California Girl (2002)

California Girl CD front:

The Nancy Sinatra UK Fan Page
    http://www.movinwithnancy.fsnet.co.uk

CD back:

NANCY SINATRA - CALIFORNIA GIRL
    CD - BUENA VISTA RECORDS/BOOTS ENTERPRISES, INC. : DIS607537 : US (OUT OF PRINT)
    RELEASED: 30 APRIL 2002
    CD - BUENA VISTA RECORDS/BOOTS ENTERPRISES, INC. : DIS607537 : CANADA (OUT OF PRINT)
    RELEASED: 02 APRIL 2002
    DIGITAL ALBUM - BOOTS ENTERPRISES, INC. (WORLDWIDE)
    ALL TRACKS DIGITALLY REMASTERED
    RELEASED: 14 JANUARY 2008

PRODUCED BY (1, 2, 4, 5-8, 9, 10, 15) BILLY STRANGE; (3, 4, 9, 11-14) KEITH BARROWS AND NANCY SINATRA

CHARTS: HOW ARE THINGS IN CALIFORNIA #17 AC (1970)

Download from iTunes

Amazon mp3

1. HOW ARE THINGS IN CALIFORNIA?
    2. SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
    3. 99 MILES FROM LA
    4. CALIFORNIA GIRLS
    5. HELLO L.A., BYE-BYE BIRMINGHAM
    6. CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'
    7. ROUTE 66
    8. SAN FRANCISCO
    9. DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE?
    10. HOORAY FOR HOLLYWOOD
    11. SATURDAY IN THE PARK
    12. CALIFORNIA MAN
    13. HOTEL CALIFORNIA
    14. CUANDO CALIENTA EL SOL
    15. THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME

Question 99 MILES FROM LA

This is one of my all time favourite Nancy songs.

I would like to know more about this song.

When and where was it recorded?
    Was it recorded during Nancy's Private Stock years?
    Maybe it was recorded for an earlier Nancy album, but never made it?

Purchase California Girl at Amazon.
    Download NANCY SINATRA's latest album, SHIFTING GEARS, now!Download from iTunes Download this album from Amazon.

99 Miles, Cuando, Saturday in the Park, Hotel California and California Man were all recorded in LA specifically for the California Girl album late 2001.

Hi Susan,

I understood Nancy recorded five new songs for this CD, but I didn't know "99 Miles From L.A." was one of those.

In the sleeve notes it just says the following five songs were recorded especially for the album in 2001; Cuando, Saturday in the Park, Hotel California, California Man, and California Girls with Brian Wilson's newly recorded backing vocals.

Just thought maybe "99 Miles From L.A." was an older recording.

Talking

After a day of what appears to have been wailing and gnashing of teeth at the Forum, I imagine Nancy would like the Forum to be composed of "99 Mikes of L.A."

9. << "99 Mikes of L.A." >>

Very cute, Brad. The truth is I'd settle for the one and only but he seems to have deserted me too.

Lea, Nancy let me attend some of the recording sessions for 99 Miles, Saturday in the Park and Hotel California. I watched them lay down the initial instrument tracks. Nancy's final vocals were recorded later at another studio.

For someone like me who is completely uneducated in the recording process it was facinating and one of the greatest thrills of my life.

Susan,

That must have been a real cool experience, being with Nancy in the recording studio and hearing her songs being created and taking shape.

How did you feel listening to the finished product when It finally came out on CD?
    I guess you probably got to hear alternative takes on some of the songs.

"How did you feel listening to the finished product when It finally came out on CD?"

I can't describe how I felt, unbelieveable. I still get a chill when I hear those songs, listening to Don's keyboard, Gilby's guitar, Clem's drums, I pinch myself and say, "I was there!" And even though I wasn't there for the final vocals, I can still see Nancy standing behind the mike and I can still hear that wonderful voice and I still have a hard time believing it.

13. Susan

That is tremendous. I hope you have the chance to hear Nancy record many many more! chad
    chad
    "Come Home to NOLA"
    My email is: chadham6@msn.com

Hi Susan

That must have been some experience for you I would love to be at a recording session .Good for you & good luck as a moderator I know you will do a terrific job as Nancy can't do it all herself it's good she has you & Chad & forgive me I can't think of the other person, I know you will all do a terrific job. Good luck to you all.Edie(Red)

Thanks, Edie

Thumbs up Susan

You started me with "california Girl"

My favorite....

99 miles to L.A." Is so good that I can feel Nancy crying, driving to LA.

that particular song, effects me that way...
    Forever Frank ~ Forever Betty ~ Forever Dina ~ Forever Bobbysoxer

99 Miles

I think the song is one of the most powerful Nancy has ever recorded. Hearing it live is a thrill, as I did in NY and let me tell you, it blows you away!
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

Hi June, it is a terrific song, full of emotion.

The way they took newly recorded songs and previously recorded songs and made the album sound new and fresh is amazing. Beautifully done.

I drove up the California coastline with that album blaring on the cd player in the car and it was a magnificent experience. The California travel bureau should pick it up and use it in their visit California promotions.

I pulled into Carmel while Nancy was singing "Horray for Hollywood" with the Doris Day reference in the lyrics and of course I drove into San Francisco while she was singing about that great city.

While driving back south on I-5, I was hanging out the window (steering with my feet) hoping to get a picture of a 99 miles to LA sign. I snapped a picture of 100 miles to LA, close as I could get.

And thanks Lea for putting Nancy's albums on the site. Great job!

Susan

I would have enjoyed that ride along with you..

Lenny & I both because of your insistence, have had so much fun and pleasure just becoming a part of an audience of Nancy fans.

We even thought of going to Vegas when she performs there... That's how much we enjoy her voice style and band..

I owe that to you my friend.....
    Forever Frank ~ Forever Betty ~ Forever Dina ~ Forever Bobbysoxer

"I would have enjoyed that ride along with you"

I'm going back to California in April, come on along. We'll have a blast. We can hug a redwood together.

I'm glad you discovered Nancy's music. I'm already getting jealous that you'll be seeing her in Long Island.