Thread: Are there any Sinatra Fans from India?

Are there any Sinatra Fans from India?

Are there any Sinatra fans from Bombay, India?
    I am sure there would be some as Sinatra was very well loved in India.
    I have been a fan of Frank since my school days.
    I would love to chat with some of you from India. Please identify yourselves.

Firuza

Welcome Firuza

Hi Firuza,

I'm from the United States, and I wanted to welcome you to the Sinatra Family Forum. This is a wonderful group of people! I hope you will enjoy it here!

Firuza, I'm not from India and know only a couple of Indians, however, I have been there and just loved it. My husband was from Sri Lanka - a Buddhist; we met and lived in metropolitan Washington until my husband died suddenly in his early 40s. My son, then 11, and I moved to California to be near the rest of my family who had all migrated out here years ago.

I chose Savatri as my Buddhist name for this forum because I adopted it and because I thought it was so beautiful. A Buddhist monk named our son. My real name is Joan and I have found there are a lot of Joans on forums so I use Savatri (and Joan).

I don't know about other Indians on this forum, though I haven't noticed any Indian names. However, I am familiar enough with your 'ways' and how to 'interpret' possibly different meanings to your English, that I am sure I could understand however you express yourself. And I would welcome you with open arms.

Savatri
    (Joan)
    Joan
    "Don't be trapped by dogma which is living as the result of everyone else's thinking" - Steve Jobs

Thumbs up India! Wow!

Our international family is showing up all over the world!

I used to think I was stranded at the fartherest outpost of Sinatraland, but now our wwwebmaster is close by in Manila and you're manning the subcontinent.

A warm welcome!

Hi Firuza

Hello from Lowell, Massachusetts. We have an Indian population of 6,000 and growing!

Welcome to the site.

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard Firuza.
    You live in a very nice and respectable country.
    Your culture and traditions is an example for all over the world. Nowhere on Earth does humanity present itself in such a dizzying, creative burst of cultures and religions, races and tongues.

Very nice !!!
    S V Peluzio Jr

Firuza - (If you are still here.) Don't let S.V. Peluzio, Jr., deter you from joining this forum. LOL (Laughting out Loud). I don't know what the heck he is talking about - and his trying to welcome you to this forum is not be best way.

We have many different subjects Sinatra, of course, though other subjects on politics and war are very popular ones. I'm sure you don't want to get into non-Sinatra subjects (unless what S.V. was rambling on about) but even if you do, we have Friendly Chatter where one can talk about movie stars, humor, anything that comes into one's mind. So you can pick and choose what you might find interesting to you. So don't be scared away. Frankly, I would be.

If you'd like to e-mail me, you can do that and I'll be happy to talk with you.

Savatri
    (Joan)
    Look under the name Savatri in my profile under members at top of page and you'll find other information, including e-mail addresses.
    Joan
    "Don't be trapped by dogma which is living as the result of everyone else's thinking" - Steve Jobs

S.V. - I think you should take yourself out of the welcoming comittee. HA HA LOL LOL [PLACE SMILIE HERE]
    Can't get smilies, as you may have guessed.

Savatri
    Joan

Talking

Well, i agree with you Savatri.
    I wrote too much about politics.
    S V Peluzio Jr

Thank you, S.V. for your nice reply; I always expect the worse. This forum can be so pleasant now. I hope it continues that way, with my input too.

Savatri
    Joan

11. Talking Hi Firuza!

Welcome to the Frank Sinatra Forum! All the best, Paolo.
    Come Rain or Come Shine.....
    Paolo

12. Hello Firuza!

Welcome to our family.

I have some very dear friends from India and I LOVE Indian food! We have a nearby restaurant that delivers all kinds of wonderful dishes. And that garlic naan bread. YUMMY!

Do you cook?

While I hope everyone realises that Firuza has been here at the forum and posting for more than a year already, I re-state my being thrilled by the fact of in how many countries Sinatra music is cherished and treasured.

--

Hi Firuza,

there used to be a member from India here (Nickname "Goaroadster") a few years ago who introduced himself as being from Bombay, but he seems to be gone as he is no longer listed among the members in the alphabetical index.

My father has spent two years in India (mainly at Deccan College in Pune) in 1957-1959, and he says that there was a cinema in Pune in those days that while featuring Sinatra's new movies on their schedule, played a lot of Sinatra/Sinatra-type music at their lounge daily.

Bernhard.

International Sinatra Fans - Reply

Dear Friends & Sinatra lovers,

Thank you for all the replies, including the one from Nancy.
    Yes, Nancy, Indian food is tasty, with lots of garlic and is like Italian food which is very tasty too. I just love pasta & pizza and have it several times a week.

Yes, India has a wide & varied culture, and we enjoy Western music immensely.
    Bombay is a very cosmopolitan city, with not only Indians from all over India, but also people from many countries of the world living here.
    We often have many musical shows and we celebrate death anniversaries of Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, the Beatles etc. by having concerts here. That is why I was interested in knowing if there were any Sinatra fans from Bombay, India.
    It is true what BVO mentioned. Ihave been a member in this Forum since the past yeat, but was not active since some months. I hope now to actively participate in all the topics of discussion.
    I am at present making a power point presentation on Frank - His life & his work.
    Thanks for all the replies & messages sent,

Firuza

****I am at present making a power point presentation on Frank - His life & his work. ****

That sounds very interesting, Firuza! Maybe you would like to share with us some of the things you are incorporating? It would be nice to have an idea of your presentation. Good luck for it!

Bernhard.

Smile Welcome

Hi Firuza, A pleasure to meet you and welcome to the Sinatra Family. As you see we have members from many countries, but we are oe big family who all love Francis Albert Sinatra. Look forward to more posts from you.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

17. Sinatra in India

I'm reading "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa Yogananda and it got me to wondering last night if Sinatra ever played India and/or what the fan community is there and if his music has had any impact. Also for China. I guess with China being more culturally closed during much of the 20th century that he might not have many fans there.

I found this old thread and thought I'd resurrect it to see if anyone has any insight on the subject of Sinatra and countries that we may not think of as being disposed to Western popular music.

What about Russia for that matter?
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."

18. There were several countries Dad wanted to visit and never did. It's a shame, really, because I'd bet my last dollar there are people in those countries who would have loved to see him perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Silverman View Post
    What about Russia for that matter?
    I can't exactly pinpoint the program that I have somewhere in my collection, but Sinatra tells the interviewer that "he would love to perform in the (then) Soviet Union." He further states that "he was told by someone who had been inside Russia, that his records were definitely played there." He was certain that he had to have some fans behind the Iron Curtain.

I'll do some digging to research further, and see if I can locate the exact disc on which Frank's exact quote appears.
    Sicilia forever
    "Living Well Is The Best Revenge"

20. Interesting. I'm sure he had to have fans in India and other places like that. He really could have been an ambassador for peace and bringing the world together by playing these places. It's too bad it didn't happen. Music binds us all together. It's universal.
    "...and stars fractured 'bama last night."