Thread: Frank Sinatra: Album of the Month Club #35 (July 2010) "Sinatra's Sinatra"

Frank Sinatra: Album of the Month Club #35 (July 2010) "Sinatra's Sinatra"

track listing..

I've Got You Under My Skin
    In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
    The Second Time Around
    Nancy
    Witchcraft
    Young at Heart
    All the Way
    How Little It Matters, How Little We Know
    Pocketful of Miracles
    Oh! What It Seemed to Be
    Call Me Irresponsible
    Put Your Dreams Away

..text to follow..

click on album cover for related album section thread

Nice choice, Marty. This is one of the best sounding Reprise LPs and great to have these Captiol hits in stereo. I really like this version of Nancy and the recording of Witchcraft is my favorite, Frank just glides through it! Pocketful Of Miracles is a fun song too.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

I was waiting for Marty to post about why he chose it, he is unusually quiet!
    Nice enough album, not one of my heavily played but I understand the motivations behind it with the still, newish, label needing these songs on record. It is also worth it for hearing personal favourites of Franks handpicked and re recorded as opposed to a compilation. My favourite track is "Oh What It Seemed to Be"

4. Agreeded that the version of Nancy here is great, I tihnk it's his best. Call Me Irresponsible is done in such a beautiful way I usually hear it done as an up tempo, eg Bobby Darin but Frank really gets to the heart of the song.

Pocketful of Miracles is a fun song, I always viewed it as a companion to High Hopes seeing as they both have a chorus of kids. The version of All The Way here matches the Capitol recording as does Put Your Dreams Away IMO of course, both Sinatra classics.

"Sinatra´s Sinatra" .
    It was one of the very first album that i bought two copies at the same time (car and home CD), a long time ago. In my opinion is a great album for beginners to definitively fall in love with Sinatra´s music.
    Great choice, Marty.
    S V Peluzio Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    I was waiting for Marty to post about why he chose it, he is unusually quiet!
    Simple, Nick, after the South African debacle I really needed cheering up, and okay if we're completely honest the familiar set list may not include the acknowledged so called definitive versions of what are mostly Sinatra standards, but that said this is an infectious, grab you by the throat and above all fun album, (even the colourful sleeve and titular fonts used bring an overwhelming sense of the summertime) of course it is as professionally produced as all of the Sinatra/Riddle collaborations but one gets the feeling that everyone involved is enjoying themselves as much as they can in a pressured studio situation.

That coupled with one of the slowest, and for my money, under-represented album threads in our recordings section I felt why not give this collection a bit of a jump start for a sunny blue skied July.

Quintessenital Sinatra.

Marty, you got it right with this great sounding album. I have always loved it and for my money some of the Reprise recordings on this album are unbeatable.

I won't say that I've Got You Under My Skin or In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning or How Little It Matters, How Little We Know , Witchcraft, Young at Heartor even All the Way actually top their original superb and innovative Capitol versions, although the sound of the orchestrations in stereo is superior; but all these Reprise recordings nevertheless do represent top quality re-recorded performances of Frank's masterful Capitol hits and each of the songs are still quite definitive in their own way. Moreover they work very well in their new form as, somehow Frank manages to bring them up to date to match his more mature Reprise persona.

Some of the recordings on this album, however, are definitely superior in my opinion and certainly represent the definitive Sinatra recording. I speak of:

The Second Time Around (I have always preferred the 1963 version of this song.) Nancy
    Oh! What It Seemed to Be and Put Your Dreams Away

and I mention also the new songs
    Pocketful of Miracles
    Call Me Irresponsible

that did not appear on any album previously. They made it on the fast track to being among Frank's favourites - and rightfully so in my view.

Its a wonderful album and every track is a winner. what more can anyone say?
    Jeffrey

Great selection....'Pocketful of Miracles' is a very fun tune, very up, well orchestrated and performed.
    Rick
    The enemy of truth is distortion.

My sealed original (R9) stereo U.S. LP, w/sticker promoting "Call Me Irresponsible":

Looks nice, Martin! I have the mono version with the alternate take of Pocketful Of Miracles. The sound of this LP is superb.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Thanks Allen. The "Call Me Irresponsible" sticker isn't seen very often, so with this "Album of the Month" thread, I wanted to add a picture of this copy.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    My sealed original (R9) stereo U.S. LP, w/sticker promoting "Call Me Irresponsible":

Lovely, lovely album - and the weight - GREAT!
    Jeffrey