Page 1 of 396 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in Frank Sinatra history

1. Today in Frank Sinatra history

TODAY IN HISTORY from Frank Sinatra American Legend

MARCH 3, 1986: FS appeared at a tribute to Spencer Tracy at the Majestic Theater in New York City with Katharine Hepburn. In a letter written to Frank shortly after Spencer's funeral in 1967, Katharine Hepburn wrote: "There is not much one can say. It is sad when one comes to the end of the trail - but Spencer was tired out - and at least no agonies, no anticipation - He liked you very much and I was always grateful to you for the trouble you took. You made him happy."

MARCH 3-14, 1983: He returned for a week at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, then moved on to Harrah's in Tahoe. John Denver filled in for him on the 13th because of Frank's sore throat.

MAR 3, 1978: Back for yet another week at Caesars.

MARCH 3, 1963: He was on the dais with Dean Martin in Los Angeles for an awards dinner honoring one of his great musical inspirations, Irving Berlin, much of whose best work he had recorded over the years.

You can see the events on the guestbook page. They change daily.

Thanks Nancy. I have the book, but this is very nice.
    Jeff

Thanks, Nancy.
    George B.

Thanks for posting that Nancy. It amazes me sometimes how active he was. I think both Spencer and Frank had the same down to earth qualities. I'm not surprised they liked each other.
    The things that we love tell us who we are. Thomas Aquinas

Thanks Nancy!!
    Andrea
    Living well is the best revenge.

Thumbs up

Thank´s, Nancy !
    S V Peluzio Jr

7. MARCH 4, 1946: Frank released his 78 rpm album "The Voice."

MARCH 3-14, 1983: He returned for a week at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, then moved on to Harrah's in Tahoe. John Denver filled in for him on the 13th because of Frank's sore throat.

MARCH 4-17, 1982: He returned to Caesars Palace for a two-week run with Shields and Yarnell and me. He said to me, "Go on tour with me for a year and let's see what happens." We both agreed it would be fun for my kids to see what the road was about, and when they weren't in school they traveled on the road with us.

Another great thread.for
    Mike

Press On....

Thank's Nancy
    Frank Forever

Thank you Nancy -- this is a wonderful thread
    Rhoda

And there used to be a ballpark right here.

terrific!

March 3, 1986- I was in washington for an internship and the lobbyist i worked for attended the tribute to Spencer tracy and brought me back a great poster from the event. the poster has a great picture
    with the following information included

the title of the celebration was
    The American Academy of Dramatic Arts
    presents

A Tribute to Spencer Tracy
    with Miss Katherine Hepburn
    stanley Kramer
    sidney Poitier
    Jason Robards
    Frank Sinatra
    and hosted by
    Robert Wagner

I dont remember what she said about the event but I wish i could have been in attendance

the poster hangs in my room amoung my other sinatra collectables
    I also have the ticket stub

Its been that long ago wow

They were so good together in Devil At 4 O'Clock. Their final scene still gets me every time. I wish they had co-starred in more movies.

Thanks for the post.
    David B.

14. March 5th

I realize some of this is repetitive but the engagements lasted longer than one day so they overlap.

MARCH 4-17, 1982: He returned to Caesars Palace for a two-week run with Shields and Yarnell and me. He said to me, "Go on tour with me for a year and let's see what happens." We both agreed it would be fun for my kids to see what the road was about, and when they weren't in school they traveled on the road with us.

MARCH 5-11, 1979: His next engagement: Philadelphia's Valley Forge Musical Theater.

MARCH 2-8, 1978: Back for yet another week at Caesars.

MARCH 5, 1975: Three new songs were recorded: "Anytime (I'll Be There)," "The Only Couple on the Floor" and "I Believe I'm Gonna Love You." Arrangements were by Don Costa, and the orchestra was conducted by Bill Miller.

March 6th

(Helping Nancy out a little earlier in the day...)

MARCH 6, 1994: Dad collapsed on stage during a concert in Richmond, Virginia.

MARCH 5-11, 1979: His next engagement: Philadelphia's Valley Forge Musical Theater.

MARCH 2-8, 1978: Back for yet another week at Caesars.

MARCH 6, 1952: He guest-starred on NBC television's The Dinah Shore Show.

16. Thanks, Bob. I appreciate the help. I was at the Johnny Grant Memorial and it it's still going on, but I had to leave because I have two shows to record today. Plus a doctor appointment with my mom.

Here's one more that doesn't appear in Nancy's book...

MARCH 6, 1962: On this date the first Capitol era ended officially. In a dual-company recording session at United Recording in Hollywood, FS cut his last contract track for Capitol: "I've Gotta Right To Sing The Blues," arranged and conducted by Skip Martin. Following that, Billy May took the baton for the Reprise recording of "The Boys' Night Out."

18. MARCH 6, 1952: He guest-starred on NBC television's The Dinah Shore Show.
    I have the Classic Duets DVD with FS doing something with Dinah. Is that the same show?

No, Greg. The DVD medley with Dinah Shore was from the TV show, Some Of Manie's Friends, from 1959. See this post: Sinatra: The Classic Duets – DVD Songs and TV Shows.

20. Hey thanks Bob. You even have the air dates of the clips. I'll print it out and put it with the DVD.