Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: CAPITOL RECORDS CONCEPT ALBUMS 2004 

Yes the mastering lets it down when you compare it to the UK set or the Walsh CD's, but for the price you just can't go wrong and it's great music and that still comes through despite the mastering issues. I'd still rather have this set with it's mastering issues than anything FS did after around 65/66 for Reprise, The Capitol era is so much better and this set doesn't take that away at all.

Buy it you won't regret it after all where else can you get 14 CD's of great music for this price.
    Graham

The Definition of a Yorkshire Man is a Scotsman With all The Generosity Squeezed Out.

To be honest the mastering differences are only noticeable between CD versions if you have good equipment and even better hearing. In a blind test, despite being familiar with both I would have trouble I think telling the difference except through headphones (if I ever have far too much time on my hands Ill test that theory!). It is much more noticeable between the Reprise resissues; Ring a Ding Ding and Sinatra at the Sands in particular.

Nick there's a lot of truth in what you say, I have very expensive Hi-Fi separates that I've built up over many years & the difference just shines out straight away as it also does on headphones, but if I listen in the car or a cheaper stereo as I have in my bedroom then the difference is hardly noticeable.
    Graham

The Definition of a Yorkshire Man is a Scotsman With all The Generosity Squeezed Out.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgo View Post
    Nick there's a lot of truth in what you say, I have very expensive Hi-Fi separates that I've built up over many years & the difference just shines out straight away as it also does on headphones, but if I listen in the car or a cheaper stereo as I have in my bedroom then the difference is hardly noticeable.
    I agree!!

There are a ton of these being sold right now. They are going for $27-$34 including shipping on ebay. I see 3 or 4 starting at $0.99 with free shipping every day!!
    The sound isn't great but I do like the "mini-LP" style. Without a doubt worth that kind of money. Once these "overstock" or what ever they are disappear the price is sure to climb back up.
    Steve

The set is being offered at half price at the mo at Sinatra.com $60.00 inc shipping. Not sure how much to UK though.

Mastering weirdness

Well, I got this today for about $40 shipped. I thought I got a great deal, and it is in many ways. The packaging and layout are all very nice.

However, I started comparing some tracks with the late 80's Larry Walsh mastered versions, CD's of which I found at my local library. Well, the difference is worth noting, and I will definitely start buying these when I see them in used CD bins!

I compared COME FLY WITH ME, the Norberg master (used in the 2004 Concepts box) with the Walsh release. One doesn't even need to use headphones to hear how "cramped" the Norberg version sounds, with a muffled quality that is quite discernible when in direct comparison to something so far superior that it is surprising!

SINGS FOR ONLY THE LONELY is more complicated. The one from my library has "Entertainer of the Century" all over it, but the booklet credits Larry Walsh as the remastering engineer. From Bob's posts I figured this was a misprint. The tracks all sound identical for me, except the last bit of "One For My Baby". The 2004 Concepts version has Sinatra's voice disappear to the left channel, whereas the EOTC version that credits Walsh but has a 1987 and 1998 copyright keeps his vocal dead center.

?????
    Chuck Pennington

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    The set is being offered at half price at the mo at Sinatra.com $60.00 inc shipping.
    I don't believe we should be advertising prices here, but that's not a bargain. As mentioned earlier, the price is nearly half again as much from Amazon resellers, new and factory sealed. (In fact, it was down to $29.99 last week, but the seller, Newbury Comics, has apparently exhausted its stock.)

The set is helping me find which albums I like enough to seek out the superior earlier versions. The only problem is I think I'm going to be buying the earlier editions of all of them! LOL - No matter. The packaging is very nice on the 2004 Concepts box, and it makes for a good comparison. Buying the individual older discs used will still cost more than the 2004 Concept boxes that are popping up everywhere so incredibly cheap! Mine was unopened and proclaimed: "Borders Exclusive" on a sticker on the shrink wrap. Seems they were remaindered or something....
    Chuck Pennington

I have all the Capitol CD's and have the 14 disc box as well. I bought it several years ago, great bargain. It doesn't have the bonus tracks, but I don't want to hear Lean Baby with Point of No Return or Sleep Warm with Only the LonelyI do miss the Close to You and No One Cares bonus tracks, though, since they were recorded for the original albums and are perfect fits.

People have said the sound is not great on this box. However, I compared Only the Lonely from the box with my single OTL CD and Frank's singing is clearer and cleaner on the box version.

Just a heads up (Great deal at Sinatra.com)

I got an e-mail today that I could not pass up. I thought i'd pass along this great deal at Sinatra.com

Capitol Records: The Concept Albums
    14 cd's 189 songs. $60 free shipping.

http://www.sinatra.com/store/music/c...concept-albums

The link I posted says $120.00 but when you add it to cart it comes up $60.00 and free shipping.

It's available new elsewhere for much less. See here in the Frank's Recordings thread:

Wow, I didn't think that 60 bucks for 14 cd's was bad. And sorry for the repost. I did a search and it didn't come up.

Some of the CDs in the 14-CD version of "Concepts" have a stereo logo on them and some don't. There is no rhyme or reason to the order. None of the first six do, then "Come Fly with Me" does; "Only the Lonely" doesn't; the next three ("Come Dance," "No One Cares," "Nice N Easy") do; "Sinatra's Swinging Session" doesn't; "Come Swing with Me" does; "Point of No Return" doesn't.

Which of these are in stereo?

Quote Originally Posted by bellczar View Post
    Some of the CDs in the 14-CD version of "Concepts" have a stereo logo on them and some don't. [...] Which of these are in stereo?
    Technically, all are in stereo.

That little "Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo" emblem on the back covers is meaningless as far as the compact discs are concerned. Those are replicas of actual LP covers on the cardboard jackets in the box set, but all of the albums which were recorded in stereo are presented in stereo. Even the mono-only albums have some amount of fake stereo processing applied to these CD remasters (by Bob Norberg).

Note that the first five albums in the box were never recorded in stereo. Also, the original stereo LP versions of Where Are You? and Only The Lonely were incomplete. Therefore, these seven have replicas of the mono LP covers. The remaining seven CDs have replicas of stereo LP covers, whether or not the emblem appears on the back, except Nice 'N' Easy (which curiously has the mono LP cover with a stereo emblem).

In short, the covers and emblems have no relationship to the audio on the compact discs themselves.

Thanks, Bob. I knew you would know.

I was confused about the stereo logos because the reproduced covers lack the S that was found on Capitol stereo releases (e.g., W 781 instead of WS 781).

Quote Originally Posted by bellczar View Post
    W 781 instead of WS 781
    That would be SW not WS. (Although 781 would not have had an SW version, as it predated stereo.)

With regard to that circular "Full Dimensional Stereo" emblem on the backs of some of the albums, there is one "odd" cover in the box set: Nice 'N' Easy has the mono LP cover (W 1417), but it contains the stereo emblem. I have a real copy of the mono LP, and it does not have that emblem on the back.

Well, just ordered this set on Amazon for $44.99. Should receive it next week sometime, looking forward to it!

I simply love this box. I've completed the "Capitol-Years" with The Jolly Christmas CD, The complete singles collection and the two This is Sinatra Vol. 1&2 (newly released in 2010 BlueMoon). I also got the "Close to you and more-CD" because there you can find the funny "There's a flaw in my flue". Love it or hate it: I prefer the NORBERG-Remasters!

Hi Markus, I like the Norberg work also. Mel.
    Melvin