Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Mr. Sinatra ever write one of his hits?

Did Mr. Sinatra ever write one of his hits?

I know that FS often gave credit to the writers of the great songs that he sang. Did he ever write or help write songs? I don't mean help with arranging, but actually writing? Does anyone know?

These are the songs that bear official credit to Sinatra as co-songwriter or lyricist, that Sinatra recorded in studio:

I'm A Fool To Want You (with Jack Wolfe and Joel Herron, 1951)
    Mistletoe and Holly (with Dok Stanford and Hank Sanicola, 1957)
    Mr Success (with Ed Greines and Hank Sanicola, 1958)
    Peachtree Street (with Jimmy Saunders and Leni Mason, 1950)*
    Sheila (with Chris Hayward and Bob Staver, 1949)
    Take My Love (with Jack Wolfe and Joel Herron, 1950, an adaption from a theme from 3rd Symphony by Johannes Brahms)
    This Love Of Mine (with Sol Parker and Hank Sanicola, 1941)

I hope I didn't miss any.

His actual (if uncredited) contributions/additions/changes made during recording sessions are certainly more than these.

Bernhard.

* - PS/Addition: Corrected from previous entry following Bob's post as seen below. Thanks. Bernhard.

FS has writing credits on the following songs:

"I'm A Fool To Want You" (1951) with Jack Wolf & Joel Herron
    "Mistletoe And Holly" (1957) with Hank Sanicola & Dok Stanford
    "Mr. Success" (1958) with Hank Sanicola & Edwin Greines
    "Peachtree Street" (1950) with Jimmy Saunders
    "Sheila" (1949) with Robert Staver & Christopher Hayward
    "Take My Love" (1950) with Jack Wolf & Joel Herron
    "This Love Of Mine" (1941) with Hank Sanicola & Sol Parker

Bernhard: Some simultaneous typing there!
    We differ on the co-authors of "Peachtree Street"... I'll have to check my sources.

<<"Peachtree Street">>

ASCAP search (title code 460020226) shows Mason, Jimmy Saunders, and Frank Sinatra as writers. Performers listed by ASCAP are just FS and Rosemary Clooney.

Peachtree Street

I just did a little research too on Peachtree Street. It shows F. Sinatra, along with J. Saunders and L. Mason. It was performed with Rosemary Clooney, arranged by George Siravo.

Thanks for the info.
    Ken

Thanks for posting the ASCAP entry, Bob. Unless there is another case of artist's synonyms involved, I suppose the Saunders entry is the one to stick with (although ASCAP sometimes has minor errors). "L.Mason" is Leni Mason. I have adjusted my previous posting accordingly, see note.

Bernhard.

Peachtree Street

Interesting (if forgettable) song. Released as a single in 1950, it was one of three sides Frank recorded with Rosie Clooney (along with 'Cherry Pies Ought To Be You' and 'Love Means Love') during the Mitch Miller "novelty tune" days at Columbia. All three duets may be found on Volume 11 of The Columbia Years (1943-1952) The Complete Recordings.

The two singers would not appear together again in a recording studio until 1963, for the reprise of 'Some Enchanted Evening' for the Reprise Musical Repertory Theatre production of South Pacific.

Rosie Clooney loved to tell the story to her audiences how Frank Sinatra, in early 1980, sent her an advance copy of his new Reprise album "Trilogy" and added a note to it, reading: "It ain't Peachtree Street, but I hope you'll like it". (quoting from memory here).

Bernhard.

11. I forget the title, during the 70s

Didn't he write that one with the country Glen Campbellish guitar with a line:
    "I'm feeling very well now and you can go to hell now"?
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)

"And it's workin' out real well now, you can go to hell now; This time..."

'I'm Gonna Make It All The Way' (1972), music and words by Floyd Huddleston. A Reprise single, on the album Some Nice Things I've Missed. I don't think FS was an author.

The credit goes to Floyd Huddleston alone, as far as I see. By the way, anyone knows anything further about Floyd Huddleston? He also gets credit for words & music of "Satisfy Me One More Time" which FS recorded in 1974.

PhillyJohn, I liked your line "Glen Campellish guitar"!
    Maybe that's what the team intended?

Since it was a team on this recording as it seems - the session sheets list three guitarists for the original recording session with FS (12-10-73), Tommy Tedesco, Al Viola and John Morell. Plus, on 12-19-73, there was a "sweetening session" (possibly in course of mastering the final track for the single release) for this track with four(!) guitars, by Alvin Casey, Al Viola, John Morell and James Burton.

Bernhard.

I have to say that I am amazed daily by the facts and knowledge you all have about Mr. S. I thought I was a big fan. huh.... "I'm Not Worthy" haha thanks for sharing with me.

Uuuuuh faaggedit Sam - err, Ken!

"Fans" or "big fans" are any who keep enjoying the music all the time. Those who also like the details surrounding each recording are by doing so no "bigger" fans than others. (And that's no fishin' from my side, I have always hated "fan ratings", be it Sinatra or whatever artist). The key thing is (all) the music.

Bernhard.

<<anyone knows anything further about Floyd Huddleston?>>

Only what I can quickly Google: Floyd Huddleston (1918-1991).

The 1973 song 'Love' from Robin Hood appears to be his biggest success. Note that his credits include 'Ready, Willing And Able' from Young At Heart in 1955, which is another Sinatra connection, although FS did not sing that song.

Ken, "Fan" is short for "fanatic." Some of us are just a little more fanatical than others.

I find it fascinating how a simple question such as yours, which started this thread, can lead to all sorts of unintended, but no less interesting, details. For me, such details lead to a greater appreciation of the music, which is (as Bernhard said) the "key thing."

Thanks, Bob! If that's the Floyd Huddleston in question (there could be name duplicities, but it would fit, still if it's him I startle why no one of the Sinatra writers ever mentioned this before), the connection is clear:

"I'm ready, willing and able" -----> "I think I'm Gonna Make It All The Way" --------> Satisfy me one more time"!

Bernhard.

-----> "Encore, encore, encore!"

He didn't write "Mama Will Bark"?