Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SUGAR (1966)

Sugar is one of my favorite albums!

I listen to it often.

Revisting this favorite today. It still sounds great and was very ahead of its time.
    Mike

Press On....

3. So you're a dixieland fan, eh?

Yes...this album introduced me to most of the songs when I was a teen. Of course, My Buddy is one of my favorites of all time.The Dixieland songs are to great to sing in the car...no one needs to hear me.lol
    Mike

Press On....

I love these songs too. HARD HEARTED HANNAH, MY BUDDY, LIMEHOUSE BLUES, and so many others come to mind.
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

6. Funny, but I was thinking about HHH just this morning watching golf from Atlanta. I had a lot of fun twisting that one around a little bit.

I miss my ATL friends SO MUCH, but I know I did the right thing by moving to be closer to mother. I'll never regret it and hopefully, once Clarence is better and we get all of the hospital bills paid, UGH, we can visit our friends. As for HHH, twist it you did and amazingly so!
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

For a limited time, download Sugar for just $6.99 from Amazon mp3

Download this album from Amazon.
    Download NANCY SINATRA's latest album, SHIFTING GEARS, now!Download from iTunes Download this album from Amazon.

My partner, Jimmy, has had this cd in his car for the last six months. This could be a good time for him to download his own copy.
    Mike

Press On....

MY BUDDY -- Nancy Sinatra

There are songs better sung by women – something is lost when they're sung by men. Even if Frank Sinatra himself recorded it, MY BUDDY wouldn't carry the same emotional weight it did one Sunday evening when I was 21 (a very good year) and Nancy performed it 'live' on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Just as an aside, “The Ed Sullivan Show” was watched by the entire nation of Canada – especially when this nation's funniest native sons (friends of my father) Johnny Wayne and Frank Schuster performed a skit. They were Ed's favorite guests – and made a record number of appearances. Wonder if they were performing that very night when Nancy sang MY BUDDY. If they were, Nancy might remember. If she can't . . . I know one or two guys here who could probably pin it down.

I thought of this, after Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio played Nancy's lovely album version of this song, overnight.

On this 'kinescope' of a videotape (numbers at bottom of screen) – from the early days of color TV, the show's director inter-cuts 16-mm film clips of Nancy with her “buddies” in Vietnam. Tears of joy for all those young men's faces – my age back then, and “in harm's way” as Nancy says. All us guys overcome with her beauty as she sang this one. Did I mention this is my favorite version? (after Doris Day's hit recording of 1952).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmYZ2kk1NiU

Wonderful "comments" below the video include this -- from year 2010 when the video was posted -- from someone we know and love:

George Lyons
    9 years ago
    Love this!

And this more recent "comment" that speaks for so many of us guys!

MrListener43
    3 years ago
    Few singers can combine heartfelt emotion and vocal perfection the way Nancy does on this rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    There are songs better sung by women – something is lost when they're sung by men. Even if Frank Sinatra himself recorded it, MY BUDDY wouldn't carry the same emotional weight it did one Sunday evening when I was 21 (a very good year) and Nancy performed it 'live' on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Just as an aside, “The Ed Sullivan Show” was watched by the entire nation of Canada – especially when this nation's funniest native sons (friends of my father) Johnny Wayne and Frank Schuster performed a skit. They were Ed's favorite guests – and made a record number of appearances. Wonder if they were performing that very night when Nancy sang MY BUDDY. If they were, Nancy might remember. If she can't . . . I know one or two guys here who could probably pin it down.

I thought of this, after Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio played Nancy's lovely album version of this song, overnight.
    FS recorded "My Buddy" with Harry James in 1939. An official YouTube video can be heard here.

Nancy's detailed recollections of the song can be read in the blog post Nancy’s "Ed Sullivan" 10 and "Movin' With Nancy, On Stage."

For a related post: See Nancy's comments in "I think about you all through the day, my buddy."

Other guests on her ten Ed Sullivan programs are listed in Nancy's Movie & TV Timeline. She sang "My Buddy" on the February 26, 1967 episode. Also appearing were: George Campo, Charo, Clair & McMahon, Xavier Cugat, Barbara McNair, Corbett Monica, Pinky & Perky, Los Romeros, The Steel Bandits, Henny Youngman. Although Wayne & Shuster did not appear on that date, they were guests on Nancy's March 8, 1970 episode.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 03-14-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Andrew

"Nancy at her most beautiful best . . . "

Really, Andrew -- can't thank you enough for all you do -- but for the specifics in this one, I'm so deeply grateful. If I were left to my own devices, well to borrow from Scarlet Ribbons (you're too young to remember that one!) "If I lived to be a hundred, I would never know from where . . ."

My musical sister (if Frank's is the best male singing voice I ever heard, my sister's is his female counterpart) "Andrea" just emailed me to say, re Nancy's take on MY BUDDY:

"Nancy Sinatra at her most beautiful best -- both physically and vocally! How could you not LOVE this gorgeous rendition of a timeless, tear-jerking classic?"