Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Frank Sinatra Edition Chrysler Imperial.

1. Smile

David, what a beautiful photo !!
    See FRANK smile in his superb car, it's wonderful!
    Thank you for publishing it!

"Sinatra... The Imperial Collection"

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    I've always been curious which cassettes came with it.... would almost certainly have been some Reprise albums, maybe the Trilogy three-tape set?

Martin's link doesn't seem to work now, so here's some additional information.

A collection of sixteen FS cassette releases and a leather tote bag were given as a premium for purchasers of the Chrysler Imperial FS edition.

It Might As Well Be Swing
    Academy Award Winners
    Sinatra's Sinatra
    Softly As I Leave You
    September Of My Years
    My Kind Of Broadway
    Strangers In The Night
    That's Life
    The World We Knew
    Cycles
    My Way
    A Man Alone
    Trilogy [3 tapes]
    ....."The Past"
    ....."The Present"
    ....."The Future"
    Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits [Volume 1]

From the Chrysler Dealer Ordering Brochure:

"Sinatra did it his way–selecting 16 of his favorite cassette albums for the Imperial FS." ...

"Your 16 Frank Sinatra tapes are sent to your dealer and presented to you when you take delivery of your new Imperial FS. These tapes come in a special tote bag designed by Mark Cross, one of America's premier leather manufacturers. In the Mark Cross tradition, the tote bag is constructed of the highest-quality scratch-resistant leather with leather straps and solid brass fittings."

From the Milwaukee Journal (February 22, 1981):

A copy of Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits [Volume 1] (Reprise FSK-2274) was included with the Dealer Ordering Brochure for the 1981 Imperial FS.

The Reprise LP promotional item has been referred to as the bonus or "give-away" for buyers of the Imperial FS. A February 12, 1981 Chrysler Corporation memo from J.H. Pyle (Vice President-U.S. Auto Sales) to Imperial dealers refutes this claim.

"Enclosed is your complete Dealer Ordering Brochure containing complete information on the all-new limited edition Imperial FS, designed to appeal to the most discriminating luxury car shoppers. Also enclosed is a recording of 'Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits' for your personal listening pleasure."

Regarding the number of 1981 and 1982 FS edition Imperials produced, there is a lot of conflicting information. So far, the best evidence is this dealership display, which indicates 326 for the 1982 model alone.

Here is the FS TV commercial for the Imperial (prior to the FS edition), which Bob mentioned (with a now-obsolete link) in Post 21 of the related It's Time For You thread.

Source: YouTube

Last edited by AndrewT; 05-19-2014 at 09:20 AM.
    Andrew

3. Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
    Here is the FS TV commercial for the Imperial (prior to the FS edition), which Bob mentioned (with a now-obsolete link) in Post 21 of the related It's Time For You thread.
    The now-obsolete linked web page is archived here, but without its original embedded videos. From a followup article in the same blog comes this photo of the 16 cassettes and Mark Cross tote bag, plus additional details. The cassettes fit into two holder trays which could be placed in the car's center floor console:

According to that article, "Only 517 Sinatra editions were made in '81 and '82 between the U.S. and Canada."

Bob in Boston

Whatta beauty!

Fantastic,I've never seen this footage and this advertisement is so cool!

A copy of Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits LP (Reprise FSK-2274) in the Chrysler dealer promo packaging (see post #22) was sold today on an eBay auction, "Rare Frank Sinatra Chrysler Imperial Promo LP Sealed," for $355.99 (Bidders: 5, Bids: 85).

Quote Originally Posted by eBay Seller
    You are bidding on a Rare Frank Sinatra Chrysler Imperial Promo LP Sealed.

This record is sealed. I don’t know much about this record except that it was done as a promo for the Frank Sinatra Edition of the Chrysler Imperial. It has a sticker on the front that says Dealer Copy.

Last edited by AndrewT; 01-29-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    Andrew

On my bucket list of things that will probably never happen is to own a Frank Sinatra Edition Imperial. Imagine how much fun it would be to drive through town with the windows down and FS blaring through the speakers.

I wonder how many of them are still around if there were only 278 made. I like this picture I found on Google - an aircraft hangar seems appropriate.

let the music play as long as there's a song to sing

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I wonder how many of them are still around if there were only 278 made.
    I found this listing for a 1982 one in Canada. According to the photos and description, it still has the FS cassette collection premium.

Last edited by AndrewT; 01-30-2020 at 08:57 AM.
    Andrew

Nice, thanks Andrew! Looks like that was a 2015 listing (which is probably a good thing...) One day, maybe
    let the music play as long as there's a song to sing

Imperial FS

I am planning to sell my 1982 Imperial FS (Sinatra edition) soon because I have too many cars. The car is straight and rust-free with a clean/clear title in my name. It features the factory (dealer installed) carb conversion which means it is reliable and will pass any smog visual inspection. Everything in the car works electrically including the digital dash. This car runs, drives and stops smoothly but does need paint and headliner. I'm located in Oregon; an hour south of Portland.

Bryan, I must call your attention to one of the Forum Rules: Unauthorized advertisements and/or solicitations without the express consent of The Sinatra Family Forum are strictly prohibited. Marketing initiatives whether direct, indirect or veiled are also strictly prohibited.

Any further posts soliciting potential buyers on this site will be removed, and you will risk being banned from the SFF. Sorry, but that's not the purpose of Nancy's website.
    Pack a small bag....

That said, thank you for the photo of the best looking Imperial that Chrysler ever made. Always trailing Caddys and Lincolns in sales numbers (deservedly) in the late 50s, I remember seeing one of these (same color) on the street circa 1985 and thinking: "I'd like to own that car." Little did I know the connection to our favorite singer. I might have found the cash for a used one. I'm one of those who have never owned a brand new car in my life.

"Come make us an omelet," she says passing by the doorway, "and what cheese would you like?" Knowing what she wants, the answer is: "I'd like Swiss."
    Last edited by Mark Blackburn; 06-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.

I'm sorry for that oversight! That's what I get for not reading the fine print; thank you for pointing it out.

Regarding these Imperials, Frank did indeed drive the first new 81 Imperial off the assembly line but it wasn't a Frank Sinatra edition (FS) because the option was introduced later. Frank, Barbara, and the Gregory Pecks (wife) arrived in Michigan to pick up there cars at a planned, orchestrated event officiated by Lee Iacocca.

See this post on the previous page, which contains the following photo.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    Andrew

Imagine... own a Frank Sinatra edition of a car.
    It´s a car to preserve. (in my opinion).
    S V Peluzio Jr

The Sinatras and the Pecks took delivery of their new Imperials at the manufacturing plant in Windsor Ontario in August 1980. Note Iacocca at the podium and the Sinatras and the Pecks in the front row. Afterwards Frank took the podium and said a few words.

August 1980 @ Windsor plant; the Sinatras with Iacocca.

If you didn't see Tina in a commercial for this car, you're missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich K View Post
    If you didn't see Tina in a commercial for this car, you're missing something.
    Commercial with FS and Tina:

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post

Source: YouTube

Andrew

This is just awesome! I actually cannot think of any other special edition car that bears a recording artist's name. There are other cars with individual celebrity names on them, but a singer? I can't recall one.
    Peter