Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many records sold Frank Sinatra?

How many records did Frank Sinatra sell?

There is a list of the
    best sellinhg music artists at Wikipedia.
    They think, he sold only 50 Millions, but that's much too little, isn't it?
    Last edited by Thorsten; 01-11-2006 at 07:45 PM.

Let us let Nancy answer this one!
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Records sold

I'm no statistician and his total sales are nowhere near the top of my Sinatra interests. However, I would guess that if you count his 78's, 45's, LP's, EP's, casssettes, 8 tracks and CD's, the total has to be many times 50 million.

He made his first record in 1939 and recorded until 1993. He has made hundreds of "singles." At least two of them, "All Or Nothing at All" and "Something Stupid," each sold over one million. Many more in the 40's, 50's and 60's were best sellers. He made more than 40 singles alone between '53 and '60 for Capitol. Add to that all lthe singles he made with RCA, Columbia and Reprise and sales have to exceed 50 million in just singles.

A bunch of his albums such as "Come Dance with Me" and "Only the Lonely" have sold at least a million each, maybe several million over the decades in their various formats. And there are 100+ more albums sold in the 45, LP, EP, 8 track, casssette and CD formats (remember 8 tracks?).

FS was primarily an album seller, but with just singles alone, there have to be more than 50 million.

Take all of the above and include collections, box sets of 2, 3, 4, 10, 20 or more LP's, CD's, etc,, and I would guess you have more than 500 million.

Regardless of the figures, whatever they are, listen to the music and keep it coming.

Ed Spiegel
    Last edited by Edwin; 01-11-2006 at 03:10 PM.

Sinatra is famous all over the world for a number of generations, so I am not certain that is true. If it is, then all I can say is that in the main record buying really took off with the younger pop and rock generations as record playing equipment in the home prior to this time was still more of a luxury. Today the major record companies aim the bulk of their produce to the young and this is why it is not easy for singers and performers who aim their work to a more mature audience to get recording contracts. Even Nancy has mentioned on this site recently how hard it can be to find a label so that she could get her new albums recorded and released.

As far as FS is concerned, I think that the bulk of the record buying public today need an education first and then perhaps they would start to appreciate really great music and buy up some of the great recordings from the back catalogues and then you will see FS sell in far greater quantity.
    JEFFREY

See this earlier thread: Sales and chart position of FS albums?

Based on RIAA sales figures (in the US), FS had 32 Gold (half-million sales), 10 Platinum (one million), 3 Double Platinum (two million), and one Triple Platinum (three million) albums. Those alone total at least 25 million albums sold, and that does not include international sales or singles/other formats or sales before 1958.

See here for definitions of RIAA awards: Gold, Platinum and Diamond Recordings

[Added:] Whatever the actual figures, FS does not come close to the sales of many newer artists. The RIAA site has him ranked 69th on the list of Top Artists by cumulative US album sales, with 25.5 million units. In comparison, the Beatles and Elvis have sales of 168.5 and 116.5 albums, respectively.

This kind of statistics are completely crazy. I don't stand them. I don't stand to see that Sinatra sold less than Bon Jovi or Paul Anke!! MAH!

As Mark Twain stated (quoting Disraeli):

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

This kind of statistics are completely crazy. I don't stand them. I don't stand to see that Sinatra sold less than Bon Jovi or Paul Anke!! MAH!
    ...Or "Modern Talking" or "Alla Pugacheva" (?) or...

Unfortunately, gold record awards are not based on artistry.

Does this number of 25 million also meantion the reissues and such things?

Bob, the figures you give add up to 35 million on my abacus!!
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons

subject and predicate

The thread title is how many songs sold Sinatra - sounds like a sentence fragment - sold him to what?

Examples:

No doubt "The House I Live In" sold him to Eleanor Roosevelt.

"My Way" sold him to fiercely independent individualists.

"You are the Sunshine of My Life" sold him to young Black audiences.

etcetera.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

<< Bob, the figures you give add up to 35 million on my abacus!! >>

They overlap, George. E.g. each Platinum record is also a Gold, so a Platinum counts as only 500,000 more:

32 Gold @ 0.5 mil = 16 mil
    10 Plat @ 0.5 mil more = 5 mil
    3 Dbl Plat @ 1 mil more = 3 mil
    1 Tpl Plat @ 1 mil more = 1 mil

16 + 5 + 3 + 1 = 25 million

It's the new math.

<< subject and predicate >>

John: We have to make an allowance for a non-English speaker. I think that's the natural sentence structure in German for "How many records did FS sell?" Perhaps one of our other regulars von Deutschland will confirm.

People have to remember..when rock n roll was introduced.. thats when people REALLY started to buy records in huge quantities. i bet if Frank started in the business present day..he would be selling ALOT, I MEAN ALOT, of CDs.

Chicago math

I get it now, Bob! I should have known better with a guy like you. Hey, that's almost a Beatle song.

Structure of foreign languages:

"How many records sold FS ?"
    "How many records did FS sell ?"

I hope you correct me, I guess the second version is misleading, also.

FS was a lot but not a salesman !

On the other hand a good salesmen knows:

If you want to have success in selling, you have to sell yourself first !

Translated into German one will have problem in order to hire a salesgirl.

It gets lost in the translation, eh Anton????

Serious current figures for world-wide Sinatra sales (from the beginning of his career to date) would be somewhere at close to 400 million. Sinatra has very few rivals in that area.

Bernhard.

Bernhard

So my guesstimate above of 500 million wasn't bad.

Ed Spiegel