Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Very British Television Thread

A Very British Television Thread

(although colonials are most welcome)

From Germany

I wanted to start up in here as the International forum was looking a little thin these days, my reasoning is there seem to be more and more posters lately from "Ol' Blighty" we got our regulars of course, Bazza, Duncan, Tony, Pete, Karyn, Alison, Simon, Jeffrey, Paul, Lea, Leanne and that Adam chap too (our very own Dot & Jim), but we have newer members from the Sceptred Isle too including Jen & another Peter, if I missed anyone I humbly apologise.

So the reasoning? A place to discuss our own cultural references that may not really translate elsewhere, to ask & answer those all important questions, was Blue Peter the greatest kids show of all time?, who actually wanted a Crackerjack Pencil?, Who actually thought Ant & Dec would make good TV?, what will be the BBCs next 100 Greatest Series? Why do we make the funniest comedy shows in the world?, Did Martin Shaw have the greatest TV cop hairdo ever?, Is Muffin The Mule really an illegal act?, Were there really sexual references in Captain Pugwash?, How did Windy Miller get his name?, How does Judy put up with Richard and how old is Carol Vordermann?
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

2. Thumbs up Excellent Idea Marty!

First off, may I say that I never gave Martin Shaw a second look back in the days of the "Professionals" but he certainly made a very sexy judge! Secondly, I desperately wanted a Crackerjack pencil more than anything else in the world (I still wouldn't say no!). As for Captain Pugwash - what can I say

British comedy is just excellent - we had the genius of comedians such as Peter Sellers, Dudley Moore, Tommy Cooper, Les Dawson, The Goons, Monty Python ("Life of Brian" is just brilliant), John Cleese (Fawlty Towers), Ronnie Barker (although still around is in retirement, but hopefully going to do some more), David Jason et al in "Only Fools and Horses", "Keeping Up Appearances", Patricia Routledge is a natural comedian, her facial expressions are a hoot, "Vicar of Dibley", of course the great "Ab Fab", "Thin Blue Line" "Blackadder" - the list is endless. I think these are matched on the other side of the Pond by "Frasier" and "Cheers", "Friends" and "Will and Grace" were excellent too.

For my part, I would love to see the end of reality TV, (ok I watched "The Salon" every now and again, but that was lust!) and a return should be made to making more good dramas like "Inspector Morse" etc.
    Karyn

Re: Excellent Idea Marty!

Originally posted by KarynT
    Patricia Routledge is a natural comedian
    She's bound to be Karyn, a Merseyside girl, born just round the corner from where me mam lives. Speaking of which as was Martin Shaw's partner Lewis Collins, that's why I first used to watch The Professionals (another Martin & Lewis, of course my name, but no i'm not the news reader...either of em.)

4. Re: Re: Excellent Idea Marty!

Originally posted by MerseyRat
    She's bound to be Karyn, a Merseyside girl,
    I never knew that! She is a gem, 75 ish years old and still going strong! Wonderful actress, I had the pleasure of seeing her on stage and she had so much energy.
    Karyn

Why do we make the funniest comedy shows in the world?
    I think, simply because we are very good at taking the piss out of ourselves and our inherent British-ness.

It's not just the old school comedians either, look at Jack Dee, Ross Noble and my personal favourite - Frank Skinner. He is one of the few comedians who can make me laugh out loud, and he has successfully established himself as a great chat show host. I was pleased to see him placed 5th in Channel 4's Top Living British Comedians on Saturday.
    Alan

"How did all these people get in my room?"

6. Thumbs up Alan

No it's not just the old school comedians, as well as those you mention (although I don't know Ross Noble), we can't forget Ricky Gervais!
    Karyn

Tommy Cooper

Was the comedy guv' nor in my opinion.
    Maybe I'm the old school now?.
    I had a letter from Ronnie Corbett the other month
    after I sent him my poetry booklet.
    He had moved from his old house...not too far away...
    in Addigton Village, south of Croydon.
    He had a big old house next to a golf course ( Naturally)
    The two Ronnies were great in their day, also, I reckon.
    great scripts.
    I enjoyed Ronnie Barker more than I did Ronnie Corbett
    I have to confess.
    There u go.
    ( A hell of a storm hit us last night in Rye Harbour)
    Then the Sun came out today.
    That's your England 4 u.
    Cheers fellow muckers!
    Bazza.
    ( Just settling in to the new house)

Great thread Marty

I think it was Karyn who mentioned Crackerjack further up the thread? Well I was in Waterstones earlier today and I saw an autobiography of................................................ ..............

THE KRANKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG The Krankies!!!!

Now heres a question. Were the ever funny/ I mean even as a kid I didnt find them amusing.

Simon

kids programmes

hi all

not only have we had/have some fantastic comedians, what about kids programes from years gone by. to name but a few classics

The Clangers [star of the show - the soup dragon]

Take Hart [who knew anybody that age that could draw that well?]

Multicoloured Swapshap [roller skates for a xylophone anyone?]

Jim'll fix it [who can forget the cubs/boy scouts eating their lunch on the roller coaster]

ee to be young and foolish again....oh ok.....young again

Alison

Hi Alison
    I remember " Jim..ll'..fix it"!
    ( Can't do the warble though!)
    Bazza.

11. Thumbs up Scouts eating their lunch on a rollercoaster!

Yes I remember that! Classic Jim'll Fix It! I wrote in a few times asking to meet Elvis, didn't get anywhere though!

The Krankies - funnily enough they were on GMTV, they are still performing their act and are appearing in panto at Christmas, can't remember where.

Tommy Cooper - I saw the play of his life starring Jerome Flynn, it was called, appropriately, "Just Like That", it was brilliant, Jerome Flynn was superb, he even did Tommy's magic tricks and had Tommy down to a tee. It was funny and sad, Tommy was an alcoholic and that was sad to witness. Excellent stuff though. Tommy Cooper only had to walk on stage and everyone would laugh. The other person to do that was Eric Morcombe.

Do you remember "Animal Magic" with Johnny Morris? Or Daktari with Clarence the cross eyed lion and Chee Chee (I think) the chimp? They don't make 'em like that anymore

Also, "The Magic Roundabout" - that has come into some question lately, it's supposed to have had sublte (?) reference to drug use - well, the rabbit was definitely on something
    Karyn

My favorite British comedian has to be Bennie Hill. Wonderful talent, very versatile, and warmly self-deprecating. I had the pleasure of meeting him on a flight from London to NY. He was on his way to judge a beauty pageant in Florida... wonder of wonders.

An old sci-fi favorite of mine was Dr. Who, especially the run with Tom Baker.

Pack a small bag....

Re: kids programmes

Originally posted by alison
    Jim'll fix it [who can forget the cubs/boy scouts eating their lunch on the roller coaster]

ee to be young and foolish again....oh ok.....young again
    An anecdote on Sir Jimmy,

upon a tour of the palace that is the BBC in White City we came upon a recording for a Jim'll Fix It special, and Lord Saville spent all morning shouting at some poor girl who kept fluffing the lines of a letter, the crew despised him, his producer despised him and the waitresses in the top floor BBC restaurants could not abide him.

Dr Who (I spoke to Two). I met Tom Baker on a train and he helped me with the Guardian crossword (and he speaks like that in real life too)
    And Jon Pertwee (the scouse Dr Who) I had the real pleasure to meet, just before his untimely demise, whilst working on a video at the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool, he spent an hour with all of us in the workers unit on Hardman Street slagging Mrs T off to beat the band.

Multi Coloured Swap Shop, one of the stars the Great Keith Chegwin (my first girlfriend kissed him on Cheggars Plays Pop) the moment I always remember about Cheggars was when he was working for the Big Breakfast and he got himself on John Noakes (The God Of BP) boat and John who had no knowledge of Keith's alchohol problems offered him a scotch, classic.

I think the public make great television. BBC Three's CCTV is so funny. This is where they only use public CCTV systems to try to get people to take part in a game show. Every game is different, and the contestant has to do it there and then. But how many people would do what they were told by a disembodied voice coming from a CCTV camera?

I love comedies like Rab C Nesbit. People say his strong Glaswegian accent is to thick to understand what he's saying, along with the fact he's often too drunk, and his diction is terrible anyway. But I say we are not supposed to hear every word, and it's more important to understand what he feels, rather than what he is saying. But he comes out with some wonderful stuff in amongst all that drunken rambling.

Doctor Who? Isn't one of the Doctors now starring in that Scottish series, Monarch of the Glen? I think so.

I've heard of the Goons, they are kind of weird. But very funny. And I love Monty Python's Flying Circus (<<<<<HUUUUUUGE fan ). I love the way they just stop a sketch for no reason. And the gas men in brown coats from a previous sketch are shown queuing around the block to service a boiler in a house, and that is from an earlier sketch, but at the start of the Silly Walks sketch. That must have taken some doing.

I love whacky stuff.
    ..... Leanne

<<< Doctor Who? Isn't one of the Doctors now starring in that Scottish series, Monarch of the Glen? I think so. >>>

Yes, Leanne.

Tom Baker, the 4th and most popular Doctor Who.
    The Nancy Sinatra UK Fan Page
    http://www.movinwithnancy.fsnet.co.uk

16. Thumbs up Rab C Nesbitt

hilarious, I love the guy who plays him - can't recall his name at the moment.

Jimmy Saville spent alot of time at Royal Marine Commando Training Camp here at Lympstone. Apparently he wasn't liked there much.

I love the whacky humour of Monty Python too Leanne
    Karyn

Gregor Fisher, I think Karyn, (see you still have that T) He ws Bill Nighy's manager in Love Actually too and was trained classically too, one of his early film roles had him alongside Richard Burton & John Hurt (wasn't he brilliant as Alan Clarke by the way)

Yes I believe that was George Orwell's 1984 Marty.

Simon

1984 indeed

wasn't he also the baldy Man in the Hamlet TV ads?

On the subject of kids TV; does anyone rmember the absolute anarchy that was Tiswas?

Marty, yes he was the baldy man. Very amusing! and what a comb over!

Tiswas, now that was funny!

The Phantom Flan Flinger and Bob Carolgees with Spit the Dog!

Bob actually auctioned off one of the original Spit puppets on ebay last year. Think he got about 1500 if my memory serves me correctly. Replicas of the puppet from the eighties are often on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Bob owns a shop in Cheshire somewhere, I think selling candles. Apparently he isn't very keen on being recognised as being the owner of Spit the Dog.

Simon