Thread: NANCY : TWELVE WAYS (1969)

NANCY : TWELVE WAYS (1969)

NANCY : TWELVE WAYS LP front:

The Nancy Sinatra UK Fan Page
    http://www.movinwithnancy.fsnet.co.uk

LP back:

NANCY SINATRA - NANCY (AKA - NANCY TWELVE WAYS)
    LP - REPRISE : RS-6333 (STEREO) US
    RELEASED: 1969
    CD - SUNDAZED : SC6058 : US/CANADA
    RELEASED: 10 SEPTEMBER 1996
    DIGITAL ALBUM - BOOTS ENTERPRISES, INC. (WORLDWIDE)
    ALL TRACKS DIGITALLY REMASTERED
    RELEASED: 30 JUNE 2005

ORIGINAL ALBUM PRODUCED BY BILLY STRANGE
    BONUS TRACKS PRODUCED BY (13, 15) LEE HAZLEWOOD; (14, 16) BILLY STRANGE

Download from iTunes

Amazon mp3

1. GOD KNOWS I LOVE YOU
    2. MEMORIES
    3. JUST BEIN' PLAIN OLD ME
    4. HERE WE GO AGAIN
    5. MY DAD (MY PA)
    6. LIGHT MY FIRE
    7. BIG BOSS MAN
    8. MY MOTHER'S EYES
    9. I'M JUST IN LOVE
    10. SON-OF-A-PREACHER MAN
    11. LONG TIME WOMAN
    12. FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE
    13. NICE 'N' EASY*
    14. OLD DEVIL MOON*
    15. HAPPY*
    16. HOME*

*BONUS TRACKS NOT INCLUDED ON ORIGINAL ALBUM

Original LP sleeve notes:

It isn't often a girl gets to work with people that she really loves. It was my good fortune to share the making of this album with some of the lovin'est, playin'est, singin'est guys and ladies in our music business. I would like to say thank you to them now.

Hal Blaine - Drums

Don Randi - Piano

Chuck Berghoffer - Bass

Jerry Scheff - Bass Guitar

Carol Kaye - Bass Guitar

Red Rhodes - Steel Guitar

Al Casey - Guitar

Jerry McGee - Guitar

Jim Horn - Flute

Roy Caton - Trumpet (and he's also my copyist)

Sid Sharp - First violin, and all his strings

Les Taylor - Orchestrator

and a thank you to the Blossoms and the B. J. Baker Singers;

and too, to Eddie Brackett, first engineer; and Ben Jordan, Sol Weiss, and Winston Wong, second engineers;

and to Ron Joy, my favorite photographer, and Ed Thrasher, art director;

and to all the people who wrote these yummy songs;

and most of all to Billy Strange, guitarist, conductor, arranger, producer, and cherished friend.

I Love You All

Nancy... twelve ways

Purchase Nancy - Twelve Ways at Amazon.
    Download NANCY SINATRA's latest album, SHIFTING GEARS, now!Download from iTunes Download this album from Amazon.

6. Bump.

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware & Don't Despair

7. I didn't know that the album was also call "Twelve ways".
    I have a copy both in LP an CD and never find the mention of that.

A good album but I prefer Boots and Nancy in London for example.
    Pierre

Nancy singing "Memories"

I'm listening to Nancy sing a tune I only heard by Elvis previously - and I LOVE the song (Memories) no, not the "Cats" one - and Nancy is singing the bejeezus out of it and I'm lovin' it. "Just Bein' Plain Old Me" is track 3, jazzy, breathy and bluesy with a sweet guitar part, "Here We Go Again" is track 4. Ray has to be smiling. Dec 5th would have been MY DAD'S 96th birthday (1909) and I thought of him all day yesterday and when I sang at a Greek restaurant last night I knew I was fulfilling one of his dreams that raising six children precluded his pursuing. Track 6...Light My Fire, Light My Fire...light it light it...go girl... this cd is makin' me Track 7 "Big Boss man" would be the man of the moment I think.
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.reverbnation.com/Soundslikefrank/songs

I'm glad you discovered this album, George. I remember when it first came out I was disappointed. I was young, loved rock and roll and this album was too mellow, too different from Nancy's earlier albums. As I've grown older, I appreciate it much more.

NANCY by NANCY - I loved the whole cd

Nancy's "For Once In My Life" was lush. "Nice n Easy" and "Old Devil Moon" is so mainstream and uncharacteristic of what one would expect, but Nancy shows her versatility and sings fabulously on all of them. "My Mother's Eyes", I only knew when people parodied Georgie Jessell - it is obviously a serious and beautiful song and Nancy evokes a LOT of emotion with her version!
    A reviewer at Amazon really says what I feel about "Home":
    "Tying with "Memories" for best song here is "Home." This stark tearjerker is her song for the soldiers in Vietnam, wondering if "there'll be a tomorrow/and will they ever see their home and their family/oh will ever be back home?"

This is just Nancy singing, accompanied only by a guitar. The poignant final verse of this song captures just how many casualties incurred in that terrible conflict. "And every day some young man dies. And every night some young girl cries. He'll never hear his baby's laughter. He'll never ever see, his home and his family. Or what he's done for you and me. But I guess he's on his way back home."

I also enjoyed reading the great two page insert by Chuck Granata, "The Many Faces Of Nancy" - a Converation with Nancy Sinatra and Billy Strange! The cd "Sugar" arrived in the mail today also!! Keep singing, Nancy!!!

HOME

The song HOME written by Mac Davis, is haunting. It still applys today, what a shame.

NOTE: There are two different versions of HOME. One has more background music.
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

Tying with "Memories" for best song here is "Home."

Go to Nancy's website, click on Sound+Vision, click on Nancy's Jukebox (upper right corner), and a list of songs will come up in a new window. "Home" is one of the choices. You need QuickTime™ to listen.

She also sang this at The Wall on Memorial Day 2003.

Pack a small bag....

Great Link, Ace!

Nancy's singing her heart out and these biddies behind her are yakking it up and totalling dissing her efforts; I thought Nancy turned around a couple of times to give 'em a hint but they didn't get it...."Born to be Wild" and Bob Dylan and Mac Davis covers a lot of musical turf !!

Veteran's Best Friend

Nancy Sinatra

15. It also has one of the most beautiful covers.
    chad
    "Come Home to NOLA"
    My email is: chadham6@msn.com

Ace's Link

Not only is it almost 30 minutes of pure Nancy, but I love the minimal instrumentation (just guitar and bass). It puts my favorite instrument, Nancy's voice, front and center just like on some of my favorite recordings. It made me think how great it would be if Nancy did an acoustic album. Her voice has so much subtle nuance and style, it should always be the focus of her recordings.
    We will prove our love is a lasting thing

17. Oy vey! I hate that it's still up there. I never sang so out of tune in my life! ACE - I may have to give you a few demerits.

No engineer, no lights except brother Sun, too much wind, minimal instrumentation.... I'm here to tell ya you sounded terrific, looked terrific, and did our vets proud. I know, I was there.

Demerits, eh???
    Pack a small bag....

19. ...Looks and sounds great to me too !!!
    Ron

Is Nancy too critical of herself?

Because I love this video and I'm grateful to have it. Nancy fans are too deprived as it is. The market is beseiged by Britney, Jessica and Ashlee videos, cds, posters, etc. Not the most down to earth gals. Nancy sings "live", never claims acid reflux, and always dazzles. She's yummy and any protests from her (or anyone else) to the contrary I refuse to hear!!!
    We will prove our love is a lasting thing