Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering Elvis Presley, His Life and Music

Hi Adam,

I don't think you made a mistake

I think that people feel passionately about various artists and it's natural for a conversation to take some twists and turns!

It's been an eventful thread for sure, and a little tense at times, but it's ok...I think everyone is still 'friends'.

Take care!

Selena

Peggy's Abner Yokum reference

It just occurred to me that young folks might not know who li'l Abner was. This long-running comic strip, from the 1930s to the 1970s was about the Yokums (not to be confused with Dwight Yoakum) in a fictional town in Appalachia called "Dogpatch". Li'l Abner eventually married Daisy Mae in 1952. They never aged while the comic was in print.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

cute shot

I love those old comic strips, like Brenda Starr and Terry & the Pirates and Dick Tracy. They already did a movie about the Yokums, Tracy, and even Brenda Starr - starring Brooke Shields.

I just noticed a parallel between this shot and the Speedway shot - this shot has a girl named Daisy, and in Nancy's shot she is wearing daisy earrings.

Yes

Hi Selena!

This has been an interesting debate, and i have had good time thinking of what to write in responses! A bit of healthy disagreement does everyone the power of good!!!

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Hi Adam,

How are you?

Just a little funny for you..

The same day I did my last post on this thread, I was listening to my Elvis CD, then I went into the living room to go thru a Fred Astaire CD looking for songs for a friend for her clogging contest..I left the Elvis CD on the sofa..and within moments my puppy had it in her mouth and now it is destroyed!

Oh well...thought that was kind of funny...maybe my puppy agrees with your opinion!!

Take care!

Selena

That was clearly a case....

of your puppy being insulted by "You Ain't Nuthin' But a Hounddog"....very politically incorrect in the canine world.
    My heart.

Selena

Hi Selena

Sounds like you trained your puppy well then

But then again, if i play 'The Tender Trap' at my grandparents house, their dog sits under ths speakers and howls!!

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Dog Critics and Crooners

Hi Fred...you may be right!

Adam...maybe their dog is howling with the music...did you see the Canine Crooner article by Nancy...maybe this dog has some unrealized talent!!

Take care,

Selena

Question Elvis welcome home?

Just a point, if anyone knows or has read anything, was Frank happy about the idea of doing that T.V. show with Elvis?

Everything i have read (quotes,books e.t.c.), says that FS didnt like Elvis's kind of music.

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Could Elvis sing?

Adam,

I have the tape of that show. All I know is that was Frank's idea to make a TV show about the return of Elvis from the Army. The show was all about the return of Elvis and it shows us Frank very happy to be there. If he doesn't like Elvis's
    music I don't know. Maybe Nancy knows... But I like...

Regards,

Lourdes
    LOURDIE
    Member since 1997
    - Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

The Duet

The duet was interesting on this program, Frank doing 'Love Me Tender' and even though this was very much EP's song, Frank put his take on it as he has done on every song he ever sang, but somehow it seems to me, EP couldnt get a handle on 'Witchcraft', it just seems he didnt have the natural talent to take a song as Frank had, again, im comparing the two, but FS is the benchmark against which all the so called 'legends' must be judged.

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Just a question

I have heard mention that Frank sang 'Love Me Tender' on one of his later albums, does anyone know anything about this and what album it was on?

If you have heard it, what is it like?

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Love Me Tender

The version that I have is contained in the 20 disc "Complete Reprise Collection" According to the bio on the song, it was recorded in 1979. It doesn't say that it was previously unreleased. His voice was a little raspy, but his phrasing was perfect. I personally like the version. I could be wrong, but since it was recorded in 1979, it may be on his Trilogy album.

Hi Guys,

Yes, "Love Me Tender" is on "Trilogy."

Eugene

Thanks

Thanks Eugene, i'll have to look out for it.

Are there any other crossover songs from the big two?

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

"My Way" is one that comes to mind.

I've heard Elvis Presley's version of "My Way"many times. A local radio station in my town played it often.

Speaking of crossovers, there's a musical group
    named Elvis Sinatra.

Elvis Sinatra?

There was this mannish woman who had an act calling herself "Elvis Herselvis". She definitely had the look down, but nothing else.

"Elvis Sinatra", that's cute and funny. I've always laughed at the name of Elvis Costello, as I see neither Pres. or Lou in him. Nomenclature is such a funny thing.

My Way

'My'Way' being the obvious cross-over song, i wonder are there any more songs recorded by both artists?

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Hi Adam,

"Are You Lonesome Tonight" is another one. It's available on "All Alone." There are probably others too. I'll have to look.

Eugene