8. Tell Her (You Love Her Each Day)
    9. The Impossible Dream
    10. You're Gonna Hear From Me

all tracks arranged and conducted by Ernie Freeman

Reprise CD

Pedro

Thumbs up JUST FOUND "THAT'S LIFE"

on the web and wanted to bump it up.

As Pedro has listed, there are only ten cuts, but many are magnificent and some I hadn't heard at all.

SOMEWHERE MY LOVE from Dr. Zhivago is a really jazzy arrangement--hardly wouldn't recognize the song. It super!

THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM will literally send chills up your spine, it's so splendid.

SAND AND SEA is cute, delightful lyrics, and ohhh, Mr. S. seems to really enjoy it swinging so much!

So just wanted to tell you if you find it, it's worth adding to your library. It's arranged and conducted by Ernie Freeman, and originally released on Reprise November, 1966.

on this beautiful -filled Saturday in the Heartland!

I love the Thats Life cd as well as the Jobim. sinatra & Jobim is such a terrific Cd to relax to.

FRANK'S REPRISE JUKEBOX CONVERSION
    (Code digits: 1&2 = Disc, 3&4 = Track)

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8119

THAT'S LIFE

1101 That's Life
    1106 I Will Wait For You
    1104 Somewhere My Love
    1108 Sand and Sea
    1103 What Now, My Love?
    1105 Winchester Cathedral
    1102 Give Her Love
    0919 Tell Her (You Love Her Each Day)
    1109 The Impossible Dream
    1107 You're Gonna Hear From Me

I've been listening to an old scratchy vinyl copy of this album all morning today. I've been wondering how in depth I should go into Frank's Reprise catalog. But after listening to Sinatra-Basie and now this one, I'm pretty sure I'll get a lot of his Reprise stuff too.
    I'm real excited about his Capital stuff, his Columbia work I haven't heard as much.

Anyway, my favorite songs are That's Life and Winchester Cathedral.

By the way, I just ordered A Swingin' Affair, Only The Lonely and Nice n Easy off Amazon this morning, so I'm pretty excited.

Bob

Not too familiar with this one

probaby because the title song never really did it for me, although I always liked the drums in it. So I was pleasantly surprised when I dug this CD out from under what seems like 1000s of albums in Yvonne's collection, whilst looking for something different to listen too.

Of course I was familiar with the superb "What Now My Love" as it appeared on the UK compilation release "My Way" which I used to have on the walkman whilst I spent many a cold winters evening in the garden staring through my Tascams. The trademark AC organ being one of the brightspots of these Ernie Freeman charts, and went so well with stargazing.

"Winchester Cathedral" is fast becoming a firm favourite and really deserves a place in any Greatest Hits collection, superbly bold and brassy and swings as well as anything that came before.

The real highlight for me however is the instrumental break on "Somewhere My Love" which perfectly counters the exceptional phrasing of Mr S. which takes this usualy pretty lame standard into a totally different league.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

That's Life

What is the track listing to the album "That's Life"?
    Is the album a good album, other than the title tune that I love does the rest of the songs work for him?

Thanks,
    Melissa

8. I have merged your thread with the orignal 'Thats Life' thread, Melissa.

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware & Don't Despair

I never heard Frank sing Winchester Cathedral. It doesn't really sound like his kind of song. But all the more reason to listen to it. I'm gonna look out for this one. Love the cover too.
    ..... Leanne

The best song on this album, in my opinion, is You're Gonna Hear From Me.

It reminds me of my own philosophy on life:

Everyone tells me to know my place
    But that ain't the way I play
    So why am I daring to show my face?
    Well I've got something to say...
    Move over sun and give me some sky,
    I've got me some wings I'm eager to try
    I may be unknown, but wait till I've flown
    You're gonna hear from me!
    Make me some room, you people up there,
    On top of the world, I'll meet you I swear,
    I'm staking my claim, remember my name
    You're gonna hear from me!
    Fortune smiled, on the road before me
    And I'm fortune's child,
    Now listen world, you can't ignore me,
    Toss me the moon, 'cause I gotta shine
    I'm climbin' a cloud and callin' it mine
    You'll pardon my haste, I've no time to waist
    That's how it's gonna be, you'll see.......
    Cause you're gonna hear from me!
    I've got a song that longs to be played,
    Raise up my flag, begin my parade,
    My comet's on fire, I've got to go higher!
    Watch the world over
    Start comin'up Clover!
    That's how it's gonna be, you'll see
    Yes, you're gonna hear from me!
    ...said Duncan

That's What All The People Say......

I had this vinyl LP and wore it out back in the day; it is a great compilation of tunes and FS is in peak form! I've not seen it in retail outlets in cd...is it available separately besides in the Reprise Jukebox collection??
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.georgelyons.net

I've read in other reviews of That's Life (on other sites) that Winchester Cathredral is one of the weaker songs on the disc. I could never understand that. It's been one of my favorite cuts on the album since I first heard it, and remains a favorite.

What a terrible crap.
    The worst ever songs, orchestrated by Frank's worst ever arranger.

Thorsten

I'm glad someone on this thread agrees with me. The album sold like crazy because of the hit recording of the title tune. But it sounds hurried and to my ears, Frank's singing is indifferent, especailly compared with such albums of the same period as "Sinatra Jobim" and "Moonlight Sinatra." The arrangers, Ernie Freeman, is certainly not in the same league as Riddle, May, Jenkins or Stordahl. Freeman came up with the hit arrangement for the single, "That's Life," and was rewarded with this album. It paid off handsomely in sales.

Edwin

Re: Thorsten

Originally posted by Edwin I'm glad someone on this thread agrees with me. The album sold like crazy because of the hit recording of the title tune. But it sounds hurried and to my ears, Frank's singing is indifferent, especailly compared with such albums of the same period as "Sinatra Jobim" and "Moonlight Sinatra." The arrangers, Ernie Freeman, is certainly not in the same league as Riddle, May, Jenkins or Stordahl. Freeman came up with the hit arrangement for the single, "That's Life," and was rewarded with this album. It paid off handsomely in sales.

Edwin
    I agree with you. I always ask questions about Frank's voice on this album. I read he would sound like black jazzmans' voices.
    I think so "That's Life" isn't a greatest album from this period ; "Moonlight Sinatra" that you mentionned is a masterpiece and "Sinatra-Jobim" has genious songs.
    Another detail : "That's life" is too short ! Only 25 minutes for an album, it not enough for me.

I eventually got around to buying this album, and I must say, I'm glad I finally did. There are some lovely songs on the album, but my absolute favourite among them is The Impossible Dream. Frank's majestic reading of this song gave me goosebumps. The song really builds, not only in orchestration but in Frank's voice also. The modest and tender way he begins is in such stark contrast to the brash and jazzy title song where his throat is really pushed back. You'd be forgiven for thinking he were about to sing a Jobim bossa nova tune like Corcovado. Beautiful, beautiful singing!

The album will have many more listens but I'm really quite impressed by it so far.
    Alan

"How did all these people get in my room?"

I pride myself on being a great Sinatra fan. I've got such a vast collection of his output. Yet, chances are you'll never catch this one in the CD player. As others have highlighted, this album has Frank singing with ocmplete and utter indiffrence. Even "What Now, My Love" is bland, with Sinatra giving greaetest performances later on in concert. "SOmewhere My Love" is a song tht never agreed with me. That great Maurice Jarre score from Doctor Zhivago didn't translate well into popular song. You can tell that everything was hurredly recorded in order to cash in on the hit of "That's Life" (for my money, the only outstanding song on here). Sinatra had a similar situation with "Strangers in the Night" though Nelson Riddle was able to rise to the occasion and write charts for one of my favorite Reprise era LP's. Here though, Freeman just couldn't.

In other words: skip it.

18. This may not be your favorite but it represents an interesting time in his life. Many of the songs were chosen by Mia. She practially begged him to do The Impossible Dream. The rest of us were against it.

Also, Winchester Cathedral was Random House Publisher, Bennett Cerf's favorite song of the day. Bennett was the person who told me to start working on a book about Dad which I did - that very year. It took about 18 years to complete the research and picture collecting.

It was a very good book, I must say. That's really interesting about Mia and her influence on the song selection and the fact that it translated to one of Sinatra's more weak affairs. Of course, that's all my opinion.

20. Let's put it this way. He loved her so he did some songs that he might never have done otherwise. I think it says a lot about his life at that time and, therefore should not be dismissed.