Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: THE COMPLETE CAPITOL SINGLES COLLECTION 1996 

Thumbs up THE COMPLETE CAPITOL SINGLES COLLECTION 1996

Capitol 4 CD Boxset with book. Mostly non-album material, in Stereo and Mono.

There is no "complete" Boxset / Collection of Frank Sinatra's CAPITOL recordings, but all major collections are linked for cross-reference. They are:

THE CAPITOL YEARS UK 21-CD Boxset (1998)
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15202

THE COMPLETE CAPITOL SINGLES COLLECTION (1996)
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17978

CAPITOL CONCEPTS US 16-CD Boxset (2000)
    https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28569

All arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle, with the following exceptions:

+ arr Heinie Beau, cond Axel Stordahl
    * arr Dick Reynolds, cond Ray Anthony
    XX arr Dave Cavanaugh
    ** cond Johnny Green w/ MGM Studio Orchestra
    << arr, cond Gordon Jenkins
    >> arr, cond Billy May

DISC 1
    1. Lean Baby +
    2. I'm Walking Behind You +
    3. I've Got The World On A String
    4. My One & Only Love
    5. Anytime, Anywhere
    6. From Here To Eternity
    7. I Love You
    8. South Of The Border
    9. Take A Chance
    10. Young At Heart
    11. Don't Worry 'Bout Me
    12. I Could Have Told You
    13. Rain (Falling From The Skies)
    14. Three Coins In The Fountain
    15. The Gal That Got Away
    16. Half As Lovely (Twice As True)
    17. It Worries Me
    18. When I Stop Loving You
    19. White Christmas
    20. The Christmas Waltz
    21. Someone To Watch Over Me
    22. You, My Love

DISC 2
    1. Melody Of Love *
    2. I'm Gonna Live Till I Die *
    3. Why Should I Cry Over You?
    4. Don't Change Your Mind About Me
    5. Two Hearts, Two Kisses (Make One Love) XX
    6. From The Bottom To The Top XX
    7. If I Had Three Wishes XX
    8. Learnin' The Blues
    9. Not As A Stranger
    10. How Could You Do A Thing Like That To Me? XX
    11. Same Old Saturday Night
    12. Fairy Tale
    13. Love & Marriage
    14. Impatient Years
    15. (Love Is) The Tender Trap
    16. Weep They Will
    17. You'll Get Yours
    18. Flowers Mean Forgiveness
    19. (How Little It Matters) How Little We Know
    20. Five Hundred Guys
    21. Johnny Concho Theme (Wait For Me)
    22. You're Sensational
    23. Well Did You Evah? **

DISC 3
    1. Mind If I Make Love To You? **
    2. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? **
    3. You Forgot All The Words (While I Still Remember The Tune)
    4. Hey! Jealous Lover
    5. Your Love For Me
    6. Can I Steal A Little Love?
    7. So Long, My Love
    8. Crazy Love
    9. Something Wonderful Happens In Summer
    10. You're Cheatin' Yourself (If You're Cheatin' On Me)
    11. All The Way
    12. Chicago
    13. Witchcraft
    14. Tell Her You Love Her
    15. The Christmas Waltz <<
    16. Mistletoe & Holly <<
    17. Nothing In Common >>
    18. How Are Ya' Fixed For Love? >>
    19. The Same Old Song & Dance >>
    20. Monique
    21. Mr. Success
    22. Sleep Warm
    23. No One Ever Tells You
    24. To Love & To Be Loved

DISC 4
    1. Time After Time
    2. French Foreign Legion
    3. All My Tomorrows
    4. High Hopes
    5. They Came To Cordura
    6. Talk To Me
    7. River, Stay 'Way From My Door
    8. It's Over, It's Over, It's Over
    9. This Was My Love
    10. Nice 'N' Easy
    11. You'll Always Be The One I Love
    12. Ol' MacDonald
    13. My Blue Heaven
    14. Sentimental Baby
    15. Sentimental Journey >>
    16. American Beauty Rose >>
    17. The Moon Was Yellow
    18. I've Heard That Song Before >>
    19. Five Minutes More >>
    20. I'll Remember April +
    21. I Love Paris
    22. Hidden Persuasion
    plus previously unreleased bonus tracks:
    23. Ya Better Stop
    24. The Sea Song
    25. Look To Your Heart
    26. I Believe
    27. Love Looks So Well On You

With a few exceptions, Frank Sinatra's Capitol singles were not lifted from albums, but recorded with the Top 40 and juke boxes in mind and were often songs from films.

12 FS mainly-singles were collected for:
    THIS IS SINATRA! 1956 Capitol LP

A further 16 appeared on:
    THIS IS SINATRA VOLUME 2" 1958 Capitol LP

Complete track listings for these LPs on THE COMPLETE CAPITOL YEARS UK 21-CD BOXSET at:

All tracks from these 2 LPs - with the exception of "If You Are But A Dream" and "Everybody Loves Somebody"are included in "The Complete Capitol Singles Collection" .

Both volumes of THIS IS SINATRA - plus 12 additional tracks - were released on (currently unavailable) EMI-UK CD

THIS IS FRANK SINATRA 1953 - 1957 Music For Pleasure 2XCD Set

Additionally, 3 pick-up LPs of singles etc were issued by Capitol.
    None have been released as individual CDs, but all tracks from:

LOOK TO YOUR HEART 1959 Capitol LP

ALL THE WAY 1961 Capitol LP

FRANK SINATRA SINGS OF LOVE...AND THINGS 1962 Capitol LP ++

are on "The Complete Capitol Singles Collection" - with the exception of "The Nearness Of You" and "I Got A Right To Sing The Blues" from LP++

As with THIS IS SINATRA! & THIS IS SINATRA VOL 2, track listings for these 3 LPs are on THE CAPITOL YEARS UK 21-CD BOXSET at:

This is a wonderful collection of songs. In most cases, I found the sound quality excellent. I personally refer to these songs as Frank's bread & butter songs. Many of these songs became associated with Frank right into the 90s.

I remember as a kid going into the lunchonette with my parents & hearing many of these songs playing on the jukebox.

I think if you lived on Mars and you never heard Frank sing, these songs would probably be the best introduction into his music.

Even today, when I want to hear the lighter-hearted Frank, I will play this single collection. Sometimes, you're just not up to hearing Only The Lonely or Close To You.

Dennis

I like this set because it collects so much hard to find material in one place, and because the remastering is superb (check out "I've Got The World On A String" and compare it to any previously released version). But it makes for very uneven listening as a whole, because Sinatra's singles didn't have the same quality control that his albums had. For every "All The Way" or "The Tender Trap," there's another couple of tracks that are middling and forgettable. So while I listen to certain tracks frequently, I rarely play a whole disc all the way through. Still a must-have for any serious Sinatra fan, though!

PJ

Cool Yes, PJ

You've hit on a major incongruity of FS' recording carreer: this collection should be the ultimate "Greatest Hits" package, but it isn't.

We take it for granted that an artist's greatest hits are the A-side singles, but time has elevated album tracks like "I Get A Kick Out Of You" and "Fly Me To The Moon" to a such status that some of the "hits" sound a little ordinary by comparison.

Extraordinary, when you think about it: Frank Sinatra was defining the album-as-entity a couple of decades before it became standard practice. Doubly so, when out-of-context album tracks develop a life far beyond catchier singles which sold extremely well.

And just to make it a bit more baffling, THE COMPLETE CAPITOL SINGLES COLLECTION essentially expands five very successful compilation albums!

While there may be some songs that are definitely better than others, I really find all these songs a joy to listen to. I think if any other singer recorded half the amount of the songs that are on this 4 CD package and those songs were half as good, I think people would still be making a big fuss over them. But I guess because it's Frank, he is probably held to a much higher standard than any other singer.

Dennis

Singles remastering

When an album is remastered, more often than not, the second generation album stereo mix-down is used. This is not always the case- Sinatra's Capitol albums that were remastered for CD by Larry Walsh used the first generation tapes, although, when Bob Norberg remastered the same records years later, he used the mix-downs. My question is this- When a single is remastered are the first generation tapes used? Yes, they did appear on albums, which makes them part of an LP, but a lot of them didn't. So does the guy remastering just say, "I might as well go back to the first generation source of each one instead of monkeying around with both album masters and single masters." Did Norberg use the primo tapes in the case of The Singles Collection?

Special Place In My Heart

Frank's singles have a real special place in my heart. These songs are probably the earliest exposure that I had to Frank's music. Growing up in the Bronx, Sinatra country, these songs were always playing on the jukebox. These songs are sung just so beautifully. When I listen to them now, they sound like they were recorded yesterday. Still has such a fresh sound. I love em all.

I'm still pissed that they were widened. If I see any more Bob Norberg remastered Sinatra or anyone else I like remastered by that dummy I'm not buying it.

Bob Norberg

I'm ignorant on this, but which singles did he re-master? And what does widening mean?

Widening

Denny, I'm not an audio expert but I have learned a few things vis a vis MMM (Martin) on this forum and widening is one of those things I picked up on. Last winter I posted a question as to why when I record some mono CDs onto a cassette the VU meters are not in synch with each other, whereas they should be because it's supposedely the same input. Martin responded and informed me that some engineers, when remastering a mono source, will try to give it a spacious, fake stereo sound by reversing the EQ on the left and right channels. Now left and right sound different. It's unpleasent because it just doesn't sound real, and it's stupid; instruments will, although very subtlety, go from right to left depending on the frequency they're hitting. In other words, if the left is muting anything over a certain level and maxing anything on another level of frequency and the right is doing the opposite, the sound will find a home in either speaker it's allowed through. This is only my theory, so Martin, feel most free to correct me.

15. "Pseudo" stereo

Interesting discussion, and one that bears just a bit of clarification.

A pure monophonic signal should sound as though it's coming straight down the middle of two stereo speakers. If one were listening with headphones, the sound would be like a tunnel, i. e. "dead center" instead of spilling into the extreme right or left, as it would for stereo.

In the 1960s, the record labels feared that consumers - now smitten with "stereo" - would consider older monophonic recordings to be inferior, and they developed artificial methods of "rechanneling" the monophonic signal to mimic stereo. Capitol had their infamous "Duophonic" process; Columbia simply touted theirs with a banner stating "Re-channeled for Stereo." These processes basically took the mono signal, split it in two, and then purposely put one channel out of phase. Reverb was added, and the EQ for each channel was altered, ostensibly to give the sound an artifical stereo depth. Needless to say, it was a horrendous (if not admirable) stab at keeping "obsolete" recordings in the catalog.

One would think that by the mid 1980s - at the dawn of the "audiophile" digital era - that engineers and labels would shun such contrived technical practices. Most did. But, at Capitol, they allowed some engineers (Bob Norberg in particular) to interpret what the sound of the CDs should be. In the hands of a purist like Larry Walsh, the recordings were remastered with integrity.

Norberg, though, purposely used an oscilloscope to monitor the pure mono signal, and "widened" it by spreading it a bit to the left and right. While he did not tamper with it to the point of the old "Duophonic" process, he tampered with it enough that it lost the pure clarity of the original mono signal. The result was a slight diffussing of the sound.

It is correct that if you play one of these altered mono CDs and look at the signal through a pair of VU meters, the meters will bounce independently of each other, because the signal strength has been altered and spread. If the mono signal were left in its pure state, the meters would maintain perfect balance.

The best way to hear what I am describing is to listen to a known mono recording through headphones, and then compare one of the contrived Norberg recordings to that. You'll immediately hear - and appreciate - how badly the tampered recordings sound in comparison to the mono originals.

I was dismayed to hear that even later Lee Herschberg altered several of the mono tracks on "Love Songs" to match the majority of the stereo tracks. It is unforgivable for this to happen at this late stage in the digital/audiophile era.

Chuck Granata
    BONX!

16. P. S. re "Pseudo-stereo"

It bears mention that I know about Norberg's process first-hand: he described it to me during a telephone conversation many years ago, and seemed very pleased to be "enhancing" the recordings in this way. I, of course, disagreed.

The blame, in large part, goes to the record labels themselves. At Capitol, there is no "reissue producer" guiding these projects. The administrators who run the reissue division simply assign an engineer to the project, and acept whatever the engineer returns as a "master." This is dangerous.

At Columbia/Legacy, the producers research and review the masters. They sit with the engineer and supervise every step of the remastering process, from transfer of the original recording, cleaning (if disc source or noisy tape source) through final mastering (the phase where EQ, reverb, etc. are added). It is the producer - not the engineer - who guides the aural recreation of the original recording. It is, therefore, the producer who bears responsibility for poor sound, and any audible mistakes that occur.

If no one with good ears and sound musical knowledge is monitoring the process, it becomes the engineer's call as to what does and does not comprise "good sound." There is no substitute for a knowledgeable, qualified AUDIO producer who can supervise this critical process with integrity.

An appalling sidenote that offers some insight into the banality of the record industry: Years ago, an executive at Columbia Records (now long gone) decided that the tape vault needed purging. In looking at the inventory, he made a snap decision, and ordered original MONO session tapes to be destroyed. His reasoning: they had all of the recordings preserved in STEREO, via the "electronically enhanced for stereo" tape copies. Great logic, huh?

Chuck Granata
    BONX!

Chuck & Sean, thanks so much for your input on a subject that I do not know anything about. There is one thing I did learn & that is you can't even trust the record executives at Capital & Columbia and probably other companies to know what the heck they're doing.

Thanks again

Smile THE COMPLET CAPITOL SINGLES COLLECTION 1996

Good sunny cool late morning from
    TROY, OHIO-USA:

Great comments, way over my head...but, very very necessary and helpful.....

I'm always amazed when I put these discs in my car along with others and hit the RANDOM button and always hear a song that is a surprise to me......

Sometimes it's better to be happy just not knowing what the hell really went on by 1996....

No wonder I've always had so much trouble recording my own singing....and then finally gave up.....Microphone(sp) sound level balance volume blah blah, I just never could get it all set and then sing good and get the job done.......no f-----g wonder....

Anyway, dumb or whatever as I am, I just love those four discs and I'm grateful I've got 'em.

Chuck, please don't take me wrong....I am learning because of what you share, but I'm just very, very, slow.....

Respectfully,
    Respectfully,
    The journey's long, much longer that I reckoned, in any throng, I'd know her in a second......

Doug,

Stop calling yourself Dumb! None of us have the aptitude in every subject. As much as I love audio equipment, I never understood all the technical jargon, even when reading Sound & Vision.

Doug, how dumb can you be? You listen to the greatest entertainer the world has ever known? That doesn't sound too dumb to me.

This set gets repeated listenings at our house and in our car. So many great singles; so many favorites. Couldn't even begin to list the favorites.

Also, the set introduced me to some songs that I would never have associated with Frank Sinatra, but are fun songs ("Ya Better Stop," "Two Hearts, Two Kisses" and "From The Bottom to the Top"). First time I heard "Two Hearts, Two Kisses," I couldn't believe I was listening to Frank Sinatra. A fun song. (Okay, I admit it: I also love "Hey Jealous Lover." Please don't crucify me.)