Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Promotional Issues and Samplers

<< The Japanese CD was not a promo CD. It was sold to the public. >>

Wasn't it produced in conjunction with Sinatra's commercials for All Nippon Airways (ANA) circa 1991? I've seen mention of a bilingual Japanese commercial which has FS saying, "ANA does things 'My Way'."

Yes. The airline was "promoted" by the CD. But it was a Toshiba EMI release that was available to the public in Japan.

Bob: In this thread there are some CDs that are sold to the public in specific stores or venues. That's fine but to me they are not "Promo" CDs in the strictest sense because they can be purchased by the public.

A TRUE Promo CD in my opinion is one that is "not for sale" to the public.

Capitol Radio Station LP's

For years, Capitol issued their monthly "Silver Platter" LP's. These LP's were sent to hundreds of radio stations in advance of the release of new Capitol product. Whenever a new Sinatra album was due, the "Silver Platter" for that month would include one or two tracks from the forthcoming LP for DJ's to play. The album cover also included information about the new LP's.

Capitol also sent radio stations many "Minute Master" LP's. These were edited versions of recordings, usually about 1 minute in length, sometimes longer, maybe 90 seconds. Disc jockeys often used them if they had time to fill at the end of an hour or the end of a program, but not enough time to play an entire record. They were usually very skillfuly edited. There were many Sinatra tracks including at least one full LP of all "Sinatra Minute Masters."

Ed Spiegel

Originally posted by Ronald Sarbo

Bob: In this thread there are some CDs that are sold to the public in specific stores or venues. That's fine but to me they are not "Promo" CDs in the strictest sense because they can be purchased by the public.

A TRUE Promo CD in my opinion is one that is "not for sale" to the public.
    I agree Ron, but this thread was not intended stricty for promo CDs, but for any releases which were of limited issue or availability. (The thread title may be misleading, but my intent was to include miscellaneous items which do not deserve separate threads.)

In the thread opener, I mentioned "special-market" as well as "non-commercial." This was meant to allow inclusion of things like the Starbucks and Hallmark CDs.

I can't speak authoritatively about the Japanase CD for ANA Airlines, but I understood it to be a numbered limited edition. (Perhaps you could confirm that; I don't own the CD.) Even if it was sold rather than given away, it is sufficiently rare that I think including it here is appropriate.

Re: Promos on 45,45 ep &331/3 7 inch

Originally posted by Nick in Toronto I just dug out a few 7 inch promos from the days when I entertained the notion of an all FS jukebox.

There are also 7" Samplers In 331/3 Duophonic Stereo for The Great Years( 5 songs only One for my baby in true Stereo) and another 7" sampler in true stereo containing only When You're Smiling and It all depends on you from Swingin' Session.
    I've understood those were for some stereo jukebox that took 7" 33 1/3 records, with a small LP size hole. AFAIK, there were 5 of those records drawn from Swingin' Session!!! - I have the 5, I don't think there was a 6th to complete the album, but I wouldn't swear to it. These were all with 1 song on each side, in stereo. They had these releases for a few of the albums.

There were also those where they crammed upwards of 6 songs on 1 7" 33 1/3 record. You can imagine what that did to the sound, even without the Duophonic processing. I have a This Is Sinatra in this format, with 6 songs, even with the title strips for the jukebox. I think I only listened to about 30 seconds of it, due to the wonky sound...

Re: Re: Promos on 45,45 ep &331/3 7 inch

<< I don't think there was a 6th to complete the album, but I wouldn't swear to it. >>

Martin, Those two-song stereo jukebox records did come in sets of five (ten songs per set). Here are some other Capitol albums which were issued in this format:

XE 1069 Come Dance With Me
    XE 1417 Nice 'N' Easy
    XE 1491 Sinatra's Swingin' Session
    XE 1594 Come Swing With Me
    XE 1676 Point Of No Return
    XE 1729 Sinatra Sings Of Love And Things

There were also at least a half-dozen Reprise albums in this jukebox format.

another oddball

I just located a 2 disc (5&6) collection of Sinatra in Hollywood 1940 - 1964. Issued by Warner Strategic Marketing, it has no liner notes, a list of titles for each cd, and below the list the caveat:
    Note: This is a work CD-R. Master tapes were not available at the time this CD-R was made. It was recorded from available disc sources and may not include all the material; the quality does not in any way reflect that of the final released product.

This came from England although just where it was made is also not listed. I saw this for sale on EBAY and queried the maker's name to be sure it wasn't a pirate. And yes, there are some differences between it and the Boxed set. A $7 bargain!

Curious in Canada
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

Re: Re: Re: Promos on 45,45 ep &331/3 7 inch

Martin, Those two-song stereo jukebox records did come in sets of five (ten songs per set). Here are some other Capitol albums which were issued in this format: ...

There were also at least a half-dozen Reprise albums in this jukebox format.
    Thanks Bob. I have a few more, besides the set from Swingin' Session!!! - 2 or 3 from Come Swing With Me!, at least 1 from Point of No Return, and a couple of Reprise ones. They all came from the same record dealer in Texas years ago. I guess he bought them from the same collection...

The CDs that Nick described are advance copies of the box set provided to radio & press by Warner Bros. prior to the final sequencing and mastering of the issued package.
    BONX!

Chuckster - I don't know what we'd do around here without you. Thank you for your input - and insight.

[We need your face! ]
    DON'T DESPAIR

Chuckster's Photo

In spite of the fact that Mr. Granata is responsible for in excess of 27 cds lovingly restored with Sonic Solutions and has written liner notes to accompany some of them, nowhere is there to be found a picture of this great contributor.

Perhaps the release of a photo would provide bona fide evidence that Elvis is alive and well!

Nevertheless, many prominent people guard their privacy and if it is Mr. Granata's wish to come and go unrecognized, I'm certain the shere magnitude of his other contributions to the Sinatra Legacy, and the SFF, should encourage us all to ascede to his preferences.

Wait 'till You See Her (him) I suspect he looks a great deal like Jack Lord - the 1st Felix Leiter cast in Dr. No.
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

Chuck's avatar was here before the site went down. I'm sure he'll put it back when he can.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Chuck's photo is on the dust jacket of his book. I've already reposted it twice, since the earlier avatar was lost, but no one seems to have noticed. Once more:

I noticed but I can't post it. My admin powers are diminishing. I'm melllltinggg.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Who gets the ruby boots?

Ruby slippers

Actually, they never were in the possession of WW of the W. They belonged to her sister; the WW of the EAST until her untimely death when Dorothy's house fell on her. They then were given to D by Glinda the Good and subsequently lost during her return to Kansas across the fobidden dessert.

On a more positive note the melted WW of W was reincarnated the next winter when her melted body froze and reintegrated.

Nancy, shame on you for assuming this character. Surely you are our Ozma, the lost princess of OZ perhaps, for awhile, but its rightful ruler first, last, and ALWAYS!

Listen to the Columbia Over he Rainbow again - "When all the world is a hopeless jumble, there's a ....

Magnificent!
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

Another Collectors item

I just dug out another real oddball from the Reprise vinyl.

The cover (B&W) shows FS as a talkinghead on an old Magnavox Television set. The title is: MAGNAVOX presents....
    a reprise of great hits starring The Association . Count Basie . Harpers Bizzarre . Don Ho . Barbara McNair . Nelson Riddle . Frank Sinatra LIMITED EDITION - COLLECTOR'S ITEM
    The liner notes claim that "On Sunday Evening, November 18th,1973, on the NBC Network, Ol' Blue Eyes Came Back to Television. A special television special(yes really) presented by The Magnavox Company. FS is listed as doing 4 songs:Come Fly WithMe I Get a Kick out or You Street of Dreams And Put Your Dreams Away. Don Ho sings Tiny Bubbles and, well I think you get the idea. But Feelin Groovy and Tiny Bubbles and windy on an FS Reprise Album? What a mix! Like Beef Stroganoff with sardines.
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

I never understood what they were trying to do with that Magnavox album...

Another Capitol oddball

GREAT NEW RELEASES FROM SOUND CAPITOL OF THE WORLD

This strange promo popped up today from deep in the stacks. 2 FS tunes: Tell her You Love Her, and Can't We be Friends, both culled from the Tell Her you Love Her Compilation album (pictured) acccompany Tennessee Ernie Ford, the Kingston Trio, Nancy Wilson, Vic Damone, Bobby Darin , the Lettermen and Glen Gray and the Casa Loma Orch.

Professionally programed the selections (16) in this specially prepared LP have been arranged in a sequence which will enable you to present an entire side at a time,,, August 1963

The cover art is a drawing of a man holding an album up to a fireing squad! MORE SURE FIRE HITS FROM CAPITOL
    SIDE ONE PRO2414 Side 2 PRO 2415

This is a professionally programmed album designed for programming, It is not for sale.
    NICK
    Old School Teacher