5. The Gypsy
    6. Roses of Picardy
    7. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
    8. A Garden in the Rain
    9. London by Night
    10. We'll Meet Again
    11. I'll Follow My Secret Heart

all tracks arranged and conducted by Robert Farnon

track 6 is a bonus track not on original release.

Subject to Reprise releases as well as a UMG re-sissue.
    Last edited by Robert; 07-17-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Pedro

When was this album first released in Great Britain? To the best of my knowledge it seems to have come out in 1965, three years after it was recorded. Sometime in the '70s it was re-released, again in Europe only, as "Sinatra In London." It finally saw American release, with "Roses Of Picardy" added as a bonus track, in 1992.

Anyone have any more or different information?

PJ

PJ: Mono Lp came out in UK in 1962. Stereo version came later. Most people did not find out here about Lp until 1965 when discographies were in Sinatra Report in special Billboard issue and Ric Ross discography in booklet in Man & His Music 2Lp set commemorating Sinatra's 50th birthday.

Hi PJ,

the album came out in the UK in November 1962. Accompanying its release, there was a BBC Radio special (broadcast at prime time on October 21, 1962) called "Frank Sinatra personally presents Great Songs From Great Britain". This great special contained spoken introductions and reflections by Sinatra on each song (minus Roses Of Picardy which was not released).

1965 saw a German (Reprise) and Dutch (Reprise/Funckler) release of the (stereo) LP. The Italy release "Sinatra In London" (Reprise) followed in 1970. These releases partly featured alternate takes compared to the 1962 British release.

You (and everyone else interested in this album, for that matter) may find some information at Sinatra Music Society's homepage at
    www.sinatra-ms.com/articles.shtml ,
    click on the link "London 1962".

Bernhard.

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN

0414 The Very Thought of You
    0423 We'll Gather Lilacs in the Spring
    0413 If I Had You
    0422 Now Is the Hour
    0418 The Gypsy
    0419 Roses of Picardy
    0420 A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square
    0416 A Garden in the Rain
    0417 London by Night
    0421 We'll Meet Again
    0415 I'll Follow My Secret Heart

Here's a link for more information / discussion / reviews from older threads for:

GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4610

While it may be argued that Frank was not in the best of voice on this album, due to his extremely exhaustive world tour, I still love this album. The choice of songs are terrific, as well as the arrangements.

If I Had You; The Very Thought of You; A Garden In The Rain, etc., these are all wonderful songs. And they're certainly not the easiest songs in the world to sing.

Dennis

FIRST GB STEREO RELEASE

Does any body know when the first British Stereo release was issued ?
    Thanks.

Anybody know if there's plans to rerelease this in the States?

John, this album was released on CD a few years ago. I assume it's still available in stores. It also comprises the Reprise suitcase set. (20 Cds)

Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain

Speaking of this album, while I only have a few favourites from this one, London By Night is most enchanting for me.
    That's the way the cookie crumbles
    Yvonne

I did a quick internet search on this one, and only found copies for sale as expensive imports... I can't say I ever remember seeing it stores here, but I must be mistaken... I'll start lookin'...

John, I had purchased this CD in a NY store a few years ago when it came out. Reprise must have deleted this from their catalogue. I'm surprised.

Initial USA release 1993 and has since been deleted.However,still available in Europe.

John, since it's only available in Europe, maybe you can purchase it from Amazon UK.

The Very Thought of You

On my morning commute to the office this morning I happened to hear Frank's "The Very Thought of You" from the Great Songs... recording on the radio. What a fabulous tune to begin the day! Sure hope I can purchase this CD somewhere!

Tom29

French edition

In addition to German, Dutch, Italian, etc, editions of Great Songs from Great Britain, there is also a French issue of the album.

Ed S.

19. Great Songs From Great Britain

Incredible that this LP was recorded in three days in June 1962. Imagine that. I am listening to Roses of Picardy, and I am stunned Frank wanted to exclude this track on the lp. Thank God its on the Reprise Compact Disc 9-45219-2. This Cd is truly amazing. I love this Lp so much. The renditions of "If I had You","The Very Thought of You", "A Nightingale Saning in Berkeley Square","London by Night"...Frank sings so sincerely its like he is standing in my living room singing in from of me. ( it also helps to crank the Bose speakers).

I'll tell you what ..it just doesnt get much better for me. Paradise is listening to Frank sing, drinking some wine & smoking a fine cognac cigar on a nice fall night............priceless.

Domenic
    "You gotta love livin, Cuz dyin's a pain in the a**" - Francis Albert Sinatra.

Sinatra Sings Great Songs From Great Britain

Domenico,

I also feel that Frank is always singing to me. I feel that way with every song that he sings. I love all of the songs from this album, especially A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square, London By Night and We'll Meet Again.