Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: A MAN AND HIS MUSIC (Reprise) 1965/Part II 1966

A MAN AND HIS MUSIC (Reprise) 1965/Part II 1966

Reprise Double CD - A unique career-spanning anthology of 1960-1965 recordings, released as a tie in with television special of same name. Featuring FS' scripted narration, including 3 newly-recorded tracks++

Won 1966 Grammy for Album of the Year
    The Deluxe First Edition LP set was packaged in a slipcase with booklet - below (right).

Double CD re-released through Universal Music Group 2011

Last edited by Marty; 02-18-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: re-release info added

A MAN AND HIS MUSIC

Arr/ Cond ("with orchestras of") Nelson Riddle, Gordon Jenkins, Billy May, Sy Oliver, Count Basie, Ernie Freeman, Johnny Mandel, Don Costa

++ recorded in 1965 for this album:
    1001 Come Fly With Me 03:12
    1002 I'll Never Smile Again 02:14
    1004 Love And Marriage 02:13

Full versions of all Frank Sinatra tracks (except **) from AMAHM / AMAHM Part 11 available on THE COMPLETE REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS. Go to:
    The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings 1995

DISC 1
    Put Your Dreams Away
    All Or Nothing At All
    I'll Never Smile Again ++
    There Are Such Things
    I'll Be Seeing You
    The One I Love Belongs To Somebody Else
    Polka Dots And Moonbeams
    Night And Day
    Oh, What It Seemed To Be
    Soliloquy
    Nancy
    The House I Live In
    From Here To Eternity - dialog extract from film **

DISC 2
    Come Fly With Me ++
    How Little We Know
    Learnin' The Blues
    In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
    Young At Heart
    Witchcraft
    All The Way
    Love And Marriage ++
    I've Got You Under My Skin
    Ring-A-Ding Ding
    The Second Time Around
    The Summit - onstage comedy routine - Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr
    The Oldest Established Permanent Floating Crap Game In New York Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin
    Luck Be A Lady
    Call Me Irresponsible
    Fly Me To The Moon
    Softly, As I Leave You
    My Kind Of Town
    The September Of My Years

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A compilation LP of Frank & Nancy Sinatra studio recordings
    THE FRANK SINATRA CBS TELEVISION SPECIAL - A MAN AND HIS MUSIC PART 11 was released in 1966 on a limited basis as a tie-in with that television special.

Fly Me To The Moon
    The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
    You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You
    Bang Bang - Nancy Sinatra
    On Broadway - Nancy Sinatra
    That's Life
    Downtown
    The Boots Are Made For Walking - Nancy Sinatra
    Luck Be A Lady
    My Kind Of Town
    Angel Eyes
    Put Your Dreams Away

note: Frank's fake mustache is part of the original photo

Link to earlier thread (which cannot be merged with this discussion)

(Thanks to Bernhard bvo)

Jeffrey Simmons is offline Platinum Member

Question

I am not sure if we are talking about the 1965 double album set or the TV specials.
    JEFFREY

DOUGofOHIO is offline Fan since the 1940's

Post ?????--Man & His Music-Part 2

Good chilly (11°F) morning from
    the Midwest:

Youse guys are lucky...I never saw that album in any of the stores here in the Midwest.

Wow, what a collectors item!
    Respectfully,
    The journey's long, much longer that I reckoned, in any throng, I'd know her in a second......

Question Question

I have the special edition. Did Frank really sign the little mounted cards? I want to believe he did. I know "auto writing pens" get used in some limited edition projects.

Shane, not sure what you are talking about here - the 1965 Reprise 2-LP set "A Man and His Music", the 1966 Budweiser Promo LP issued by Reprise entitled "A Man and His Music Part II", or any VHS edition of the real TV specials of 1965 (A Man and His Music) or 1966 (A Man and His Music)?

Combining all of these here in one thread sure is very confusing (and I would strongly recommend to make separate threads for the 2-LP aka 2-CD set, the 1966 LP, and the two DVDs/Videos of the shows, because they are all entirely different and not connected to each other whatsover), but so my question, what you are referring to in your post. The Budweiser LP? That is the only one of those currently assembled in this thread that had a limited edition. I bought my copy second-hand and didn't get any signed card with it, though.

For general info on real vs fake Sinatra signatures, you can refer to http://www.uacc.org/sinatra.htm . That's a graphological study by professional graphologists.

Bernhard.
    Last edited by bvo35; 03-12-2004 at 05:22 PM.

MMM
    MMM is offline Platinum Member
    I know what Shane's talking about - some copies of the deluxe issue of the A Man and His Music album (MONO 2FD-1016 - STEREO 2FSD-1016) came with a special card that is supposedly signed by Frank.

These deluxe issues are not common to begin with, and the copies with this card are quite rare. I think I read in a record guide I have that only 400 copies were made with this card, so copies of this set with the card were even rare when the album was new. Factor in the passage of time, and these cards are rarer still.

My stereo deluxe edition of A Man and His Music does not have the card.

Shane, does your's have the card?

Yes Lea, Dean Kay is the guy who wrote "That's Life", and he is telling the truth.

You can compare the different arrangements of the song yourself:

The Ernie Freeman arrangement was recorded by Sinatra or Reprise in October 1966 and issued on the album of the same title soon after, as well as on a single. The album entered the Billboard charts in November 1966.

The Nelson Riddle arrangement was recorded by Sinatra for the TV special "A Man And His Music Part II", as issued by Warner on VHS and DVD. The special was first broadcast in December 1966, when the Reprise LP was already on the market; however, the recordings by Sinatra had been made as early as June 5-6, 1966, in Burbank/California, so what you hear (and see) on the TV special is Sinatra's *first* approach on "That's Life".

The attempted recording Kay talks about happened in July 1966 (after the recording for the TV special was in the can). Sinatra was in London for the filming of some parts of his detective film "The Naked Runner". From there, by the way, on July 18 he jetted back to the US to marry Mia Farrow on the next day, and on July 25 the couple returned to London. FS had rented a flat at Grosvenor Square for the occasion.

Bernhard.

Bernhard.

Nancy is offline Administrator
    And your information comes from... ?
    DON'T DESPAIR

****And your information comes from... ?****

Here are the footnotes following the order of info from my original post:

The fact that Dean Kay (full name: Dean Kay Thompson) wrote "That's Life" is confirmed by the ASCAP listings.

Recording date for the Reprise recording of "That's Life":
    Session sheet made for the 10-18-1966 session at Western Recorders in Hollywood/California. The complete listing (including the orchestra personell) has been published by Luiz Carlos do Nascimento Silva "Put Your Dreams Away: A Frank Sinatra Discography" (Westport/London 2000), pp. 408 sq.

Date of Billboard chart entry for the "That's Life" Reprise single (11-19-1965): Billboard Magazine listing, as published.

Date of first broadcast of TV special "A Man and His Music Part 2" (CBS TV, 12-7-1966): Evident as wildely published in numerous official releases' annotations, Sinatra discographies and press articles. Don't think it's necessary to list all of them here, but I could easily do upon request if necessary.

Date of recordings for the TV special "A Man and His Music Part 2" (Burbank/California, June 5-6, 1966): CBS TV recording sheets. Also summarized by various discographical publications on Sinatra.

The July 1966 London overdub session is documented through Dean Kay's statement, as cited earlier in this thread (which he confirms if asked via e-mail), and local press reports. The orchestral track that was sent to Sinatra in London was recorded on July 25, 1966, in Hollywood, as confirmed by the session sheet, which also contains the full orchestra personel listing (as published by Nascimento Silva [see above] p. 408).

The fact that Sinatra was in London in July 1966 for the filming of "The Naked Runner" is verified by numerous press reports and also reliable books on Sinatra's film career, e.g., see Daniel O'Brien "The Frank Sinatra Film Guide" (London 1998) pp. 178 sq. The filming started on July 5, 1966 (see there and extensive London newspaper reports). The fact that Sinatra had rented a flat at Grosvenor Square is also widely covered through the newspaper reports.

Self-evident, because being extensively well-covered by the daily public news, are the facts that
    a) Sinatra flew from London to New York City and from there to Las Vegas on July 18, 1966
    b) Sinatra married Mia Farrow at Jack Entratter's suite at the Sands Hotel in Las Vegas on July 19, 1966,
    c) Sinatra and Mia Farrow together flew back to London on July 25, 1966

I hope these annotations are sufficient to prove that in my original posting I was talking about events and chronology as actually happened. Please also let me know whether such annotations are deemed necessary for every post here, and I will gladly add them in the future, while of course asking that everyone else does the same.

Bernhard.
    Last edited by bvo35; 05-23-2004 at 08:44 PM.

Lea
    Lea is offline Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Bernhard for all the info.

The Nancy Sinatra UK Fan Page
    http://www.movinwithnancy.fsnet.co.uk

Thumbs up Frank's concert A Man & His Music

Can anyone tell me How many Concert Frank did called (A Man & His music?) I need the year of the concert, and also if their was a name (such as FAS, Does His Thing)

Thanks Charlie

FOREVER SINATRA

Barry is offline Awaiting Moderation

Hi Charlie

Hi Charlie
    I have a FANTASTIC double LP called " A Man and his Music" Frank talks between the tracks. I also have a brilliant FS books of facts, so I could look up the info tomorrow 4 u. (It's 2 am here!) That double album is the best Frank ever did in my opinion. 50's I think?
    Cheers,
    Barry

MMM
    MMM is offline Platinum Member

A Man and His Music album

1965, Barry - a look back on Frank's career on the occasion of his then upcoming 50th birthday.

Thumbs up A Man and His Music

Good Morning

Finally got my hands on the cd of "The Man and His Music" I've had the album for years, and have finally found the cd.

What a great recording, I'd forgotten how good it was, I love the dialogue between the songs. Really makes it more intimate, and gives one Franks perspective on his career.

For those who don't have it its a MUST!!!

Charlie

It doesn't get any better than this!!!

George Bellefon is offline George Bellefontaine
    I only have the LP, Charlie, but that's okay 'cause I love the sound of vinyl. I agree with those little snippets of information between songs, they do make it more intimate. It's those little bits of dialogue that make me favor the live concerts so much. I could listen to him talk ( and sing) all day.
    George B.

Nancy is offline Administrator
    Hi Charlie

Please do me a BIG favor and TRY to add posts to existing threads regarding recordings and films. It really isn't difficult to do a quick search.

Thank you.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Barry is offline Awaiting Moderation

Hi Martin
    Thanks.
    Barry.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast