Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Copacabana closes its doors for incoming subway

<< at an event, before she died. (did she die? I think so)>>

I'm sorry Mel, but you do make me laugh!

It's my southern gothic sense

of somethingthat makes you laugh.
    Melanie
    She loves the theatre but never comes late That's why the Lady is a Tramp.

I met Laurie Beechman and did some showcases with her in NYC in the mid '70's - she stuck it out and made a name for herself; unfortunately she passed away in 1998. Not a good year.

http://www.theatrefest.com/LaurieBeechman/
    When You're Here, It's Family
    Twitter: @GijLyons

I know alot of people who idolized her, George

You were lucky to meet her. I saw her sing, but can't remember where now. I'll have to look it up on the computer. She might have even come back to CATS at the end. CATS, the butt of more jokes than any othe musical. It was innovative and my daughter loved it as a child. I have a pic of her dressed up as the white cat for Halloween. I need to scan it.
    Melanie

Facts About...Cats.

CATS was first shown in London's West End, at the New London Theatre, on May 11, 1981.

It was originally produced onstage by Cameron Mackintosh and Lloyd Webber's " The Really Useful Theatre Company".

It played a total of 8,949 performances in London. Its final performance in London's West End was on its 21st birthday, May 11, 2002 and broadcast on a large screen in Covent Garden to the delight of fans who could not acquire a ticket for the final performance. It held the record as the world's longest running musical until 8 October 2006, when it was surpassed by Les Miserables.

The show made its debut on Broadway on October 7, 1982 at the Winter Garden Theatre with the same production team. On June 19, 1997, Cats became the longest running musical in Broadway history with 6,138 performances. It played a total of 7,485 performances in New York.

Its New York record was surpassed on January 9, 2006, by "The Phantom of the Opera", which was also composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Cats' final performance on Broadway was on September 10, 2000.
    Last edited by Tina; 07-26-2007 at 12:15 PM.

My daughter's show LES MISERABLES

was also produced by Cameron Mackintosh and I have some lovely photos of him lifting her up to light the candles at one of the anniversary parties. He was lovely with the children. And they were so at ease with him and with Claude Michel Schonberg, one of the composers who also attended the party, the only time we ever met him. I also have pics of him. Five scrapbooks of Les Miserables. He told my daughter she would be Fantine when she grew up. If she had only kept up with other voice lessons

Tina where is Les Miserables in the records now. With the dramatic closing a few years ago which my daughter attended, and then a reopening a few years later. Maybe that's so they don't have to keep inviting ten years worth of Les Mis alumni to their parties.
    Melanie

Melanie....how wonderful that you were able to see Bobby short at the Carlyle Hotel. I always wanted to, but for some reason I never did.

Also, I think the place where Woody Allen stops in to play, may be
    "Elaines", but I am not certain.

There was a place that was famous for its Reuben Sandwiches, but the name escapes me.
    (more and more senior moments lately )
    Grace

I didn't see him at Elaine's though he's always gone there

Somebody at THE PLAZA told me where he was playing years ago. And we went. There wasn't much too it. It was long before his scandal with Mia's child. I've never been to Elaine's, so I know it wasn't there.

The Bobby Short thing was always on my list. I'm glad I made it.

The Rainbow Room is for the future.
    Melanie

Woody eats at Elaine's and presents his shows at the Cafe Carlyle. He is a really good musician and his band is great. It's very expensive there though.
    DON'T DESPAIR

When I heard him it was in a little joint that was known

for nothing but him playing there, but it was expensive. But it wasn't the Carlyle.
    This place wasn't that fancy. This was many years ago.

It's nice to know where he plays now though.

I googled it. When I saw him, he was still playing at Michael's Pub every Monday. Then supposedly it closed around 1995, and he moved to the Carlyle. I never knew that.
    Last edited by Carolinagirl; 07-26-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Melanie

Michael's Pub sounds right. I also didn't know he had gone to the Carlyle Hotel. I've heard how expensive it is.

Boy, I miss Manhattan.
    Grace

I paid plenty for a few hours with Bobby Short

My brother had introduced me to the album. BOBBY SHORT AT THE CAFE CARLYLE. He sings ONE FOR MY BABY wonderfully on that, though I don't have it anymore.

I wish I had paid more for the one Frank Sinatra Show that was on while I lived in NYC at RADIO CITY. It was a matter of working it out with people at my daughter's theatre and that was easier said than done. I didn't have anybody to pick her up and it wasn't easy for her to get off. I would have taken her if she could have gotten off, but it was too complicated. Now regret. I knew i was making a mistake while I was doing it. Just didn't know how to fix it. I never had another chance.
    Melanie

I had the pleasure of taking

my sister-in-law to The Rainbow Room for her special birthday. We both will not forget that evening.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by ARIES3032 View Post
    my sister-in-law to The Rainbow Room for her special birthday. We both will not forget that evening.
    You mean in the Copacabana? Wow, I wish I had been there once.
    Like Dean would put it; I missed all the fun - and i did.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchy View Post
    You mean in the Copacabana? Wow, I wish I had been there once.
    Like Dean would put it; I missed all the fun - and i did.

Phil, the Rainbow Room is not in the Copacabana. It is in Rockefeller Center, a separate place.
    Anyway, the old Copa closed its doors early this year, as far as I know. Supposedly, it was supposed to open elsewhere???

I love reading this old thread....so many good memories.
    Phil, you did miss all the fun. I'm glad I was part of it.
    Grace

Copa

Memories...I worked in mid-town Manhattan for 18 years (50 & 6th) and during the 80's a bunch of guys would go the Copa every Friday after work for a few drinks and to unwind. Great memories of dancing there and my 2 pals and I drawing a crowd around us as we danced the latest moves...so smooth. Too bad it has closed, only wish I could have gone there in its heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Woody eats at Elaine's presents his shows at the Cafe Carlyle. He is a really good musician and his band is great. It's very expensive there though.
    This update took 5 years to post but in the 1970s-80s Woody Allen had a regular Monday evening gig at Michael's Pub.

Larry

More memories than you can shake three sticks at! This was Numero Uno in terms of my childhood autograph hounding with my wonderful Cousin Sylvia, and her friends! From Joe E. Lewis to Myron Cohen to Jack Carter (who's still alive & kickin') to T Bennett to Jerry Vale to S Davis Jr to E Gorme to The Supremes to B Darin to TJones AD INFINITUM...If they could sing, dance, tell jokes, or do impressions -- we got their signature! Mr. Podell knew all of us by name, and his niece would give us cookies & milk, "so you'll have the energy to run after Fonda, Garbo, Grant, Hepburn, Picasso, and the other high-class' celebs!" Amazing!
    Last edited by Ace917; 07-07-2012 at 07:02 AM.
    Stanley

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzotedesco View Post
    This update took 5 years to post but in the 1970s-80s Woody Allen had a regular Monday evening gig at Michael's Pub.

Larry
    Larry, in Posts 70 and 71, Melanie and I mentioned this. Gosh, so many memories.
    I just loved re-reading this thread.
    Grace

Grace, My attention to detail fails me more and more as I get older. And I did read the posts by you and Melanie. I am a dummkopf.

Stanley, Your stories are amazing.

Larry
    Last edited by lorenzotedesco; 07-10-2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: spelling