Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month #20 (April 2009) "She Shot Me Down"

Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month #20 (April 2009) "She Shot Me Down"

When the Reprise catalog joined the digital world a couple of months ago, I ran across one album that staggered me, on first listen I knew I needed to write about it.

Dating to the early 80's FAS took us back one more time to the end of the bar and the guy bending the bartenders ear, just one more time.

The lyrics of the album shot through me at first listening from the shaking the head thoughts of "Good Thing going", the defiance of "South to a warmer place" and "Hey look,no cryin".The lryics of regret in "Monday Morning QB" and the lyric of what comes next, when the bar closes and "A Long Night" truly begins.I think you could argue "I Loved her" is one of the best saloon he'd ever sang. "She was Mozart/I was Basie" just incredible song writing. One of the sadder loses of the digitial age is the credits to the point where you easily find out who penned these amazing words.

Also on this album is "Thanks for the Memory", not at all the meaning taken for Bob Hope's theme song, but a masterpiece .

The lyricsts and the singer take control on this album, I am proud to present it for the month of April.

Great choice, Rick. Until Marty does his mod magic, people may be wondering what the title is, though.

This is the existing thread in Frank's Recordings: She Shot Me Down

Great choice...

One of my most treasured albums and not just because of the cost ! LOL!

Love it.....sad but beautiful. Every song a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by RickinKs View Post
    I think you could argue "I Loved her" is one of the best saloon songs he'd ever sang. "She was Mozart/I was Basie" just incredible song writing. One of the sadder losses of the digitial age is the credits to the point where you easily find out who penned these amazing words.
    It was the same fellow who arranged, conducted, and composed the music: Gordon Jenkins.

Incidentally, "I Loved Her" was written for and first performed (by Phil Harris) on a 1968 TV episode of The Lucy Show. I kid you not.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

Incidentally, "I Loved Her" was written for and first performed (by Phil Harris) on a 1968 TV episode of The Lucy Show. I kid you not.
    Is that right? I am so used to hearing Phil sing, "That's What I Like About the South."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes, and it waa a 45 RPM single by Phil. It used to get some radio airplay but never became a hit. There was at least one other recording of the song before Frank got to it. Was it Jack Jones? I don't remember. But Phil Harris's version was lovely. A big hit for Phil was "The Thing." I'd love to see that "Lucy" episode.

As far as "She Shot Me Down" is concerned, if any Sinatra album cries for reissue, this is it. It was not a big seller when the LP was released in '81. When the CD came out, it went out of print very quickly and now is availablle only as a donwload. When I first heard this album, I felt that his best singing on it was on "Momday Morning Quarterback" and "Hey, Look, No Crying." He was in exceptionally good voice on those two. I later learned that he recorded them at a session following his 9/10/81 Carnegie Hall Concert in which he was also in excellent voice and form (I was there).

A reissue with just a little promotion and maybe some bonus tracks such as the version of "Everything Happens to Me" that he recorded for the album but was omitted and the piano only versions of "Empty Tables" and "Send in the Clowns" and the Ogerman arranged "Like a Sad Song" from a few years earlier. These all fit the album's concept, are all rare and as far as I can remember, available only in the 20 CD box.

If there are any negatives about the album, they are: it's too short, is no longer available and could have used a another standard or two as a mix with so many new and little known songs. Frank was really working on "She Shot Me Down." This saloon song album is a work of art and it's unfortunate that it did not sell better and that it has not been around for a long time.

Good choice for album of the month.

Excellent choice for album of the month, FINALLY!! This classic is certainly on my top 5 of my all time favorite personal FS albums. The recordings are impeccable and flawless, the cover of the album is in my opinion the best album cover ever made in music history, and the arrangements, production and conducting is meticulous! I just love and adore this album and it has taken me to many places that I've never been before and has taken me out of certain situations that I thought I would never get out of.
    Frank wherever you are, Thank You for such a beautiful classic masterpiece!!

The album was made not too far after Frank's last movie, The First Deadly Sin and after that, the interview with Larry King. It was all around the same time pretty much.

8. Great post and wonderful choice, Rkks. Thank you for taking time to do this when you are not feeling good.

It’s almost inconceivable that FAS could follow up Trilogy with an album of this caliber
    Good Thing Going
    Warmer Place
    The Gal That Got Away / It Never Entered My Mind
    It’s like a Beatle Album, every track a winner, every track memorable
    I’m glad my Dad lived just long enough to hear Trilogy; he would have loved this one equally
    t

I wish I owned this album. My mom does and I've listened to every tune countless times. Every one of them beautiful.

Good Thing Going, I Loved Her and Hey Look, No Crying are my favorites.

I've had the LP since the 1980's, but now since it's available on Itunes for download, I can now listen to this classic in my car and online. It brings a whole new dimension to the album and it actually feels like the album just got released all over again. I much prefer the way all albums sound on LP rather than CD for obvious reasons, but it is so great to be able to listen to this particular classic in the car and on online.

This is one of my favourite albums, although one of the few I only have on CD not LP (since Ive seen the price of having to rebuy it if I scratched it up I use a copy I burnt from the suitcase, but with Everything Happens to Me added; its split across 2 discs on that set annoyingly). As said before though the cover is great on this so I will look out for the LP on ebay. Good Thing Going is one of the best highlights for me.
    I read somewhere when this was issued a number of fans said they cried when listening to it for the first time, I can see why (in a good way!) its the Wee Small Hours for the 80's.

Terrific Album

I recall hoping for quite awhile for Frank to record an album reminiscent of his "torch themed records" and man was this one worth the wait. Sinatra/Jenkins. Maximum Torch.

Jayeff

I only have these songs on my beloved Reprise trunk. I've been listening to them today in honor of your selection, Kansas Rick. Yes, it is spread between two discs, but I ended up listening to the rest of the music on #19 and #20, which was fine by me.

Smile Really love this LP

I have had it forever.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

SHE SHOT ME DOWN (1981)

"Good Thing Going (Going Gone)" (Stephen Sondheim) – 3:53
    "Hey Look, No Crying'" (Jule Styne, Susan Birkenhead) – 5:27
    "Thanks for the Memory" (Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger) – 4:25
    "A Long Night" (Alec Wilder, Loonis McGlohon) – 3:44
    "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" (Sonny Bono) – 3:24

Side two

"Monday Morning Quarterback" (Don Costa, Pamela Phillips-Oland) – 4:38
    "South - To a Warmer Place" (Wilder, McGlohon) – 3:45
    "I Loved Her" (Gordon Jenkins) – 4:04
    Medley: "The Gal that Got Away"/"It Never Entered My Mind" (Harold Arlen, Ira Gershwin)/(Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) – 5:05

track 1 arranged and conducted by Don Costa
    track 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 arranged and conducted by Gordon Jenkins
    track 9 arranged by Nelson Riddle, conducted by Vincent Falcone jr.

Hey Look, No Cryin' , Monday Morning Quarterback...this album is just great.
    He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

Another excellent album of the month! This one album I listen to a lot, especially late at night. Frank was in excellent voice during these recording sessions and every song, even those not included on the album, are wonderful! I don't have the CD, so I've constructed the album from the Reprise box set and I've also added the 1981 version of Everything Happens To Me to the end of the album, it's a perfect bonus track.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

It's still going for a ridiculous price on e-bay but I'll be getting a digital copy on iTunes later, can't wait. I love the medley which I have on Everything Happens To Me.
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    When the CD came out, it went out of print very quickly and now is availablle only as a donwload.
    Yes, although as has been noted elsewhere on the forum, the version of "Hey Look, No Cryin'" available with the download is the longer "suitcase" version and not the original album version. Wish that could be corrected.