Page 51 of 379 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 7571

Thread: Today in Frank Sinatra history

Quote Originally Posted by voice1 View Post
    I've read this account before but today it's even more painful. RIP.
    I agree, Rick.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

R.i.p. Mrs. Dolly Sinatra.
    Andrea
    Living well is the best revenge.

It's such a powerful reminder to us all; anything you'll wish you had said or done for those we love...there will be no better time than the present.

R.I.P., Mrs. Dolly Sinatra.
    David B.

January 7th

(From the Guestbook page and the online book Frank Sinatra: An American Legend by Nancy Sinatra )

JANUARY 7, 1989: Frank, Lucille Ball and Jerry Weintraub chaired the JINSA/Roast/Tribute to Sonny Golden at the Century Plaza in Los Angeles.

JANUARY 4–9, 1987: He was in Hawaii to guest star... [See January 4th]

JANUARY 6–12, 1983: Dad returned to Caesars Palace.

JANUARY 7–13, 1982: During an engagement at Caesars Palace, my father traveled to Los Angeles to attend the wedding of Dean Paul Martin to Dorothy Hamill on the 8th. On the 10th he traveled to Palm Springs for a benefit for Temple Isaiah at the Sheraton Plaza.

JANUARY 3–9, 1980: He kicked off the year at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

DECEMBER 29, 1978–JANUARY 7, 1979: Dad worked through the New Year's holiday... [See December 29th]

JANUARY 5–FEBRUARY 1, 1966: Frank Sinatra and Count Basie at the Sands in Las Vegas... [See January 5th]

JANUARY 7, 1962: He produced and starred in Sergeants 3, his second Summit movie. This one was a tongue-in-cheek remake of Gunga Din with American Indians. Dad, Dean and Peter played a trio of Army buddies caught up in the Indian wars of the late 1800s. Produced on location near Kanab, Utah, it also featured Sammy Davis Jr., Joey Bishop, Henry Silva, comics Buddy Lester and Sonny King and Ruta Lee. Dad did his own stunts—even the one where he's being dragged under a wagon while Dean is inside it. Dad said, "I didn't mind the dragging, but what really bothered me was the way Dean kept stomping on my fingers as he was thrown back and forth."

JANUARY 7, 1952: In the first of only four recording sessions for Columbia this year, Dad sang "I Hear a Rhapsody," "I Could Write a Book" and "Walkin' in the Sunshine," the first two with the Jeff Alexander Choir.

SAMMY DAVIS JR. ON FRANK'S DECLINING FORTUNES: Around 1952, Frank's career took a nosedive. His radio and television shows were off the air and his record soles began dropping. The Will Mastin Trio, in the meantime, was going great. We were a hit in Hollywood. One day I got a cablegram: THE REVIEWS WERE GREAT. KEEP IT UP. FRANK. Here was a guy with his whole world falling down around him, taking the time to send me his congratulations.

FRANK JR. ON THE DECLINE OF SINATRA'S RECORDING CAREER: Pop's old-style records—Sinatra singing good music with good arrangements—wasn't working anymore. Meantime, the power structure in the record business was changing, too. Dad's experience was that if you were a bandleader or a solo singer, you had control over what you recorded. Now the word was, "Butt out." The A&R—Artists and Repertoire—man was in charge. At Columbia, that was Mitch Miller. He told Pop to record a song using a washboard. Pop said, "Mitch, really? A washboard?" The song was "Tennessee Newsboy." Pop recorded it.

DECEMBER 18, 1940–JANUARY 14, 1941: Frank Sinatra returned to New York... [See December 18th]

[Dates of new entries highlighted in blue]

Sometimes when preparing these Today in FS History posts, some of Nancy's book entries which do not appear on the Guestbook page are overlooked and noticed later.

This is just to point out new additions to December 25th (Christmas 1961) and January 1st (January 1989).

JANUARY 7, 1952: In the first of only four recording sessions for Columbia this year, Dad sang "I Hear a Rhapsody," "I Could Write a Book" and "Walkin' in the Sunshine," the first two with the Jeff Alexander Choir.
    The later Columbia recordings may have been from a low point in Frank's career but you wouldn't know it from listening to them and they are some of my favorites. Songs like Castle Rock, Deep Night, Don't Ever Be Afraid To Go Home, Azure-Te and Why Try To Change My Now. Also, during this period his voice and style was beginning to change into what it would become at Capitol.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Sorry

to be late, rest in prace Mrs. Dolly Sinatra, you are missed and loved by all.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by SinatraFan View Post
    The later Columbia recordings may have been from a low point in Frank's career but you wouldn't know it from listening to them and they are some of my favorites. Songs like Castle Rock, Deep Night, Don't Ever Be Afraid To Go Home, Azure-Te and Why Try To Change My Now. Also, during this period his voice and style was beginning to change into what it would become at Capitol.
    So true, Allen. I love 's "transitional voice" whether between Columbia and Capitol or Capitol and Reprise. "Why Try To Change Me Now" is a fabulous song!

January 8th

(From the Guestbook page and the online book Frank Sinatra: An American Legend by Nancy Sinatra )

JANUARY 7–13, 1982: During an engagement at Caesars Palace... [See January 7th]

JANUARY 5–FEBRUARY 1, 1966: Frank Sinatra and Count Basie at the Sands in Las Vegas... [See January 5th]

DECEMBER 18, 1940–JANUARY 14, 1941: Frank Sinatra returned to New York... [See December 18th]

January 9th

JANUARY 9, 1993: The Career Achievement Award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival was bestowed on my father at the Riviera Hotel. Preceding the presentation of the award was an hourlong tribute with Robert Wagner serving as master of ceremonies. The tribute chronicled Dad's career through a number of his film clips, including scenes with Laurence Harvey in The Manchurian Candidate, Shirley MacLaine in Some Came Running and Montgomery Clift in From Here to Eternity. At the ceremony, George Sidney, who directed Dad in two musicals, Pal Joey and Anchors Aweigh, paid him the ultimate compliment: "His first take is better than most people's tenth. He always went for the best and took risks."

JANUARY 9, 1963: Dad flew east to attend Marty and Dolly's 50th wedding anniversary.

FS at his parents' anniversary dinner.
    He later recalled, "My mother had the
    most musical laugh. She was wonderful."

JANUARY 9, 1962: Despite their mutual independence, Dad and Juliet Prowse were becoming closer as the months wore on. Time magazine reported that to celebrate their relationship, he took her to a quiet dinner at Romanoff's and slipped an elegantly beautiful diamond ring on the third finger of her left hand. When word of their engagement got out, he said to reporters: "Juliet has been my one romance. I'm 46 now—it's time I settled down."

Juliet Prowse with Dad in costume at
    the annual Boomtown party benefit
    for SHARE.

JANUARY 9–10, 12, 16, 1956: With Nelson Riddle, Dad recorded a new album, Songs for Swingin' Lovers!, which included not only "You Make Me Feel So Young," "I Thought About You," "Anything Goes" and "We'll Be Together Again" but also a last-minute number arranged on the way to the studio: "I've Got You Under My Skin." Sinatra fans have voted it the best song he ever sang. It was released in March.

FRANK JR. ON AN UNFORGETTABLE NIGHT IN THE STUDIO: They'd been told how many songs to put on the album, and they were following instructions. They were supposed to finish the album on Friday night. Thursday, in the middle of the night, the A&R department called Sinatra and said, "We need three more songs for Swingin' Lovers. He says, "This is a helluva time to tell me." He called Nelson, who was living out in Malibu, and woke him up. Told Nelson they need three more arrangements. The next night coming in from Malibu for the final date, Nelson's wife was driving and he was in the back seat with a flashlight still writing out the parts. One of those arrangements was for "I've Got You Under My Skin." At the studio Nelson got up and started to conduct. Nelson Riddle was the kind of a guy, well, a volcano would go up next to him, he'd say, "How about that?" Absolutely unflappable. Now, Nelson conducted the set, and after they'd rehearsed "I've Got You Under My Skin," everybody just sat there. It was an old song, been recorded a thousand times, not a new song, right? But all the women had tears in their eyes and the whole orchestra, when they were done playing, stood up and applauded. For Nelson Riddle. This doesn't happen. But Nelson, he just stood there with cigarette ashes on him and said, "Yeah, how about that?"

JANUARY 9, 1947: In the new year's opening session at Columbia studios in New York, Frank recorded the first of an incredibly prolific 71 songs he would turn out in 1947. Among them were "Always," "I Concentrate on You" and "My Love for You." The year also produced "Almost Like Being in Love," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," "The Nearness of You," "But Beautiful," "All of Me," "Laura," "None but the Lonely Heart," "Fools Rush In," "Body and Soul" and "Autumn in New York."

Bob - Thanks for all of this, most of which I read in Nancy's book, but it's good to reflect on it again. And that picture of Marty Sinatra - Frank was a carbon copy of his Father.

I remember I was at work in Washington when a co-worker called me to offer me condolences on Dolly Sinatra's death. (She remembered I had called her about the death of Freddie Prinz.)

I appreciate all the time you take to find and post info like this. Thank you.

Joan
    Joan
    "Don't be trapped by dogma which is living as the result of everyone else's thinking" - Steve Jobs

You're welcome, Joan, but the thanks should go to . I just copy and paste from what's always been available on this site, as indicated at the top of every post.

January 10th

JANUARY 10, 1981: He performed at Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. He continued doing these concerts for five years, raising enough money for a new wing, which was named for him.

JANUARY 10–22, 1975: Back at Harrah's in Lake Tahoe.

JANUARY 9–10, 12, 16, 1956: With Nelson Riddle, Dad recorded a new album... [See January 9th]

JANUARY 10, 1944: Dad was on the air in the middle of a radio show broadcast live from Hollywood when Franklin Wayne Emmanuel Sinatra was born at Margaret Hague Hospital 3,000 miles away in Jersey City. The next day, press photographers crowded around my mother's bed to snap close-ups of mother and child. He was named Franklin after President Roosevelt and Emmanuel after his dear friend Manie Sacks. But everybody called my brother Frank Jr.

Mom holding my newborn baby brother,
    Frank Jr.: "...I wonder what he'll think
    of me; I guess he'll call me the old man.
    I guess he'll think I can lick every other
    fella's father. Well, I can..." (Soliloquy
    from Carousel)

Unringing the bell

Franklin Wayne Emmanuel Sinatra [...] was named Franklin after President Roosevelt
    From another thread a couple of years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    A few years ago we looked it up because none of us was certain about the Franklin name. He was christened Francis Wayne and not Franklin.

Apparently it was my dad who wanted to call him Franklin after FDR but Mom won. Since I had always been told it was Franklin, I actually put that in print in my books so the confusion is my fault. I'm sorry. This is an example of "you can't unring a bell."

Birthday wishes for Frank Jr. here: Happy Birthday Frankie

16. The Emmanuel was for Dad's great friend, Manny Saks.

January 11th

JANUARY 11, 1984: FS and Buddy Rich appeared at the Hyatt Regency Houston, Texas, for the Wortham Theater Center Benefit for Arts and Humanities.

January 12th

JANUARY 12, 1991: At the American Cinema Awards, Frank presented the Humanitarian Award to Leo Jaffe.

JANUARY 12, 1985: In New York City, he performed on the Cerebral Palsy Telethon.

JANUARY 12, 1984: He performed at the Reunion Center in Dallas, Texas.

JANUARY 12–18, 1978: Another week at Caesars.

JANUARY 12, 1977: We joined Dad in a Palm Springs funeral service to bury his beloved mother beside her husband. That moment was almost certainly the most painful one of his life.

At his mother's funeral.

JANUARY 12, 1977: My grandmother's funeral was a requiem High Mass at St. Louis's Catholic Church in Cathedral City. Danny Thomas, Dean Martin and Jilly Rizzo served as pallbearers. His friends and family offered the only comfort my father could find in those dark days.

JANUARY 1977: Dad began a new life. I had trouble coming to grips with the fact that his expressive love for my mother had not led to their remarriage. Finally, I resolved that his affection for her was genuine and would continue forever, yet it took time to understand its depths and limits. But what made things more difficult was that shortly after my grandmother's death, Barbara requested that Dad get his marriage to my mother annulled so they could marry in a Catholic ceremony. I found the concept of annulment shocking, and my brother, sister and I were concerned about how it would affect our mother.

JANUARY 12, 1967: FS hosted a big party at the Eden Roc Hotel in Miami Beach to celebrate the 65th birthday of his friend, boxing great Joe Louis.

JANUARY 9–10, 12, 16, 1956: With Nelson Riddle, Dad recorded a new album... [See January 9th]

JANUARY 12, 1950: In Frank's first concert in two years, in Hartford, Connecticut, Variety announced that the take was his biggest ever: $18,267 for two days.

19. JANUARY 1977: ... But what made things more difficult was that shortly after my grandmother's death, Barbara requested that Dad get his marriage to my mother annulled so they could marry in a Catholic ceremony. I found the concept of annulment shocking, and my brother, sister and I were concerned about how it would affect our mother.
    It crushed her, and the rest of us. We were incredulous. How could the church have allowed it? The witch paid for it with money raised by FS for the charity a crooked priest ran. It was a low point for all of us and I will never forgive the church for allowing such a travesty.

Though she was not able to have a wedding at the altar itself, she made it to the baptismal apse, and this should explain why Mom, my brother, sister and I have been absent from church for the past thirty years. We did go for Dad's funeral but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    It crushed her, and the rest of us. We were incredulous. How could the church have allowed it? The witch paid for it with money raised by FS for the charity a crooked priest ran. It was a low point for all of us and I will never forgive the church for allowing such a travesty.

Though she was not able to have a wedding at the altar itself, she made it to the baptismal apse, and this should explain why Mom, my brother, sister and I have been absent from church for the past thirty years. We did go for Dad;s funeral but that's it.
    Nancy, I'm so sorry for your Mom and all of you.
    This was a terrible thing.
    LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.