Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel they were born in the wrong era?

Anyone else feel they were born in the wrong era?

When you're around people your age and usually even those older than you and you're the only one who listens to Frank, Bing and the rest of the guys (and girls of course).

It's funny sometimes I have to go to great lengths to do so. And the excuses I have to make up to wear a (Not to wear a Frank, to wear a hat I mean...)

The closest I got was my grandfather but he died before I even discovered the era so...

There's no real point in this post except to see if anyone else feels this way .

Cheers
    Darryl

2. Yes, I feel the same way!!
    Alyssa
    "THE BEST IS YET TO COME" 1915-1998

Good to hear I'm not alone .

Although I do predict that the generations to come will revert back to the old style of music and dressing...just to rebel against the current generations who listen to the modern music . It's all a twisted and vicious circle of life if you think about it. So much for Mufasa's idea of balance eh?

4. Alyssa
    "THE BEST IS YET TO COME" 1915-1998

Well, it's quite sad really...the more time passes, the more people who value the era diminish.

Except for the odd teen who'll watch the Charmed episode 'Pardon my Past' and be opened into a whole new world of wonder .

EDIT : Rather, new for them. Because it is, in fact, the old world of wonder...

Darryl I feel exactly like that sometimes...my friends are mostly out of touch with my tastes and why I feel the way I do about SInatra and his music. It's nice to come here and see so many like-minded young people! I'm not odd!!!

Of course you're not odd In fact, it's all the other's who are odd . We're perfectly fine .

And it's so true (the part about coming here), I finally see people my age on the same 'Lonesome Road' . Which is not so lonesome in this forum.

I certainly like the music from Frank's era above any other, but I can't imagine my life being any better than it is now. I enjoy all of our modern luxuries, though few of our modern cars, even Lincoln is destroying themselves in the new era, due to the fact that it is disposed to suffer the ill management of Ford Motor Company. Of course, the 77 Lincoln Continental Mark V will exist regardless of what the new cars look like. Though, now I'm trailing off subject, but in general, we can grant a decent respect and appreciation to the cultures we enjoy while still being perfectly content with our position in society as it is now. The only difficulty I'm having at present is finding a black wide-brim fedora to go with my double-breasted black number.

I feel that MANYY times!! I really, reallyy feel that...

I think that I'm simply just born in the wrong decade.

I truly feel that I was born between 30's - 40's in a previous life. I have felt this for a long time. I absolutely believe that I lived through one of the World Wars so maybe I was born prior to this time - who knows??

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
    I truly feel that I was born between 30's - 40's in a previous life. I have felt this for a long time. I absolutely believe that I lived through one of the World Wars.
    I've felt this too! Except I feel I was a bit earlier, between 1890 and 1910. It's funny, I'm so convinced I created this whole life for me which I apparently 'lived'. The name I normally associate with has become my alias. Now I'm Catholic so it's not within my beliefs to include Reincarnation, but I do believe that if God wanted, he could give us a second chance at life, so I look at it that way.

If it's all true though, there's a 58-year-old Lucy Greyhound somewhere. Yeah, I thought that far

12. Definitely born in the wrong era. We were born in the era of rap music and crappy alternative.

"WADDA YA HEAR,WADDA YA SAY ?"

I feel the exact same way. Everyone asks me, why can't i be normal and listen to rap and stuff, and i'm like because i have good taste

Same here, I was definately born in the wrond time!
    THe only thing is, I've spoken to people who feel the same as me and they say they wish they could go back in time. Sadly, the era that I love (30s-50s) were war ridden and the world was pretty messy. More so here in England than in America.

But still...I can listen to a Rat Pack show or just a duet with Bing Crosby and Judy Garland and I'm immediately transported back! Or just watching Singing in the rain....Pure magic! I love all their clothes and sense of style, give me a guy in a suit then in some shoddy baggy jeans and converses any day! Though sadly their aren't enough 16yr old guys prepared to break the mould and dress differently *sigh*

I don't like a lot of type of modern music (I especially hate indie and rock culture) I don't mind a bit of rap and rnb. I also like 'oldies' rock as in the Beatles, Beach Boys etc.

Hmm im 20 years old now so i cant post in here anymore....... ........ Yes i feel the same way Darryl, nice to meet you.

Just about no body my age knows anything about Frank or Jazz music and i have to go through every single day of my life just keeping the whole thing to myself. But then we have this Forum where we can all talk and share the common interest.

I just go through each day of my life knowing that i am onto something really really big and cool and most people have no idea on what they are missing out on

Quote Originally Posted by Sinatraisgood89 View Post
    I love all their clothes and sense of style, give me a guy in a suit then in some shoddy baggy jeans and converses any day! Though sadly their aren't enough 16yr old guys prepared to break the mould and dress differently *sigh*
    I agree with everything else that you said completely but I just thought I'd point out that I'm that 16 year old guy (as in the suit, not the baggy jeans).

Nice to meet you too Andrew

i love how simple and safe things were a long time ago!
    now, i worry about gang wars and terrorist attacks constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    When you're around people your age and usually even those older than you and you're the only one who listens to Frank, Bing and the rest of the guys (and girls of course).

It's funny sometimes I have to go to great lengths to do so. And the excuses I have to make up to wear a (Not to wear a Frank, to wear a hat I mean...)

The closest I got was my grandfather but he died before I even discovered the era so...

There's no real point in this post except to see if anyone else feels this way .

Cheers
    Darryl
    I sure do! I kinda wish i lived in Frank's Hey-Hey Day. In the words of Ella.................The world has gone mad today
    And good's bad today,
    And black's white today,
    And day's night today,
    When most guys today
    That women prize today
    Are just silly gigolos
    And though I'm not a great romancer
    I know that I'm bound to answer
    When you propose,
    Anything goes. She's got a good point, doncha think?

19. Was I born in the wrong era?

[self-deleted]

20. Like Steve above, I'm too old for this forum.

But, if I may suggest, the age-identity thing is natural during teens. I don't want to break any teens' hearts by telling them that the friends, associations, and popcult geared toward them probably won't stay with them another ten years, at least not in anything more than perhaps a 1/4th magnitude.

When we have the time to check out recorded interviews and music of those who went before us by 20 or 40 or more years, we find that they dealt with the same things we do and can often relate moreso than with the random peers we were blessed (stuck) with. I love looking at pictures of teenaged Nancy and teenaged Frank.

Sadly, not all expand their horizons. One old friend only expanded his waist and lost his hair.
    ......pick yourself up...... ......dust yourself off...... ......start all over again...... (my e-mail)