Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: THE ESSENTIAL FRANK SINATRA (Columbia 3 LP Set) 1967

lorenzotedesco is offline Gold Member

Thanks for bumping this thread

This is a great set. I have a used original copy and a pristine French reissue that came out in the 80s. Thanks to Edwin for the bump and the comments and same for the other posters here. And Bob too. And ex-forum member Bernhard who places this album in the context of other Sinatra efforts at that time. To think that the impetus for this collection could possibly be the success of "Strangers in the Night". Who'd a thunk it? I like considering historical events juxtaposed to other events occurring at the same time as opposed to looking at them in a vacuum so to speak. This set also became a collectible rather quickly. I wonder if it sold well at the time considering that it was a three album package. Who was buying this material in the late 1960s?

The thing about this set that is special as has been well documented in this thread is that so much of the material had not been released in album form before. And it didn't simply cover FS's hits. It went deeper. But then as Bernhard states it came out at the same time as the two greatest hits Columbia albums so since they took care of the hits this album was free to focus on the less known material. I wonder how the other Columbia release from this time fits into this theme. That would be "Frank Sinatra in Hollywood 1943-1949". I do not see it in the album section of this forum so I just ran up stairs and found my copy. The liner notes are dated 10/2/68. So take the Essentials set, the two greatest hits albums and throw in the Hollywood set and one can see that Columbia was busy repackaging their Sinatra material much to the satisfaction of record buyers like me (and the other senior members of this forum).

Larry
    Last edited by lorenzotedesco; 02-03-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzotedesco View Post
    "Frank Sinatra in Hollywood 1943-1949". I do not see it in the album section of this forum so I just ran up stairs and found my copy. The liner notes are dated 10/2/68. So take the Essentials set, the two greatest hits albums and throw in the Hollywood set and one can see that Columbia was busy repackaging their Sinatra material
    The In Hollywood 1943–1949 LP (Columbia CL-2913) followed this one by a year and a half, on March 24, 1969. It also contained several unreleased tracks.

Another related Columbia issue a few years later, October 25, 1972, was In The Beginning 1943–1951, which was a repackaging of the two Greatest Hits, The Early Years volumes.

Rich K is offline Gold Member
    I recall that in the '80's, the Essential set was considered a rare item and commanded some premium prices before many of those songs found their way onto cd. While the packaging and the contents are very special, the sound quality of many of the songs is not what is available now. In fact, I recall one review of the album that said some of the songs sounded as though they'd been recorded through a wad of Kleenex.
    The Frank Sinatra in Hollywood album, on the other hand, was my first experience at hearing the early Sinatra with true clarity. Someone paid attention to more than the packaging on this one. Once I get a cartridge for the old turntable, I'll see if I still feel that strongly about this set.
    As far as the fake stereo on some of these '60's releases, Columbia's version was (thankfully) pretty mild compared to the echo chamber effect you get on the Capitol versions.

Nancy is offline Administrator
    Someone paid attention to more than the packaging on this one.
    Does the name Charles Granata mean anything to you?
    DON'T DESPAIR

Nancy, we're talking about the 1969 Columbia LP in this thread, not the later day CD box set that Chuck produced.

Nancy is offline Administrator
    The Frank Sinatra in Hollywood album, on the other hand, was my first experience at hearing the early Sinatra with true clarity. Someone paid attention to more than the packaging on this one.
    Sorry,
    I should have used more of the quote.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Sorry, I should have used more of the quote.
    Wouldn't matter. Frank Sinatra In Hollywood 1943–1949 was the title of the 1969 LP which Larry and I mentioned above, and which Rich was talking about.

BTW, it contained all Columbia studio recordings (including some rare alt. takes)—not the film versions such as are in Chuck's Frank Sinatra In Hollywood (1940-1964) box set.

FRANK SINATRA IN HOLLYWOOD 1943-1949 (Columbia LP) 1969

FRANK SINATRA IN HOLLYWOOD 1943-1949
    Compilation LP
    Columbia Records (CBS Inc.) CL 2913
    March 24, 1969
    16 Tracks

Cover montage of movie stills by John Berg
    Notes by Miles Kreuger

SIDE A
    1. I Couldn't Sleep A Wink Last Night
    2. The Music Stopped
    3. A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening
    4. I Begged Her
    5. What Makes The Sun Set?
    6. I Fall In Love Too Easily
    7. The Charm Of You
    8. The House I Live In (That's America To Me)

SIDE B
    1. Time After Time
    2. It's The Same Old Dream
    3. The Brooklyn Bridge
    4. I Believe
    5. Ever Homeward
    6. (I Offer You The Moon) Señorita
    7. If I Steal A Kiss
    8. The Right Girl For Me

Rich_Silverman is offline Gold Member

FRANK SINATRA IN HOLLYWOOD 1943-1949 (Columbia LP) 1969

I don't see a better place for this comment, but I just picked up this album. Is it just me or do these tracks sound slightly speeded up, like they increased the speed to cram more onto this set? I know all these recordings, and I think they sound fast here.
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2