Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: Saturn (and other delights)

There is a comet passing over the north pole - 41P/Tuttle–Giacobini–Kresák - best to use binoculars

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Beautiful photo!
    I can't believe what you say because I see what you do. ~ James Baldwin

This image shows Jupiter’s south pole, as seen by NASA’s Juno spacecraft from an altitude of 32,000 miles (52,000 kilometers). The oval features are cyclones, up to 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) in diameter. Multiple images taken with the JunoCam instrument on three separate orbits were combined to show all areas in daylight, enhanced color, and stereographic projection.
    Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS/Betsy Asher Hall/Gervasio Robles

Amazing view that surprised planetary scientists

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/a...s-juno-mission

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

4. Heavenly!

Wow - the Great Red Spot as Juno flies over...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHOU View Post
    Wow - the Great Red Spot as Juno flies over...
    "Wow" is right! How many earths would fit in the red storm? Two or three? It's huge. And it's been raging for hundreds of years.
    Pack a small bag....

Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    "Wow" is right! How many earths would fit in the red storm? Two or three? It's huge. And it's been raging for hundreds of years.
    It's been going on for at least 350 years!

One of the fun facts I remember is that over 1000 Earths could fit inside of Jupiter!

Launched in October of 1997 the Cassini mission is almost over.

The spacecraft is making the last few orbits before it plunges into the atmosphere of Saturn!

A cool image of the uppermost atmosphere of Saturn with the rings behind.

9. It's a shame it has to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    It's a shame it has to die.
    It is! But it had a long and very successful life.

11. bye-bye Cassini
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Only 8 days left for Cassini

13. What is the blue line?

What is the blue line?
    That's the trajectory of Cassini's final plunge into the atmosphere of Saturn.

NASA could have just used remaining propellant to continue exploration, but when the propellant was gone, Cassini would have been adrift. They didn't want to take the chance that Cassini would impact and contaminate Titan or Enceladus, two moons of which "pre-biotic" life conditions have been observed. So they decided to make a controlled descent and let Cassini burn up in the Saturnian atmosphere.
    Pack a small bag....

Tonight on PBS:

Death Dive to Saturn

The PBS show on Saturn last night was excellent. I learned a few things that I was not aware of!

In addition, a scientist I knew from my days working at GISS was in the show: Tony Del Genio

Only about 20 hours left for Cassini

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/...s-cassini-now/

18. This is making me so sad.

This is making me so sad.
    It is sad!

The spacecraft itself is still working amazingly well. The problem is that its out of fuel and with no gas stations around ( ) they wanted to make sure that Cassini never crashes into a moon of Saturn and contaminate it with anything that might have hitched a ride from earth.

So the mission operators intentionally flew Cassini by Saturn's largest moon, Titan. During the flyby Cassini's trajectory was changed such that it was now on a collision course with Saturn. This "goodbye kiss" as it was called, occurred on September 11.

20. Where will it end or will it just burn up? Are there any other "Cassinis" out there?