Thread: Cheap re-issues

Cheap re-issues

Has anybody else ever noticed that among the 4 major recording companies that FS worked for; RCA VICTOR had Camden, COLUMBIA had Harmony, CAPITOL had Pickwick, but REPRISE never had an El Cheapo subsidiary?

I wonder if Mr. Sinatra's hand at the helm had anything to do with that.
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

Sympathetically packaged and compiled official budget label releases serve a very important purpose especially with regards to older catalogue recordings of many artistes. The can provide an economical introduction to a particular performer, or in my case, a taster of particular eras of recordings of which prior to finding them I was unaware.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

Point well taken

You have a valid point Marty. As a gateway experience there is nothing like an inexpensive sample to tempt the masses.

Wonder why Reprise never went this route though. Even the Greatest Hits volumes sold for full price under the Reprise banner.
    Discounting them for clearance doesn't count - even the very best of the other labels albums were punched and discounted after a certain period of going unsold.

In recent years the "Box Sets" have commanded such a high price as to disuade the casual listener from investing. These "GEMS" including the new Vegas set from Rhino are aimed mainly at already established FS fans. When I purchased my set I casually flipped through the other available CDs. None of what I saw (with the exception of wee small hours) was an appropriate starting disc.

If the Major labels are to keep the Flame alive, their packaging as well as their liner notes visible on the unopened CD MUST be more informative and user friendly.
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

Valiant

In the good old UK we did have some Reprise albums issued on a budget label called Valiant, I have in my collection

Sinatra - Basie/Frank Sinatra
    Album Reprise R1008 FS1008 1963
    Valiant VS144

That Old Black Magic
    Keely Smith
    Reprise R6165
    Valiant VS113

distruubted by CBS according to liner

True Chris, I've got the Basie LP on Valiant. I cant think of an equivalent for Reprise CD's. The Music For Pleasure (MFP) releases of Swing Easy and This is Sinatra were very cheap in their time. I suppose it should be noted the Reprise reissue series recently was cheap - about 4 to 5 a disc.

The Harmony label released some Reprise material in the late 60's such as abridged versions of the Reprise Repertory Theater LPs.

Harmony Records

When I started buying Sinatra albums in the late 1960s most of the Columbia albums from the 1950s (yes I know they were compilations of his Columbia singles) were out of print. The Harmony albums were a great introduction to his work. I still think of them fondly.

Larry, posting to keep my amateur status in tact....

The Columbia titles you mention were always difficult to find here. Consequently, I never did get Reflections, That Old Feeling, or Adventures of the Heart until the Big Blue Box. Of course, I did have some titles on 78, but not the albums. (In the 80s I picked up That old Feeling from a dealer. The cost? $35! But considering how many times I played it, worth every penny.)
    NICK
    Old School Teacher

here's that picture again - and title - this time it was issued in Italy & Holland CBS 62458 c1967

Nearness of You

I own this Capitol Pickwick copy SPC-3450 with A-W2 on B-W2 on the leadout spaces. The sound is very good, except there are a couple of tracks on side 1 where Franks voice is a little diffused, rather than the rock solid center of the stereo spread. Very nice album with some great songs.

I must add that since I own quite a bit of old vinyl as most Sinatra fans probably also do, the best investment I've made this last year is my Spin Clean record cleaner. I have no stake in the company, but for $79 it has made a remarkable improvement in the sound of many of my lps. I still search the used bins, and for this, the Spin Clean is indispensable. I also use my 2 old bulk R2R tape erasers for removing static electricity that can build up from time to time.
    Jim Tavegia

Jim, that Spin-Clean looks pretty cool. Do you have to use it every time you play an LP, or is it just for an initial cleaning of dirty records?
    11-22-10: I became the 1000th member of the Sinatra Family forum!

Quote Originally Posted by JimTavegia View Post
    I own this Capitol Pickwick copy SPC-3450 with A-W2 on B-W2 on the leadout spaces. The sound is very good, except there are a couple of tracks on side 1 where Franks voice is a little diffused, rather than the rock solid center of the stereo spread. Very nice album with some great songs.

I must add that since I own quite a bit of old vinyl as most Sinatra fans probably also do, the best investment I've made this last year is my Spin Clean record cleaner. I have no stake in the company, but for $79 it has made a remarkable improvement in the sound of many of my lps. I still search the used bins, and for this, the Spin Clean is indispensable. I also use my 2 old bulk R2R tape erasers for removing static electricity that can build up from time to time.
    one of my mail order record sellers from Holland sent me this Album as an extra surprise treat (for Christmas so I think he must have noticed how many Sinatra records in particular he'd sent my way) and it is a very nice budget compilation indeed, the track order on side one in particular works very well.

as an aside, here in Europe, I've noticed some older Reprise Albums with a budget repackaging in a Warners' "Star Portrait" series, notably the two Basie LPs (though I think this was in the early 70s)
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow