Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CAPITOL RECORDS CONCEPT ALBUMS 2004 

CAPITOL RECORDS CONCEPT ALBUMS 2004

CAPITOL RECORDS CONCEPT ALBUMS 2004

Last edited by Robert; 04-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.

For an earlier discussion of this 14-CD box set, see this thread in the main Frank Sinatra room (from where this post was copied):

"Frank Sinatra: The Concept Albums" U.S. TV Offer

<< is this set a necessary purchase? Has the sound been improved [...]? >>

There is nothing new here in the way of recorded material or improved sound. If you already own the Capitol concept albums on Compact Disc--either individually, from the 1987-1991 issues or the 1998-2002 Entertainer of the Century reissues, or combined, in the US Concepts or the UK The Capitol Years box sets--then this set is redundant. Otherwise, it's a great collection at a bargain price of less than half that of the other packages.

Note that, unlike its earlier US big brother, it comes without a substantial book. Also, like the British box, this one does not include A Jolly Christmas or Tone Poems Of Color. The British set is still preferred for (most say) better mastering and the inclusion of more music (the singles compilations such as This Is Sinatra and the extras in The Rare Sinatra).

In short, this is a fine collection at a budget price. Unnecessary for some, but a good buy for many.

Included Albums

These are the titles included in this box set, with links to the album threads elsewhere in the Forum. Track contents are identical to the original albums without bonus tracks (except as noted):

Swing Easy / Songs For Young Lovers*
    In The Wee Small Hours
    Songs For Swingin' Lovers
    Close To You
    A Swingin' Affair
    Where Are You?
    Come Fly With Me
    Sings For Only The Lonely
    Come Dance With Me
    No One Cares
    Nice 'N' Easy
    Sinatra's Swingin' Session**
    Come Swing With Me
    Point Of No Return

*Tracks 1-8: Swing Easy; Tracks 9-16: Songs For Young Lovers

**Bonus Tracks:
    I've Got The World On A String
    Learnin' The Blues
    Young At Heart
    Love And Marriage
    Witchcraft
    All The Way
    (Love Is) The Tender Trap
    Put Your Dreams Away (For Another Day)

My Review

Actually, I like this box set a lot. I think it's gotten a bum rap from some of the previous posters. Let me dispel a few of the unfounded conjectures stated earlier:

Songs For Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair are not abridged. That was an error on the website (since corrected).

Songs For Swingin' Lovers does indeed come with the original LP album art, with Frank looking away from the couple. The website shows the wrong cover version.

This set does have family approval. (Obviously, since it's advertised on the Sinatra Family News page, but also since quotes by Nancy, Frankie, and Tina appear in the small photo booklet.)

All 14 albums are programmed exactly like the original LPs, with one exception: Sinatra's Swingin' Session contains 8 bonus tracks. (An obvious attempt to include at least the most popular Capitol-era singles, which did not appear in concept albums.) Swing Easy and Songs For Young Lovers are combined in that order, as they were in the original 1955 12" LP reissue.

The packaging puts emphasis on the "compact" in Compact Disc: 14 CDs in the space of four standard jewel cases. As someone whose CD racks and shelves are overflowing, I appreciate the space savings. The cardboard sleeves do make for a tight fit in the full box though, so some concern for scratching of the poorly protected CDs is warranted.

Like David, I especially like the LP-style artwork, front and back. These are exactly as I remember the original albums in the 50s and early 60s, only smaller. (A magnifying glass is advised for those with 50+-year-old eyes.) The CDs themselves are each silkscreened with a different identifiable color ring, and track titles are printed on the CDs.

I'd be very surprised if these are not the identical masters used for the larger Concepts box and the "Entertainer of the Century" reissues. If I get a chance in the future, I'll do a computerized digital audio comparison and report back with the results.

No frills, no long liner note essays, and almost none of the extra bonus tracks we've come to expect from previous Capitol CD issues. Just an accurate reproduction of the original versions of these monumental albums from Frank Sinatra's most heralded recording years, at a very reasonable price.

Re: My Review

Originally posted by Bob in Boston Actually, I like this box set a lot. I think it's gotten a bum rap from some of the previous posters. Let me dispel a few of the unfounded conjectures stated earlier:

Songs For Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair are not abridged. That was an error on the website (since corrected).
    I don't know if what I posted in the past regarding this was conjecture. It was due to me seeing the original listing for the item, and it was shown as I described. Thankfully the set was not released as described in that initial description I had seen.
    This set does have family approval. (Obviously, since it's advertised on the Sinatra Family News page, but also since quotes by Nancy, Frankie, and Tina appear in the small photo booklet.
    That's all well and good, Bob, but Nancy has posted many times in the past that the Family doesn't really have control over what the legitimate record companies actually release of Frank's music, at least the previously released stuff. For instance, I can complain (as I have numerous times! ) of Bob Norberg mastering something of Frank's poorly. Nancy may even agree with me (not to put words in her mouth). However, just because a given disc/box set/etc. was released sounding as it does (for better or worse), that doesn't necessarily mean the Sinatra Family actually wanted it to sound as Bob Norberg (or whoever) made the release sound. In some cases, maybe yes, and in some cases maybe no...

Going back to when Frank was alive and actively recording - do you think he actually liked that Duophonic junk Capitol released back in the day of many of his recordings for them? I *personally* doubt it, but such treatment of his recordings were seemingly beyond his control.

<< Nancy has posted many times in the past that the Family doesn't really have control over what the legitimate record companies actually release of Frank's music >>

I think there's a difference between "approval" and "control" (in the sense you are quoting Nancy). It seems obvious that there has been Sinatra Family input into the creation of this set:
    Liner Notes & Photo Research: Charles Pignone

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
    Nancy Sinatra, Frank Sinatra Jr., Tina Sinatra, Robert Finkelstein, Peter Holden and Frank Bowen.

This compilation © 2004 Capitol Records, Inc. / Essex Productions Limited Partnership.
    << For instance, I can complain (as I have numerous times! ) of [...] >>

Your complaints are valid, and I understand and appreciate them, Martin, but they are based on an audiophile's technical appreciation for the sonics. I can hear the difference between Norberg's and Walsh's mastering (barely), and between both of these and the sound of the original LPs (easily), but I don't think it's fair to compare these to (ugh!) Duophonic. Furthermore, the distinctions are probably lost on 99.9% of the listening public.

Even though the Sinatra Family may not control this aspect of the production process, I maintain that they are doing "right" to bring affordable packages like this to market. Perhaps if this music can reach and attract more listeners, so that the labels can make more profit, they will someday see fit to create the products that you (and I) would like to see and hear.

Bob

Florida/Orig from City of Champs..Boston!

Wink In search of...

I am all excited...being a fairly new Sanatra listener and trying to get a good foundation down..I will be in search of the following albums tomorrow:

Wee Small Hours
    The Concert Sinatra
    Come Fly With Me
    Songs for Young Lovers

Being in Tallahassee, Fla. it is hard to find the voice......alot of stores cater to the school kids... On-line may be another option

(edited for spelling)

Gordon, All four of the albums you're looking for should be easy to find in any decent record store.

Note that three of the four titles you listed are Capitol concept albums, so you still might want to consider this box set. Four CDs at typical retail store prices would cost more than half the price of this box with 14 CDs. I guarantee you'll like the music so much that you'll want to purchase the rest later!

Bob

Originally posted by Bob in Boston Your complaints are valid, and I understand and appreciate them, Martin, but they are based on an audiophile's technical appreciation for the sonics. I can hear the difference between Norberg's and Walsh's mastering (barely), and between both of these and the sound of the original LPs (easily), but I don't think it's fair to compare these to (ugh!) Duophonic.
    Heh, I didn't mean to make it seem that I was comparing these to the Duophonic LP's... I was trying to compare two different situations where the quality of the releases were beyond the control of either the Sinatra Family or Frank Sinatra himself. For instance, the quality of the current Frank Sinatra releases from Capitol are not what they should be, but this is beyond the Sinatra Family's control vs. when Frank was alive and active in the recording world, and the quality of some of his Capitol released product (the Duophonic LP's in my example) was really not what it should have been at all, but such problems/poor releases were beyond his control.

Thanks Bob

Thanks for the information Bob...Hey I found the Capitol concept box set on line for $68.00...does this sound right?..I thought it would be more expensive than that?
    Last edited by Gordon; 10-15-2005 at 01:49 AM.

I'd check up and investigate such a cheep price. Where are you getting it from, anyhow?

It's legit. Gordon found it on eBay. It may be that the set is about to be discontinued and surplus boxes are showing up in the aftermarket, or it's just a great bargain. Such is the nature of eBay.

Great!

Thanks Bob for helping me through that purchase..I wanted to make sure it was ligit..and I agree with you it looks a-ok! Can't wait to listen to them..my current collection is scarce....this will add nicely! I have listened to FS for a long time now, but it's just another level of understanding in his music that I am seeking..and I think these concept albums will go a long way in helping me get there..plus Nancy suggested them as well (I wasn't expecting her input, but what a nice surprise that was!!)

onward and upward!

Which version did you get - the black box (from 1992), or the current version? If it's in nice shape, that's a great price, either way.

<< Which version did you get? >>

Answering for Gordon: He got the one described in this thread—the 2004 14-disc mini box that was advertised on TV and the Internet. This one tends to be overlooked since it's not been around that long and is not sold in stores. Still a great price; the one he bought was brand new and still sealed.

That's a great price for either one. Don't forget with the holiday's coming up the Christmas disc will be easily found for under $10. At least that's what it was priced at last year.
    - Terry

"Each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race".

Now Gordon can just dive in head first.

Thumbs up

And loving every minute of it!! I thought I knew a lot about FS..until I found this site! There is so much more to the man and his music!

Thumbs up

*** And I'm loving every minute of it***

Great, Gordon - and believe me, the journey has only just begun.

Bernhard.

Concept of Concept Album

Can someone explain to me the meaning of concept album...Does it mean this is where FS started to try out different approaches to the music or is it an earlier recording that captures the beginings of the voice as we now know him?? Or am I way off base??