Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month #19 (March 2009) "Trilogy"

Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month #19 (March 2009) "Trilogy"

I have chosen "Trilogy..Sinatra..Past, Present & Future".

I personally happen to love this work by Francis Albert Sinatra. So ahead of his time. I have to sit and and listen to the entire LP.

Beginning: Record One: "The Past" , Frank Sinatra with Billy May ; Songs include, " The song is You" , "But Not For Me", "I Had The Craziest Dream" , "It Had To Be You" , "Let's Face The Music and Dance", Side Two: "Street of Dreams" , My Shining Hour" , "All Of You" , "More Than You Know" , "They All Laughed"

Record Two: "The Present" . Some Very Good Years by Frank Sinatra with Don Costa ; Side Three: "You And Me (We Wanted It All)" , "Just The Way You Are " , "Something" , "MacArthur's Park" , "Theme from New York, New York". Side Four: "Summer Me , Winter Me" , "Song Sung Blue" , "For The Good Times" , "Love Me Tender" , "That's What God Looks Like".

Record Three: "Reflections on The Future In Three Tenses" , Frank Sinatra with Gordon Jenkins ; Side Five: "What Time Does The Next Miracle Leave?", "World War None", "The Future" Side Six: " The Future (continued) ", "I've been There!", "The Future (conclusion), "Song Without Words". "Finale" Before The Music Ends.
    Produced by Sonny Burke . Recorded by Reprise Records 1979-1980, Recorded Shrine Auditoruim, Los Angles, CA. USA on 12/17 & 12/18.
    Reflections "The Future" What Time Does The Next Miracle Leave?

"My Name is Francis Albert Sinatra and I sing Love Songs!"

I reached the age of forty somewhat sooner than expected. and when the music ends, I'd like it to end this way---- SINATRA! SINATRA! SINATRA!

Thumbs up

Excellent choice, Lee!

This was an ambitious project by Frank and it turned out to be one of the best albums of his career! It must have been an exciting time when this album was released. I have the original LPs and it's great to play them once in awhile.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Thanks for your selection, Leatrice

Link to the Frank's Recordings thread on Trilogy... Here

4. Excellent choice, Lee. A great CD and I enjoy it so much.

5. Wonderful, dear Lee. Thank you so very much. You gave us three albums in Trilogy.

Fabulous choice, Lee.
    I remember purchasing this thick LP in 1980.
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.georgelyons.net

See this post for information about the liner notes, which earned a Grammy for David McClintick in 1980:

A copy of McClintick's essay has returned online for the month of March: Odyssey To Trilogy.

Smile Allen,

I purchased this album in 1980 when it was released. I truly love it and thank you for the comments. My hopes are that everyone will have the pleasure of listening to it. Hugs!
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by SinatraFan View Post
    It must have been an exciting time when this album was released.
    It had been a long six years since Frank Sinatra's last US LP release. "Exciting" is an understatement. The anticipation was enormous, and FS fulfilled all expectations with this triple album.

Cool Marty,

It was my pleasure to be the guest host for the album this very special month of March. Thank you for allowing me to do this. Hugs!

Wonderful choice, Lee....This is truley a gem of an album. It was a very special album because Frank recorded some songs here that futher expanded his greatness. A few of my favorites on this album that Frank never sang before include "You and Me (We Wanted It All)", and "Just the Way You Are".
    ~Robert
    "I like the sunrise"

I listened to a few of the songs earlier today....nice choice Lee.

Lee,
    Thank you for your choice for March. It is one that I have never re-purchased on CD so I really need to spend some time with again.
    Mary

Album of the month now and it was for sure the album of the year in 1980. What a relief after a long drought. Wish he'd followed with a dozen or so more.

Some wonderful music on that album, especially on disc one. "Trilogy" masterpieces include More Than You Know, My Shining Hour, New York, New York, I Had the Craziest Dream and You and Me. And yes, there is fine music on disc three also, even though I don't think the concept works all that well.

"Trilogy" is the one Reprise concept album I don't have on CD so it is annoying that Reprise pulled all their Sinatra CD's with no warning. I have the 20 CD box, but the tracks are all out of order on all the albums in that big box. Frank selected that order for good reasons and the Reprise bureaucrats changed it. Where are all those CD's that were yanked from stores?

Good selection Lee. Trilogy is one of my favorite FS albums and my favorite song from Trilogy is "All Of You".
    Gary
    Cha Bobba

It really was an exciting time when Trilogy was coming out and then it came out and I was so keen back then I made sure I got my first copy on the day of release. There were two editions of the LP available and I had them both. The first was the US import and then the UK edition which was in a somewhat squarer LP package but they all had much the same content. I also bought the Tape Cassette when it first came out and that had its own black cardboard box, inside of which were the three plastic cassette boxes. Ofg course I have that still somewhere, but I have long since moved on to listening mainly to the CD's

I thought the opening track from Disc one was a smash and I also liked most of the tracks from all the six sides of the three albums.

Of course on Disc two, "You and Me" , "Something", "Summer Me, Winter Me" and "New York New York" stood out but I really loved the sound of Frank's voice on "MacArthur Park" too.

Disc 3, "The Future" is also quite special and I loved it when the Orchestra warms up and then Frank comes in singing with "My Name Is Francis Albert..."

"World War None" is also a great piece with a very important message and I really love the way Frank sings it.

Much comment was made at the time about how much Frank's singing had improved vastly since he first came out of retirement, due to his busy concert schedule and, indeed, the performances all around on this album were really excellent and in some cases nothing less than superb. However, having said that, I feel I must also qualify what I say by backing up what I have said on other threads previously, which is that in my opinion there had been some noticeable degradation in the quality, smoothness, depth and power of Frank's voice by 1979/80 and that, all in all, his voice itself was, I think, in better shape back in 1973 on "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back". I still stand by that opinion even now.

I have not listened to the whole of Trilogy all in one go for some time now which is a real shame because it is an album set that is worthy of listening to regularly.

Jeffrey

Thanks Lee. I love that he sang some chestnuts that he hadn't recorded previously on this album. I remember the album as somewhat controversial.

Larry

Smile Thank you Bob,

for you information and your kind comments. I know exciting is not the correct word for this most wonderful album, it is one of my favorites.

Smile Glad you enjoyed my choice,

Nancy,. 1980 seemed to be the three LP Trilogy that I love so much.

Smile Thank you for Gregory

and George. so glad you enjoyed this album as much as I have. Hugs!