Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,341 to 1,357 of 1357

Thread: What the Climate Crisis Looks Like

1. And the children will teach us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    And the children will teach us.
    She was great...can't imagine doing that at 15 years old...amazing!

The real power belongs to the people!

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Hansen has been backing these amazing young folks that include his granddaughter:

Source: YouTube

Our Children's Trust

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

4. It saddens me to know we have made such a mess of things for future generations. I hope they'll forgive us one day.

5. I HOPE THIS GENERATION FIGURES IT OUT SO THERE IS A WORLD TO PASS ON TO THEIR CHILDREN.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

It saddens me to know we have made such a mess of things for future generations. I hope they'll forgive us one day.
    We really need to ask what happened to the environmental activists in the 60s whose clamor brought about EPA and the environmental and workplace safety laws that are on the books today. Did we become so jaded when we became the establishment? Was Janis Joplin absolutely correct in her assessment that tomorrow never comes...…...it only becomes today?
    Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plum

7. This crossed my path today. I'm not certain of the source.:
    An extraordinary atmospheric planetary wave, over thirty miles high, covering earth's entire northern hemisphere, will break over the north pole on Christmas day. This wave, which will transfer tremendous amounts of heat to the upper stratosphere, is likely to split the polar vortex in two. This will likely drive cold air out of the Arctic towards the central and eastern U.S. in January and February.

8. "It's nice to go trav'ling..."

This crossed my path today. I'm not certain of the source.:
    I found the article on the Daily Kos, but without attribution.
    Pack a small bag....

The source seems to be Dr. Judah Cohen. He obtained his PhD from Columbia University and worked at GISS and is now at MIT:

http://tinyurl.com/y9woaa2a

http://www.judahcohen.org/

I think Fareed Zakaria explains it well and even references Cohen.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/0...ate-change.cnn

Hansen feels that the winter for the US, as a whole, will be warmer than normal:

http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/Temp...vember2018.pdf

An extraordinary atmospheric planetary wave, over thirty miles high, covering earth's entire northern hemisphere, will break over the north pole on Christmas day. This wave, which will transfer tremendous amounts of heat to the upper stratosphere, is likely to split the polar vortex in two. This will likely drive cold air out of the Arctic towards the central and eastern U.S. in January and February.
    Do you suppose the ongoing major winter storm in the midwest is a result? https://www.foxnews.com/us/at-least-...nter-storm-gia
    Pack a small bag....

Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    Do you suppose the ongoing major winter storm in the midwest is a result? https://www.foxnews.com/us/at-least-...nter-storm-gia
    I think its possible, but I'm no expert.

So far in Jersey, it's been a mild winter with temperatures above freezing for all but a couple of days. The Weather Service is predicting one day of single digit to teens (Monday the 21st). That used to be common here.

The largest unknown, according to Hansen, was how fast the ice sheets would respond to the warming. It seems they are responding faster than anyone predicted:

A Tipping Point.' Greenland's Ice Is Melting Much Faster Than Previously Thought, Scientists Say

15. So we truly are witnessing the beginning of the end. I hope we can stop it in time.

16. Do you think it will happen in our lifetime, Nancy? I do not have children or grandchildren who need the earth. But I would like it to be here for my former students.
    A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

My favorite song.

This can probably be turned around if we follow the path that will decrease the CO2 and methane concentrations in our atmosphere. The ironic thing is that American industry is taking many of the necessary steps, to the consternation of our nation's "leadership." Our best hope is that our "leaders" get their heads out of that dark, smelly place that they have them so firmly planted or the American voters put them on the unemployment lines come 2020.

Hopefully, industry will continue to be proactive. Nuclear needs to be in the power generation mix. The Gen4 reactors can help take care of the nuclear waste that we have sitting around, as well. It can be a win-win. Depends on what leadership wants to do.