2. I'LL NEVER BE FREE
    3. TEXAS COWBOY NIGHT* (#23 COUNTRY)
    4. IT'S A FAR CRY FROM OVER
    5. COWBOY CARRY ME HOME

*ISSUED ON THE CURB RECORDS CD, MEL TILLIS - THE BEST OF MEL TILLIS
    The Nancy Sinatra UK Fan Page
    http://www.movinwithnancy.fsnet.co.uk

4. Hi Lea

Thanks for posting that. I just bought that album before Christmas. It's great! chad
    chad
    "Come Home to NOLA"
    My email is: chadham6@msn.com

Re: the LP back cover pic

Mel, you lucky dog.
    George B.

Cool Dear Friend Lea.

I wish to find this album someday and also hope that Warner/Elektra release it on cd. I've never seen the back cover of this album. Very nice ! Thank you very much posting.

A Big Hug from Your Friend,

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Hope you find the album soon, it's a great album.

I also would like to see this reissued on CD.

Especially for you Gerald I have posted an enlarged picture of Mel & Nancy.

Enjoy.

For Gerald

The album is listed on Ebay. Here is the item number. Hope this helps my friend.

Item number: 2592650045

To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

Smile Dear Friend Lea.

Dear Friend Lea.

Thank you very much for the enlarged picture of Mel and Nancy, my Friend.

A Huge Hug and Best Wishes from Your Friend,

Gerald

Smile Dear Friend Danny.

Dear Friend Danny.

Thank you very much for the tip of Nancy and Mel's album on Ebay, my Friend. I went to the site and saw it. I'm not sure if I can buy an item of Ebay in Brazil. I never bought anything on Ebay. Also, I don't have credit card.

I will not give up searching for this album and crossing my fingers that Elektra have good sense and release it on cd.

A Huge Hug and Best Wishes from Your Friend,

Gerald

Gerald

If you like, I'll bid on it for you and we can work something out. Just let me know the highest you want to bid. You have my Email addy, so contact me there. This is a great album and you should have the pleasure of enjoying it! Let me know.
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

Smile Thank you very much Dear Friend Danny.

An to e-mail to you is on the way, my Friend.

A Huge Hug from Your Friend,

Gerald

I'm gonna purchase this album eventually. HOPEFULLY, though, it'll be reissued onto CD format. I really want to hear these songs done by Nancy and the father of Pam Tillis!! Hehe. I've seen at least (1) "Mel & Nancy" LP listed on eBay every time I look for it, so I take it it's not exactly that hard to come by.

Anyone have any comments about the songs on "Mel & Nancy"?

P.S. Good luck FANcy Dan and Gerald!

Comments

My personal favorite on this album is WHERE WOULD I BE. There are many songs that stick in your mind once you listen to them. UNDERGROUND RIVER is another gem as is AFTER THE LOVIN'

I played the album a couple of times again this week.

I like Play Me Or Trade Me, that's a good funny song.

Also like:
    Texas Cowboy Night
    It's A Far Cry From Over
    Cowboy Carry Me Home

This album followed Nancy's WOMAN album after almost eight years.
    Just wondering if any Nancy fans remember buying this when it was released back in 1981?
    How did you feel buying a new Nancy album for the first time in years?

I bet you were really excited just as we all are now waiting for the new "Nancy& Lee 3" album.

"Just wondering if any Nancy fans remember buying this when it was released back in 1981?"

Yes, I remember buying it and it was an incredible feeling to have new material. I remember "Texas Cowboy Night" being played on our local country and western radio station and it was so wonderful to hear Nancy back on the radio even if I had to listen to a country station.

The last time I'd heard a new Nancy song on a local station was "Kind of a Woman" and it only played a short time before it was banned.

I had the same feeling when "One More Time" came out but that one was very very frustrating. Nancy was appearing on TV promoting the album and every music store I checked told me that Nancy didn't have a new CD out. The distribution on that one was lacking, at least in my part of the country. It was a couple of months before I could actually get my hands on one.

The release of every Nancy album was (and still is) an event for me and I couldn't wait to get the latest one. Even in 1966 when we were in Nancy heaven and had several released the same year, it seemed like forever between new releases.

<<< The last time I'd heard a new Nancy song on a local station was "Kind of a Woman" and it only played a short time before it was banned. >>>

I never knew "Kind of a Woman" was banned.

Why?

Lea, I live in the most conservative, most Republican, most religious county in this country. I'm not exaggerating, it really is, there are statistics to prove it.

The predominate religion is ultra-conservative not only in its politics but also in its morality. There is a private religious university within the boundaries of the county which has what is called an "honor code" that dictates rules of morality for those attending the university.

When "Kind of a Woman" was released, the enrollment cap at the university was 25,000 in a town of 50,000, the radio station and the university were in the same town and the students made up almost half of the population.

In the early 1970's when the record was released, the lyrics were considered "too suggestive" by the moral majority. The radio station took a poll and asked its listeners if the song should continue to be played, the vote came up NO. So the song went by the wayside.

It wasn't banned nationally, it more than likely was not banned anywhere else in the world, just in good old Utah County.

It was not an unusual practice. Many of the songs of the sixties got the boot, so to speak, or were censored.

I don't know if you remember the folk song "Greenback Dollar" by the Kingston Trio. In Utah County the song went, "I don't give a bleep about a greenback dollar." The damn was bleeped out.

I don't remember ever hearing "Kind of a Woman" played on Salt Lake City (the capital city) stations, they were not then nor are they now Nancy Sinatra friendly. I think she was always considered a little on the moral fringe, the "Sugar" cover didn't help matters at all.

The sad thing was the management at the Provo station (in the university town) played her music quite a lot in the 60's so it was very disappointing when they stopped playing the song.

It wasn't easy being a Nancy Sinatra fan where I grew up, but it was worth it.

Buying the Album

I too can recall buying the album after hearing TEXAS COWBOY NIGHT on the radio. I was in heaven knowing I was getting new Nancy music!

It's that way whenever I get something new by her. I buy imports also. Some have the same track listing but I buy to have a copy of it anyway.

WOMAN was a good album but I don't think the promotion was there. If so, not where I lived at the time.

TRIVIA: The outfit Nancy is wearing on the back cover of MEL AND NANCY is the same one she has on for the publicity photos the fan club sent out in the early eighties. The red bugle beaded top...ALSO: The lavender shade dress she is wearing on the cover of WOMAN is the same one on the inside of the gatefold album THIS IS NANCY SINATRA.

20. << It wasn't easy being a Nancy Sinatra fan where I grew up, but it was worth it. >>

Thanks for sticking with me, Susan. If you hadn't, we would never have met and we wouldn't be friends and I don't want to THINK about THAT.