Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Copacabana closes its doors for incoming subway

Copacabana closes its doors for incoming subway

I think this is the correct place to start this thread.

I went by the Copa the other day. It was very busy. They're talking about The Bronx for a new location. I suppose that would be near the new stadium.

link
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

All the landmarks are going -- I'm not a Yankee fan, but I don't think they need a new stadium either. These are landmarks to me.
    Rhoda
    In memory of my Jesse and my Eric.

We're losing them on this coast too. Trader Vics is virtually gone now. Dad had a long history there. So did I. So did my kids.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Trader Vics was in the Plaza Hotel, in NY. I went there many times. I'm not sure if it's there anymore, the Plaza is now apartments.
    Rhoda

When Merv Griffin sold the Hilton Hotel Trader Vic's was doomed. They are in a tiny bar near the pool now. They serve pupus and drinks. That's all.

I saved everything I could from my stays at the Plaza. I have the Eloise book, the doll, the plaza bathrobe and the little bathtub soapdish. I paid for them, (I didn't steal them,) and I treasure them. A while back an auction house sold a lot of memorabilia from the Plaza. So sad. The violins in the Garden Court, The Oyster Bar, so many memories.

Yankee Stadium is right across from Congressman Serrano's office in the bronx. It's so special I can't imagine the Bronx without it.

All we can count on is change, I guess.
    DON'T DESPAIR

Nancy, it just ain't fair. I remember Fifth Avenue, with all the beautiful department stores - B. Altmans, Russeks, etc. -- Just not the same.
    Rhoda

What I miss the most in New York is Chock Full -o- Nuts. Their raisin bread cream cheese sandwiches and those yummy donuts with the powdered sugar that were a little bit crunchy. Oh, how I miss those places.
    DON'T DESPAIR

On my first job, Chock was right across the street, that was where I would talk to Jackie Robinson, his office was there.

My last job, it was right on the corner, 54th & Madison. Boy, what did they do to NY???
    Rhoda

What a very sad thread!

I have noticed in other American cities that there is a push to tear down the old and build something new in its place, but that is why every place ends up looking like every other place.

My first real encounter with this mentality was here in New Orleans when FEMA came out with its list of properties to be demolished. Thank G-d many local people came back in time to stop the demolitions, but a few historic structures were lost to bulldozers and not the Storm.

Every community has places which are prominent to the identity of that place and they must be preserved. The preservation of our history and memories in the buildings where the events took place is how future generations (our children) can directly connect with the people who made that history and heritage.
    chad
    "Come Home to NOLA"
    My email is: chadham6@msn.com

Chad, you know -- you got that right. This is very sad. When I want to see the old Fifth Avenue, as it was when I grew up, I have to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's.
    Rhoda

Rhoda

I know what you mean! We talked about that before...how a good bit of New York has retained itself, yet so much has been lost to the wrecking ball.

Do you remember when you and Elba were at my house and I had the two books "New York, then and now" and the "New Orleans, then and now." We commented on how the New York pictures showed such a change over a hundred years and the New Orleans pics were almost the same.

New York is far too beautiful to let developers destroy another inch of it. At our last visit to New York, we were the last guests to stay at the Mayflower Hotel at Columbus Circle and Central Park. The Mayflower is gone now, but I still have the soap, shower cap, shampoo, and conditioner!

It is just a shame to me that we are working so hard to save New Orleans, but there are people intentionally tearing down New York to make it look like Dallas, Texas.

Do we really want it to become necessary for a person to go to Disneyworld in Florida to experience virtual New York because the real thing was demolished to build a mall?
    chad
    "Come Home to NOLA"
    My email is: chadham6@msn.com

Why do they always have to tear it down?
    In my country, many historical building get 'protected' - wish mean you cannot tear it down and you have to renovate in accordance to the original style...
    My own city it's towncenter is protected by the UNESCO and is called world heritage.
    http://whc.unesco.org/en/about/

I really wish they do that in NY and other great American cities too!

That bothers me too, that why do they almost always have to tear down the historical buildings. Renovating them makes much more sense. The saddest thing is that not everyone cares about history and rather than preserve these buildings for the future, their knocked down.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

When I lived in Manhattan I would frequent the Copa very often. It was always a favorite place of mine. I saw so many famous people perform there. I can't believe it will be gone. I wonder if the Chateau Madrid is still there.

As for the Plaza I spent my wedding night there. For years after that we would have special weekends there, even though we lived in NY.
    I do believe they are apartments now.
    I didn't know the Mayflower Hotel was gone.

This is all too sad for me.
    Grace

Grace

I spent my wedding night at the PLAZA, too.
    Took my daughter there for tea on her birthday with another little girl and her mother.

Saw Ron Stewart at the bar. He spent alot of time at that bar.

I loved it( the hotel, not Rod, though he was OK).

I haven't seen the changes, but I can't imagine the Palm court gone. The Palm Court is in the movie of THE GREAT GATSBY. I know I saved some stationary and my daughter's little girl robe that we bought at the gift shop. I'm glad I was able to stay there, have tea a few times, and run in alot to go in the ladies room when we were shopping at FAO SCHWARTZ. sp.

I went to the COPA once after it was run down. We went to see my daughter's friend Laura Bundy in a showcase of RUTHLESS. She grew up and now stars in LEGALLY BLONDE. It was so cool just being in that room.

I've also spent time at the Mayflower and like you didn't know it was gone. My daughter had an audition there one Sunday and that was the day we found the Lutheran church we attended the rest of our time in NYC. The audition was over at 11 and we walked into the closest church and stayed for years. I've stayed at the hotel, too. This is why my daughter didn't want to work in NEW YORK. We like it the way it is (was). I don't want to go back and not recognize anything.
    Melanie
    She loves the theatre but never comes late That's why the Lady is a Tramp.

Melanie -- it's still a great city. Things may be gone, but NY is NY. I can't ever imagine living anywhere else.
    Rhoda

the almighty dollar has no soul

in San Francisco, going back almost thirty years, we had wonderful 1940s streetcar lines, much like a few remaining ones here in Philly and in other cities. Then, the new light rail replaced quality with squalor. No more smooth sway on the bends; instead, jerky stops and starts. Stupid common pigs at first thought it was just great to trash the old.

Oddly enough, a decade later, after Market Street got its canary palms, the big comfortable old streetcars were back on the Market Street line. No thanks to clueless philistines. Was this a plot to heighten exclusive novelty by absence enhancing the heart's fondness?
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

Melanie, how wonderful that you have lots of good memories of New York. There is no other place like it. I know a lot has changed, but as Rhoda said, not everything has changed. And New York is still New York.
    I still have family there, and many have moved upstate but still venture into the city as often as possible.

I do remember the Palm Court and The Oak Room (I think that was the name). I used to just love to sit in the lobby. Sometimes I would stroll in Central Park near the Central Pk South entrance and just sit on the benches and admire the Plaza. What a really majestic place it was (or is). I am happy you were able to enjoy this, too Melanie. By the way, how fortunate for you that you found a church just like that, and were happy with it for ten years.
    Grace

Grace, I'll bet you remember Toffenettis Restaurant too. I think it's Nathan's now.
    Rhoda

Well, we still have the 21 Club.
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.