Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NICE 'N' EASY (Capitol) 1960 Riddle

I love this album. Frank is in superb form and all of the songs are so romantic. The title track is of course fabulous and an all time Frank classic. "How Deep Is The Ocean?" is superb, "You Go To My Head" is hypnotic, "She's Funny That Way" is smooth, and no matter how many times Frank and others have done them, "I've Got A Crush On You" and "Embraceable You" have never been done better, the same thing goes for "Dream."

Love this album, its so mellow. I love to put it on sit back and read a nice book, bliss!

I've got it on record but the cover that is on my copy is the version with the painting, I really want to get the other one with cover that the CD does. Which is the original and which is the reissue, just out curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by tobefrank View Post
    Which is the original and which is the reissue, just out curiosity?
    The original album cover is the one on the CD, as shown in post #1 of this thread. The painted cover was a reissue in the UK only. (It was unknown in the US.)

The original album cover is the one on the CD, as shown in post #1 of this thread. The painted cover was a reissue in the UK only. (It was unknown in the US.)
    Ah right! Thanks very much. I must get the original sometime, I like the cover better!

I absolutely LOVE the title song, it's perfect Sinatra!

After the title song however, this album gets even better. I take on board all the comments from Chuck and Nick and Bob and all above - because it is so very true that this album is surely one of the best of not only the Capitol period but also the entire Sinatra career. That is because the choice of material, the singing of it, the phrasing and breath control, the maturer Sinatra voice and the wonderful arrangements and indeed the overall sound qualityu all make it. And note that I do also agree with Chuck Granata's comments regarding about the front album cover which somehow fails to live up to the sublime quality which is on the disk.

My personal favourite tracks include:-

"Nice 'n' Easy"
    "That Old Feeling"
    "How Deep Is the Ocean?"
    "You Go to My Head"
    "Fools Rush In"
    "Nevertheless"
    "She's Funny That Way"
    "Try a Little Tenderness"
    "Embraceable You"
    "Mam'selle"

I like 'Dream'and 'I've Got a Crush On You' too, but how can I list them all? The latter song, I actually prefer from the Sands live recording in 1966.

I have not mentioned the bonus tracks here but I will say that
    "The Nearness of You" by Hoagy Carmichael and Ned Washington is one of my all time favourite recordings which song can be found on "Sinatra Sings Of Love & Things" (another of my favourite Capitol albums - albeit not an original 'concept album') 2:43

The other two songs, great though they are, are not of the same era and frankly do not belong on this 1960 Gem of an album as far as I am concerned.

I could (and would love to) say a lot more about each song on this album but I am out of time today and what's more, so many of you have already said it better than I possibly can. Suffice it to say that I think this is a brilliant album and Frank is WONDERFUL!
    ):
    Jeffrey

I absolutely LOVE the title song, it's perfect Sinatra!
    So true. Nancy did a beautiful recording of Nice 'n' Easy too. She made it her own with guitar rather than a whole band.

I try to alternate my CDs of Frank. But I find I always manage to slip this one in as often as possible.
    Grace

I love this album. It is Sinatra phrasing and intonation at its best! This is one that I can put on and listen to every track and get lost in it. The "Where are You" album does the same thing for me. The arrangements by Nelson Riddle are simply great on the Nice and Easy album. How come arrangements of this quality are no longer written? When Rod Stewart or somebody like that records ballads from the great American songbook, the arrangement rarely have this kind of depth.
    Jeff

Thanks for the bump, Tina. And with all this discussion, I decided to put the album on... listening to it right now. What a terrific album! The song Nice 'N' Easy may not belong but it's an absolute perfect song for Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by morrowjs View Post
    How come arrangements of this quality are no longer written? When Rod Stewart or somebody like that records ballads from the great American songbook, the arrangement rarely have this kind of depth.
    I have asked myself that question many times. And I believe that like Frank, his arrangers... Stordahl, Nelson, Jenkins, May, Costa and the others are each one of a kind.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Indeed, I would like to hear Nancy's softer version in full. I did hear a small segment of that recording a while back and it was sweet.

Whilst some may point out that the Title Song does not really belong, I would suggest that it obviously does belong because it is such a great song and so much to the point that Frank put it there right at the top as an introduction to what follows.

Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Simmons View Post
    I would like to hear Nancy's softer version in full.
    Sinatra Family Jukebox, Jeffrey.

"Nice 'N' Easy" is track 13 of the album Nancy - Twelve Ways.

Thanks Bob - it was great. I really liked it.
    Jeffrey

Listening to "The nearness of of you".

This is such a beautiful album...

Quote Originally Posted by Swoonergirl View Post
    Listening to "The Nearness of you"....:
    Well Melissa, when I was a boy and I first heard that track, as the opening song of the Capitol Album, "Sinatra Sings Of Love & Things" I suddenly realised what Frank Sinatra was all about. I think that song changed my life!

My parents both pointed out to me that amazing voice, phrasing and breath control, which was easily apparent on that recording and I never forgot about it. I listened out for it and found it in every other Sinatra recording. From that moment I was hooked. I knew there never was nor ever will be anyone better that Frank Sinatra. I still hold that view today.

On the back of the album was a quote from Bing Crosby who said something to the effect of ..."Frank Sinatra is the kind of singer who comes once in lifetime, but why did it have to be my lifetime?"

Jeffrey

News of a new limited edition CD release: New MFSL Sinatra CDs

A lovely album ...... so romantic.

Fools Rush In ... just puts me in a trance ... sooths my soul !

Hi Nigel,

I agree with you re "Fools Rush In" -- this is one of my favorite songs and NO ONE DOES IT BETTER THAN FRANK! Absolutely one of the most beautiful songs ever - that gorgeous light airy flute music mingling with Franks pure smooth deeper mature voice, and his phrasing is impecable......just can not BELIEVE how long he can hold a note, or how many words he can sing on on one breath - UNBELIEVABLE!

I'm sure if I had ever been able to hear him sing this in person I would have just died on the spot!!!

This was my first Sinatra puchase a few weeks ago when I finally woke up and fell in love with . Many nights, I let Frank sing me to sleep by this CD -- don't get the wrong impression, it is NOT that he puts me to sleep, but rather he lifts me up to the heavens with his voice, where I can peacefully sleep amongst the clouds and the stars...........his voice is serenly heavenly (I need a swoon emoticon)

Hi Gail,

So glad you love this song ...... you have impeccable taste !!
    Sure no one else sings it like Frank and his phrasing is one of
    the things that set him apart from other great vocalists.

Frank learnt all this stuff about breath control from his band leader
    Tommy Dorsey and I think he actually used to practice holding his
    breath under water ....... now that's dedication for you !!!

The thing with Frank is I have so many favorites but If I was pushed
    to compile a list this song would without any doubt be a certainty.

I spent a couple of days at Capitol Records (Studio A in the tower) at Michael Feinstein's recording sessions. Al Schmitt was mixing in Studio B, and his assistant had pulled the master session tape for "Nice 'n Easy" (the song) to use as a demo for some executives.

Before I left, I hung out while he did his preview for the following day. I took some photos of the tape, which I will post if I can figure out how to do it.

I got an amazing demonstration of how the echo chambers work through the board. Incredible sound. I hope that someday I have the chance to work on the Capitol tapes - they are superb sounding, and as an experienced reissue producer, I could tell from my brief time in the Capitol studio that much could be done to improve the sound of the CDs that have been issued thus far.
    BONX!

I will look forward to seeing those pictures, Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by rustic View Post
    A lovely album ...... so romantic.

Fools Rush In ... just puts me in a trance ... sooths my soul !
    Fools Rush In is beautiful. It's one of my favorite Mercer songs.