One For My Baby - Frank Sinatra
    Say It Isn't So - Sally Kellerman
    Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
    I Wanna Be Around - Tony Bennett
    Is That All There Is - Peggy Lee
    Walk On By - Steve Tyrell
    That's Life - Frank Sinatra
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 11-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Sergio Mendes
    Week of November 5, 2018

Sergio Mendes' Selections:
    You Make Me Feel So Young - Frank Sinatra
    Night And Day - Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66
    Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra
    My Kind Of Town, Chicago Is - Frank Sinatra
    The Girl From Ipanema - Frank Sinatra
    Theme From New York, New York - Frank Sinatra
    Softly, As I Leave You - Frank Sinatra
    Watch What Happens - Sérgio Mendes & Brasil '66
    Watch What Happens - Frank Sinatra
    It Was A Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra
    Fly Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra
    I've Got You Under My Skin - Frank Sinatra
    The Lady Is A Tramp (live: Madison Square Garden) - Frank Sinatra
    Strangers In The Night - Frank Sinatra
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    Young At Heart - Frank Sinatra
    Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 11-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    Leigh Ann

A marvelous "PF" with Sergio Mendes. Brasil '66 owns one of the most infectious musical sounds in popular music history (IMHO)! They were wonderful! One quick memory: The first time Eunice and I saw them, I was having such a great time that I kept kicking the back of the seat in front of me. The lovely lady sitting in that seat finally turned around and, speaking in a lilting British accent, said, "Sir, you must learn to control yourself!" Just precious!
    Stanley

Playing Favorites with Johnny Mathis
    Week of December 3, 2018
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-11-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Peter Lemongello
    Week of December 9, 2018

Peter Lemongello has been entertaining audiences around the world since the 1970s with his interpretations of the great standards. His love and respect for Frank come through during the visit to our microphones as he picks some of the songs that have inspired him over the years.

Peter Lemongello's Selections:
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    The Coffee Song - Frank Sinatra
    Do I Love You - Peter Lemongello
    Was There a Call For Me - Bobby Darin
    Love's Been Good to Me - Frank Sinatra
    Get Me to the Church on Time - Frank Sinatra
    I've Been to Town - Frank Sinatra
    It Was a Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Pat Boone
    Week of December 17, 2018

Pat Boone's Selections:
    Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Frank Sinatra
    Silver Bells - Bing Crosby & Carol Richards
    Winter Wonderland - Frank Sinatra
    (There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays - Perry Como
    In Harm's Way - Pat Boone
    Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Dean Martin
    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - Frank Sinatra
    The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
    Little Drummer Boy - Rosemary Clooney
    An Old Fashioned Christmas - Frank Sinatra
    An Old Fashioned Christmas - Pat Boone
    It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - Ella Fitzgerald
    White Christmas - Bing Crosby
    Ave Maria - Frank Sinatra
    Christmas Medley - Tony Bennett
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-11-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Jack Jones
    Week of December 24, 2018

Jack Jones' Selections:
    Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry - Frank Sinatra
    One For My Baby (And One More For The Road) - Jack Jones
    Nice 'N' Easy - Frank Sinatra
    I Wish You Love - Keely Smith
    Return To Me (Ritorna-Me) - Dean Martin
    Ring-A-Ding Ding - Frank Sinata
    Because Of You - Tony Bennett
    The Lady Is A Tramp - Ella Fitzgerald
    In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning - Frank Sinatra
    Fascination - Jane Morgan
    Strangers In The Night - Frank Sinatra
    After The Lovin' - Engelbert Humperdinck
    Call Me Irresponsible - Frank Sinatra
    My Kind Of Town - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-11-2019 at 10:32 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Tom Jones
    Week of January 7, 2019

Tom Jones' Selections:
    Hey! Jealous Lover - Frank Sinatra
    Fly Me to the Moon - Tom Jones
    It Was a Very Good Year - Frank Sinatra
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    Fever - Peggy Lee
    Mr. Bojangles - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Luck Be a Lady - Frank Sinatra
    If He Should Ever Leave You - Tom Jones
    Come Dance with Me - Frank Sinatra
    The Impossible Dream - Tom Jones
    Strangers in the Night - Frank Sinatra
    Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-12-2019 at 05:11 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Molly Ringwald
    Week of January 14 , 2019

For those of us who were teens in the 1980s, we know Molly as our contemporary who portrayed a teen in some well known John Hughes' movies such as Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Pretty in Pink. But did you also know Molly is also a singer, and has a great love for standards? Listen in as she shares some of her favorite music with us.

Molly Ringwald's Selections:
    The Coffee Song - Frank Sinatra
    My One and Only Love - Johnny Hartman
    How High the Moon - Ella Fitzgerald
    Almost Blue - Diana Krall
    I Get Along Without You Very Well - Molly Ringwald
    In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning - Frank Sinatra
    J'aime Paris Au Mois de Mai - Charles Azanmou
    I'll Be Seeing You - Sarah Vaughan
    These Foolish Things - Etta James
    Waters of March - Susannah McCorkle
    If I Loved You - Frank Sinatra with Shirley Jones
    Manhattan - Blossom Dearie
    The Very Thought of You - Molly Ringwald
    I Love Paris - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-12-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Dennis Yelkand
    Week of January 21, 2019

Dennis Yelkand's Selections:
    The Best is Yet to Come - Frank Sinatra
    Luck Be a Lady - Frank Sinatra
    A Tisket a Tasket - Ella Fitzgerald
    Cry Me a River - Dinah Washington
    Fly Me to the Moon - Frank Sinatra
    Ain't That a Kick in the Head - Frank Sinatra
    I Get a Kick Out of You - Frank Sinatra
    True Love Ways - Buddy Holly
    They Can't Take That Away From Me - Frank Sinatra
    Cold Cold Heart - Norah Jones
    Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-25-2019 at 09:09 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Patti LaBelle
    Week of January 28, 2019
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-12-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Playing Favorites with Katharine McPhee
    Week of February 4, 2019

Katharine McPhee's Selections:
    All the Way - Frank Sinatra
    I Fall in Love Too Easily - Frank Sinatra
    Night and Day - Katharine McPhee
    Everything Must Change - Nina Simone
    Cheek to Cheek - Tony Bennett with Lady Gaga
    Feeling Good - Michael Buble'
    Over the Rainbow - Jane Monheit
    Night and Day - Frank Sinatra
    The Look of Love - Diana Krall
    My Way - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Leigh Ann

Richard Carpenter's Playing Favorites (just ended)

“On our backs we'd lie, looking at the sky, till the stars were strung . . . only last July, when the world was young.”

Coincidences. Are you experiencing more of them as you get older? They're second-nature to me now, like breathing out and breathing in (to coin a song lyric). Earlier this day I'd been thinking about Richard Carpenter – in particular an album he and Karen recorded with arrangements mainly by Billy May. I'd been thinking about something Richard said on his “Playing Favorites” show – dare I say, “my favorite” (apart from the lost episode by my favorite living singer, Calabria Foti).

Richard Carpenter has a special speaking voice – warm and welcoming, like an old friend. And he is perhaps the most solidly musical host of Playing Favorites in the history of the show. His comments before each song, I remember, were informed, informative and a joy – for someone like me. I remember sharing his opinion that the later 1963 version of ALL THE WAY was better than the '57 original.

So here I am driving home tonight and there's the instantly-recognizable voice – Richard Carpenter – Playing Favorites!

I tuned in at the moment when he's making that very compliment to both the “improved” Riddle arrangement for the '63 version. The '57 version featured brass that was too strong, compared to the softer French horns (my observation) and more strings.

Richard Carpenter singled out his favorite song on that parting album at Capitol in 1961, featuring that beautiful album cover painting (Bob in Boston 'researched' for us a couple of days ago.

Richard noted it was a French melody for which Johnny Mercer provided an evocative lyric that summons up poignant memories. “Everything about this recording is tops” he said – “Sinatra's voice at its very best, singing this great song [outstanding] recording quality as well as a most beautiful orchestration, “by 'Sinatra's first great arranger, Axel Stordahl.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEq6p8FQ8vY

Speaking of "favorite versions" I share Richard Carpenter's opinion about Karen's rendition of Rodgers & Hart's LITTLE GIRL BLUE (his show closer). Not least for the arrangement which, if memory serves, was by the same English orchestrator who arranged the orchestral segments on THE MOODY BLUES' "Days of Future Past" album. Yes, THIS is my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4CnvJI6VJA
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 02-19-2019 at 07:33 PM.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    Richard Carpenter singled out his favorite song on that parting album at Capitol in 1961, featuring that beautiful album cover painting (Bob in Boston 'researched' for us a couple of days ago).
    Andrew is the one who deserves recognition for his research, Mark.

Details in the album thread: —> POINT OF NO RETURN (Capitol) 1961 Axel Stordahl, Heinie Beau

Bob.

Don't miss Richard Carpenter's Playing Favorites

A thousand thanks, Bob. Richard Carpenter on his Playing Favorites show (right this minute) says Perry Como's magnificent reading of Richard Rodgers' NO OTHER LOVE was arranged by Mitchell Ayers (sp?) and the song, is from an obscure Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, "Me & Juliet." Mr. Carpenter, whose musical knowledge is vast and is shared in a warm voice that's like hearing a brother, reminds us that the music originated "a few years earlier in Rodgers' sterling music for the documentary VICTORY AT SEA.

I tell you . . . Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio radio -- I could never keep up with all the musical gems it provides us each day. God willing I'll be listening, if possible, on my deathbed, telling some beautiful young nurse, "You really should have this, if you want an education in good music!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4KqyA9ax0

16. I heard Richard's Playing Favorites twice. The man sure knows his music.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

Tony Russell THEME FROM PICNIC

There are two songs that “take me back” there – to the summer of 57 or 58. One is Old Cape Cod with its “show me” lyric (“If you're fond of sand dunes and salt sea air, quaint little villages here and there you're sure to fall in love with . . .) The other is PICNIC. Decades later I'd learn that the song had a lyric (by the very first Tonight Show host, Steve Allen). But we heard it first – it enchanted my 10 or 11 year old ears on our family's little “Viking” radio at our summer cottage – as an instrumental – and it cleverly combined two melodies that musically-literate people like my Mom and Dad would recognize as a much older tune, MOONGLOW.

In the sixty years since, approximately no one has ever recorded “Picnic.” So what a treat, to hear the gentle voice of “Tony Russell” (an actor?) Did he host a “Playing Favorites” show? I seem to recall sitting in my car in a hospital parking lot and that same voice is recalling the most poignant anecdote about his late wife. Is his version of PICNIC at Youtube. Yes, posted one year ago, no comments and no helpful votes. Well, I gave it a helpful. His voice is like a beloved uncle who once was quite a good singer. But the limited range and vocal timbre has such endearing vulnerability. And since no one else ever records this song, this is clearly “my favorite version.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqYzrz9U_sg

Life-long favorite instrumental version of PICNIC

The winter of 1959 RCA Victor released an LP by Chet Atkins – my life-long finger-style guitar hero; my older sister Andrea was lent a copy by her guitarist boyfriend. I couldn't stop playing it. To this day it is my favorite of Chet's more than 50 albums. Recorded in October of '58 when “Theme from Picnic” was still new to our ears. Apart from the tasteful content, listen to the sound of an electric guitar that no other guitarist has ever been able to capture. You can play Chet's signature model Gretsch Country Gentleman through a Fender tube amp (I have one from 1960, the “Tremolux”) and you can never replicate this sound. Ask any of today's finger style giants, including Australia's Tommy Emmanuel and Doyle Dykes (I helped arrange both of their recent visits to Winnipeg) and they will agree: “How did Chet get this sound? Warmth, bell-like clarity, and absolutely flawless techniques – all of which, every single phrase, he invented. Pardon the aside. Listen to this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZZswlalyo

A review I wrote for “Chet Atkins in Hollywood,” arranged by Dennis Farnon younger brother of Robert (Great Songs from Great Britain) Farnon. They had one other brother who was musical director for Nat King Cole during his Vegas days. Can't recall his name, but at last report he was the family's lone survivor and living in The Netherlands. I know, more info than anyone needs. “You've got to stop writing,” says my Irene. “Go take a nap.”

Oh yes, my all time favorite album cover, Chet's then brand new Country Gentleman suspended above a night time Hollywood sky. I look at it and suddenly it's 1958 again!

https://www.amazon.com/Chet-Atkins-Hollywood-plus-Other/dp/B00EYXTXSY/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1550848944&sr=1-1&keywords=Chet+Atkins+in+Hollywood+CD

My review of 17 years ago (February 2002) is gone (along with previous editions of “In Hollywood.” Ah well. Here's what I wrote:

----

The previous reviewer will be pleased to learn that the version he enjoyed so much when he was young is the other one ("limited availability") here at Amazon.com--- produced by Classic Records (24 K gold) with the original album cover, featuring not the gorgeous woman shown here, but the best-looking Chet Atkins Gretsch Country Gentleman guitar ever made, superimposed over a night time Hollywood skyline. And the information source at JVC mentioned in the previous review, is confused about which recording came first.

As a fan who first treasured this album on its release more than 40 years ago (it was recorded October 23, 1958) I can assure any would-be purchasers that the Classic Records version (which costs a bit less I see) is far-and-away the best of the two. I've been listening to the samples offered for the JVC version and sure enough it's the later recording released in 1961. Chet took the tapes of the Hollywood studio orchestra (arranged by Dennis Farnon) back to his home studio in Nashville and three years later re-did his guitar work---not at all successfully in my opinion, and I believe my view would be shared by most musicians who compare the two versions.

Now this is odd: Previously, whenever Chet re-recorded something, the subsequent version had better sound quality and---more importantly---featured better 'licks.' A prime example is his own composition "Country Gentleman." The original recording featured Jethro Burns on mandolin, and wasn't bad, but the next version (he did three, the last with the Boston Pops orchestra) his second rendering for the terrific "Mr. Guitar" album was both better recorded and featured much more sophisticated picking---intelligent, humorous, simply wonderful. So what happened in the case of this, my favorite of his albums "In Hollywood"? On the second recording (offered here on JVC) the guitar track was much less inspired, thin sounding, lackluster---downright insipid in many spots. On the original, 1958 recording (again the one offered by Classic Records) the picking is, I think, the most beautiful work Chet ever accomplished. He used techniques the likes of which I've not heard since (and I have virtually every record he ever produced).

For those who have both versions: Listen to the meaty, sweeping sound of his chords near the middle of "Meet Mr. Callaghan" or the sprightly inventiveness to the original improvisations and the ending on "Armen's Theme" (written incidentally by Ross Bagdasarian of "The Chipmunks" fame). Or notice the galloping triple-note picking that ends the earlier version of "Let It Be Me"---joyful, sparkling, brilliant! To paraphrase the wonderful liner notes by George Barker, then of the Nashville Tennessean, great music never dies; it just keeps on producing goose pimples.

A guitar expert friend of mine at Funky Junk in Georgia informed me that Chet switched to a lighter guage of strings for the 1961 re-recording. Which would explain at least why the "masculine" meaty sound of the original went missing in the follow-up version.

Make no mistake: If you never heard the original, you would cherish 'version B' I'm sure. But then, you'd never know what you'd missed. If you want to hear an electric guitar laugh, weep, and transport you to world that's gone with the wind----listen to what Chet accomplished that October day in 1958 with an all-star orchestra. In fairness to the JVC version, they probably provided the names of all the musicians, which I saw this week for the first time ever--listed at another Internet site. These talented musicians all went on to record with a 'Who's Who' of America's greatest artists, everyone from Frank Sinatra and Ella, to Bill Evans, (and even Frank Zappa!) If it turns out JVC is responsible for making that musicians' list available, I'll wind up purchasing their version of this album, if only as a 'thank you.'

The original vinyl album also listed the composers of each song, including Fats Waller (Jitterbug Waltz), Charlie Chaplin (Limelight Theme, also called Eternally) and the great South American Manuel Ponce (Estrellita). Regrettably the Classic records version did not have that listing----a disservice to composers and lyric writers who wrote these great songs. Or these days does no one care enough any more to ask "Who wrote that Song?"

Mark Blackburn
    Winnipeg Canada

FLASH FORWARD to present moment: (November 15, 2015) You can now obtain the desirable version in the recent "Chet Atkins 8 Classic Albums" box set. Superb value and great sound!

19. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
    So what a treat, to hear the gentle voice of “Tony Russell” (an actor?) Did he host a “Playing Favorites” show?
    Not an actor. See earlier post in thread: —> Re: Playing Favorites with Tony Russell

Bob.

Playing Favorites with Debby Boone
    Week of February 25, 2019

Debby Boone's Selections:
    Bless the Beats & the Children - Debby Boone
    Be Careful, It's My Heart - Rosemary Clooney
    Here's to Life - Shirley Horn
    The Nearness of You - Frank Sinatra
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most - Kat Edmonson
    I'm an Ordinary Man - Shelly Manne/Jack Sheldon
    An Occasional Man - Anita O'Day/Cat Tjader
    All I Need is the Girl - Frank Sinatra
    Hello Love - Blossom Dearie
    Till - Debby Boone
    Smile - Lyle Lovett
    How Insensitive - Frank Sinatra
    Like a Woman - Rosemary Clooney/Perez Prado
    The Touch of Your Lips - Pat Boone
    I've Got a Crush On You - Frank Sinatra
    Last edited by Leigh Ann; 02-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Leigh Ann