Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nancy's Singles Discography

Nancy's Singles Discography

Nancy's four U.S. picture sleeve singles

This thread (inspired by the release of Cherry Smiles: The Rare Singles) surveys Nancy's 7-inch vinyl singles, as well as CD, cassette, cartridge, flexi-disc, and digital (download) singles. Unless otherwise noted, these singles are the U.S. releases. Nancy's non-U.S. 45 picture sleeves are displayed in the International Nancy thread. Non-U.S. releases featuring recordings or versions that were not originally issued in the U.S. are included and highlighted in blue. For the following posts, I have divided the chronology into seven sections, based on production, label, and format considerations.

Section A: Reprise 45s, Part One (1961-1965)
    Section B: Reprise 45s, Part Two (1965-1968)
    Section C: Reprise 45s, Part Three (1968-1971)
    Section D: RCA, Private Stock, and Elektra 45s (1971-1981)
    Section E: Digital Era Releases (1995-2016)
    Section F: Reprise Jukebox EPs and Warner Bros./Reprise Promotional EPs... Plus...
    Section G: Reissues

Release information is listed in the following manner:
    Catalog # Title (Year Of Issue)

[PS] designates a record which was released in a picture sleeve.
    Images of picture sleeves, labels, music industry ads, sheet music covers, and jukebox title strips are displayed in corresponding posts.

RIAA Gold Singles Certifications are highlighted in gold. In the 1960s, gold plaques were awarded to artists for singles sales in excess of 1,000,000 units.

Nancy On The Charts Week-By-Week: Billboard Hot 100, Billboard Top 40 Easy Listening, and Cash Box Top 100 chart information can be found here, beginning in Post #67.

The Seeburg "Stereo Showcase" Jukebox, model SS 160, which also appears with Nancy in Section F of this thread
    Last edited by AndrewT; 04-01-2016 at 09:14 AM.
    Andrew

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section A

Reprise 45s, Part One (1961-1965)

With the exceptions of "True Love" and "To Know Him Is To Love Him," the recordings on Nancy's early singles are contained on the Bubblegum Girl, Vol. 1 and Bubblegum Girl, Vol. 2 collections. The remixed version of "True Love" (in wide stereo and extended by 15 seconds) is included on the Sheet Music CD (1998). "To Know Him Is To Love Him" has not had an authorized release in any digital format.

Italian recordings: "Pensa A Me," the Italian vocal version of "Think Of Me," originally released in Italy in 1962, made its worldwide digital debut in 2005 as part of Bubblegum Girl, Vol. 1. "Ecco La Sposa" (aka "Ecco Esposa/Espossa"), the Italian vocal version of "There Goes The Bride," was first released on Bubblegum Girl, Volume 2. See Section B for the release of "Vero Amore," "True Love" sung in Italian. (Additional details can be found in Pensa a Nancy in Italia.)

The Billboard Book Of Number 1 Hits offers this observation:

"A full-page ad [pictured below] in the August 14 [1961] issue of Billboard introduced her [Nancy's] first single, 'Cuff Links and a Tie Clip,' promising 'the biggest DJ tumult in years is about to begin!' They were right about the tumult, they were just five years off."

Songwriter credits follow the titles. Unless otherwise noted, producer and arranger/conductor credits apply to both the A-side and B-side titles.

20,017 Cuff Links And A Tie Clip (Aaron Schroeder - Wally Gold) / Not Just Your Friend (Laraine Darby - Joy Darby) (August 1961) [PS]
    ________Producer: Tutti Camarata
    ________Conductor: Tutti Camarata

20,045 To Know Him Is To Love Him (Phil Spector) / Like I Do (Dick Manning)(January 1962)¹

20,097 June, July And August (Russell Faith - Robert P. Marcucci) / Think Of Me (Russell Faith - Richard V. DiCicco) (July 1962)
    ________Conductor: Nick Perito

R 02.011 June, July And August + Pensa A Me ("Think Of Me" sung in Italian) / Think Of Me ("Pensa A Me" sung English) (1962, Italy) [PS]²

20,127 You Can Have Any Boy (Buddy Kaye - Philip Springer) / Tonight You Belong To Me (Billy Rose - Lee David)
    (November 1962)³
    Side A___Producer: Don Costa
    ________Conductor: Nick Perito

Side B___Producer: Tutti Camarata

20,144 I See The Moon (Meredith Willson) / Put Your Head On My Shoulder (Paul Anka) (February 1963)

20,188 One Way (Nancy Sinatra) / Cruel War (Traditional) (June 1963)

0238__ Thanks To You (Ben Raleigh - John Gluck, Jr.) / Tammy (Jay Livingston - Ray Evans) (November 1963)

0263__ Where Do The Lonely Go? (Michael Leonard - Barbara Lee James) / Just Think About The Good Times (Irwin Levine - Francine Levine - Bob Brass - Al Kooper)
    .............(February 1964)
    _________Producer: Don Costa
    _________Arranger/Conductor: Don Costa

0292__ There Goes The Bride (Philip L. Barr - Wilbur Meshel) / This Love Of Mine (Frank Sinatra - Barry Parker - Henry W. Sanicola) (July 1964)
    _________Producer: Don Costa
    _________Arranger: Don Costa

0335__ True Love (Cole Porter) / The Answer To Everything (Bob Hilliard - Burt Bacharach) (January 1965)
    _________Producer: Jimmy Bowen
    _________Arranger/Conductor: Ernie Freeman

¹The labels on U.S. Reprise 20,045 list "To Know Him Is To Love Him" as the A-side, and "Like I Do" as the B-side. However, the January 20, 1962 issue of Billboard, in its "Reviews of New Singles," indicates that "Like I Do" is the A-side. Following Nancy's international commercial triumphs with the single, Reprise reissued 20,045 in the U.S. (with "Like I Do" as the A-side" this time), as evidenced by ads in the February 23, 1963 issues of Billboard and Cash Box.

²The track sequence on the Italian picture sleeve (1. "Think Of Me," 2. "June, July And August," 3. "Pensa A Me") differs from the 45's actual configuration as noted above.

³Billboard's November 17, 1962 review and comments from Reprise's national promo director Ernie Farrell ("Reprise’s Ernie Farrell buzzes that there’s been instant response to Nancy Sinatra’s latest, 'You Can Have Any Boy'" [Cash Box 11-24-62]), indicate that "You Can Have Any Boy" was the U.S. A-side.

Cuff Links And A Tie Clip / Not Just Your Friend

Left: This August 14, 1961 Billboard ad heralded Nancy's debut as a recording artist.
    Right: Regarding the then-forthcoming release of "Cuff Links And A Tie Clip," a "Spotlight" column in the June 30, 1961 issue of Life Magazine introduced Nancy with this image by photographer Leigh Wiener, and declared, "...Reprise expects Cuff Links to draw the kids."

In her 1985 book, Frank Sinatra, My Father, Nancy shares the excitement of hearing her recording of the rhythm and blues song "Not Just Your Friend," the flip side of "Cuff Links," on the radio:

"The first time I heard the record on the radio I was in the car listening to my favorite station, KCMJ, which featured mostly black artists. The deejay said, 'Here's Frank Sinatra's daughter's first effort.' I was so startled to hear my R & B song played on this station and so thrilled to hear myself on the radio, I drove straight to KCMJ and got the disc jockey's autograph (talk about young)."

Picture sleeves accompanied only four of Nancy's U.S. 45 records, three original releases and one reissue. "Cuff Links" was not only Nancy's debut single, but also her first picture sleeve.

Like I Do / To Know Him Is To Love Him

Although "Like I Do" was not a commercial success in the U.S., it was a big international hit during 1962 and '63. The May 26, 1962 issue of Billboard reported Top 10 chart positions for "Like I Do" in Italy and South Africa. Later in 1962, it was also a Top 10 hit in Holland. In early 1963, it was a chart success in Japan. Weekly chart positions for Italy, South Africa, Holland, and Japan can be found in Post #72.

The charts from May 26,1962 are pictured (left and right), with the February 23, 1963 Billboard ad for the U.S. reissue and the U.S. 45 in its company sleeve (center).

You Can Have Any Boy / Tonight You Belong To Me

Nancy's recording of Patience & Prudence's 1956 hit "Tonight You Belong To Me" was a "Best Seller" in Japan, charting in the Top 10 in April 1963. In the U.S., Nancy had appeared on Cash Box's December 1, 1962 "Radio Active Chart" ("a feature designed to indicate which new records key radio stations in every important market throughout the country have added to their play list during the preceding week"). See Post #73 for more information.

"You Can Have Any Boy" was previously recorded by Juliana: arranged and conducted by its writers, Buddy Kaye and Philip Springer, and produced by Hugo & Luigi, for a 1961 RCA Victor single (47-7906).

Nancy has commented on her 1962 Don Costa-produced cover version:

In 2002, Nancy shared this perspective:

One Way / Cruel War

"Some people say that love is a passing fling
    And then they warn you don't give your heart away,
    But we will prove our love is a lasting thing
    Just made for two, for me and you."

[lyrics from "One Way" by Nancy Sinatra]

With its youthfully optimistic lyrics, "One Way" represents one of two self-penned recordings by Nancy. The other, "It's Spring," (also recorded in the early 1960s) was not released until 2005, on Bubblegum Girl, Vol. 2. "One Way" is contrasted by its flip side, Nancy's moving cover of Peter, Paul and Mary's adaptation of the traditional folk song "Cruel War." Here are a promo label and a jukebox title strip.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 09-06-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Added an explanatory paragraph for the Italian recordings.
    Andrew

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section B

Reprise 45s, Part Two (1965-1968)

The "DJ tumult" described by the Billboard ad began here. These singles cover the era of the musical triumvirate of Nancy, Lee Hazlewood (as producer), and Billy Strange (as arranger/conductor).

In addition to its original 45 release, "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" b/w "The City Never Sleeps At Night" was issued in the "Pocket Disc" format, a type of flexi-disc. Pocket Discs were manufactured by the Americom Corporation in the late 1960s for Reprise Records and several other major labels. These flexible discs are 3 and 7/8 inches in diameter and play at 33 and 1/3 rpm.¹ See Section F for The Sound Of Warner/Reprise/Atlantic Starring... promotional Pocket Disc.

During these years, some of Nancy's recordings were released as Muntz Mini-Pak singles. Designed by Earl Muntz as an alternative to vinyl 45s and EPs, these 4-track, stereo tape cartridges hold up to four songs. Because this singles format was produced for a brief period of time, Nancy's Mini-Pak releases are extremely rare. Titles and catalog #s (for the releases which I have been able to locate, so far) are listed in the footnotes for this section.²/³

Unless otherwise noted, these titles were produced by Lee Hazlewood and arranged/conducted by Billy Strange.

0407 So Long, Babe (Lee Hazlewood) / If He'd Love Me (Mirriam Eddy [aka Jessi Colter]) (October 1965)

0432 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Lee Hazlewood) / The City Never Sleeps At Night (Lee Hazlewood) (December 1965)
    .........RIAA Gold Single Award (Certification Date: February 25, 1966)

0461 How Does That Grab You, Darlin'? (Lee Hazlewood) / The Last Of The Secret Agents? (Lee Hazlewood) (April 1966)

Paramount Pictures Presents 'The Last Of The Secret Agents' Theatre Lobby Spot (Coming Soon) / 'The Last Of The Secret Agents' Theatre Lobby Spot (Now Playing) (c. May 1966, promo)

0491 Friday's Child (Lee Hazlewood) / Hutchinson Jail (Lee Hazlewood) (July 1966)

0514 In Our Time (Lee Hazlewood) / Leave My Dog Alone (Lee Hazlewood) (August 1966)

0527 Sugar Town (Lee Hazlewood) / Summer Wine (Lee Hazlewood) ["Summer Wine" by Nancy & Lee] (November 1966)
    .........RIAA Gold Single Award (Certification Date: April 3, 1967)

Windsor Court ZTSC-125998~9 Windsor Court Presents Stagg Starbeat With Jim Stagg: Dave Clark Five Interview / Nancy Sinatra Interview (1966, promo)

0559 Love Eyes (Lee Hazlewood) / Coastin' (Lee Hazlewood) (March 1967)

0561 Somethin' Stupid (C. Carson Parks) [by Nancy & Frank] / I Will Wait For You (Norman Gimbel - Michel Legrand) [by Frank] (March 1967, withdrawn)
    Side A_Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Lee Hazlewood
    ______Arranger: Billy Strange
    Side B_Producer: Jimmy Bowen
    ______Arranger: Ernie Freeman

0561 Somethin' Stupid (C. Carson Parks) [by Nancy & Frank] / Give Her Love (Jim Harbert) [by Frank] (March 1967)
    Side A_Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Lee Hazlewood
    ______Arranger: Ernie Freeman

.........RIAA Gold Single Award (Certification Date: April 19, 1967)

NS100 You Only Live Twice (With Special Introduction: Pye Records Theatre Trailer) (John Barry - Leslie Bricusse) / single-sided (c. June 1967, U.K. promo)

0595 You Only Live Twice (John Barry - Leslie Bricusse) / Jackson (Jerry Leiber - Billy Edd Wheeler [as "Rogers-Wheeler" on the 45 label]) ["Jackson" by Nancy & Lee] (June 1967)

0620 Lightning's Girl (Lee Hazlewood) / Until It's Time For You To Go (Buffy Sainte-Marie) (September 1967) [PS]

0629 Lady Bird (Lee Hazlewood) / Sand (Lee Hazlewood) [both by Nancy & Lee] (October 1967)

0636 Tony Rome (Lee Hazlewood) / This Town (Lee Hazlewood) (November 1967)

Garrison System, Inc. 1036/1037 "Famous American Stars" Series Presents An "Interview Special" With Nancy Sinatra: Complete Interview / Open-End Interview (For broadcast before Dec. 10, 1967, promo)

0651 [DJ] Some Velvet Morning (mono) / Some Velvet Morning (mono) [both by Nancy & Lee] (December 1967, promo)
    0651 Some Velvet Morning (Lee Hazlewood) / Oh Lonesome Me (Don Gibson) [both by Nancy & Lee] (December 1967)⁵

0670 100 Years (Lee Hazlewood) / See The Little Children (Lee Hazlewood) (March 1968)

R 02104 Vero Amore ("True Love" sung in Italian) (Elda Mari - Cole Porter) / 100 Years (Lee Hazlewood) (June 1968, Italy; "12/6/68" is stamped between the 45's run-out grooves.) [PS]⁶
    Side A__Producer: Jimmy Bowen
    _______Arranger: Ernie Freeman

0756 Happy (Lee Hazlewood) / Nice 'n' Easy (Lew Spence - Alan Bergman - Marilyn Keith [Bergman]) (July 1968)

¹Reprise / Americom Pocket Disc:
    0432P These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / The City Never Sleeps At Night

²Reprise / Muntz Mini-Paks:
    45-107KC In Our Time / Leave My Dog Alone
    45-113KC Sugar Town / Summer Wine
    4RK-0595 Jackson / You Only Live Twice
    4RK-0620 Lightning's Girl / Until It's Time For You To Go

³Reprise / Muntz Mini-Twin (EP):
    MT-E-107 Nancy Sinatra's Giant Hits: "Jackson" / "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" / "Sugar Town" / "Summer Wine"

⁴The Boots album (Reprise 6202) was certified gold ($1 million in sales for LPs) on November 7, 1966.

⁵The Nancy & Lee album (Reprise 6273) was certified gold on November 19, 1970.

⁶"Vero Amore" has not been released in the U.S.

These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / The City Never Sleeps At Night

In Frank Sinatra, My Father, Nancy recalls the single's chart success:

"I had promised my dad the first number one for his label. I was, in fact, off by one record. Old friend Dean Martin's 'Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime' was the first [the week of August 15, 1964]. 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'' was the second [the week of February 26, 1966]."

A December 25, 1965 Billboard "Spotlight Singles" review proclaiming, "...Miss Sinatra has top of the chart potential with this fine folk-rock material from the pen of Lee Hazlewood," and the January 22, 1966 "Winners!" ad (below, left) predicted the single's great impact. Also pictured are the sheet music, the A-side label from the original 45, and the B-side label from the Pocket Disc release.

How Does That Grab You, Darlin'? / The Last Of The Secret Agents?

As the highly successful follow-up to "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'," "How Does That Grab You, Darlin'?" was in a similar vein, with Red Rhodes' dobro complementing Nancy's vocal, as Chuck Berghofer's quarter-tone bass run had done on "Boots." Pictured: Sheet Music (left); labels (center); the April 9, 1966 ad (right).

'The Last Of The Secret Agents' Theatre Lobby Spots

On this promotional 45, which was played in movie theatre lobbies, the motion picture's stars, Marty Allen and Steve Rossi, talk about the film. Clips of Nancy's recording of the theme are included. The program repeats twice on each side. This Paramount Pictures record has no catalog designation; "P-Secret Agents Lobby A" and "P-Secret Agents Lobby B" are marked in between the run-out grooves on sides A and B, respectively. Displayed above the 45's labels is the Paramount Merchandising Manual and Press Book's description.

Lightning's Girl / Until It's Time For You To Go

"Better stop your groovin' round
    Some other rooster's hen,
    If Lightning ever catches you
    He's got to do you in,
    (spoken) In about two minutes!"

[lyrics from "Lightning's Girl" by Lee Hazlewood]

In the liner notes for the Sundazed CD release of How Does That Grab You?, Nancy describes "Lightning's Girl" (a bonus track on the CD) as, "snarky." That attitude is also conveyed by the single's picture sleeve, Nancy's second in the U.S. The September 2, 1967 Billboard ad, noting Nancy's "hit streak," appears on the left; the September 16, 1967 full-page "Lightning's Girl" ad, center; and the 45 picture sleeve, right.

Lady Bird / Sand

Also in the How Does That Grab You? CD liner notes, Nancy reflects on the significance of "Sand":

"Everybody likes the song 'Sand.' I think it's a real fantasy/fairy tale kind of recording. A lot of that was Billy Strange's arrangement. The combination of talents painted pictures that drew you in, absorbed you. You could bring your own experience to it, or you could take the song into your own relationship and act accordingly. 'Sand' was Lee's 'Norwegian Wood.'"

Identical photographs, with monochromatic variations, appear on the sheet music for the single's songs. This photo also appears on the back cover of Nancy's Country, My Way album.

"Famous American Stars" Series Presents An "Interview Special" With Nancy Sinatra

This 7-inch, 33-and-1/3 rpm single promoted the Movin' With Nancy television special. Side 1 features Nancy's "complete" interview with commentator Dick Strout. Side 2 contains the "open-end" interview "for use with local commentator."

100 Years / See The Little Children

"I'm not gonna say everything is OK
    'Cause OK is not the way that I feel,
    I'm not gonna be any fool's Christmas tree
    Let 'em hang gifts on me that aren't real."

[lyrics from "100 Years" by Lee Hazlewood]

Billboard's March 16, 1968 "Top 60 Pop Spotlight" recognized the single's power:

"Driving blues ballad with strong lyric line. Flip is a poignant all-programming ballad, beautifully performed. Both are equally potent sales items."

Here are a trio of "100 Years" labels (the earlier red label, the later "steamboat" label, and the white promo label) and the March 30, 1968 ad for a trio of new Reprise releases.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 08-03-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Date stamp in the run-out grooves of "Vero Amore."
    Andrew

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section C

Reprise 45s, Part Three (1968-1971)

Beginning with these releases, Nancy's singles became more diverse stylistically, as they featured a variety of producers and songwriters.

0789 Good Time Girl (Mac Davis [aka Scott Davis on the 45 label]) / Old Devil Moon (E. Y. Harburg - Burton Lane) (November 1968)
    Side A_Producer: Billy Strange
    Side B_Producer: Lee Hazlewood

0790 Whatever Happened To Christmas? (Jimmy Webb) [by Frank] / I Wouldn't Trade Christmas (Sammy Cahn - Jimmy Van Heusen) [by the Sinatra Family] (December 1968)
    Side A_Producer: Don Costa
    ______Arranger: Don Costa
    Side B_Producer: Sonny Burke
    ______Arranger/Conductor: Nelson Riddle

Reprise-Teldec RA 0791 Kids (Mac Davis [aka Scott Davis on the 45 label]) / It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year (Chip Taylor - Al Gorgoni [Only Chip Taylor is listed on The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry ..........Christmas LP]) (December 1968, Germany)¹
    ______Producer: Sonny Burke

0813 God Knows I Love You (Delaney Bramlett - Mac Davis) / Just Being Plain Old Me [The Nancy LP liner lists the title as "Just Bein' Plain Old Me"] (Lawrence Castleman) (February 1969)
    ______Producer: Billy Strange

0821 Here We Go Again (Red Steagall - Don Lanier) / Memories (Mac Davis - Billy Strange) (April 1969)

0851 Drummer Man (Murray Wecht) / Home (Mac Davis - Larry Collins [only Mac Davis is listed on the 45 label]) (September 1969)²

20869 The Highway Song (Kenny Young) / Are You Growing Tired Of My Love? (Anthony King) (October 1969, U.K.)³
    _______Producer: Mickie Most

0880 It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year (Chip Taylor - Al Gorgoni [Only Chip Taylor is listed on The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas LP]) / Kids (Mac Davis [aka
    .........Scott Davis on the 45 label])
    (December 1969)
    ______Producer: Sonny Burke

0890 [DJ] I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band) (stereo) / I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band) (mono) (February 1970, promo)
    0890____I Love Them All (The Boys In The Band) (Sandy Linzer) / Home (Mac Davis - Larry Collins) (February 1970)
    Side A_____Producer: Bob Gaudio
    __________Arranger: Charles Calello
    Side B_____Producer: Billy Strange
    __________Arranger: Billy Strange

0932 Hello L.A., Bye Bye Birmingham (Mac Davis - Delaney Bramlett) / White Tattoo (Shelby Flint) (July 1970)

0968 How Are Things In California? (Al Kasha - Maddy Slatoff [aka Ceil Batista - Madeline Levine on the 45 label]) / I'm Not A Girl Anymore (Shelby Flint) (November 1970)⁴

0980 [DJ] Feelin' Kinda Sunday (stereo) / Feelin' Kinda Sunday (mono) [both by Nancy & Frank] (December 1970, promo)
    0980____Feelin' Kinda Sunday (Kathy Wakefield - Annette Tucker - Nino Tempo) [by Nancy & Frank] / Kids (Mac Davis [aka Scott Davis on the 45 label]) (December 1970)
    Side A_____Producer: Don Costa
    __________Arranger: Don Costa
    Side B_____Producer: Sonny Burke
    __________Arranger/Conductor: Nelson Riddle

0991 Hook And Ladder (Norman Greenbaum) / Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone? (Dave Kirby - Glenn Martin) (February 1971) [PS]
    Side A_Producers: Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker
    ______Arranger: Ted Templeman

Side B_Producers: Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker
    ______Arranger: Nick DeCaro

1011 I'm Not Afraid (Rod McKuen - Jacques Brel) [by Frank] / Life's A Trippy Thing (Linda Laurie - Howard Greenfield) [by Nancy & Frank] (May 1971)
    Side A_Producer: Sonny Burke
    ______Arranger: Lennie Hayton
    Side B_Producer: Don Costa
    ______Arranger: Don Costa

1021 Did You Ever (Bobby Braddock) / Back On The Road (Lee Hazlewood) [both by Nancy & Lee] (June 1971)⁵
    ______Producers: Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra
    ______Arranger: Clark Gassman

1034 [DJ] Glory Road (stereo) / Glory Road (mono) (August 1971, promo)
    1034____Glory Road (Neil Diamond) / Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone? (Dave Kirby - Glenn Martin) (August 1971)
    __________Producers: Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker
    __________Arranger: Nick DeCaro

K 14138 Flowers In The Rain (Roy Wood) / Glory Road (Neil Diamond) (December 1971, U.K.)⁶
    _________Producers: Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker
    _________Arranger: Nick DeCaro

¹Regarding the 1968 Teldec release of "Kids" b/w "It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year," see "pre-album singles" notes in "Follow-Up To Release Date Research" from The Sinatra Family Wish You A Merry Christmas thread.

²The 45 label for "Drummer Man" credits Hal Blaine as the drummer.

³According to the bonus track information on the Sundazed CD release of Country, My Way: The Highway Song / Are You Growing Tired Of My Love single was assigned the U.S. Reprise catalog #0869. However, the Goldmine Price Guide To 45 RPM Records (6th Edition) states that this single was released "only in England" (even though it had other non-U.S. releases). Assuming that it was, in fact, released in the U.S., I have never encountered the U.S. version of this single. I have been able to locate many copies of the U.K. release, which was assigned the catalog #20869.

⁴The 45 label for "How Are Things In California?" credits "Nancy Sinatra With The Baylor Bros." (aka The Bahler Bros., Tom and John).

⁵"Did You Ever" and "Back On The Road" were released as a Reprise label single prior to their inclusion on the RCA album Nancy & Lee Again (1972).

⁶The remixed version of "Flowers In The Rain," without rain and thunder effects, was released in the U.S. on the How Does It Feel CD (1998). The sound effects were restored for the song's appearance on The Essential Nancy Sinatra (2006) and Kid Stuff (2008). See Nancy's comments here

Note: There are a few variations in the mixes of "Flowers In The Rain." The original 45 version, with Nancy's double-tracked vocal, features sound effects at the beginning and end, plus a clap of thunder midway (following the line "keeping me cool") and an additional brief instrumental interlude at the end just before Nancy's vocal on the fade-out. The How Does It Feel? version, with a single track vocal, has no sound effects and no interlude before the fade-out. The Essential Nancy Sinatra and Kid Stuff versions employ the How Does It Feel? mix, but with rain and thunder at the beginning and end (no clap of thunder in the middle). (On The Essential Nancy Sinatra, the track seems to have greater emphasis on the lower range.)

Good Time Girl / Old Devil Moon

"Good Time Girl" is one of seven Nancy recordings written or co-written by Mac Davis, aka "Scott Davis." He also penned "God Knows I Love You" and "Hello L.A., Bye Bye Birmingham" (both with Delaney Bramlett), "Memories" (with Billy Strange), and "Home" (with Larry Collins), as well as "I'm Just In Love" and "Kids" (both credited as "Scott Davis"). During this period, Mac Davis was part of the roster at B-n-B Music (Boots and Billy), Nancy and Billy Strange's music publishing company.

Also: Mac Davis, Bob Lind and Freddy Weller wrote "Sock It To Me Sunshine." A Billboard "Bubbling Under" chart 45 by The Curtain Calls (Dot 17093), "Sock It To Me Sunshine" was performed by Nancy on the May 26, 1968 episode of The Ed Sullivan Show.

And Nancy has performed the Billy Strange & Mac Davis-penned "A Little Less Conversation" (an Elvis Presley chart hit) in concert, most notably at "Elvis The Festival" (in Vienna, Austria, on October 24 and 25, 2002 with her KAB, Elvis's TCB Band and the Sweet Inspirations).

Pictured: Sheet music (left); 45 A-side label (center); and the November 30, 1968 Billboard ad.

The Highway Song / Are You Growing Tired Of My Love

"The Highway Song" and "Are You Growing Tired Of My Love" were produced under the aegis of the legendary Mickie Most. Most also produced Nancy's "Zodiac Blues," which was eventually released on 1999's You Go-Go Girl! and 2008's Kid Stuff, and the unreleased "Colors Are Changing."

Here are the sheet music and the U.K. 45 A and B-side labels.

Hook And Ladder / Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone?

"Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone?" and "Hook And Ladder," along with "Glory Road" and "Flowers In The Rain," represent Nancy's recordings with producers Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker.

Nancy's remixed version of "Is Anybody Goin' To San Antone?" can be found on Cherry Smiles: The Rare Singles. The song had been a 1970 hit single by Charley Pride (RCA Victor 47-9806).

Written and previously recorded by Norman Greenbaum, his version of "Hook And Ladder" was included on his 1970 album Back Home Again (Reprise RS-6422).

This single was released with Nancy's third U.S. picture sleeve.

Billboard magazine ads:
    Left: The February 20, 1971 ad lists, "'Hook and Ladder' b/w 'Is Anybody Going to San Antone?'" This photo of Nancy, with the image reversed, also appeared on the cover of Stern Magazine in Germany.
    Right: An amusing March 27, 1971 ad promotes multiple new releases with this text:

"Records are not simply made, they are born. Like everyone else these days, Warner/Reprise endures a long-term pregnancy for the birth of a hit. We are fortunate in having a good obstetrician (played here by Ron Saul, our Director of National Promotion), who just delivered not one infant record, but a litter...And (blushing confession) it looks like we're already pregnant again. A forward-looking company, we've picked names for our new offspring: HOOK AND LADDER by Nancy Sinatra / R0991..."

Glory Road (stereo) / Glory Road (mono) and
    Flowers In The Rain / Glory Road

In addition to Neil Diamond's "Glory Road," Nancy has also interpreted his "Holly Holy" and "Play Me," both of which are included on 2013's Shifting Gears. The remixed version of "Glory Road" is available on Cherry Smiles: The Rare Singles and as a digital 45.

Prior to Nancy's "Glory Road" recording session (February 13, 1971), her producer, Lenny Waronker, played the same role for the Everly Brothers' "Glory Road" session, with both Neil Diamond and the Beau Brummels' Ron Elliott (who has also worked with Nancy) on acoustic guitar (Western Recorders: March 28, 1969). Their version would not be released until 2006, on the Chained To A Memory box set. Another Nancy-Everly Brothers connection: While Nancy and the Everlys were labelmates at RCA, Don & Phil were special guests in Nancy's shows at the Congo Room in the Sahara Hotel, Las Vegas (May 15-28, 1973).

Several of Nancy's promotional 45s, including "Glory Road," were released as double A-sided records, featuring a mono mix (the standard for this era) on one side, and a stereo mix on the other.

In the U.K., "Glory Road" was released on the flip side of Nancy's version of The Move's "Flowers In The Rain." Nancy covered The Move's "California Man" on the California Girl CD. Both "Move" songs were written by Roy Wood.

Left: The labels for the stereo/mono promo issue of "Glory Road;" and the August 21, 1971 ad.
    Right: The U.K. labels for "Flowers In The Rain" / "Glory Road."
    Last edited by AndrewT; 06-29-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added link to "Follow-Up To Release Date Research" for Teldec release of "Kids/It's Such A Lonely Time Of Year."

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section D

RCA, Private Stock, and Elektra 45s (1971-1981)

RCA:
    74-0614 (matrix APKM-6544/APKM-6542)[DJ] Down From Dover (mono) / Paris Summer (mono) [both by Nancy & Lee] (December 1971, promo)
    74-0614 (matrix APKS-6544/APKS-6542) Down From Dover (Dolly Parton) (stereo) / Paris Summer (Lee Hazlewood) (stereo) [both by Nancy & Lee] (December 1971)
    Side A_Producers: Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra
    ______Arranger: Larry Muhoberac
    Side B_Producers: Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra

74-0864 Kind Of A Woman (Melody Perry - Jimmy George [Georgantones]) / It's The Love (That Keeps It All Together) (Kim M. Carnes) (December 1972)
    [Note: The promotional 45 was also issued in stereo.]
    Side A_Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Duane Eddy [only Jimmy Bowen is listed on the 45 label]
    ______Arrangers: Larry Muhoberac and Pete Carpenter
    Side B_Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Duane Eddy [only Jimmy Bowen is listed on the 45 label]
    ______Arranger: Larry Muhoberac

DJAO-0029 [DJ] Sugar Me (mono) / Ain't No Sunshine (mono) (August 1973, promo) [Library of Congress Copyright Registration for the single: July 26, 1973]
    APBO-0029 Sugar Me (Barry Green - Lynsey de Paul [misspelled as "Lindsey DePaul" on the 45 label]) (stereo) / Ain't No Sunshine (Bill Withers) (stereo) (August 1973)
    Side A_Producer: Jimmy Bowen

Private Stock:
    PS 45,022 [DJ] Annabell Of Mobile (stereo) / Annabell Of Mobile (mono) (June 1975, promo)
    PS 45,022 Annabell Of Mobile (Bobby Russell) / She Played Piano And He Beat The Drums (John Durrill) (June 1975)
    ______Producer: Snuff Garrett
    ______Arranger: Al Capps

PS 45,075 [DJ] Kinky Love (stereo) / Kinky Love (mono) (April 1976, promo) [Library of Congress Copyright Registration for the single: March 12, 1976]
    PS 45,075 Kinky Love (Dave Ellingson) / She Played Piano And He Beat The Drums (John Durrill) (April 1976)
    ______Producer: Snuff Garrett
    ______Arranger: Al Capps

PS 45,108 [DJ] Indian Summer (L'été Indien) (stereo) / Indian Summer (Lété Indien) (mono) [both by Nancy & Lee] (October 1976, promo) [Library of Congress Copyright Registration for the single: September 28, 1976]
    PS 45,108 Indian Summer (Lété Indien) (Stuart Ward - Vito Pallavicini - Pasquale Losito - Salvatore "Toto" Cutugno [misspelled as "Cutugho" on the 45 label] - Dominic Bugatti - Frank Musker [misspelled as "Muskar" on the 45 label]) [by Nancy & Lee] / Dolly And Hawkeye (Lee Hazlewood [under the pseudonym "Lena Edling"]) [by Nancy] (October 1976)
    ______Producer: Lee Hazlewood ["Mother Texas Productions" is listed on the 45 label]
    ______Arranger/Conductor: Larry Muhoberac

PS 45,158 [DJ] It's For My Dad (stereo) / It's For My Dad (mono) (August 1977, promo)
    PS 45,158 It's For My Dad (Lana Chapel) / A Gentle Man Like You (Danny Hice - Ruby Hice) (August 1977)
    ______Producers: L. Russell Brown and Charlie Calello

Elektra:
    E-46659[DJ] Let's Keep It That Way (stereo) / Let's Keep It That Way (mono) (June 1980, promo)
    E-46659 Let's Keep It That Way (Curly Putnam - Rafe Van Hoy) / One Jump Ahead Of The Storm (Joe New - Troy Seals) (June 1980)
    ______Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Billy Strange

E-47157 Texas Cowboy Night (Mel Tillis - Murray Cannon - Raleigh Squires) / After The Lovin' (Richard Ziegler - Alan Bernstein) [both by Nancy & Mel Tillis] (June 1981)
    ______Producers: Jimmy Bowen and Billy Strange

Acetate Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer/single-sided (by Nancy and Mel Tillis) (10-inch, 45 rpm reference disc) (Elektra/Masterfonics Nashville, 1981)
    E-47234 [DJ] Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer (Johnny Marks) [by Nancy & Mel Tillis] / Winter Wonderland (Felix Bernard - Dick Smith) [by Dave Rowland & Sugar] (November 1981, promo)*
    Side A_Producer: Billy Strange
    Side B_Producer: James Stroud

E-47247 Play Me Or Trade Me (Owen Davis - Mike Huffman) / Where Would I Be (Judy Mehaffey) [both by Nancy & Mel Tillis] (December 1981)

*The Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer / Winter Wonderland single was issued as part of a multi-disc promotional package for the Elektra LP Christmas Country. The August 29, 1981 issue of Billboard reported its forthcoming release:

"Radio stations will be serviced with a seven-inch tape box affixed with the album's cover and containing five double-sided singles, thereby covering all 10 LP selections."

Kind Of A Woman / It's The Love (That Keeps It All Together)

A January 6, 1973 Cash Box ad promoted "Kind Of A Woman" as "The Liberated Single," with the following text:

"When you hear Nancy Sinatra's new single
    'Kind of a Woman' you're in for a shock.
    It is sensual but not for the sake of
    sensationalism. She thinks it's about time
    someone sings it straight about what
    kind of man her kind of woman wants." ...

"Nancy Sinatra, 'Kind of a Woman.'
    Sexy, yes. Sex object, no.
    Destined, definitely."

For Nancy's revelations regarding the song "Kind Of A Woman," click here.

On the flip side, Nancy covers "It's The Love (That Keeps It All Together)." Written by Kim Carnes, it was previously recorded by Kim and Dave (Carnes and Ellingson) for a 1972 single on Jimmy Bowen's Amos label (Amos 167). There are other Nancy catalog connections to Kim Carnes and Dave Ellingson. Kim penned "Fell In Love With A Poet," which appears on Nancy's Woman album and Sheet Music CD. Dave composed "Kinky Love" (which is listed in this section of the discography). Producer Jimmy Bowen and arranger Larry Muhoberac, who worked on this single and the Woman album, also produced and arranged (respectively) Kim's debut album, Rest On Me (Amos AAS 7016), which contains Kim's version of "Fell In Love With A Poet."

Annabell Of Mobile / She Played Piano And He Beat The Drums

For the strong story-song "Annabell Of Mobile," Nancy collaborated with producer Snuff Garrett, arranger Al Capps, and writer Bobby Russell, the same team behind Vicki Lawrence's "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" (Bell 45303) and Russell's own recording of "Saturday Morning Confusion" (United Artists 50788).

The June 14, 1975 Billboard ad welcoming Nancy to Larry Uttal's singles-oriented Private Stock label is displayed with the mono label from the promo single.

Indian Summer (Lété Indien) / Dolly And Hawkeye

Lee Hazlewood released his own solo versions of "Indian Summer" and "Dolly And Hawkeye" in Germany and Sweden. His recording of "Indian Summer" was issued in 1976 as a single b/w "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" (RCA 0727), and was also included on his 20th Century Lee album (RCA YSPL 1-575). Lee's version of "Dolly And Hawkeye" is contained on his 1977 album Back On The Street Again (EMI 1C-066 32553).

The label for "Indian Summer" misspells Lee Hazlewood's name, as well as writers Toto Cutugno's as "Cutugho" and Frank Musker's as "Muskar."
    It's For My Dad / A Gentle Man Like You

"He always was a rock
    When I needed one,
    He gave me good advice
    When I needed some."

[lyrics from "It's For My Dad" by Lana Chapel]

In the For My Dad CD maxi-single liner notes, Nancy reflects on the emotion attached to this single:

"It was hard for me to sing because the lyric made me cry and I couldn't complete a take so we did it in pieces. When I played it for Dad he gave me a big hug and with tears in his eyes said, 'Thank you.'"

Nancy recorded "It's For My Dad" at Media Sound Studios in New York City. In the December 17, 1977 issue of Billboard, a multi-page tribute to Media Sound includes this photo of Nancy recording at the well-known studio. The stereo side of the promo 45 is displayed below.

Let's Keep It That Way / One Jump Ahead Of The Storm

With Nancy's move to the Elektra label, she once again ventured into countrified musical territory, working with Jimmy Bowen and Billy Strange, on this release and the succeeding duets with Mel Tillis. "Let's Keep It That Way" has also been covered by Tanya Tucker (1977), Anne Murray (1978), and Mac Davis (1980).

Pictured: The Elektra Records press kit photo (by Ron Slenzak) for Mel And Nancy; and the labels from the stereo side of the stereo/mono promotional issue of "Let's Keep It That Way," the commercial release of "Texas Cowboy Night," the 10-inch acetate of "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer" (single-sided), and a promotional copy of "Play Me Or Trade Me" (b/w "Where Would I Be").
    Last edited by AndrewT; 06-28-2016 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Added exact dates of "Sugar Me" and "Kinky Love" and "Indian Summer," according to Library Of Congress registrations.

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section E

Digital Era Releases (1995-2013)

Cougar:
    CGRS-401 Bone Dry (Bob Harris - Brian Moldawsky) (Cassette) (1995)
    Side 1: Bone Dry
    Side 2: Bone Dry
    CGRCD-401P Bone Dry (1-track Promo CD) (1995)
    CGRS-402 Now I Have Everything (Al Kasha - Joel Hirschhorn) (Cassette) (1995)
    Side 1: Now I Have Everything (alternate mix)
    Side 2: Bone Dry
    CGRCD-402P Now I Have Everything (Promo CD) (1995)
    1. Now I Have Everything (alternate mix)
    2. Bone Dry
    ______Producer: Ray Ruff
    ______Arrangers: Jerry Cole, Don Randi, Ray Ruff

Songs Of Love Foundation:
    CD Acetate Song Of Love For Danny (Tony Asher) (CD-R) (2002)
    Digital Single Song Of Love For Danny (Download) (2016)

Warner Music Australia:
    WCDB431 Nancy & Lee 3 (Promo CD-R) (2004, Australia)
    1. Barricades And Brickwalls (Kasey Chambers - William Stanley Chambers - Steven Mark Werchon) [by Nancy & Lee]
    2. She Won't (Duane Eddy - Billy Falcon)
    3. Barricades And Brickwalls [by Nancy]

______Producers: Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra with Billy Strange
    ______Arranger/Conductor: Billy Strange

Attack/Sanctuary:
    86004-2 Let Me Kiss You (CD) (2004)
    1. Let Me Kiss You (Morrissey - Alain Whyte)
    2. Bossman (Andy Holt - Phil Burns - AJ Lambert - Matt Azzarto)
    Track 1_Producer of the original track: Jerry Finn
    _______Producers of Nancy's track: AJ Lambert, Matt Azzarto & Don Fleming
    Track 2_Producers: Andy Holt and Phil Burns
    _______Producers of Nancy's track: AJ Lambert, Matt Azzarto & Don Fleming

ATKPX005 Let Me Kiss You (1-Track Promo CD) (2004, U.K.)

ATKXS005 Let Me Kiss You (CD) (2004, U.K.)
    1. Let Me Kiss You
    2. Bossman

Sanctuary:
    CD Acetate Burnin' Down The Spark (Edit) (Joey Burns) (1-Track Promo CD) (2004, U.K.)

SANXS352 Burnin' Down The Spark (CD) (2004, U.K.)
    1. Burnin' Down The Spark (Joey Burns) (Edit)
    2. Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad (Music: Bono & The Edge; Lyrics: Bono)

Track 1_Producers: AJ Lambert, Matt Azzarto & Don Fleming
    _______Additional production: Joey Burns, John Convertino and JD Foster
    Track 2_Producers: AJ Lambert, Matt Azzarto & Don Fleming

Sanctuary/BMG:

CD Acetate Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad (Music: Bono & The Edge; Lyrics: Bono) (1-Track Promo CD) (2004, France)
    Producers: AJ Lambert, Matt Azzarto & Don Fleming

Source/EMI¹:
    SOURCDJ111 Shot You Down (Tom Dinsdale - Simon Franks - Sonny Bono) (Radio Edit, 1-Track Promo CD) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy] (2005, U.K.)
    Producers: Audio Bullys
    Samples from "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" performed by Nancy Sinatra and featuring Billy Strange on guitar; original production by Lee Hazlewood.

CD Acetate Shot You Down (2-Track Promo CD) (2005, U.K.)
    1. Shot You Down (Original Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    2. Shot You Down (Lee Cabrera 'Lower East Side' Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]

Additional production for Lee Cabrera 'Lower East Side' Mix: Steven Lee & Albert Cabrera

SOURCD111 Shot You Down, CD #1 (2005, U.K.)
    1. Shot You Down (Radio Edit) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    2. I Won't Let You Down [by Audio Bullys]

SOURCDX111 Shot You Down, CD #2 (Enhanced CD with Video) (2005, U.K.)
    1. Shot You Down (Radio Edit) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    2. Shot You Down (Original Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    3. Shot You Down (Lee Cabrera 'Lower East Side' Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    4. Shot You Down (3 minute, 35 second enhanced video) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]

SOURT111 Shot You Down, 12-inch Vinyl (2005, U.K.)
    1. Shot You Down (Original Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]
    2. Shot You Down (Lee Cabrera 'Lower East Side' Mix) [by Audio Bullys featuring Nancy]

¹The 6 minute, 33 second Audio Bullys' Remix Edit of "Shot You Down" (featuring Nancy) is included on these 2005 U.K. releases: Audio Bullys' CD single I'm In Love,
    Part 1
    (SOURCD113); and Audio Bullys' 12-inch vinyl single I'm In Love (SOURT113).

Boots Enterprises:
    Digital 45 Glory Road [Remix] (Neil Diamond) / Dolly And Hawkeye (Lee Hazlewood) (2009)
    Track 1_Producers: Andy Wickham and Lenny Waronker
    _______Arranger: Nick DeCaro
    Track 2_Producer: Lee Hazlewood
    Arranger: Larry Muhoberac

(This release is also included in the Reissues Section, as these tracks were previously issued on vinyl 45s.)

Lo Recordings:
    LODOWN018 To Ardent (Bernard Fevre) Feat. Nancy Sinatra [6-Track Promo CD] (2011)²
    Producer: Bernard Fevre
    1. To Ardent [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    2. To Ardent (Horse Meat Disco Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    3. To Ardent (Logo Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    4. To Ardent (Grovesnor Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    5. To Ardent (Grovesnor Remix Radio Edit) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]³
    6. To Ardent (Vitamin Wig C Mixture) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]⁴
    ²The disc and the spine of the insert indicate that the catalog designation is "LODOWN018." However, "LODOWN017" appears on the back of the insert (pictured below).
    ³The 3:38 Grovesnor Remix Edit is included on the various artists download collection Seriously, Eric? #3 (Alter K, 2011).
    ⁴The "Vitamin Wig C Mixture" is listed as "Vitamin Wig C Remix" on the download versions.

Digital EP To Ardent [Amazon Configuration] (2011)
    2. To Ardent (Horse Meat Disco Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    5. To Ardent (Vitamin Wig C Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]

Digital EP To Ardent [iTunes Configuration] (2011)
    5. To Ardent (Vitamin Wig C Remix) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]
    6. To Ardent (Grovesnor Remix Radio Edit) [by Black Devil Disco Club featuring Nancy]

David Lynch Foundation Music:
    Digital Single End Of The World (Remix) (Sylvia Dee - Arthur Kent) (2011)
    Original Producer: Lee Hazlewood
    Arranger/Conductor: Billy Strange

Boots Enterprises:
    Digital "Single" Holly Holy (Neil Diamond) (2013)
    Original Producer: Billy Strange; orchestral backing track recorded on June 12, 1970
    Shifting Gears Compilation Producer: Michael Lloyd

Bone Dry and Now I Have Everything [Promo CDs]

The extremely rare Bone Dry and Now I Have Everything promotional CD-singles were issued without any artwork. In comparison to the album version, the single mix of "Now I Have Everything" features a guitar instrumental break in place of the piano, and less prominent strings throughout the track.

Let Me Kiss You and
    Burnin' Down The Spark

"Close your eyes
    And think of someone
    You physically admire
    And let me kiss you."

[lyrics from "Let Me Kiss You" by Morrissey and Alain Whyte]

On the the forty-third anniversary of the ad for "Cuff Links And A Tie Clip," the August 14, 2004 issue of Billboard reviewed "Let Me Kiss You":

"After a lengthy break from the chart, Sinatra may indeed return to it with the dreamy 'Let Me Kiss You.' Co-penned by Morrissey, who also provides backing vocals, the poignant 'Kiss' is tailor-made for Sinatra."

The U.S. CD single for "Let Me Kiss You" features a photo of Nancy and Morrissey by Amanda. The white sleeve version of "Let Me Kiss You" and the CD single for "Burnin' Down The Spark" are U.K. releases.

Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad [Promo CD]

The promotional CD-single of "Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad" was issued by BMG in France. Sanctuary employed BMG for distribution in France and the Benelux countries.

Shot You Down

Upper tier, left to right: 1-track promo CD; 2-track promo CD acetate; CD-single #1.
    Lower tier, left to right: CD-single #2; label for the Shot You Down 12-inch vinyl single; I'm In Love, Part 1 CD single, which includes "Shot You Down."

CD #2 (SOURCDX111) contains the "Shot You Down" video, which integrates footage of Nancy's performance of "Bang Bang" on the FS television special A Man and His Music, Part II (taped on June 5-6, 1966; aired on December 7, 1966). Images of Nancy from the video are pictured below.

Nancy met the Audio Bullys, Tom Dinsdale and Simon Franks, at the Polo Lounge of the Beverly Hills Hotel, in 2006 (also pictured below).

Photo of Nancy and the Audio Bullys from Nancy's News and Blog Archives (May 4, 2006) at nancysinatra.com

Glory Road / Dolly And Hawkeye

The artwork for this digital 45 incorporates the Cherry Smiles portrait of Nancy painted by Ralph Wolfe Cowan.

To Ardent

Nancy is featured on Black Devil Disco Club's (aka Bernard Fevre's) "To Ardent," which is included on the album Circus. The recording was released in various mixes as a digital EP, on May 23, 2011. The "Junior Claristidge Remix" is not included on any of the EP configurations, but is available as an individual download and as part of the Amazon MP3 version of Circus and Black Devil Disco Club's Magnetic Circus (2012) compilation. An extended mix of the original version of "To Ardent" is listed on the iTunes "Bonus Tracks Version" of the Circus album.

The remixes, including "Grovesnor Remix Radio Edit" (track 5), were issued on a physical format as a promotional-only, 6-track CD.

From the notes on the back of the CD box:

"Never was there such a strange and wondrous musical meeting as the one you have here before you. Two of the most original musical talents to inhabit the known universe collide to create an intensely bright 'shining star'. This really is Sci Fi Disco."

The back of the promo CD insert is pictured below.

End Of The World (Remix)

A poignant, previously unreleased version of Nancy's classic cover of Skeeter Davis's 1963 hit single, "End Of The World" (RCA Victor 47-8098), is available for individual download, and as part of the Download For Good collection, which has also been issued as the limited edition, vinyl box set Music That Changes The World (2012). Nancy originally released "End Of The World" on her Country, My Way LP (1967).

Proceeds from "End Of The World (Remix)," as well as the tracks by other artists featured on Download For Good, benefit the David Lynch Foundation’s educational outreach programs. The following quote from Nancy appears on her page at David Lynch Foundation Music:

"Nothing is more important to insure the peaceful future of the planet than nurturing and educating its youth. The effects of a good education, art, and culture, bring an awareness that builds character and a spirit that informs the soul, allowing a person to change the world for the better."

The beautiful artwork (left) by Daniel Edlen, associated with the newly released version of “End Of The World,” is based on Ron Joy’s iconic photo of Nancy in the recording studio (right).

Holly Holy

Nancy recalls "Holly Holy" composer Neil Diamond's advice regarding the song's crescendo and electrifying climax:

"A nice thing happened with Glory Road. I sent it to Neil Diamond along with the remastered Holly Holy and he sent me a note raving about the tracks. That made me so happy. When you can please the composer you have accomplished something!"

Nancy refers to "Holy Holy" as "the premier track" from her Shifting Gears collection.

"I guess in a way it is a single now, an introductory single for the album."

For additional details, see “Sing It Out, Sing It Strong”: “Shifting Gears.”

Song Of Love For Danny

From SongsOfLove.org in 2002:

"On Monday, January 21, 2002, Nancy Sinatra personally presented a 'Song of Love' to a smiling Danny Ocegueda at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Danny is currently battling cancer."

Originally available as a charity CD in 2002, the song was released digitally (as a download) on March 25, 2016.

Last edited by AndrewT; 01-17-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added more details for Cougar cassettes.

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section F

Reprise Jukebox EPs ... Plus

Jukebox EPs (extended plays), aka jukebox mini-LPs or compact 33s, were created by record companies from the early 1960s until the mid 1970s. Generally issued in stereo, they are 7-inch, vinyl records with a small hole, which play at 33-and-1/3 rpm. Packaged in cardboard or paper sleeves with a sheet of jukebox title strips, they usually feature four to six songs (two or three on each side).

Nancy's Reprise jukebox EPs were also known as "Seeburg Little LPs." Seeburg 7-inch stereo EPs were made available for jukebox programming, beginning in 1963. Garwin Sales took over distribution of the Little LP program from the Seeburg Corporation in late 1967. Seeburg catalog/part #s are listed at the top of the title strip sheets, which were packaged over the back cover under the shrink wrap.

Reprise SR 6202 / Seeburg 1006 Boots (1966)
    Side 1
    1. As Tears Go By (Michael [Mick] Jagger - Keith Richards - Andrew Oldham)
    2. Flowers On The Wall (Lewis DeWitt)
    3. These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (Lee Hazlewod)
    Side 2
    1. Day Tripper (John Lennon - Paul McCartney)
    2. Run For Your Life (John Lennon - Paul McCartney)
    3. So Long, Babe (Lee Hazlewood)
    Producer: Lee Hazlewood

Reprise SR 6251 / Seeburg 1188 Country, My Way (1967)
    Side 1
    1. It's Such A Pretty World Today (Dale E. Noe)
    2. Jackson (Jerry Leiber - Billy Edd Wheeler)
    3. When It's Over (Hank Cochran)
    Side 2
    1. Oh Lonesome Me (Don Gibson)
    2. End Of The World (Sylvia Dee - Arthur Kent)
    3. Lay Some Happiness On Me (Jean Chapel - Bob Jennings)

Reprise SR 6277 / Seeburg 1199 Movin' With Nancy (1967)
    Side 1
    1. I Gotta Get Out Of This Town (Lee Hazlewood)
    2. Younger Than Springtime (Richard Rodgers - Oscar Hammerstein II) [by Frank]
    3. Things (Bobby Darin) [by Nancy and Dean Martin]
    Side 2
    1. See The Little Children (Lee Hazlewood)
    2. Up, Up And Away (Jimmy Webb)
    3.This Town (Lee Hazlewood)

Reprise SR 1022 / Seeburg 1186 The World We Knew (by Frank Sinatra) (1967)
    Side 1
    1. The World We Knew (Over And Over) (Bert Kaempfert - Herbert Rehbein - Carl Sigman)
    Producer: Jimmy Bowen
    Arranger/Conductor: Ernie Freeman

2. Don't Sleep In The Subway (Tony Hatch - Jackie Trent)

3. You Are There (Harry Sukman - Paul Francis Webster)
    Arranger/Conductor: Gordon Jenkins

Side 2
    1. Somethin' Stupid (C. Carson Parks) [by Nancy and Frank]
    Producer: Jimmy Bowen and Lee Hazlewood

2. This Town (Lee Hazlewood)

3. Drinking Again (Doris Tauber - Johnny Mercer)
    Arranger/Conductor: Claus Ogerman

Reprise SR 1025 Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits! (1968)
    Side 1
    1.Strangers In The Night (Bert Kaempfert - Charles Singleton - Eddie Snyder)

2. Summer Wind (Heinz Meier - Hans Bradtke, Ger. w.; Johnny Mercer, Eng w.)
    Producers: Sonny Burke
    Arranger/Conductor: Nelson Riddle

3. Somethin' Stupid (C. Carson Parks) [by Nancy and Frank]
    Producer: Jimmy Bowen and Lee Hazlewood

Side 2
    1. That's Life (Kelly Gordon - Dean Kay Thompson)

2. When Somebody Loves You (James Van Husen - Sammy Cahn)

3. Softly As I Leave You (Antonio DeVita - Giorgio Calabrese, It. w.; Hal Shaper, Eng w.)
    Jimmy Bowen

Country, My Way

Movin' With Nancy

Nancy's Jukebox Record of the Year Award

The November 5, 1966 issue of Billboard, in "Coin Machine News," reported that, in the annual poll of U.S. jukebox operators, Nancy and Frank shared the award for "'best jukebox record of the year'": Nancy for "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'"; Frank for "Strangers In The Night."

"The Sinatras were each tendered honors because they ran in virtually a dead heat in the voting by MOA [Music Operators of America] members...Miss Sinatra polled far and away the most votes of any female artist."

The Seeburg "Stereo Showcase" Jukebox

Nancy appears in two versions of the ad for the Seeburg Stereo Showcase. Note the Boots cover on the jukebox's display.

Left: Billboard, July 8, 1967.
    Right: Billboard, October 28, 1967.

Warner Bros./Reprise Promotional EPs

These 7-inch, 45-rpm EPs promoted the releases of Warner Bros. and Reprise label artists.

Warner Bros./Reprise PRO-252 Warner Bros./Reprise Artist Voice Tracks (1967)
    Side 1
    1. Frank Sinatra - Intro to Nancy Sinatra Record
    2. Jimmy Durante - Intro to Jimmy Durante Record
    3. Jimmy Durante - Intro to Jimmy Durante Record
    4. Allan Sherman - Intro to Allan Sherman Record
    5. Don & Phil Everly - Intro to Everlys Album
    Side 2
    1. Nancy Sinatra - Intro to Don Ho Record
    2. Sammy Davis, Jr. & Dean Martin - Intro to Dean Martin Record
    3. Dean Martin - Sign-off to Dean Martin Record
    4. Dean Martin - "I'll Drink To That"

Warner Bros.-Seven Arts PRO-283 Mason Williams Spots (1968)
    Side 1
    1. :50 spot (Glen Campbell)
    2. :50 spot (Claudine Longet)
    3. :50 spot (Dick Smothers)
    4. :50 spot (Tom Smothers)
    Side 2
    1. :50 spot (Noel Harrison)
    2. :50 spot (Pat Paulsen)
    3. :50 spot (Nancy Sinatra)
    4. :50 spot (Nelson Riddle)

Warner/Reprise/Atlantic-Americom Pocket Disc The Sound Of Warner/Reprise/Atlantic Starring... (1969)
    Side 1: "The Sound Of Warner/Reprise Starring..."
    1. Frank Sinatra
    2. Petula Clark
    3. The Association
    4. Dean Martin
    5. Peter, Paul & Mary
    6. Nancy Sinatra - "Happy"
    Side 2: "The Sound Of Atlantic Starring..."
    1. Aretha Franklin
    2. Joe Tex
    3. Otis Redding
    4. The Young Rascals
    5. Archie Bell And The Drells
    6. Clarence Carter
    7. Cream

Plus...

Garrison System CG-1164-USA Get Yourself A College Girl - Dual Interview With Nancy Sinatra And Chad Everett (November 1964)
    Side 1
    Complete Interview
    Side 2
    Open-End Interview

Broadcasters For Radio Free Europe XB-212 Special Issue Public Service Announcements 1968
    Side 1
    1. Charlton Heston 0:60
    2. Jerry Lewis 0:60
    3. Dinah Shore 0:60
    4. Jonathan Winters 0:60
    5. Richard Benjamin 0:60
    6. Fred MacMurray 0:30
    7. Walter Pidgeon 0:20
    8. Nancy Sinatra 0:20
    9. Paula Prentiss 0:10

Holy Childhood Association AAVP #72340 Holy Childhood Association Christmas PSA's/PSA's
    Side 1
    1. Henry Fonda
    2. Ann-Margret
    3. Vince Edwards
    4. Edie Adams
    Side 2
    1. Hugh O'Brian
    2. Vince Edwards
    3. Sergio Franchi
    4. Nancy Sinatra

Warner Bros./Reprise Artist Voice Tracks

A promotional EP with vocal intros to tracks by various artists.

Mason Williams Spots

A series of 50-second radio spots by eight artists promoting The Mason Williams Phonograph Record (Warner Bros. 1729).

The Sound Of Warner/Reprise/Atlantic Starring...

This extremely rare promotional Americom Pocket Disc (flexi-disc) contains spoken introductions and song excerpts by Warner Bros. and Reprise artists on side 1, and Atlantic artists on side 2.

Get Yourself A College Girl - Dual Interview With Nancy Sinatra And Chad Everett

This 10-inch, 33-and-1/3 rpm "LP," sent to radio stations to promote Nancy's second movie, features the "Complete Interview" (7:07) with Nancy and Chad, conducted by Dick Strout on side 1. Side 2 contains the "Open-End Interview (For use with local commentator)." Accompanying the thick but translucent blue vinyl disc is a two-page cue sheet with excerpts of Nancy and Chad's remarks.

Broadcasters For Radio Free Europe - Special Issue Public Service Announcements 1968

Holy Childhood Association Christmas PSA's/PSA's

This 33-and-1/3 rpm 7-inch EP contains eight 60-second public service announcements on behalf of this charity. The first side of the picture sleeve notes, "Please use side A BEFORE December 25th"; the second side notes, "Please use side B AFTER December 25th."

Last edited by AndrewT; 01-20-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added detail for "The Sound Of Warner/Reprise/Atlantic Starring..." flexi-disc.
    Andrew

Nancy's Singles Discography, Section G

Reissues

"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" holds the remarkable distinction of having been issued in the U.S. as a single at least six times (seven times including the flexi-disc release) over the course of nearly four decades (reissued four times on vinyl, in addition to its original release). "How Does That Grab You, Darlin'?" and "Summer Wine" are not far behind, as each recording has been issued as a single at least four and five times respectively.*

Reprise "Back to Back Hits" Series (Vinyl):
    0701 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / Love Eyes (1967)
    0721 Sugar Town / Summer Wine ["Summer Wine" by Nancy & Lee] (1968)
    0726 Jackson / Summer Wine [both by Nancy & Lee] (1968)
    0727 Somethin' Stupid [by Nancy & Frank] / The World We Knew (Over And Over) [by Frank] (1968)
    0729 Lightning's Girl / Some Velvet Morning ["Some Velvet Morning" by Nancy & Lee] (1968)
    GRE 0727 Somethin' Stupid [by Nancy & Frank] / The World We Knew (Over And Over) [by Frank] (c. 1987)

RCA Victor "Gold Standard" Series (Vinyl):
    447-0922 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / How Does That Grab You, Darlin'? (1972)

Rhino "Lil' Bit of Gold" Series (3-inch CD):
    RS 73026 1.These Boots Are Made For Walkin'; 2. How Does That Grab You, Darlin'?; 3. Sugar Town; 4. Somethin' Stupid ["Somethin' Stupid" by Nancy & Frank] (1988)

Rhino "Original Master" Series (Vinyl):
    RNOR-4509 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / How Does That Grab You, Darlin'? (1988) [PS]
    RNOR-4510 Sugar Town / Love Eyes (1988)
    RNOR-4511 Jackson / Summer Wine [both by Nancy & Lee] (1989)

Rhino "Rewind!" Series (Cassette):
    74423 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / Somethin' Stupid ["Somethin' Stupid" by Nancy & Frank] (1989)

Rhino/Collectables "Back to Back Hit" Series (CD):
    COL-8137 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / Sugar Town (1991)

Rhino/Collectables "Back to Back Hit" Jukebox Series (Vinyl [Green Label]):
    COL 0332 Jackson / Summer Wine [both by Nancy & Lee] (1992)
    COL 0333 These Boots Are Made For Walkin' / Sugar Town (1992)
    COL 0359 How Does That Grab You Darlin'? / You Only Live Twice (1992)

DCC Compact Classics (CD Maxi-single):
    DZS-165 For My Dad (1998):
    1. It's For My Dad
    2. Somethin' Stupid [by Nancy & Frank, including introductory studio chatter]
    3. Feelin' Kinda Sunday [by Nancy & Frank]

Boots Enterprises "Digital 45":
    Glory Road [Remix] / Dolly And Hawkeye (2009)
    (This release is also included in the Digital Era Releases Section.)

*Noteworthy non-U.S. reissues on 45s: As a part of its "Golden Treasures" series in 1975, the Private Stock label released "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" b/w "You Only Live Twice," in Canada as PSRGT-218X. In January 1985, RCA issued the Japanese promotional AX-56 vinyl single, featuring "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song" (by Elvis and Nancy) as the flip side of "Speedway" (by Elvis). For more information, click here to enter the Speedway-Soundtrack thread.

Reprise Back to Back Hits Series

Pictured are the sheet music for "Love Eyes" and the labels for the "Back to Back Hits" reissue (0701).

RCA Victor Gold Standard Series
    & RCA Victor MaxiMillion Series

The RCA reissue of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" appeared with the block modernized logo (red label) and the "Nipper" logo (black label).

In the U.K., this reissue appeared as the RCA Victor 2374 "MaxiMillion" series variation, with an additional track: "Sugar Town." Although the record label states "1972," the August 18, 1973 issue of Cash Box reported (on page 45) that the record was scheduled to be released that month.

Rhino Lil' Bit of Gold Series
    & Teldec 3" Classic Tracks Series

The short-lived 3-inch CD format was sold by Rhino in a long blister pack (left). Because 3-inch CDs were not compatible with some early CD players, some of these packages included a Rhino "disc adaptor" (pictured below) for extending the disc's diameter.

In 1989, Teldec/Warner Communications issued a 3-inch CD (Teldec 246 874-2 XS) in Germany as part of the "3" [3-inch] Classic Tracks" series, featuring "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'," "Jackson," "Summer Wine," and "Somethin' Stupid." The credits on the disc and the back cover indicate that the tracks were digitally remixed ("ADD").

Rhino Original Master Series

Nancy's fourth U.S. 45 picture sleeve was issued with this re-release of "These Boots Are Made For Walkin.'"

Rhino/Collectables Back to Back Hit Series

This 2-track CD-single, designed with the appearance of a vinyl 45, was manufactured by Rhino for Collectables Records.

Rhino Rewind! Cassette and
    For My Dad CD Maxi-single

The remixed version of "Somethin' Stupid" contained on this maxi-single (right) includes one-minute, seven-seconds of studio chatter at the beginning of the track.
    Last edited by AndrewT; 07-17-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Release date of Reprise 0701 "Back to Back Hits" reissue.
    Andrew

Andrew, you never cease to amaze me with all of your knowledge of Nancy. It's great that you are doing this!
    Rick

Cool

Superb Andrew !

Andrew, well done, my friend.
    ~Robert
    "I like the sunrise"

Nice job, Andrew! What Robert said.
    When You're Here, It's Family
    www.georgelyons.net

Great work, Andrew! Can't wait to see the finished discography.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Super work, Andrew. I can't wait to see the whole list.
    Mike

Press On....

DISCOGRAPHY

Hallo Andrew.
    Very nice work.
    I have on paper from years ago the complete discography on paper.
    Kristian

16. Thank you so much, Andrew. I really appreciate this and I'm so glad somebody remembers what I did, cuz I don't.

Told you Nancy would like it Andrew
    Frank Forever

Here's a question Nancy can answer when time allows. I've always wondered if the sweater on the 45 cover of CUFFLINKS is the same one you are wearing on the cover of COUNTRY, MY WAY? I somehow have forgotten to ask this before but noticed it immediately when COUNTRY was released. Is it possible, and if so, then I take it that the sweater is one of your own, not something used primarily for the photo(s).
    To my little fur baby Sushi, If love could have kept you alive, you would have lived forever...

Thank you, everyone. I'm glad you like the thread, Nancy. Doing the research was very interesting. I had not been aware of many of the vinyl reissues (which will be posted in Section G).
    Andrew

20. Boy! Some of those pictures are so funny.