Thread: Montreux Jazz Festival 2006 

Montreux Jazz Festival 2006

I just received the following press release:

Montreux Jazz Festival to Honor Atlantic Records: 40th Celebration...

and I was wondering if any SFF members are planning to attend the festivities in Switzerland from June 30th through July 15th? I'd love to hear about the festival or see photos.

I'm especially interested in the opening concert tribute to Ahmet Ertegun, and the performance of Les McCann and the Soul Survivors (renamed the "Atlantic Soul All-Stars"). McCann, along with the late Eddie Harris, helped put Montreux on the map with their performance at the fledgling festival in 1969, as recorded on the famous album, Swiss Movement.

Montreaux.....

Thanks for the info! I wish I were going! Trying to make it real,compared to what?
    WNEW..Where The Melody Lingers On..

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Potts View Post
    Trying to make it real, compared to what?
    Just like old young King Tut, eh Ed?

sounds great

Bob, we will be in Baltimore visiting friends and perhaps getting to NY for a day trip at that time. Hugs,
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

If anyone need more info about the Montreal Jazz festival, I can get it for you, I have an information place juste beside my house!
    Stephane N.

Bad reading! Sorry! I was reading "Montreal Jazz festival"! Sorry! I spend to much time on my word processor theses days, I am turning blind!`

Stephane N.

Montreux is about a 1.5 hour drive from Leukerbad, but I haven't as of yet gone to the Jazz festival. There's one in Lugano in the summer as well, but less famous than its Vaudois equivalent.

Switzerland is a great place for Jazz, however. One of the Swiss Jazz community's favorite photo and poster inspiration is the one of Louis Armstrong putting his lips to the alphorn! I wonder if he could play St. Louis Blues with that mother!

Support the FAS Times Square Statue
    Sleep warm all!!!!!

Swiss Jazz festivals are a pain in the arse, well they are if you have to sort out all the customs paperwork for rented concert pianos and deal with the Italian delivery drivers who don't speak a word of German or English.

And the painos always come back in a terrible condition!

One came back last year full of water because a candle fell in it and set the thing on fire.

and That's Jazz!!!!
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

Please stop, Marty, you're getting me homesick!

Support the FAS Times Square Statue
    Sleep warm all!!!!!