Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1235

Thread: What the Climate Crisis Looks Like

1. Typical.
    We'd better impeach this jerk or we're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Typical.
    We'd better impeach this jerk or we're doomed.
    Yup!

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

I was chatting with Dr. Opstbaum the other day. He was mentioning that AGW seems to be playing a good and bad role as far as hurricanes are concerned. He said that upper level winds tend to shear off the tops of these storms preventing them from growing. On the other hand the ones that don't get their tops sheared off are able to grow larger because they have more energy to tap into with the warmer waters.

Seems that Irma, the most powerful Atlantic hurricane ever, with sustained winds of 185 mph and gusts to 225 mph, is one of those that didn't get it's top sheared off. I'm hoping that the storm diminishes before making landfall here in the US.

With Harvey and Irma it seems the title of Dr. Hansen's book is even more appropriate than ever:

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Seems 45 has already been hit by Irma:

Hurricane Irma Slams Into Mansion Donald Trump Is Trying To Sell

It seems Irma is now on track to also hit Mar-a-Lago.

Will this be his wake-up call?

5. GOD, I hope so. But according to 45 there is no Global Warming.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

6. Global warming is going to destroy our planet, if not Kim and Donald will...
    It's nice to go trav'ling...

I'm still trying to grasp how does the Pope get it but our top leaders don't

Pope Francis On Climate Change Denial: ‘Man Is Stupid’

So the US has been hit with two CAT 4 hurricanes within a few weeks of each other. This has happened zero times in recorded history. A friend at work reminded me of this Real Time with Bill Maher episode:

Source: YouTube

I remember watching it and thinking, wow, Bob Lutz is crazy and its just a matter of time before the Keys get hit. Almost everything he said was wrong.

In a quick internet search I found that it seems the Lutz house is (or was) on Pine Key. It turns out that Irma passed less than 10 miles from his house and on the 'dirty' side!

I sure hope he wasn't home at the time!

Has this denier changed his tune? Probably not.
    Last edited by MikeHOU; 09-14-2017 at 05:02 AM.

9. Has this denier changed his tune? Probably not.
    I don't know what it will take to reach these people.

Maria now CAT 5 in about 24 hours!!

Last I saw, she's following Irma's path. All one can do there is get out and pray that something will be left when it's over.
    Out of the tree of life, I picked me a plum

The amazing fact is that Maria went from CAT 1 to CAT 5 in just 15 hours. From what I've read only Wilma in 2005 was faster - it made it in 12 hours. This is the 4th CAT 4 or higher storm.

Seems there is ample heat stored in the ocean for these storms to tap into. And that is the purpose of hurricanes - to transport excess heat away from the equator.

13. And that is the purpose of hurricanes - to transport excess heat away from the equator.
    I had no idea! Thanks, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHOU View Post
    The amazing fact is that Maria went from CAT 1 to CAT 5 in just 15 hours. From what I've read only Wilma in 2005 was faster - it made it in 12 hours. This is the 4th CAT 4 or higher storm.

Seems there is ample heat stored in the ocean for these storms to tap into. And that is the purpose of hurricanes - to transport excess heat away from the equator.

And we're early in the season. As Jolson once said....you ain't seen nothing yet. Also saw something interesting yesterday. Our head of EPA now isn't sure what the human contribution to climate change is, but there may be some. Look for him to get his walking papers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Szulczewski View Post
    Our head of EPA now isn't sure what the human contribution to climate change is, but there may be some.
    Yeah, its so sad that there is no way for him to know for sure. If only there were a group of scientists that could inform him on the subject.

National Academy of Sciences report links extreme weather to climate change

Scott Pruitt is a tool for the fossil fuel industry. His goal is obvious: to decimate the EPA and anything having to do with global warming.

16. Scott Pruitt is a tool for the fossil fuel industry. His goal is obvious: to decimate the EPA and anything having to do with global warming.
    trump has a way of finding these fools. I wish they would all just go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    trump has a way of finding these fools. I wish they would all just go away.
    Unfortunately, during the campaign, he sent a message: "The American middle class is getting screwed, and I'm going to do something about it." Too many bought it and we have to deal with the results. Little did they know that what he was going to do about it is intensify the screwing.

18. Not to dip my toe into the acid bath of politics, but...

I was just watching coverage of DT with children in the Oval Office promoting education in "science, technology, engineering, and math" for K-12 students. I'm struck by the hypocrisy of this administration which denies peer-reviewed climate science.

I'll now retreat from this thread again, while my feet are still intact.

Bob.

Yup, Bob, I very much agree. It's just a photo-op.

Its all a bit discouraging and I'm not sure how Dr. Hansen continues to press on. He's been sounding the alarm bells since at least 1988 with very little to show for it, as demonstrated by the Keeling curve:

IMHO, it seems there is little to no hope in preventing the crossing of the tipping point (maybe we already have) when nothing can be done to prevent catastrophic melting. When that happens we will have turned off earths refrigerator and sea levels will begin to rise to 70 meters or 230 feet. This has happened to the earth before, but not with billions of people along for the ride.

We've been talking about this basically since I joined in 2003. In those 14 years it seems we may have taken a step forward and then 3 back. I continue to feel sad for future generations.