Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Harry Connick Jr.

1. Check your local PBS TV schedules and set your DVRs for a 90-minute Great Performances show this week featuring Harry Connick Jr.'s Broadway concert:

The program ties in with the release tomorrow of new Connick CD, DVD, CD+DVD, and Blu-ray releases:

Thanks for the heads up, Bob!
    WNEW..Where The Melody Lingers On..

I hadn't seen your post Bob. By chance, I happened to be home last night and checked out PBS and was thrilled to see that Harry Connick, Jr. was on.
    It was a fantastic concert. He is getting even better all the time.
    Grace and Lauren

4. Harry has also been making the rounds of the morning talk shows this week. For those in my area, I notice he'll be performing at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods in April.

5. Saw parts of it last night on PBS, great show!
    Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8

It started off a little slow, but ended with a New Orlean blast! I`m "Just Wild About Harry!"
    WNEW..Where The Melody Lingers On..

7. I'm mad I missed it on TV the other night. But glad I finally got to see him live last year.

Connick, jr.

I've been hard on Michael Buble in other posts, but I was listening to "Cry Me A River" last night and Michael does have
    God-given talent. It's just that his voice doesn't have the same effect on me as Sinatra's. I don't know why. It just is. Mr. Connick was also blessed by God-given talent, which showed itself when he was very young. (I think musical talent is genetic-- Harry's father is a great musician). And he was given three talents--piano playing, music arranging and singing. I have some of his arrangements and they're so complex, I can't play them. And he's a master of his very good voice. I'm sorry I missed his special.
    Melvin

This is going to be an "unusual" post...bear with me. Eunice and I saw Harry Connick, Jr. Friday night at Tanglewood. He was fabulous! He did two hours, no intermission, standards, blues, New Orleans Funk, gospel, played three instruments, told wonderful stories; a real "haimische" performance; superb musicians backing him (not the BSO or the Pops--his own band); their solos were extraordinary! You wanted to wrap him up and bring him home!

About a half hour into the concert, I leaned over and said to Eunice, "BOBBY DARIN LIVES! Harry Connick, Jr. is the reincarnation of Bobby Darin!" And my Beautiful Bride of nearly 48 years, whispered back, "I was going to say the same thing (obviously not the same words I used, but you get the point)!" We proceeded to watch the rest of the concert...and about three more times, we nodded & smiled a "That's Bobby nod & smile" at each other! And after Harry's encores (which included a rockem, sockem salute to New Orleans), Eunice turned to me and said, "I thought he was going to close with 'Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey." And I replied (and trust me, I'm not making this up), "I was hoping he'd close with 'Bill Bailey' or 'Mack The Knife'"

There was no full moon in the Tanglewood sky on Friday...Harry Connick, Jr. was terrific...and BOBBY DARIN LIVED!
    Stanley

I've seen Harry in concert with his Big Band. It was a Christmas concert and we really enjoyed it. If you have an opportunity to see him in a similar setting, I'd highly recommend it.

Has anyone checked out Harry's new daytime talk show? I've been recording it because it's on while I'm at work and I think it's great. He occasionally sings and has celebrity guests, of course, but the show is informal, with lots of audience interaction. It really showcases his sweet personality and smooth southern charm.
    Id rather regret the things I did than the things I did not do. ~ Francis Albert Sinatra

12. Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    Has anyone checked out Harry's new daytime talk show?
    I didn't know about it, but I'll be watching/recording starting today. Took some searching to find the station. Here in Boston, it's on an obscure non-network channel at night (9 pm). Thanks, Dina.

Bob.

I saw Harry in concert last night at the Wharton Center for Performing Arts in East Lansing. Needless to say, he is a fantastic entertainer but, the breadth of his talent always amazes me. During the 2 hour show, he sang and played songs from literally every genre imaginable. From Dixieland jazz, funk rock, and blues, to standards (including Christmas songs) and gospel, Harry and his terrific 12 piece band covered it all.

Harry is, of course, a virtuoso pianist but, did you know hes also a talented trumpet player? Louis Armstrong is his musical hero and the set list included a small tribute to the jazz icon. As if, that wasnt enough talent for one man, he even showed off his tap dancing skills with band member and dancer Luke Hawkins.

I adore Harry, not just for his good looks and talents, but because hes truly a kind, compassionate family man who loves his wife and daughters above all else. I wish there were more entertainers like him today.
    Id rather regret the things I did than the things I did not do. ~ Francis Albert Sinatra

14. Harry is probably the finest musician in the pop world today. He is a great arranger too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I saw Harry in concert last night at the Wharton Center for Performing Arts in East Lansing. Needless to say, he is a fantastic entertainer but, the breadth of his talent always amazes me. During the 2 hour show, he sang and played songs from literally every genre imaginable. From Dixieland jazz, funk rock, and blues, to standards (including Christmas songs) and gospel, Harry and his terrific 12 piece band covered it all.

Harry is, of course, a virtuoso pianist but, did you know hes also a talented trumpet player? Louis Armstrong is his musical hero and the set list included a small tribute to the jazz icon. As if, that wasnt enough talent for one man, he even showed off his tap dancing skills with band member and dancer Luke Hawkins.

I adore Harry, not just for his good looks and talents, but because hes truly a kind, compassionate family man who loves his wife and daughters above all else. I wish there were more entertainers like him today.
    Harry was in London recently, and sadly I couldn't get a seat. I saw him about 18 years ago, and had to leave after two and a half hours in order to catch the last train home - my understanding is that it carried on for another ninety minutes beyond that!

I've been very disappointed by his albums of the last ten to fifteen years, as he has (in the studio at least) left behind the wonderful jazz and big band material that he does so well, and appears to have exchanged it for a rather bland middle-of-the-road feel which seems so completely at odds with the excitement of his early music. The Smokey Mary album from 2013 showed that he was still interested in the funky jazz that he had brought us on She and Star Turtle, and that he could still do that well, but even then it seemed half-hearted as some tracks were actually from the mid-1990s and included to bring the CD up to a respectable length.

The current New Orleans tour has had superb reviews, and I really hope that it is a sign that he is ready to make some new big band or jazz music. It's odd that, from the reviews I've seen (and the On Broadway DVD) that his live shows don't seem to reflect what he is doing in the studio these days, and still are a mix of jazz, funk etc.

As for the instruments he plays, on the Star Turtle album is credited for vocals, piano, fender rhodes, electric bass, acoustic bass, drums, electric and acoustic guitars, tuba, trombone, tenor saxophone, trumpet, congas, clarinet, and mini-moog!
    Last edited by shanebrown; 12-01-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I adore Harry, not just for his good looks and talents, but because he’s truly a kind, compassionate family man who loves his wife and daughters above all else. I wish there were more entertainers like him today.
    My sister once was an office manager for a pediatric practice in an affluent Connecticut community many years ago. Harry and his wife frequented this office with his daughters. He often accompanied them on their visits. And my sister always remarked about the great impression he left on her and the other staff.

Larry