Thread: Frank Sinatra : 80 Years My Way (1995)

Sinatra: 80 Years My Way

I searched and didn't find a thread for this special. Did I miss it?

I've been converting old VHS tapes to DVD and watched this 80th birthday special over the weekend (along with the American Masters hosted by Mel Torme). I thought the performances were by and large pretty good, although Bruce Springsteen's version of Angel Eyes and Ray Charles' Ol' Man River were the highlights for me.

Frank Sinatra : 80 Years My Way (1995)

Re: SINATRA: 80 YEARS MY WAY (1995)

The only thing I could find in a very quick forum search was this post:

The program was taped November 19, 1995, at the Heinz Pavilion of the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles by ABC-TV for later broadcast on Sinatra's 80th birthday.

Performers honoring Frank Sinatra included: Tony Bennett, Bono, Ray Charles, Natalie Cole, Bob Dylan, Danny Aiello, Vic Damone, Tony Danza, Dennis Franz, Robert DeNiro, Eydie Gorme, Steve Lawrence, Luis Miguel, Patti LaBelle, Little Richard, Peggy Lee, Sharon Stone, Chazz Palminteri, Tom Dreesen, Tom Selleck, Walter Cronkite, Paul Reiser, Don Rickles, Bruce Springsteen, Gregory Peck, and many others.

FS did not perform, except to join the others on stage for the closing line of "(Theme from) New York, New York" at the end of the show.

[Marty may want to move this post to start a new thread.]

Bruce Springsteen: Angel Eyes
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Montage (Career)
    Natalie Cole: They Can't Take That Away From Me
    Roseanne
    Ray Charles: Ol' Man River
    Dennis Franz
    Montage (It Was A Very Good Year)
    Tommy Lasorda
    Salt-N-Pepa: Whatta Man
    Hootie & The Blowfish: The Lady Is A Tramp
    Robert Wagner
    Patti LaBelle: The House I Live In
    Bono: Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
    Tony Danza: Our Love Is Here To Stay
    Angela Lansbury
    Moulin Rouge Can-Can Dancers
    Tom Dreesen
    Little Richard: That Old Black Magic
    Tom Selleck
    Montage (Frank's Fights)
    Luis Miguel: Come Fly With Me
    Paul Reiser: Frank's Hats
    Montage (Co-stars)
    Danny Aiello & Chazz Palminteri
    Tony Bennett: I've Got The World On A String
    Gregory Peck
    Paula Abdul: Luck Be A Lady
    Don Rickles
    Vic Damone, Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme: Sinatra Medley
    Norm Crosby
    Bob Dylan: Restless Farewell
    Finale: New York, New York

The one thing about this program that I find most conspicuous is there are none of Frank's children on that stage. Certainly, Nancy and Frankie would have "had a song in their hearts" if the production of this program had been a little more even handed. And I do believe Tina speaking of her father would be a lot more relevant than a few words by Paul Reiser.

But "as the days dwindled down to a precious few", a certain former showgirl from Missouri, saw one more opportunity to ring the register.

As much as Mr. Sinatra loved his children, I would image that any 80th birthday celebration "He" planned (public or private) would include his kids.

Dean

5. You'd have to ask the stepmother about that one.

From reading Tina's book, this show was the last thing The Man wanted.
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

7. uhhh, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    You'd have to ask the stepmother about that one.
    I wouldn't waste my breath on that woman

Yes, I heard that Mr Sinatra was not too keen on this celebration
    As a Sinatra fan , I of course watch the show for a least a glimpse of him. The show was so so.
    To me having Ray charles, Tony Benett and Gregory Peck pay tributes was the highlight of this celebration
    I was especially moved By Mr Peck's words

Angry Tina's book and barbara :(

Quote Originally Posted by voice1 View Post
    From reading Tina's book, this show was the last thing The Man wanted.
    Ive not yet read Tina's book. I am currently bidding for it on ebay!
    My father always used to say Barbara was making him work so she could have the money.
    I never realised how true that was until recently
    Was this special the last time FS
    appeared on tv?
    Sonia

Sonia

Did you win the bid on Ebay ?
    Frank Forever

Exclamation Not yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Did you win the bid on Ebay ?
    There is still 2days 11hrs 20mins left but im in the lead!
    Sonia

13. The trick to winning on the 'Bay is to enter your bid in the last 15-20 seconds with the maximum amount you're willing to pay. Two days is plenty of time to get outbid.
    Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8

Hi Sonia let me know if you get the book
    Frank Forever

I just watched part of this again...and I felt so badly for Mr. S. Some decent performances, but it had to have been the most unbearable few hours of his life.

Interesting to find a bit of TV tape on Youtube, taken from the show's masters, if that's the right word. Shows each of several cameras views, simultaneously. One shot is on FS's table, the whole time. It starts when Don Rickles introduces a segment with Steve, Eydie, and Vic. Sinatra nibbles on some nuts or something. Then, not too interested in the singers, he lifts a glass of some smokey colored beverage [I can only guess its Jack]. As he sips, the person sitting next to him puts her hand on on the top of the glass, and moves down to the table, as he continues to hold it. Her face comes into the shot as she leans to his face and she appears to say to him, "Stop it!". Crushed me to see his expression. Like, he would rather be home, in Palm Springs, and having a drink, than at that show. I'll try to wipe this picture away now by watching his 1979 Party at Caesars! Now that was a party show!
    Michael