Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #10 (June 2008) "Ring-A-Ding-Ding"

Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #10 (June 2008) "Ring-A-Ding-Ding"

I'm no Mr. Sarbob So I won't be getting all technical and reeling off mind boggling info.....which BTW is very much appreciated chaps.

I was in two minds as to whether to have this album as my choice for album of the month, I've probably talked it to death over the last few years..LOL - BUT I love ALL the albums from Capitol and just couldn't single out just one SO I chose this one - my ultimate favourite Reprise album.
    I especially LOVE the song "Tina" on this album - (JOKE Ron and Bob LOL!)

"Ring-A-Ding-Ding"

This was Franks' first album for Reprise originally released in March 1961 and remastered in 1998.

To me this has to be one of the most happiest, swingiest albums Frank ever recorded.....
    Each song tells a story of a man in love...something we can all relate to I'm sure.

I feel it's a little bit English too.

It's also a great album for anyone who's just getting into Frank, and fun to dance and sing along to.

A lot of discussion has been made about the sound quality of this album - wouldn't it be great if they could remaster it to the quality of the new release "Nothing But The Best" this has also been discussed a little on the "Echo (or re-verb) " thread.

If you've not heard this album I suggest you take a listen - You definitely won't be disappointed.

" RING-A-DING-DING"
    " LET'S FALL IN LOVE
    " BE CAREFUL, IT'S MY HEART"
    " A FOGGY DAY"
    " A FINE ROMANCE
    " IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT"
    " THE COFFEE SONG
    " WHEN I TAKE MY SUGAR TO TEA"
    " LET'S FACE THE MUSIC AND DANCE"
    " YOU'D BE SO EASY TO LOVE"
    " YOU AND THE NIGHT AND THE MUSIC"
    " I'VE GOT MY LOVE TO KEEP ME WARM"

I simply couldn't choose a favourite song from this album they all have a special meaning to me.

As quoted from Chuck Granatas' book "Sessions With Sinatra " - One of Franks favourite sayings...

"Ring-A-Ding-Ding " roughly translated as " Look out , we'll be having one mothery gasser of a time !"

Ain't that the truth....ENJOY!

Excellent choice, Tina! It's one my favorite Reprise albums, too. There's just so much energy and fun in every song... Frank really swings on this album and he couldn't sound any better.

Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Thanks for adding the link Allen, I still haven't mastered how to do that YET!

Wow. We're on the 10th month of this already? My how time flies.

Last night I had to move my parents' truck at my son's game... Of course, I switched their Sirius to Siriusly Sinatra... and after the game ended, we got in our respective vehicles and the song that was just starting was Ring A Ding Ding... I saw my mother boppin' her head with the beat.

I love this album... for exactly the reasons Tina stated... it's just so happy and upbeat and never fails to put me in a great mood. It's what I made dinner to tonight, also.

Great choice, Tina.
    Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

5. Thumbs up

Thanks, Tina! I love this album.

6. Thumbs up

There's just so much energy and fun in every song...
    Took the words out of my mouth, Allen. I love this CD and it was one of the first CDs that I loaded on my iPod.

Here's a larger cover image as befits Frank's first Reprise album. (If a mod wants to move this into Tina's starter post, that would be fine with me.)

[Image moved above]

Great pick there Tina. This is a fun album.
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    I'm no Mr. Sarbob

10. Bob, why was that image moved? I assume it was the album art for Ring-a-ding-ding.

I asked for it to be moved. It's in the top post now, Greg.

P.S. THAT'S what the LP cover really looked like! The impact is lost on the compact disc form factor.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I asked for it to be moved. It's in the top post now, Greg.

P.S. THAT'S what the LP cover really looked like! The impact is lost on the compact disc form factor.
    Oh. I thought maybe it was a different picture. ThankS

Thanks chaps, anyone else like this album......anyone?

14. I would agree with most I have seen on here, it is one of Frank's best! It is also one of my favorite albums of his. It is definitely in the top 5 on my list and swings as hard and happy as anything else in the "swing" category. As I commented before on the main thread, I can really hear the exuberance and excitement in his voice on this, his inaugural album for his OWN label!
    Brad

All or nothing at all!

15. Dad was so happy and excited when Reprise was born and it shows in his performances on this great album. He knew he would at long last own his own masters!

"I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm" is one of my favorites of all time.
    Mike

Press On....

Nice Choice!

This CD was my very-first Sinatra "Concept" album. I bought the EOC edition in the Fall of 1998 at the old HMV on 34th Street in NY. It was in the discount bin, so it was probably 10 bucks, or so! In fact, this was my only Reprise concept album. I decided soon thereafter that I had to get the Complete Reprise set, and so I wouldn't have to find the individual albums. Besides, the Wife may have objected to buying the Big Box if I had too many of the recordings already!

This is a really fun album to listen to. Johnny Mandel did an excellent job with these charts, and it is quite different than Sinatra's previous readings on some of these songs.
    Tim

But then, this monday morning quarterback never lost a game...

Quote Originally Posted by SinatraFan View Post
    There's just so much energy and fun in every song...
    Great choice. I agree with Allen.
    Itīs nice to listen this album while driving.
    S V Peluzio Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    Thanks chaps, anyone else like this album......anyone?
    Yes, very much. I think "In the Still of the Night" is one of Frank's very finest songs/performances...

excellent choice Tina! I love this album I can play it on repeat for hours. My fave tracks are "when I take my sugar to tea" and "be careful it's my heart".