Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra's Autograph

I'm curious as to the source of the signature which is featured in the Frank Sinatra Enterprises logo and which appears so prominently on all the new FS CDs:

I think the hat came from Ron Sarbo`s collection!
    WNEW..Where The Melody Lingers On..

Some more ...

It's very interesting to read all the above posts. I also have a couple of signed Sinatra photographs and purchased them knowing there was a chance they were not the real deal. I, like others, bought them on ebay - from a Canadian memorabilia dealer who said he had purchased them from Moodys book store. I didn't pay a King's ransom for them so I'm not going to lose out too much if they are fake. Anyway...here they are. I welcome any comments.

Those are cool photos. I've seen the one on the right before. The same two photos are on Ebay now, which makes me skeptical of their authenticity.

In general, it's upsetting to know some people make money by using clever and misleading wording to sell fake signatures. Like "hand signed". Yeah, hand signed by the person faking the signature!

From the Frank Sinatra Autograph Study:

"During the month of July 2006, a study was performed regarding Sinatra autographs offered on the internet auction site ebay. Most of what was posted were almost exclusively forgeries or examples of secretarial signatures."

Buyer beware!

It's the same when I received an autograph from Bruce Willis, I wasn't sure if it was really from him, and then I saw an article in a newspaper almost a year later, stating that Bruce only signs in silver marker pen, which mine is....and showed a copy of one he'd left for his old school in New Jersey after he'd paid them a visit SOOO if anyone's passing PLEASE can you confirm..LOL!

Off topic I know....soz.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Those are cool photos. I've seen the one on the right before. The same two photos are on Ebay now, which makes me skeptical of their authenticity.

In general, it's upsetting to know some people make money by using clever and misleading wording to sell fake signatures. Like "hand signed". Yeah, hand signed by the person faking the signature!
    Hi Johnny,

The one on the left is actually a post card, in German, for the movie 'Pal Joey'. Based on what's printed on the rear it looks like an original post card. The one on ebay at the moment is stated as being a reprint photo so its not the original post card nor do they claim it is hand signed - it's a reproduction. The one on the right is also German - a photo print processed on German Agfa stock. Interestingly the 2 signed photos on ebay that are the same as the one on the right are from a German dealer. It's not a common photo and the 2 currently on ebay are the only other ones I have ever seen. I understand he performed in Gemany in his latter years so there is a chance the photo was taken in Germany and a few hand signed copies exist. In any case, even if they are not hand signed by the great man himself, they are still interesting. I like to think (or hope) at least one of them is genuine!

Question

Greetings, and thanks-in-advance...

So anyways, I acquired this autograph... it's on a promotional 8x11 (approx) notepad with Frank at a piano with a red background for MGM. I assume the pad is from the 1940s since his contract was up in 1950. I would suspect that the autograph was most likely from the 40s or the very early 50s. If anybody can/wants to help me determine the origin of the pad (when it was made and distributed) I would appreciate it and can give more details -- however, I didn't want to flood this place with a huge image.

The provenance was excellent. It belonged to a Big Band singer/composer/arranger, (most active as far as I know in the very early 50s), or her family who was also in the business, from the NY & Philadelphia region, so I suspect that the autograph is authentic and most likely given in person.

The autograph itself is not terribly flamboyant, for lack of a better term, and it's actually rather small compared to the size of the pad (maybe about 1"x 1" -- although I haven't measured it..) I've done a bit of comparison and research and it seems to me that... I've seen an F like this before... but VERY VERY rarely (I've only seen it once or twice) the "Sin" looks rather correct in comparison to a number of examples. What really threw me was what I would call "open a's" -- they really bothered me until I found examples of open a's on contracts.

So what do y'all think?

While reading some older threads, which reference an external link to the UACC Frank Sinatra Autograph Study mentioned earlier in this thread, I notice that the website is no longer functional (again).

Here is a corrected link:

Bob in Boston
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 08-06-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Corrected link (again).

Watertown, autographed by Frank..

If I was lucky enough to have an autographed album, Watertown would be my first and only choice...Great Bob..enjoy it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert crawford View Post
    I feel very fortunate that I was able to get Frank's aitograph on
    my Watertown album. It says "To Bob all the best Frank Sinatra.
    I have it beautifully framed. It's right above my Bogart picture.

Sinatra Autograph advice?

Another question if I may

I have for years dreamed of having a piece of Franks handwriting in a frame on my lounge wall, and considered buying off of the Auction site!!, any pointers as to whether there are genuine people selling franks Autograph out there?, I know you can't be 100% certain that you are buying the real thing but a few pointers would be nice

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne C View Post
    Another question if I may

I have for years dreamed of having a piece of Franks handwriting in a frame on my lounge wall, and considered buying off of the Auction site!!, any pointers as to whether there are genuine people selling franks Autograph out there?, I know you can't be 100% certain that you are buying the real thing but a few pointers would be nice

Wayne
    Hi Wayne: Please use our search engine (here on the site), and search the thread entitled Sinatra's Autograph(s).
    Last edited by NickfromPhilly; 03-23-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Sicilia forever
    "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"

I have read a few of the posts on those pages and I guess I havent a hope of finding a real signed piece, I looked on ebay here in the UK and someone was selling an album they had signed for less than $100 of your dollars, I guess that in itself is a give away , but then again it may have been real!!

thanks Wayne

From the thread: Frank Sinatra's Autograph
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    From the Frank Sinatra Autograph Study:

"During the month of July 2001, a study was performed regarding Sinatra autographs offered on the internet auction site eBay. Most of what was posted were almost exclusively forgeries or examples of secretarial signatures."

Buyer beware!
    Bob in Boston
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 08-06-2011 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Corrected link in quote.

Bumped to link to a question, personally speaking I wouldn't take a Sinatra autograph unless it was from someone I trusted who said they were there when it was signed, or from one of the family. Aside from that you're spending a lot of money for a piece of paper with a random signature on it. Im happy to sell mine at 100 a piece and it still won't be worth it.

Hi All,

I am the proud owner of these two pics, however, I am not sure of what to think of them. The person I bought them from got them from an estate, and the picture of the man on the motorcycle was saved safely with the autographed picture (in a very musty smelling old fashioned frame) and is supposed to be of Frank. On the signature, the "F" and especially the "S" look like his from some signatures I've seen from early in his career, and even looks a little like yours, IntrstingStuff. Both pics are in amazing condition so somebody really cared for them!

Nancy??

I have seen pictures like this promo, but not of this exact one. Do you recognize either pics and could you tell me what you think of the signature?

Many thanks and a happy Friday to you all!

Josh

001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    005 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    003 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Josh
    "The quieter you are, the more that you can hear."

The only autographs I trust are the ones collected by me or my daughter. We have Tony Bennett's autograph and a nice memory to go with it. My daughter had a little autograph book in NYC and we have autographed playbills. I wouldn't buy or sell an autograph, not that there is anything wrong with that! It just wouldn't mean anything to me. But I understand how it could to someone else. Joan's autograph from Frank is the coolest, because it was personal. And Rick has a cool story, too.

I have a couple of Sinatra autographs in my home that are very special to me, from a woman we all love.
    Last edited by Carolinagirl; 08-06-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Melanie
    She loves the theatre but never comes late That's why the Lady is a Tramp.

Hi,

A friend of mine has a print of a painting by an artist named Angelo Marino titled Francis Albert Sinatra "Like Wine" and it is signed by the artist and also by Frank Sinatra.
    I've attached photos of the print, the signatures and also the Certificate of Authenticity.

I've searched online for other copies of this print and can't find any info at all.

What are your opinions on the authenticity of this Frank Sinatra autograph and would it be ok for me to sell this item to someone with only having the COA from the Classic Cards & Collectibles company?

Thanks for your help!
    Jason

Most of those certificates are meaningless and that surely doesn't look like my dad's signature.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Most of those certificates are meaningless and that surely doesn't look like my dad's signature.
    Hi Nancy,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I don't look forward to giving my friend the bad news, but I figure you'd be the best source to go to for any type of verification. =)

Thanks again for your help.
    Jason