Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Return To Space

Thank you, Mike! The work you and your team continue to do is truly remarkable. You all are the true rockstars of the world.

2. Quote Originally Posted by dominique15 View Post
    Thank you, Mike! The work you and your team continue to do is truly remarkable. You all are the true rockstars of the world.
    So true!

It is fun and rewarding. Today was an exciting day. One of the guys I work with on a daily basis received the Silver Snoopy Award for flight safety and mission success.

It is always presented by an astronaut and today it was Ricky Arnold

He told us the story behind Snoopy. NASA wanted to use it because of how many folks loved the Charles M. Schulz character. But they couldn't use it without permission because of copyright issues. So NASA approached Schulz, who was a big NASA fan and he immediately agreed under one condition: that he get to design the pin.

Last edited by MikeHOU; 09-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

4. Love the pin! Thanks, Mike. Thanks, Mr. Schultz. Thanks, Snoopy.

More progress...our recent parachute test was a success

Source: YouTube

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." -- Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

6. Seems like it saves a lot of money on fuel!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Seems like it saves a lot of money on fuel!
    Yes, Nancy, I'm sure that is one of the reasons Boeing performed the test in that way!

Seems we now have target dates for flying the Starliner:

NASA’s Commercial Crew Program Target Flight Dates

The Orbital Flight Test (OFT) will not have astronauts on-board.

However, after that successful flight the Crew Flight Test (CFT) follows in short order.

Falcon Heavy test

Video is here. Elon Musk's SpaceX program continues to excite! What's impressive is the cheering of the teams of engineers as each checkpoint is passed. Mr. Musk has assembled an eager bunch of players. And using his Tesla roadster for the test load, instead of concrete, typifies his thinking out of the box. Fast-forward to around 18 minutes for the launch.
    Pack a small bag....

10. I loved being able to watch those boosters come back down and land without a hitch.
    WOW!

Elon Musk is a tough competitor and puts his money where his mouth is.

It was fun (and funny) to see his Starman riding a Tesla in earth orbit.

A very impressive first outing for the Falcon Heavy!! I think the only mishap was the core booster, which was supposed to land on a platform in the Atlantic, failed to do so. No doubt they will fix that for the next launch.

Congrats to the entire SpaceX team on a job well done!

This was an impressive engineering feat:

Last week my technical manager, Tom Mulder, a rendezvous expert, gave a talk in Suffern, NY about the CST-100 or Starliner.

If you're interested here is that talk (go to time 5:34:00) :

Source: YouTube

The MC is my childhood friend Vinny Coulehan - so it was fun!

SpaceX seems to have had a very successful demonstration flight for their crewed vehicle! This is a great thing not only for their company but for our country. We hope to follow very shortly (end of next month) with our Starliner demo flight which we call Orbital Flight Test (or OFT.) One of the major differences between us and SpaceX is that we will land on land and reuse the command module. SpaceX lands in water and throws away their command module, however they recover their booster to be reused and we dispose of ours...tradeoffs...

One thing is for sure it takes a huge amount of work to make this happen. I truly hope the USA never again relinquishes its own way to space. We have been without our own way to space since 2011 - the expected 2 year gap became 8. We should always maintain our leadership role in this and so many other areas. We just need good leadership.

Beautiful capture by NASA astronaut Anne McClain of SpaceX's Crew Dragon approaching the ISS. It also really shows just how thin our atmosphere is.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHOU View Post
    Last week my technical manager, Tom Mulder, a rendezvous expert, gave a talk in Suffern, NY about the CST-100 or Starliner.
    Thanks, good to see Tom. What's with the grey hair??? And you and Doreen got an acknowledgement!
    Pack a small bag....

Quote Originally Posted by Ace917 View Post
    Thanks, good to see Tom. What's with the grey hair??? And you and Doreen got an acknowledgement!
    Hi Cole! The NEAF is run in part by my good buddy, Vinny Coulehan. We went to the total eclipse together in Jackson Hole and he was asking me then if I knew anyone from Boeing who would would be willing to present at NEAF. I thought of Tom right away (he's my technical manager and unlike myself he loves giving presentations )

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHOU View Post
    Beautiful capture by NASA astronaut Anne McClain of SpaceX's Crew Dragon approaching the ISS. It also really shows just how thin our atmosphere is.

Thanks, Mike. One photograph speaks 1000 words. It hopefully will get the word to some skeptics that this is the only barrier that we have that's keeping us all alive here. Much thinner than the skin on a potato or peel on an apple.
    Out of the tree of life, I just picked me a plum

One chart that Tom had in his presentation shows the sequence of maneuvers that we plan to take to arrive at the ISS. After launch we are placed into an orbit that has it's apogee at about 180 km. After a successful separation from the launch vehicle the Starliner guidance, navigation and control (GN&C) take over. For those not familiar navigation determines where we are in space, guidance determines how to get to where we want to go and control determines which jets to use to get there. As shown in the figure there are multiple maneuvers needed to get us from launch vehicle separation to docking with the ISS.