artist has programs just featuring his music..and Sinatras music is still programmed more frequently in special programming than any other artist..and deservedly so.

DanaDuffy is offline Silver Member
    Sounds of Sinatra is great! Unfortunately, I can't get the AM or the FM station that it's broadcasted on down here in Tampa anywhere other than my car! Sometimes I just drive around for two hours!! The variety of Frank songs that they choose to air each week is amazing.
    For those of you in the Tampa area, it's on Saturdays from 4 to 6 pm on WGUL.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

Sounds of Sinatra

Rick, so disgusted with the radio stations here in Mid-Michigan. Have tried for years to find the Sid Mark show. What's the matter with these jokers, anyhow? But so thankful I found out about his web site.

Thanks for all your information - maybe it will help someone else.
    'Preciate it!

Found a station in Cincinnati, OH (WSAI AM) that features Frankie
    from 5:00 to 7:00 every night, but reception from Lansing, MI is baaaaaad! And can't find anything on FM. Decided my home state is nerdville!

Joanie S.

Unhappy Rub it in! Rub it in ! Rub it in!

I'm so jealous of each of you that gets the Sid Mark show. We used to have it in Chicago years ago and now NADA !!

Can you imagin Frank's kinda town and no - I mean - NO - Sinatra anywhere!! The public NPR station that plays jazz will sometime feature him but no other station in the city plays Sinatra.

What a shame that this "toddlin town" has not one station that's interested in FAS

The Capitol records web site also has a Sinatra lounge that plays Frank online-it's pretty cool

Oh well this "Jealous Lover" of the Sid Mark show will have to listen to him online-thanks for the info!!!

Mark

Cool lucky people you!

WOW! You people living in the US of A are really lucky! Over here in Belgium, we don't have those kind of 'specialized' radio stations. Although, now I think about it, there is a station in Antwerp called Minerva, which only airs music of the Golden Years. And indeed, from time to time, there is a Sinatra tune. Shame it's a very local station
    On the national radio there used to be a weekly show called 'Gouden Jaren' (Golden Years, for those of you who don't speak Dutch ) Every week there was an 'item', and for about 5 years it was Sinatra. Every week two lovely (of courzzz!) songs.
    And on His birthday there was a special: only Sinatra music. Again shame it's no longer aired. Luckily I have a vivid imagination, so I hear His music in my head all the time...

Dear Siouxcillian,

That's INCREDIBLE! Who could believe that Chicago, of all places, doesn't have radio access to a Sinatra show? Likewise my home state "Big City", Detroit. I could spit!

However, I did read someplace that Chicago was considering a statue of it's legendary benefactor somewhere around Rush Street. Have you heard anything about it? Last I heard, New York hadn't approved Mayor Giuliani's proposed statue, either. I've written 4 or 5 letters to the Mayor's office urging them to please go ahead with it. I'm sure he got the letters because he or his staff responded with thank you's. Personally, I think there should be a BIG statue right out in the harbor with the Statue of Liberty! Who, better than our Entertainer of the Century more personifies the realization of "the American Dream", and who has given more in every way to the whole world?

About Chicago - I also heard that the Roosevelt School of Music was going to initiate a Frank Sinatra course in their curriculum. Know anything about that?

Well, the very least that city could do would be to offer his music on the radio on a big scale. I get so weary of hearing about nothing but murder, rape, burglaries, fires, highway accidents, politics - nothing to lift one's spirits - on ALL radio stations.

So I'm REALLY happy to have found the Sid Mark web site. Nice thing about it, we can listen to it any time of the day or night
    any and every day of the week!!

But I'm going to have to get another phone line - the broadcast ties up my phone for two hours. But for Frank, that's a small sacrifice!!

Thanks for your reply - let's keep passing the word, huh?

hoosierelvisfan Guest

Sid Mark is the best

I lived in Philadelphia for around 8 years. I have since left there, but one of the few things I miss about living there is Sid Mark and the Sounds of Sinatra Show. When I lived there, it was on WWDB twice a week. For three hours on Friday, it was called "Fridays with Frank" and another three hours on Sunday called "Sundays with Sinatra." I really do miss listening to those six hours per week! Thank you for providing the link, though. I was not aware that it was available via the internet, I'll have to give it a try.

Signed,
    Respectfully,

Todd

Thumbs up Chicago Info

Hi Joanie-

I heard that the city was planning a statue of FAS in the Rush Street area where there is a little park-almost an island where State and Rush merge together. That portion of Rush Steet was re-named Frank Sinatra Way. It's right were all the action is-Gibsons Steakhouse, Jilly's-yes named after the fabled one in NY and if you're a Sinatra fan a place to visit-loads of photos and Frank's music and that of Dean and the gang playing nitely. It's not the Rush Street of the 60's-I was too young to visit such a place... As of yet though no official announcement of a statue. It would be in a great place-only a few blocks down from Frank's favorite hotel in the city the Ambassador East and the famous Pump Room.

Roosevelt University has I believe a Scholarship in Frank's name and has some music courses that are offered in music appreciation of Sinatra. (I think I'll go back to school and get in A+ in FAS 101) Frank Jr played a benefit for the university about 2-3 years ago. I don't really know what the entire music ed program has to offer but I'll find out for you- I've got a few friends who teach music at Roosevelt.

Thanks for the info on the Sid Mark site-

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast