Page 467 of 467 FirstFirst ... 367417457465466467
Results 9,321 to 9,336 of 9336

Thread: What Is On Your DVD Player / What Are You Watching Now?

It wouldn’t be New Year’s Eve without Twilight Zone on SyFy. While the plots and special effects are sometimes cheesy by today’s standards, I love spotting young actors in their very early days, or older actors in the last years of their careers. This morning, I’ve seen episodes with Buster Keaton, Dean Stockwell and Leonard Nimoy, Robert Redford, and Joseph Wiseman (James Bond’s Dr No).
    Id rather regret the things I did than the things I did not do. ~ Francis Albert Sinatra

Eunice has "flipped" over "Outlander!" I think it's beautifully done (scripts, acting, gorgeous cinematography), but I'm not as enthusiastic as she is. We're watching one episode every night. There are a lot of episodes. I think there are about 16 episodes per season (a sure sign of its popularity), which means this series cost big bucks to produce! Still, we'd rather watch it than the thoroughly inane (IOHO) network offerings of reality shows, "music" contests, and, worst of all, those awful reboots of "Magnum P.I.," "Hawaii 5-0," "MackYver," et al! Only our opinion!
    Stanley

I watched the first episode of "Game of Thrones" when it premiered (2011?). I was underwhelmed and didn't care to see anymore of it.

After years of hearing the hype and a recent urging of friends who are fans of the show, I picked up season 1 in the after Thanksgiving bargain bin for $9.95. I sat down and watched it and became hooked.

So, now I'm already halfway through season 4. I guess I'm "binging" it.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

Have been unwell the last couple of nights and so have been wallowing in movies. I watched Peter Ustinov in Evil Under the Sun last night as the clock struck midnight (although it's not a patch on Death on the Nile), this afternoon I watched I Gotta Be Me - which is the recent documentary on Sammy Davis, and then tonight I watched one of my favourite films called Les Roseau Sauvages (issued in America as "Wild Reeds") which is a wonderful French coming of age movie that I fell in love with many years ago.

Music aside, I rather enjoyed the series although I know that many hated it if you go by the Twitter reaction. I didn't think Malkovich was particularly good as "Poirot" if you want your Poirot to be like the book, but if you tried to see him as a different character entirely it worked very well. I enjoy how the BBC have "darkened" the Christie catalogue in recent years, but there seems to be much more of an outcry about that than when ITV shoehorned Miss Marple into adaptations of books she never appeared in. My understanding is that next Christmas we have the first ever adaptation for TV/film of Death Comes as the End, which is a Christie novel set in Ancient Egypt, and I believe They Came to Baghdad is on the cards too. And we have a Kenneth Branagh Death on the Nile coming to our cinema screens too. Meanwhile the long series of French adaptations of Christie novels in recent years have made their English-subtitled DVD debut too (albeit only on region one). I haven't seen them yet, but I have a set on order. Looking forward to them.

Shane, we'll watch any series that features Hercule Poirot! He is one of the greatest literary characters ever created (IOHO), and Dame Agatha's stories are wonderfully crafted. A talented team of producers, writers, cinematographers, and actors will always have a "treasure trove" to explore and create! Eunice and I are highly "biased" in favor of David Suchet's magnificent Poirot. We've enjoyed Tony Randall, Peter Ustinov, Albert Finney, and, most recently, Kenneth Branagh. We love John Malkovich's work, and look forward to seeing his turn. Suchet, however, remains the gold standard! By the way, I had always hoped that Olivier would have found some time to give Hercule "a shot!" I think he would have been great fun! Can't wait to see those French adaptations! Take care & be well!
    Stanley

I watched Call Me By Your Name tonight (a few months after most other people!). It looks very pretty, and certainly works as a very nice advertisement for Northern Italy, but I found myself not really getting emotionally involved in the story or empathising with the characters. This wasn't helped by what seemed like a considerable amount of padding, and I wonder if it might have been better had it been twenty minutes shorter (it runs at two and a quarter hours).

The story about a seventeen year old (ish) teenager who begins a relationship with a research assistant who has come to live with his family for the summer to work with his father in Northern Italy is very slight and seems to go to all the various plot points that you might expect. I should also add at this point that I hope to start work in a research assistant post later this year, and there is no prospect of eight weeks of sunning myself in Italy!!! Perhaps I should complain. Arnie Hammer and Timothee Chalamet do very well in their roles, with the latter no doubt destined for great things - and the fact that he makes you start to like a character who transcribes Schoenberg for fun gives an indication of his screen presence. Apparently, there will be a sequel, and may be even a long-running series about these characters, but I'm not going to get too excited.

The film gained some considerable attention, mostly because the two romantic leads were both male. It's a big step forward for Hollywood in that they produced a whopping two major films with gay lead characters this year (how did they cope?!), but a film that is a milestone for Hollywood is not anything special for anyone who watches independent or foreign-language films on a regular basis. In truth, France, Germany, Spain and Scandinavia in particular have been making films with gay lead characters literally for decades, better than this, and without trumpeting their "daring" every time such a film is released. It's just par for the course.

Love Simon, the other Hollywood film of male-male love is another thing altogether and truly is a first in its use of the high school movie format that we have all seen over the last few decades - and a more entertaining, and thoroughly likeable, film by far. Hopefully, Love Simon will lead to such things being "normal" in major films. It is, apparently, the 14th highest grossing teen romance since 1980, which demonstrates that teenage audiences have no problem with the subject matter - and from the point of view as a gay man myself, that's quite something given the significant rise of the right in politics at the moment. But out of Call Me By Your Name and Love Simon, it will be the latter that I will return to. It's funny, charming and thoroughly engaging whether you're the intended teen audience or not, and I found little of that in the more self-important watched tonight.

Sandra Oh was excellent on last night's Golden Globes telecast. Eunice and I have started watching "Killing Eve," on the BBC America channel. There are eight episodes for the first season, and we watched the first two this afternoon. It's riveting, and Ms. Oh is marvelous. If the rest of the episodes are as good as the first two, I think she casn have a long-running "annuity," and will win a few more acting awards along the way! We highly recommend this (new to us) series to the SFFer Family!
    Stanley

I'm getting caught up on VICTORIA from PBS Masterpiece before the new season airs this week. I didn't know anything about Queen Victoria, but as I watch, I'm admiring her more and more. Her fiery yet warm spirit is very inspiring to watch. She was worried about people thinking she couldn't be strong because she was small in height but her secretary says, "You are every inch a Queen." I love that! I also enjoy that she has so many dogs and puppies around her at all times. I've always felt that a leader simply cannot govern their country without a furry friend by their side.

Speedway.

Happy Birthday, Elvis.
    Download NANCY SINATRA's latest album, SHIFTING GEARS, now!Download from iTunes Download this album from Amazon.

I don't know if you've ever seen Secretariat, but it's the wonderful portrayal of the events of the 1973 chase for racing's Triple Crown. I discovered the video of the actual Belmont race, one of the most outstanding athletic events in history, here:

Source: YouTube

Seeing the real Penny Chenery (Secretariat's owner) and her unabashed glee is not to be forgotten.
    Pack a small bag....

About to watch Between Two Women in honor of Farrah Fawcett's birthday. I'll possibly follow it up with The Burning Bed.
    Download NANCY SINATRA's latest album, SHIFTING GEARS, now!Download from iTunes Download this album from Amazon.

Happened onto a very interesting movie last night, The Death of Stalin. It was a tongue-in-cheek semi-serious recounting of the political fights following Stalin's death in 1953. If you were alive back then, you'll recognize most of the players. It's fairly recent, 2017, and I'm surprised for two reasons... one, I'd never heard of it and, two, apparently the Academy Awards never had, either, because IMdB shows 18 wins out of 31 nominations, mostly European.
    Pack a small bag....

Watching all the seasons of The Sopranos again for the 20th anniversary .
    Great cameo by Frankie Jr
    And waiting again for Nancy's " Bossman" with her familiar backup singer

Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    Happened onto a very interesting movie last night, The Death of Stalin. It was a tongue-in-cheek semi-serious recounting of the political fights following Stalin's death in 1953. If you were alive back then, you'll recognize most of the players. It's fairly recent, 2017, and I'm surprised for two reasons... one, I'd never heard of it and, two, apparently the Academy Awards never had, either, because IMdB shows 18 wins out of 31 nominations, mostly European.
    It's hilarious. But, to appreciate the humor you have to know a great deal about the subject and the people in Stalin's orbit at the time of his death.
    I think it's one of the best movies of 2018.
    Greg
    "There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott

The Haunted House Of Horror (US title: Horror House) (1969)

A group of bored teenagers (including 30 old Frankie Avalon, Jill Haworth, 60's singer Mark Wynter, and future TV stars Richard O'Sullivan, Veronica Doran, Carol Dilworth and Robin Stewart) decide to check out a creaky old haunted house, resulting in a few murders and a lot of talking.
    Begins with an extremely graphic killing (for 1969), but goes completely flat for the next 50 mins, before picking up with a suitably atmospheric and grim ending. Good turns by veterans Dennis Price and George Sewell, and some fascinating location shots of swinging 60's London, but the production notes are more interesting than the film itself. Coincidentally both Avalon and Wynter had hit songs about Venus.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; Yesterday at 04:30 AM.