Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #40 (Aug 2011) The Film Soundtracks

Frank Sinatra : Album Of The Month Club #40 (Aug 2011) The Film Soundtracks

Ok so I've cheated and haven't gone for 1 album but a theme of several outstanding albums from the Sinatra canon "The Soundtracks" but I hope after a brief respite the range and variation of these albums, sounds and moods stimulates discussion. I've been reasonably proscriptive as to what I have included, namely all the official soundtracks albums from Young at Heart to Robin and the Seven Hoods. There are a number of Instrumental Only soundtracks to Franks films that I have excluded, and also the Reprise Repetory Theater albums which were a project of their own, and worthy of their own thread.

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8121 - The works, altogether, every film soundtrack song in one place and one of the most interesting of the big boxsets in that much of the material had never appeared on CD before release, and in a lot of cases never available anywhere since the original films release. Even to the hardened collector this box had surprises and is one of the best career flypasts and the only box to contain music from the boy singer with the Dorsey band right up to the Fedora/Rat Pack era. (Aside from the now hard to find deluxe edition of Nancy's book which has 4 great CD's from each "era").

Young at Heart
    - I've included this although its known by a number of different names as an album and isn't a true soundtrack album in the strict definition, containing as it does a number of Frank's Columbia songs that had nothing to do with the film, nonetheless its a good reminder of the era when Frank and Doris were 2 of the biggest stars of their time, arguably in 1953/54 she was a bigger star than him, before Frank went on to eclipse them all.

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8437 A joy of a soundtrack, if a rather short one, from beginning to end. Louis, Frank and Bing, add in Grace Kelly, and what is there not to like? Did you Evah remains perhaps Frank's most famous film song and duet, with True Love being Crosby's, White Christmas aside. Frank is much less innocent in Pal Joey and Can Can, and the late 50's early 60's swinging style is present in abundance, not just on the film but throughout the music. Pal Joey to my mind has much the better score than Can Can but with appearances from everyone from Rita Hayworth to Louis Jourdan on both of them, its an eclectic mix.

https://sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8691 I can't recommend the Steve Hoffman remastered CD highly enough, its the best sounding CD from any of Franks many from the era and stock full of classics from the knowing "I Like to Lead When I Dance" to Don't be a Do Badder with a couple of nice appearances from the late Peter Falk, long before he donned his raincoat. Family Guy recently did a lengthy and word perfect version of "Mister Booze" when Peter has been sent to detox. All in all the most fun of all the soundtracks.

In a link to the Statue in Times Square discussion, there are almost too many songs to list that started out as Broadway shows that Frank then recorded either on record or on film, and I can think of few singers who did more to put songs from musicals into the public domain.

Anyway thats enough of an intro, I hope everyone has a lot to discuss about the music, the writers, the arrangements, favourite songs and so on.

Nice collection Nick, I'm still looking for " Robin & The 7 Hoods" and " Can-Can" but I have " High Society" and " Pal Joey" two fabulous albums, and " Sinatra In Hollywood " is a must.

Oh and now I see there is "Young At Heart" I don't think I've read about this one before, or maybe I have and forgotten....interesting.Whoops now I've re- read your post.

Love these songs.
    "I Could Have Danced All Night...".

On CD both are hard to find now Tina, Can-Can especially. The CD box in the top right of the 2nd picture is a Capitol Australia issue that put all 3 of the Capitol soundtracks together, I was lucky to find it, wonder if any light could be shed on who mastered it as there are minimal liner notes and it doesnt sound quite good enough to be a Larry Walsh although it is from the late 80's.

Smile

I sure would like to be part of this!
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Bradley78 View Post
    On CD both are hard to find now Tina, Can-Can especially. The CD box in the top right of the 2nd picture is a Capitol Australia issue that put all 3 of the Capitol soundtracks together, I was lucky to find it, wonder if any light could be shed on who mastered it as there are minimal liner notes and it doesnt sound quite good enough to be a Larry Walsh although it is from the late 80's.
    You were lucky to find them as a package, every time I think I've found " Can-Can" it turns out to be the vinyl version.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    Oh and now I see there is "Young At Heart" I don't think I've read about this one before, or maybe I have and forgotten....interesting.
    Link to Frank's Recordings: YOU'RE MY THRILL/YOUNG AT HEART (Columbia) 2004

Bob in Boston

Ah thanks Bob, it's a pretty oldish thread, and I hadn't seen it. Cheers.

8. "Can-Can" CD

The CD box in the top right of the 2nd picture is a Capitol Australia issue that put all 3 of the Capitol soundtracks together, I was lucky to find it, wonder if any light could be shed on who mastered it as there are minimal liner notes and it doesnt sound quite good enough to be a Larry Walsh although it is from the late 80's.
    The Australian 3-CD set was issued in 1997, not from the late '80s, Nick. It's certainly not by Larry Walsh, who was no longer mastering for Capitol at that time. My guess is it was done in-house by EMI Music Group Australia from poor multi-generation tape dubs. It's the worst-sounding Capitol Sinatra I own.

OTOH, the rare USA Capitol CD (catalog no. CDP 7 91248 2) from 1989 sounds much better. That one, believe it or not, claims "Digitally mastered by Bob Norberg at Capitol Recording Studios." (A very early effort by Norberg, at a time when Larry Walsh was doing most of the Sinatra remasters for CD.)

Bob in Boston

My Pal Joey is the 1989 US Capitol, my High Society a 1991 Japanese one TOCP-6587 (one spine in Japanese, the other and the cover in English). I don't have a separate Can-Can as Ive balked at paying $100 plus for it on CD. The vinyl however as pictured is my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Boston View Post
    OTOH, the rare USA Capitol CD from 1989 sounds much better. That one, believe it or not, claims "Digitally mastered by Bob Norberg at Capitol Recording Studios." (A very early effort by Norberg, at a time when Larry Walsh was doing most of the Sinatra remasters for CD.)

Bob in Boston
    Mine says that on " Pal Joey" Ooh how rare is it

The 1989 issues came and went very quickly if I recall, and its hard to find them correctly labelled, you can just as easily end up with some horrible sounding grey-market European knock off as the original.

12. Re: "Frank Sinatra in Hollywood" box set

the only box to contain music from the boy singer with the Dorsey band right up to the Fedora/Rat Pack era. (Aside from the now hard to find deluxe edition of Nancy's book which has 4 great CD's from each "era").
    Off-topic note: Nothing to do with the film soundtracks, but there is another such set spanning Sinatra's entire career. See Sinatra: Soundtrack To The CBS Mini-Series.

Bob in Boston

Hmm you got me, but its not just Sinatra, and only a double disc rather than a "boxset"! A good one though which I don't play enough.

I bought both the Frank Sinatra in Hollywood boxset and the Steve Hoffman "gold" version of Robin and the 7 Hoods when they were released and can only second Nick Bradley's words of praise. Both have given me many hours of pleasure and Mr. Booze, in particular, has become a favorite of several people I know who had never heard it before I introduced them to it, from the Hoffman-mastered disc.

I have a question, however, about the Hollywood box. The excellent notes, which I don't have at hand, refer tantalizingly to a wonderful recording by Frank of (as I recall) If I Loved You, from Carousel, which apparently couldn't be included due to copyright problems. I've been waiting ever since for those problems to be resolved, but haven't heard a word. Any information about this?
    Mike

It's from a couple of days before the Solilioquy outtake and was a complete duet of If I Loved You with Shirley Jones. As yet officially unreleased still, but part of the same abandoned Sinatra role in "Carousel". I've read You'll Never Walk Alone and a couple of other songs were recorded but have never heard them, Soliloquy remains the only officially released part of that soundtrack involving Frank to my knowledge.

a complete duet of If I Loved You with Shirley Jones
    If the clip on the Sinatra The Classic Duets DVD of FS and Shirley singing it on his TV show is any indication, it is a beautiful duet. We can only hope it will be released someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina... View Post
    Mine says that on " Pal Joey" Ooh how rare is it
    I got lucky and found Pal Joey in a used bin cheap. One listen to it with headsets and you can really tell it's a Noreberg master and not a misprint.
    - Terry

"Each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race".

18. This is such a marvelous choice for a thread, Nick. Thanks so much.

I enjoyed it Nancy and gave me the chance to play those soundtracks again.

Nice thread, Nick. The soundtrack recordings are an essential part of Frank's career. I play them often.

The Hollywood box set is one of the best collections on CD and full of tracks I didn't even know about. My top favorite among the unknowns is The Man With The Golden Arm, what a terrific recording. The sound quality is top notch too!

High Society is my favorite musical and so is the soundtrack. Did You Evah? is one of the two greatest duets ever (the other being Somethin' Stupid). Bing's line "You must be one of the newer fellas" makes me laugh every time. The film version of The Lady Is A Tramp from Pal Joey is the best, to me. Love the way Frank pronounces "theater." And FS singing It's Alright With Me is the highlight in Can-Can. Three great albums that should be re-released.

I have the Young At Heart soundtrack for the Doris Day tracks.

I also still need to get the Gold CD of Robin And The 7 Hoods.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."