Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Remembering Elvis Presley, His Life and Music

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by mike-proximity View Post
    I was just in Graceland for the first time a couple of weeks ago..........
    Hi Mike! Did you find the house much smaller than you had expected? I know that I did. From pictures that I saw before I got there, Graceland looked very stately from the outside. The pictures that I saw of it through the years, when I was much younger, had me picturing an estate almost similar in size to The White House. When I got out of the cab in Memphis the first time, I was kind of shocked by how small it really was. Subsequent trips to Graceland's backyard burial plot leave me feeling very low! As the song says, "E" was gone much too soon!

Once a soldier, who literally walked in Elvis' footsteps, I am forever indebted to the man, not only for his music, but for the man's generosity to trainees and soldiers who followed him into Fort Hood, TX. "The Day Rooms" with the color T.V.'s that he bought while he was there, the pool tables, the general improvements to recreation areas for G.I.'s, tell much more about the man than his career does. "Donated by Elvis Presley" plaques could be found almost everywhere.

Elvis was there in 1958. I didn't arrive there until 1966. The man who cut his hair off in "Reception" (at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas), was the same barber who later sheared off my "locks" (at Ft. Jackson, S.C.)! The barber had transferred over from Chaffee. He had a picture of himself cutting Elvis' hair taped to the mirror at his barber station. Later, upon arrival at Ft. Hood, I encountered World War II and Korean veterans, career "lifers," who told us that they had never seen anyone as courteous, generous, and a more perfect soldier that Elvis was. Presley was always ready to "lead" when work detail had to be done. He gave support and confidence to the troopers around him. At one point, after Basic Training and AIT, Elvis was told that he could bring his Cadillac to the post and park outside the barracks, if he wanted to. He chose not to, because "It wouldn't be fair to the other guys, who couldn't bring their cars to Fort Hood."

Most folks forget that Presley was drafted at a time when there was no need to draft anyone. It makes you wonder if possibly someone who was anti - "The Boy Who Dared To Rock," had him "conscripted" on purpose. Whatever the reason, despite the circumstances, the man continued to shine like the star that he was. Just a "Good Ole Boy" at heart. The stories of those who had first hand contact, or conversation with him, are consistent with never a bad word about him.

Late in 1958, Elvis shipped out to The Third Armored Division - Spearhead, in (then) West Germany. How we all wished for that duty, too! During the period of the Vietnam War, Spearhead looked like a great assignment to us!

One of the most brilliant PR ploys, came at the direction of (ex-carnival barker) Col. Tom Parker. Parker had Elvis record for days on end, prior to his induction date. Then (periodically), during Elvis' two years of military service, new releases came to market while Presley was in uniform, or even out of the country. Great, great marketing idea! It kept Elvis in the hearts & minds of his fans, while they were being "courted" by the likes of Ricky Nelson, Paul Anka, Fabian, Frankie Avalon, Bobby Rydell, etc.

Wouldn't we all have loved to be in those Memphis area Cadillac dealerships when, usually on Saturday mornings, Elvis went in to buy his latest Caddy (a car make and style that he loved)! Reportedly, the doors to the car dealer showroom were locked, while Elvis shopped. Any customers who happened to be locked in the showroom while Elvis was there, got a free Cadillac automobile courtesy of "The King of Rock & Roll!" What a guy, huh?

Somewhere, I have pictures of the exterior and interior of Elvis' private plane, The Lisa Marie. The photos show pictures of the master bedroom inside the plane, complete with the round bed. I'll try to locate them, and post pictures in this thread.

I saw him perform twice in Philly. The first time, in the Arena, he was definitely the "rock star" to which all others would be compared. The second time that I saw him was at the Spectrum, when he was almost a caricature of what he once was. To be honest, I regretted that we went. I feel remorse at the fact that the people around him, that should have been "looking out" for him, did not. Of course, Elvis himself, is responsible for his later behavior, but we should all have remorse at the fact that this highly talented individual left so early. We can only imagine how productive he would have been in later years, had he lived. He lost his life, and we lost years of potentially great music. I never met him, but I miss him, too!
    Last edited by NickfromPhilly; 08-21-2014 at 07:14 PM.
    Sicilia forever
    "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"

2. Thank You to NickfromPhilly for this post:

Most illuminating to me, a fact which I would only come to realize in time - is namely - how musically accomplished he actually was. While he was somewhat true to a Dixie agenda, he spanned genres within it; rockabilly, black R & B, gospel, reverent country, and rabble rousing music.

At my open mike next week I'm going to do "One Night of Sin is What I'm Now Paying For". Of course, accomodating the marketplace airwaves of the day, he changed both the title and the lyrics. It's hard for me to get the "clean" lyrics out of my head and remember the original ones that I never knew as a child.
    Last edited by johnofphilly; 08-21-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by johnofphilly View Post
    Most illuminating to me, a fact which I would only come to realize in time - is namely - how musically accomplished he actually was. While he was somewhat true to a Dixie agenda, he spanned genres within it; rockabilly, black R & B, gospel, reverent country, and rabble rousing music..........
    Absolutely true, John! And, particularly on the song, "Surrender," his voice is almost operatic!
    Sicilia forever

Just found my pictures of "The Lisa Marie" from when it had landed at Northeast Philadelphia Airport early in 1977. I was wrong about the plane's master bedroom. The bed's not round, it's just "King" sized. I must have confused that bed with Hef's bed at the Playboy Mansion.

Anyway, I'm trying to scan pictures and post them. I've just been told by a Dell Rep that my brand new Dell Inspiron computer, and my Dell All in One, printer, scanner, copier, fax, is not compatible with their new computer! Wonderful, one Dell product does not work with another!! I have a old Visioneer scanner around here somewhere. I'll try to use that. Hang in there folks! These are great photos that all Elvis fans should see!
    Sicilia forever

The man who cut his hair off in "Reception" (at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas), was the same barber who later sheared off my "locks" (at Ft. Jackson, S.C.)! The barber had transferred over from Chaffee. He had a picture of himself cutting Elvis' hair taped to the mirror at his barber station.
    Chaffee was badly damaged several years ago when we had a really dry summer and several wildfires engulfed a large portion of the base. I believe the building that housed the barber shop is still standing - small area commemorating this event as well.
    "Don't Lose Your Dinosaur."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Chaffee was badly damaged several years ago when we had a really dry summer and several wildfires engulfed a large portion of the base. I believe the building that housed the barber shop is still standing - small area commemorating this event as well.
    Thanks for the info, Taylor! I didn't know that there had been a fire at Fort Chaffee! I do know that many U.S. Army records were destroyed in the late 1960's, at a Federal storage facility in either St. Louis, or Chicago (I'm not sure which location).

With regard to the pictures of Elvis' airplane, The Lisa Marie, I shared them over lunch with John of Philly on Friday, but I'm still trying to get an older model scanner to communicate with my new Dell Inspiron. I want to post those photos in this thread. They're really worth sharing!
    Sicilia forever

8. Thank You to NickfromPhilly for this post:

Beautiful photos they were, Nick. I did his "Kentucky Rain" at an open mike a few weeks back, and it resonated well with everyone.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

10. Thank You to johnofphilly for this post:

I can't find the usual Elvis thread, so....

Remembering Elvis Presley today, I think of him often, and the wonderful songs he gave us.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

12. Thank You to Tina... for this post:

Nice bump though, Tina. As I do with Frank, I have too many favorite Elvis songs to list but I do enjoy reading everyone's favorites.
    It takes a great deal of courage to see the world in all its tainted glory and still to love it. ~ Oscar Wilde

Happy birthday in heaven, dear old friend. You are missed more than you know.

15. Thank You to Nancy for this post:

Happy Birthday, Elvis. Say hi to Frank.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Happy birthday to The King and sorry, Nancy.
    let the music play as long as there's a song to sing

Happy Birthday Elvis, legend to this day.
    Laura

'This is a lovely way to spend an evening...'

Happy Birthday, L.

Jayeff

Elvis would have been 80 years old today. Happy birthday to the King of Rock and Roll.
    It takes a great deal of courage to see the world in all its tainted glory and still to love it. ~ Oscar Wilde

When we read about Elvis, JFK, James Dean, Marilyn, Dr. King, and the other legendary icons who would be celebrating their 80+ birthdays, if they were still with us, it's remarkable, -- and oh so terribly sad!
    Stanley

22. Thank You to sschweiger for this post:

He's been gone so long when one thinks of the age he passed away. He had so much more to give.

I've Elvis on vinyl which because my player isn't set up I haven't heard for a while, so with an Apple iTunes voucher gift card from Christmas I've purchased "The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs Deluxe Version"

I think I need to go through my albums and get the downloads also.

There are so many favourites.
    Last edited by Tina...; 01-09-2015 at 07:46 AM.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".