Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Elvis Presley, His Life and Music

8th January 1935 Elvis was born...

Remembering Elvis today- One of the best.

Seems like he was 70 just three years ago....Happy Birthday, "E"!
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons

Rest In Peace, El

There will never be another one like you.

Jayeff

hy adam, i am new to this site,and have just read through the posts in this very interesting thread.

as i said in my profile i am a massive elvis fan,but frank is my second favourite singer,that said, elvis could have sung every single sinatra song,some better some not, but he could of sang them very well without any trouble whatsoever.the reason why elvis is called the king and loved by millions( 1,000000 people in memphis for the 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH ) is because he could actually sing any kind of music, any vairity
    my question to you is this.
    could frank have sung every presley song, such as hound dog,ect and american triogy, how great thou art.( different musical styles ) am not attacking frank in any way here, because he is marvelous. in fact its the best autobiography i have ever read. WHAT A MAN WHAT A LIFE

Elvis is a great singer, but I have to disagree with you. I don't believe Elvis could have topped Sinatra on a lot of things, particularly the upbeat swing and piercing ballad recordings. Frank owned those. I honestly can't imagine anyone doing them better. (For example, I'm not too keen on his treatment of Withcraft on that special). I think Sinatra possessed a sense of swing and style that Elvis never could have grasped. The King had his own great style, of course, but I don't believe it extended to big band music. Can you really imagine Elvis doing Fly Me To The Moon? :P

< frank is my second favourite singer >

Well, we'll have to do something about that. Seems like you need a bit of a musical education, especially regarding composing. You will learn about Porter, Rodgers and Hart and Hammerstein, Cahn and Van Heusen, Arlen, Mercer etc... and then you will say, "Why on earth would Frank want to sing Hound Dog.!"

And by the way, I love Elvis.
    DON'T DESPAIR

While we're on the topic of Elvis and Frank..Is there a certain amount of time after someone passes away that they are honored with a USPS Stamp?

Just curious becasue Frank got his a lot quicker than Elvis.

I too love them both.

Oren: This is hearsay, but it's been claimed in the Frank stamp thread that the minimum wait is 9 or 10 years, except for ex-presidents.

Ten years.
    DON'T DESPAIR

I love Elvis' record of "Birding Love".

VERY....Good!

Quote Originally Posted by callingelvis View Post
    elvis could have sung every single sinatra song,some better some not, but he could of sang them very well without any trouble whatsoever.the reason why elvis is called the king and loved by millions( 1,000000 people in memphis for the 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH ) is because he could actually sing any kind of music, any vairity
    could frank have sung every presley song, such as hound dog,ect and american triogy, how great thou art.( different musical styles )
    You can't even go there... Each man had a phenomenal voice, and each represented a specific type of music... There is NO DOUBT that they could have sang each other's music without a problem... But each man was HUGE, and there is absolutely NO WAY you can fairly compare one to the other when doing each other's songs.

I'm a big fan of both, and respect the voices and the work of each... And would never even think of comparing one's voice to the other's songs, and it's ludicrous to think a comparison could EVER be done.

Look at 'My Way'... We know who owns that song... Elvis covered it in 73 on 'Aloha From Hawaii,' and while Elvis' is stellar, it's completely different from Frank's... The orchestrations are different in each version, as well as the feel of the song, and each man did the song THEIR way... and never once was there a comparison. To do so, again, would be ludicrous.
    Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

I think it's crazy comparing Elvis and Frank

Two entirely different talents. I love them both.
    I was listening to Elvis tonight in my car again, because the CD has been in the player for so long, and he is so good. His music totally energizes me. And I came to him late.

I actually liked Frank long before I liked Elvis. I listened to Frank in college. Later when I was a young mother I finally got Elvis and I got him big time.

I'll be loving both of their music always in very different ways.
    Melanie
    She loves the theatre but never comes late That's why the Lady is a Tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by callingelvis View Post
    as i said in my profile i am a massive elvis fan,but frank is my second favourite singer,that said, elvis could have sung every single sinatra song,some better some not, but he could of sang them very well without any trouble whatsoever.the reason why elvis is called the king and loved by millions( 1,000000 people in memphis for the 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH ) is because he could actually sing any kind of music, any vairity
    could frank have sung every presley song, such as hound dog,ect and american triogy, how great thou art.( different musical styles ) am not attacking frank in any way here, because he is marvelous. in fact its the best autobiography i have ever read. WHAT A MAN WHAT A LIFE
    I disagree! I don't think Elvis or anyone could sing them any better, whether it's the saloon or swing songs but especially the ballads... Frank could interpret a song like no other singer. He always had the best arrangers, which only made the recordings that much better. And like Nancy said, Frank knew good songs and he wouldn't sing material like Hound Dog... he was at Capitol recording the greatest songs ever with Riddle, May and Jenkins.

Also they come from two different eras in music, so it's impossible to compare them. Frank was influenced by the big band era, that's where his career started and was around great songs. Elvis was part of the Rock 'N' Roll era.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

The music that influenced Elvis most was gospel.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Thumbs up Elvis is the Gospel Truth

This vid testifies to that fact!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9kwCPQcmZw
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons

With all due respect to Elvis, Mark had a perfect example with MY WAY.

Elvis just sang it.. I just finished watching it on Youtube.

When Frank sang it.. It commanded attention. The power in the voice, THIS IS MY LIFE, THIS IS HOW I DID IT AND I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK... I DID IT MY WAY AND THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GOING TO BE...
    and you think YES SIR!!!!!!!!

I love Elvis but also don't see Frank lowering his standards to record some of the songs Elvis did..
    With all due respect to Elvis he had some duds.

Smile

Hi All, Not many people ever remember Elvis singing to Our Blessed Mother Mary! Look it up,you will love it.The Name of the song is "The Miracle of the Rosary" Listen to the love in his heart for this song. When Elvis first heard it in 1972,he said he had to sing it on his next album,and he did.The message is profound,even though as Catholics we've heard this all our lives. But when Elvis puts his voice and heart into it ,it gets your attention............. I found it at a garage sale six years ago, and am trying to get it re-released through Mother Angelica on EWTN-TV in Alabama,to honor Mother Theresa's tenth year in Heaven. .....Many Blessings to All,Bob

Bob,

Was that a single or part of a gospel compilation of Elvis'?

Smile

Hi Greg, That was part of an album.I believe you can bring it up on I -tunes,and hear it! Listen to the third and fourth lines,that sum it all up. Blessings,Bob