Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #5 (Jan 2008) "Songs For Young Lovers..."

Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #5 (Jan 2008) "Songs For Young Lovers..."

....Swing Easy

from the introductory thread in the series...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    I've noticed that a lot of members often say that they feel, well maybe not intimidated, but not too sure of themselves to post within the Frank Sinatra sections of the forum, given the knowledge and experience of so many of the fine Sinatra experts and admirers that inhabit the forum.

With this in mind, and also to get some further postings from longer term members who may want to add thoughts again, I personally thought it a good idea to suggest a Frank Sinatra album of the month for the next few months to get us all back in the swing of things, preferably LPs that will be familiar to most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    What a joy it is. It's mere presence in our lives lifts us up. It truly was a gift from FS to us.
    A New Year, New Beginnings

When Frank's first long player for Capitol "Songs For Young Lovers" was released in January 1954, a new chapter began; not only in the life and art of Sinatra himself, but in the history of recorded popular music. With "Songs For Young Lovers" Frank and his collaborators practically invented the modern LP and popular music would never be the same again. Twinned by Capitol with the equally sublime "Swing Easy" for later releases, you also get two for the price of one in our discussion for the first "Album Of The Month Club" selection of 2008. So Get Happy and drop your thoughts in the thread.
    sooner or later we all make the little flowers grow

These two albums were Frank's first at Capitol and are an excellent choice to beginning the year. Both albums are great... Songs For Young Lovers has the wonderful song I Get A Kick Out Of You, the only version in which he sings the original lyrics about cocaine. And Swing Easy is one of Frank's best swing albums, it swings without being loud. I know I'll be listening to these albums a lot this month.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

I would say owning and enjoying these seminal LP's are similar to having the Rookie year baseball cards for DiMaggio or Ted Williams - except for the fact that FS's career was so layered and extensive, he was in fact a 13 year veteran of major recordings by 1952. Produced in his prime vocal years, the glorious ballads contained on these albums maximize "The Voice" and definitively secure his legend.
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.reverbnation.com/Soundslikefrank/songs

Obligatory Links

Frank's Recordings : Songs For Young Lovers & Swing Easy (1954)

From The Early Capitol Days (or: 54 years ago TODAY, Frank recorded...) :

(The latter thread will be receiving an update at the end of this week, to mark the anniversary of the release of Sinatra's first Capitol LP, Songs For Young Lovers, on January 4, 1954.)

Of Course,

I own it, it was written for us as we were married January 1954.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

I adore these two albums back to back, they sound so clean and pure, small intimate orchestrations, almost pop chamber music in scale, that compliment a rejuvinated voice maturing into something beyond other vocalists right before our ears.

I was reluctant to get this CD at first because I didn't like the concept of two albums in one package... just bothered me for some reason (still does)... so I left it on the shelf and came home to research it and found out that they were, in fact, packaging it that way and it was a great way to go... So I went back and got it and have been thrilled with it since...

Of note, on a particular summer day in the one campground in Maryland, I had this one playing loudly in the trailer while making dinner and a couple from Virginia stopped by... they were in their sixties or so... They told me they had met at some air force dance in the mid-60s and 'Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams' was the song that was playing when their eyes first met that day. They were both huge Frank fans... and they have played his music every day since.
    Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

I'm listening to both of these great albums right now... Swing Easy is such a happy album.
    Allen

9. Great selection of tunes, and I have them both on one 80-minute minidisc for listening in the car, but as the extended versions each containing 12 songs, as explained by Bob here.
    Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8

10. Excellent choice, Marty. Will listen to it tomorrow.

That CD is in my top five of Sinatra albums. His first two Capitol LP's (from the 10 inch LP days) on one CD. Along with such early Capitol as I've Got the World on a String, Don't Worry 'Bout Me, The Gal that Got Away and My One and Only Love, they introduced the CAPITOL SINATRA SOUND and the Sinatra/Riddle sound.

This disc includes the definitive versions of such as A Foggy Day, I Get A Kick Out of You, My Funny Valentine, They Can't Take That Away from Me, Just One of those Things and All of Me and are songs that became part of Frank's book from then on. He re-recorded some of them later, but these are definitive.

With these two albums, Frank Sinatra was back, big time, and they were just the beginning.

Thumbs up Frank Sinatra : Album of the Month Club #5 "Songs for Young Lovers/Swing Easy"

Good lunchtime from a chilly part of The American Midwest-USA:

Great choice, Marty !!! As Nancy has already said, It's his gift to us.....

When I first heard it I was just coming off of my only suicide attempt and I can't describe how ashamed I was back in 1964 or 1965 when I began to realize there was so much more singing to do.

I'm just so glad he chose those songs, those songs for sure...I used to swim underwater and try to sing those songs....I learned them all and fortunately, still have the LP s.....

Yes, Marty, great choice....thanks...

THAT'S SOME BAD HAT, HARRY !!!
    Respectfully,
    The journey's long, much longer that I reckoned, in any throng, I'd know her in a second......

slight sidebar

Doug, I always enjoy the individuality of your posts, you should really contribute more and more to the forum, you are an absolute delight to read.

and now back to our regularly scheduled thread

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    With these two albums, Frank Sinatra was back, big time, and they were just the beginning.
    I've said it before...but I wonder what the "suits and ties" @ Columbia thought when they first heard these 2 LP's!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paulmock View Post
    I've said it before...but I wonder what the "suits and ties" @ Columbia thought when they first heard these 2 LP's!!!!!

Right Paul. Those "suits" actually heard such as Birth of the Blues, Why Try to Change Me Now, I Could Write a Book, etc, that Frank recorded for them just a few months before going to Capitol. Their judgement was that Frank was all through and that was the end. The term "empty suits" was not in use then, but it applies. It was all for the best, though. Columbia did not have anyone like Riddle, May or Jenkins on board. A change was called for and the music continued for more than 40 more years.

<< Columbia did not have anyone like Riddle, May or Jenkins on board. A change was called for and the music continued for more than 40 more years.>>

yes great way of looking at it. Capitol was the best movie Sinatra could have made.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Swoonergirl View Post
    << Columbia did not have anyone like Riddle, May or Jenkins on board. A change was called for and the music continued for more than 40 more years.>>

yes great way of looking at it. Capitol was the best movie Sinatra could have made.
    I totally agree with that one! Thank God he did what he did.

Just giving this thread a bump.
    Allen

glad you did, allen, nice thread.

i didn't know that this version of 'i get a kick out of you' is the only one where he sings the original 'cocaine' lyrics.. interesting! He never went back to them , even singing live? Didn't know that...

great albums, of course.. and the two 'mini-albums' fit well together - one of his great album collections to be sure!

-mike

***i didn't know that this version of 'i get a kick out of you' is the only one where he sings the original 'cocaine' lyrics.. interesting! He never went back to them , even singing live? ***

But yes, he did. Sinatra went back to them many times, especially in concert (right down to the 90s), sometimes altering the line into "some dig that terrible cocaine" or "some take the/that cocaine from Spain".

Bernhard.