Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album of the Month Club #38 (Nov 2010) "Come Fly with Me"

1. Frank Sinatra : Album of the Month Club #38 (Nov 2010) "Come Fly with Me"

Frank Sinatra : Album of the Month Club #38 (Nov 2010) "Come Fly with Me"

1."Come Fly With Me" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:19
    2."Around the World" (Victor Young, Harold Adamson) – 3:20
    3."Isle of Capri" (Will Grosz, Jimmy Kennedy) – 2:29
    4."Moonlight in Vermont" (Karl Suessdorf, John Blackburn) – 3:32
    5."Autumn in New York" (Vernon Duke) – 4:37
    6."On the Road to Mandalay" (Oley Speaks, Rudyard Kipling) – 3:28
    7."Let's Get Away from It All" (Matt Dennis, Tom Adair) – 2:11
    8."April in Paris" (Duke, E.Y. Harburg) – 2:50
    9."London By Night" (Carroll Coates) – 3:30
    10."Brazil" (Ary Barroso, Bob Russell) – 2:55
    11."Blue Hawaii" (Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger) – 2:44
    12."It's Nice to go Trav'ling" (Cahn, Van Heusen) – 3:52

CD reissue bonus tracks not included on the original 1958 release:

13."Chicago" (Fred Fisher) – 2:14
    14."South of the Border" (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Carr) – 2:50
    15."I Love Paris" (Cole Porter) – 1:49

Well I had the honour of being asked to present this month’s album I know it’s a little late, it’s just I’ve been a bit busy with Uni stuff but here it is: Come Fly With Me!

This album serves as a fantastic introduction to Sinatra’s music featuring a stellar mix of hard swingers and tender ballads. Arranged by Billy May, recorded in October of 1957 and released in 1958, the album hit #1 on Billboard’s album chart and stayed there for 5 weeks (it remained on the chart in total for 71 weeks). The album was also nominated for album of the year at the inaugural Grammys, amazingly it didn’t win!

The album holds a special significance to me as it was the first Sinatra studio album I ever purchased up until then it had been compilations, most notably My Way: The Best of Frank Sinatra and Classic Sinatra. Then I picked up this and was astounded by its beauty and to be frank (see what I did there! ) it’s perfection. A brilliant opening number sets the stage for a thrilling trip round the world with Frank Sinatra.

Come Fly With Me is one of Sinatra’s most recognised songs and it’s easy to see why; as a vocal it’s clearly superb especially that ending and Billy May’s arrangement is one of the finest he ever wrote for Frank. The ballads are all true examples of why Frank Sinatra is the best ballad singer there ever was. I find it hard to pick a favourite as they’re all executed so well, Sinatra delivers a fine lesson in breath control and phrasing in all of them. Billy May proves here that he was just as adept at writing for strings as he was for brass. The excitement Frank and Billy May pack into the swingers is another matter entirely, for proof of this just listen to Brazil! One of the all time great Sinatra swingers that every Sinatra fan can’t help but love.

This is a fun album that deserves a place in not just any Sinatra fan’s library but also for any music lover. Any way that’s enough of me rambling; now it’s your turn to discuss the Capitol classic! If you haven’t heard these masterpieces in a while go give it a spin now!

Here's a link to the original album thread: https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8053

2. I hope a moderator could edit my post to include the original album art as I have no idea what I'm doing, many thanks!

3. Nice job, Josh!

The album actually stayed on the Billboard charts for 71 weeks! It was Frank's first No. 1 album for Capitol Records (and his first since 1946).

See this post (which may supply the album art): Album Release: COME FLY WITH ME

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    Nice job, Josh!

The album actually stayed on the Billboard charts for 71 weeks! It was Frank's first No. 1 album for Capitol Records (and his first since 1946).
    Thanks Bob! I couldn't find out how long it remained on the chart in it's entirety just for how long at number one, I'll edit my post to include this info, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I hope a moderator could edit my post to include the original album art as I have no idea what I'm doing, many thanks!
    Here's the cover photo, if you need one.

Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

6. Thanks, Allen. Josh, if you'd like to move the cover picture just go to 'edit' then ' go advanced' and 'manage attachments' in your post.

Good job Josh, and one of the classic albums of all time, not just by Frank, by anyone.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Thanks, Allen. Josh, if you'd like to move the cover picture just go to 'edit' then ' go advanced' and 'manage attachments' in your post.
    Thanks Allen and Nancy it's much appreciated!

Exactly Nick! It's one of the great albums of all time, they really don't make 'em like this anymore, which is such a shame.

Come Fly With Me is one of my favorites albums!
    LOURDIE
    Frank Sinatra: You will be my music.

Great choice! One of the best concept albums ever. This disc never fails to cheer me up!
    Rob

Put this album on now, encouraged by this thread. Playing the individual CD from the British Capitol Years Set, which sounds excellent on most tracks. My favourites from the album are probably Brazil for the fun of it, and the evocative moodiness of Blue Hawaii.

One Of The Great Works Of Musical Art!

Let me put it this way...any album that includes music and lyrics by multiple Academy Award Winners -- Victor Young, Yip Harburg, Leo Robin, Ralph Rainger, Sammy Cahn, and Jimmy Van Heusen -- plus musical creations by some 'fairly good' writers named Porter, Duke & Dennis; and even a lyric by a Nobel Prize Laureate -- can't be all bad!

Terrific choice!
    Stanley

Great choice, Josh! An absolute winner of an album all the way around. Fresh as ever, thrilling musically, another great, great, great Sinatra concept album.
    David B.

No matter how down I feel, I can give this album 1 listen and I am singing really bad and dancing also bad around and cheerful again. Works like babies' laughter and doggie kisses.
    Mary

Along with the fantastic music, this has to be one of the all-time iconic album covers.

I have always loved the look of this LP. I believe the cover has been used (in different versions or updates) on a couple of different special releases over the years too.
    Rob

My first intro to this album was in the 7th or 8th grade. It was an English class, and we were studying poems, including Kipling's Mandalay. Our teacher must've been a huge Sinatra fan; because she could not resist bringing in her CFWM LP and regaling us with Frank's rendition of Mandalay.

I don't think it made much of an impression. I think we students in our early teens thought it sounded strange in the early 70's.

Now, of course, the album is a favorite of mine. I have an old LP album cover of it framed in my office at work (along with Songs For Swingin' Lovers, Only the Lonely and Wee Small Hours).

I like to listen to the version from the little black box without the bonus tracks. I have read that the mono version is supposed to be superior to the stereo release. I'd like to hear it; but the LP that was in my album cover is too scratched to really tell (I really only bought it to frame the cover).

The mono version is better in some respects, not in others. It's different, with the mono and 3 track (stereo) each utilizing a different mic setup on the orchestra, unique "live" mixing choices on the mono, etc.

I first heard this album when I was around 10 years old, via my gray label mono LP purchased new by my father. My young ears thought it was OK, but a little soft and blah(!) at times. I didn't hate it or love it overall, though I played it occasionally for about a year or so and then left it alone for quite a while. When I started getting more heavily into Mr. Sinatra's recordings at 18, I gave COME FLY WITH ME another try, and liked it a little more than I remembered, but it still didn't "click" with me as a whole. Then one night after some time - I don't know what it was - but the album really made a great impression, and I've loved it a lot ever since. A very well thought out album and interesting choice for a concept, with some of Frank's best performances, and great arrangements. Billy May's uptempo work often gets more general notice (they're great), but the ballad arrangements here are really beautiful, and every bit as good as the hard stuff. "Moonlight In Vermont" is the best song on the album to me, and one of my very favorite recordings of all by Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    The mono version is better in some respects, not in others. It's different, with the mono and 3 track (stereo) each utilizing a different mic setup on the orchestra, unique "live" mixing choices on the mono, etc.
    I spoke too soon about the condition of the vinyl of my LP. After I cleaned it up it sounded quite good (it is one of those gray label LP's). I recorded it to my hard drive and cleaned up a few clicks and pops and it really is impressive. I guess I prejudged it because the cover had been taped together at the top; but the vinyl had been well preserved.

Over all, I prefer it to the stereo mix. The track that sounds the most different to me is the opening one. The piano and harp are much more prominent; the brass is not as harsh or as loud, and you can hear FS loud and clear.

I think my reaction to Come Fly With Me is similar to yours. I've always loved the title track; but when I got the album on CD, I considered it somewhat lightweight. It now strikes me as a brilliant mix, from lighthearted and clever songs to the high drama of April in Paris. I think I've played it straight through about 4 times after recording that LP to CD last weekend.
    11-22-10: I became the 1000th member of the Sinatra Family forum!

After Josh's great work this month, have we got a December Album of the month?

20. Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    After Josh's great work this month, have we got a December Album of the month?
    Thanks for the compliment Nick!

Marty said in the general album of the month thread that December's album falls to David A so hopefully that thread will be active soon! Looking forward to seeing what's chosen.