Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SINATRA SINGS THE SELECT HAROLD ARLEN

I did wonder , Vito. Thanks for making the correction, 250 isn't many but 25! We wouldn't stand a chance ( at least now there's hope, if still only a teeney bit. )
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

2. THE SINATRA CHRISTMAS ALBUM (Reprise FS-1023) 1967

If number of pressings determines rarity, then this must surely be the rarest LP of all:

I expect Vito has one, since there's another (black-and-white) photo in his book. (This color image was scanned from The Sinatra Treasures. I couldn't lay it flat on my scanner due to the book fold, and the right side is cut off—in particular, the catalog no. under the Reprise logo at top.)

From —> another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Reprise catalog no. FS-1023 was reserved for The Sinatra Christmas Album in 1967. Songs were selected and a cover was designed and printed, but the project never materialized. [...] Some of the LP covers are in circulation. It's a beautiful blue color, and the "1023" is clearly shown beneath the Reprise logo in the upper-right corner. You can see a photo in The Sinatra Treasures book (page 160).
    Bob in Boston

Thanks Bob. In ref posting photos, maybe take a pic with your camera phone instead of scanning the page , when finding it awkward , could work. I know I've done it before for other projects.

Bob there is no vinyl to this particular album, just the cover. So in fact it's not an actual "recording"

On the subject of rare albums, the Sinatra Jobim 8-track (8FH-1028) may be the rarest in terms of existing copies. See Sinatra-Jobim Album Question.

As mentioned in post #13 of that thread, one was sold on eBay for $4,550 in 2006: archived auction details.
    Andrew

6. Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Bob there is no vinyl to this particular album, just the cover. So in fact it's not an actual "recording"
    Like I said: the rarest Sinatra LP of all. You must have missed the "wink" in my post, Vito.

Bob in Boston

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    On the subject of rare albums, the Sinatra Jobim 8-track (8FH-1028) may be the rarest in terms of existing copies. See Sinatra-Jobim Album Question.

As mentioned in post #13 of that thread, one was sold on eBay for $4,550 in 2006: archived auction details.
    WOW! I didn't realise it was so rare, I have two.... I mean I have to ....keep an eye for it

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    WOW! I didn't realise it was so rare, I have two.... I mean I have to ....keep an eye for it
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.
    Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. ~ Ellie Wiesel

9. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

Has anyone been to Roxbury, New York to see one?

—> The Eight Track Museum
    —> Dallas no longer the only city with an Eight Track Museum as NY outpost debuts with world’s rarest tape

Bob in Boston

I'm having my daughter go into the basement and find my complete discography I'm going from memory now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post

Nicely done!

Alright everyone here is the info: in terms of the rarest commercial vinyl recording, that award goes to "Sinatra sings the select Harold Arlen" what I thought at first as a mistake was indeed the true number, less than 27 of these lps were ever pressed. I said 250 because it just didn't look right to me but the actual number is indeed around 25.

Oh my days Vito

14. Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Vito, do you have any idea which songs were to be recorded for the Christmas LP? The only thing I've heard is they were to be Nelson Riddle arrangements. Was there a back cover printed to go with the front slick?

Bob in Boston

15. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vito View Post
    Alright everyone here is the info: in terms of the rarest commercial vinyl recording, that award goes to "Sinatra sings the select Harold Arlen" [...] less than 27 of these lps were ever pressed.
    There were actually test pressings of the Sinatra-Jobim album (Reprise FS-1028). (See SFF post —> The "Lost" album.) Not a commercial release, but I would think those might be more of a rarity than The Select Harold Arlen LP.

Bob in Boston
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 08-18-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Removed "vinyl" for what were likely test acetates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    There were actually vinyl test pressings of the Sinatra-Jobim album (Reprise FS-1028). (See SFF post —> The "Lost" album.) Not a commercial release, but I would think those might be more of a vinyl rarity than The Select Harold Arlen LP.

Bob in Boston
    Bob, I've seen the test pressings for sale at astronomical prices. One is currently available for £2,500.00 (US$ 4,225.00).

I know you have expressed doubts regarding the authenticity of at least one that was for sale, as well as the actual track sequence of the test pressing.
    Andrew

17. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    I know you have expressed doubts regarding the authenticity of at least one that was for sale, as well as the actual track sequence of the test pressing.
    Andrew, I don't remember expressing doubt as to the existence of a test pressing. I've seen it mentioned in multiple places. In fact, I referenced the track order shown in that "Lost Album" post as a correction to my post in the thread you linked:

—> Re: Aborted Sinatra-Jobim Album Question

Bob in Boston

Last edited by Vito; 08-18-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    Andrew, I don't remember expressing doubt as to the existence of a test pressing. I've seen it mentioned in multiple places. In fact, I referenced the track order shown in that "Lost Album" post as a correction to my post in the thread you linked:

—> Re: Aborted Sinatra-Jobim Album Question

Bob in Boston
    Bob, I didn't mean you had doubted the existence of the test pressings, but rather one copy with labels indicating a different running order: here.
    Andrew

20. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    I referenced the track order shown in that "Lost Album" post as a correction to my post in the thread you linked: —> Re: Aborted Sinatra-Jobim Album Question
    I have no doubt that was the intended LP track order: I believe I mentioned somewhere that it matches the order of the second half of the 2010 Concord remastered CD edition —> Sinatra Jobim: The Complete Reprise Recordings. That was no coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Bob, I didn't mean you had doubted the existence of the test pressings, but rather one copy with labels indicating a different running order: here.
    Ah, yes, and it was precisely the track order which raised my suspicions about that fraudulent eBay item. (So, I see you do visit the Steve Hoffman forum sometimes, Andrew. )

Bob in Boston
    Last edited by Bob in Boston; 08-18-2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Andrew's post linking to the SH Forum.